will the Staal-Malkin-Sykora line stay together?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: will the Staal-Malkin-Sykora line stay together?

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:39 pm

Bob McKenzie wrote:This team can be Crosby's team all it wants to be. The bottom line is, if Malkin out performs him, Malkin should be the #1 center (if you have to make it that you have to have a #1 and #2 lines).

So, if Crosby went into a Jordan Staal like slump, then he should still be the #1 center? I don't believe that. Your coach goes with the people that give you the best shot to win, not because of bruised egos.

If anything, as competitive as Crosby is, maybe having a guy like Malkin on the team (who I believe is the most talented person in the NHL) pushes him.

Malkin is going to be a beast in a few years. Imagine him with an extra 20-25 pounds on him.

Malkin's line may get more minutes, but you're never gonna see a lineup card with Malkin's line above Crosby's. This has nothing to do with how I think it should be, this is how I know it will be. If it were up to me, Malkin would have been leading all of the team's forwards in minutes since Crosby got hurt last season.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bob McKenzie on Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:41 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
Bob McKenzie wrote:Can't we have two #1 lines?

No, why does there need to be two of them? First of all, how is 1b better than being 2? I don't see it. Secondly, if someone has such a fragile ego that they can't be on the second line, they wouldn't be capable of performing in the NHL. Any good team is gonna have their scoring lines playing equally anyway. Finally, as long as Crosby is here, he will be considered the guy, even if Malkin puts up 15 points more a year than he does. Its Crosby's team.

A statement of having two #1 lines gives the players and other teams their role.

Stevens-Lemieux-Tocchet was a #1 line for the Pens.

Having Francis and Jagr on the second line would have probably been the #1 line for any other team in the NHL. Should that constitute them as being the #2?

Why not act as if you have two #1 lines?
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby Noise on Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:49 pm

numbering the lines or defensive pairings means nothing. If Malkin's getting the same minutes as Crosby, who cares if he's on the 2nd line?
Last edited by Noise on Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:49 pm

Bob McKenzie wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
Bob McKenzie wrote:Can't we have two #1 lines?

No, why does there need to be two of them? First of all, how is 1b better than being 2? I don't see it. Secondly, if someone has such a fragile ego that they can't be on the second line, they wouldn't be capable of performing in the NHL. Any good team is gonna have their scoring lines playing equally anyway. Finally, as long as Crosby is here, he will be considered the guy, even if Malkin puts up 15 points more a year than he does. Its Crosby's team.

A statement of having two #1 lines gives the players and other teams their role.

Stevens-Lemieux-Tocchet was a #1 line for the Pens.

Having Francis and Jagr on the second line would have probably been the #1 line for any other team in the NHL. Should that constitute them as being the #2?

Why not act as if you have two #1 lines?

I don't understand why you argue with me about this? You already know, if you read my post, that I agree with you. Thats not how its going to play out though, one line is always going to be listed on top, and that will be the #1 line. Yes, Francis' line was #2 in the cup years for sure. Because Lemieux's was #1. What I don't understand is why being the line #2 is considered bad. The two scoring lines both play the same way. If line 1 was a scoring line and line 2 was expected to toss the puck in and grind it out, i'd understand the negative connotation, but that is not the case.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bob McKenzie on Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:49 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
I don't understand why you argue with me about this?

It's Sunday. The Pens aren't playing and I'm bored :)
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby André on Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:32 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
André wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I'm sorry, but it bothers me a lot when peole write Crosby in on the second line. He's gonna have to play worse than Malkin for at least a few yars before anyone ever considers his line the second line.

EDIT: What the hell just happened? The post I responded to was deleted apparently, I'll leave this here anyway.

Why would that bother you? Seriously?

If the one playing better gets more ice time or is officially listed on the first line. Minus 7 games after the injury/illness in the playoffs Malkin has been better than Sid since January something.

I don't know, its not like I make sone decision that its gonna bother me. Why do you care what I think?

Hey, wasn't picking a fight. I'm just curious as I really didn't understand why it would bother you. But you answered.

As I wrote in a thread last week I've recently said Malkin and Sid are now tied as my favourite player but everytime I watch a game I hope for Sid to score more than anyone else and I can't deny that. Still, that doesn't mean I'd be bothered if Malkin all of a sudden was listed as the first center.

Geesh, on this board the term Malkinites was created after far less arguing in favour of Malkin than there's arguing in favour of Sid (which I've tried to point out several times).
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Nizzy on Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:17 am

I'd love to see Malkin be the number 1 line for a whole game. If Malkin's hand is still bothering him then Sykora-Staal-Malkin line 1. Getting Crosby away from top line defenseman might benefit this team a lot. I mean the Pens could really switch it up here. The Pens could try a 2nd line of Talbot Center, Satan/Fedo/Dupuis. Then it would be really interesting to see Crosby-Ziggo-Kennedy line. I know that sounds crazy with Crosby on the 3rd line, just don't give him 3rd line minutes. There is too many possibilies. We should always have the other team guessing.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby superconan on Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:35 am

Nizzy wrote:I know that sounds crazy with Crosby on the 3rd line, just don't give him 3rd line minutes.

You may think of it as the third line, the opposing team's coaching staff wouldn't.
superconan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Guido on Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:51 am

purelebo84 wrote:The only reason they were together last night was that Malkin's hand was not ready for faceoffs.

Malkin's hands haven't been ready for faceoffs at any point this season. I keeeed, I keeeed.

But seriously, I agree, the lines will go back to normal once Geno's hand (I think it was his thumb) is healed enough for faceoffs. It was still good to see that he still has an effective slapshot.
Guido
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:55 am

superconan wrote:
Nizzy wrote:I know that sounds crazy with Crosby on the 3rd line, just don't give him 3rd line minutes.

You may think of it as the third line, the opposing team's coaching staff wouldn't.

Thats exactly my point.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby darkstar57 on Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:39 pm

Line 1, 2,3,4,5,6 etc... really don't mean anything, you have scoring lines and defensive/grinding lines, and last time i checked, Malkin and Crosby are on scoring lines and play pretty much the same minutes. The only time you can bring a line #1 and #2 into the debate is at the end of a game and if your down by 1 or 2 which lines is out there playing trying to tie the game. Last time i checked, when we are in those situations, Crosby and Malking are on the same line.

The BