Poll: What will you do when Hossa takes the ice?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

When Marian Hossa takes the Arena ice, I will...

Boo
33%
Cheer
5%
Yell Obscenities
18%
Throw Things
4%
Stay Quiet
40%

Total votes : 112

Re: Poll: What will you do when Hossa takes the ice?

Postby dagny on Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:01 pm

Henry Hank wrote:Who's to say his strategy will work? He'll likely get his money, but the big part of his strategy was winning the Cup this year and then making the money. Even if Detroit is favored, the odds aren't great for a team repeating. He joined an older team in which most of its members have already won multiple Cups. He abandoned an up and coming, very hungry team with unfinished business. Stacked teams in sports rarely seem to do as well as they're expected to do. I hope Hossa gets burned by trying to take the easy way out. I hope he never wins a Cup. Better yet, I hope the Pens are the team that personally prevents him from winning it this year. It's hard to even imagine how glorious that moment would be.

Your posts on this, the past couple of days, seem to mirror my own.

I was indifferent to Hossa's decision until I read in SI, in his own quoted words, that he approached Detroit while leaving Shero waiting on a string.
dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby KG on Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:04 pm

dagny wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:Who's to say his strategy will work? He'll likely get his money, but the big part of his strategy was winning the Cup this year and then making the money. Even if Detroit is favored, the odds aren't great for a team repeating. He joined an older team in which most of its members have already won multiple Cups. He abandoned an up and coming, very hungry team with unfinished business. Stacked teams in sports rarely seem to do as well as they're expected to do. I hope Hossa gets burned by trying to take the easy way out. I hope he never wins a Cup. Better yet, I hope the Pens are the team that personally prevents him from winning it this year. It's hard to even imagine how glorious that moment would be.

I was indifferent to Hossa's decision until I read in SI, in his own quoted words, that he approached Detroit while leaving Shero waiting on a string.

You and I would probably handle things more professionally. But do you think that today's athletes and agents really care about leaving anyone hanging?...It's all about leverage and getting what you want..
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby CKA24 on Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:22 pm

I don't care if athletes or any professionals leave people hanging. It's about having an ounce of human decency. At least be truthful about your leveraging. If you have one franchise committing an offer to you, I believe you have the ethical duty to let them know you are pursuing other suiters...

Oh well... people are out for themselves...
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:22 pm

I'll probably do absolutely nothing.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Samsdog on Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:23 pm

KG wrote:
dagny wrote:

You and I would probably handle things more professionally. But do you think that today's athletes and agents really care about leaving anyone hanging?...It's all about leverage and getting what you want..

There's the paradox. I personally won't boo Hossa because I think he had no obligation to return here and was great for the team, but I can't pretend that I don't think there wasn't a misleading element to his actions, an element that could make people boo him. In the end, I think that he only misled the team because he truly believed this was where he would end up because Detroit was a pretty low likelihood. He was just keeping his backup team in line. I don't agree with it, I think he should have made his intentions clear, but I definitely can't blame him for wanting to make sure that he didn't end up playing somewhere he didn't want to. Yeah, I miss having him on the team, but I've forgiven him. I intend to cheer him, he was a great thing for the team and one of my favorite players regardless.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Guinness on Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:25 pm

Samsdog wrote:

There's the paradox. I personally won't boo Hossa because I think he had no obligation to return here and was great for the team, but I can't pretend that I don't think there wasn't a misleading element to his actions, an element that could make people boo him. In the end, I think that he only misled the team because he truly believed this was where he would end up because Detroit was a pretty low likelihood. He was just keeping his backup team in line. I don't agree with it, I think he should have made his intentions clear, but I definitely can't blame him for wanting to make sure that he didn't end up playing somewhere he didn't want to. Yeah, I miss having him on the team, but I've forgiven him. I intend to cheer him, he was a great thing for the team and one of my favorite players regardless.

And now, I shall 'boo' you:

Boo.

;)
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Samsdog on Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:26 pm

I'm ok with it. I blame no one for booing Hossa, though I like to be high-minded I can't pretend part of me doesn't think he deserves it.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Guinness on Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:34 pm

Samsdog wrote:I'm ok with it. I blame no one for booing Hossa, though I like to be high-minded I can't pretend part of me doesn't think he deserves it.

He does deserve it... because this is a 'game', and has no real bearing on my life other than as an enjoyable outlet to emotions generally best kept in check in normal, civilized society - such as the desire to see a person plastered into/through a wall; open, childish glee when "my" "team" scores/wins... and other basic, tribalistic emotions.

It's a business for them. I'm a fan. I have no expectation of myself or others to behave rationally regarding sports.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitts on Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:35 pm

I voted for "Yell Obscenities" because it sounds like fun!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PenguinSteve-o on Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:47 pm

at least 6,000 people will be booing. I am one of them.
PenguinSteve-o
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby dagny on Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:47 pm

KG wrote:
dagny wrote:

Integrity is too scarce a value today. There is such a thing as business ethics.
dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby dagny on Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:49 pm

Pitts wrote:I voted for "Yell Obscenities" because it sounds like fun!

I voted for that, too. Cuz... what else am I gonna do through my tv? :lol:
dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby cojac on Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:51 pm

A well placed slash to the wrist of Hossa, wouldn't make me feel bad.
A well placed knee to his knee wouldn't make me feel bad.
Hossa getting 3 pts would make me feel bad.
cojac
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby brwi on Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:56 pm

Hope he doesn't score against the Pens.

Brad
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby matto514 on Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:06 pm

I don't get people's elitist attitude toward not booing over booing. My question is, what is the real harm in booing? I know that the answer will be: "It's classless." I think that's somewhat relative though. Classless would be the profane, battery tossing element that exists in places like Philadelphia.

More over, do you really go home after attending a game thinking "wow I wish that everyone hadn't booed tonight."? Booing is a harmless way of expressing our discontent over a situation, or player...relatively speaking. Booing does not equal spewing racial eptithets, or something of that nature. In fact, it probably doesn't deserve this much attention. However, I'm open to doing anything besides work at the moment.
matto514
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pitts on Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:14 pm

Bob McKenzie wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:
ps - His babe isn't exactly a babe.

I gotta disagree. She's hot. Even Stevie Wonder thinks so

I guess if you're into doing matchsticks, sure then.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:17 pm

Bob McKenzie wrote:
Dodgeman921 wrote:I would like to be able to go down to the ice & kick him in the balls since that is what he did to the Pen's & their fans.

I vote for this. Between intermissions, instead of slinging people across the ice into a goal, how about all of the disgruntled Hossa fans line up to kick him in the nads.

That would be sweet. Trouble is, they would never be able to fit them all into one intermission.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:19 pm

Mr Hossa meet Mr Cooke.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: "Whatcha you be smokin' cuz? you guys aren't nothing but hoopty"

Postby Gage18 on Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:22 pm

SolidSnake wrote:Mr Hossa meet Mr Cooke.

...couldn't have said it better myself!
Gage18
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:52 pm

We do realize that Cooke will go after Hossa and it will be like a dirt bike running into the side of a Humvee right? Hossa isn't some finesse winger.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:57 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:We do realize that Cooke will go after Hossa and it will be like a dirt bike running into the side of a Humvee right? Hossa isn't some finesse winger.

Think that's gonna stop Cooke? and Hossa isn't the size of Chara out there.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: "Whatcha you be smokin' cuz? you guys aren't nothing but hoopty"

Postby Kicksave on Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:03 pm

Godard should sucker-punch Hossa. :evil:

(sarcasm, calm down ppl)
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby K2 on Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:07 pm

Bob McKenzie wrote:As a paying fan, it's my right to boo and I will do so.

Had he not strung the fans along into thinking he would have stayed, then I wouldn't boo him.

What he did reminds me of when you're dating someone and they leave you for someone else that's "hotter." Hossa (being the girl) strung along her boyfriend (the Pens and the fans) with enough to make you think she (Hossa) will fall in love with the boyfriend (the Pens and the fans). When a hotter looking guy came along (the Redwings), she (Hossa) ditched her boyfriend (the Pens and the fans) for a chance at something more she (Hossa) was attracted to.

I hope the Wing Dings get knocked out of the playoffs and we win the cup.

I'm not bitter toward Hossa just toward how he handled everything. Just come out and say you're going to test free agency and want to go to the best team available.

Excellent analogy
K2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pitts on Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:17 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:We do realize that Cooke will go after Hossa and it will be like a dirt bike running into the side of a Humvee right? Hossa isn't some finesse winger.

Will you quit being such a party-pooper. Sheesh!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bob McKenzie on Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:25 pm

KG wrote:Pens offered 7/50: Average salary of $7.14MM

Hossa was already making $7MM per year with Atlanta...Not much of a bump in salary.

Hossa signs 1 year deal with the cup favorite...

Hossa will sign a much bigger deal then 7/50 the pens offered this off season...

His strategy will work...

It's business, not personal...

His strategy will work...unless he gets Cam Neely'd.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins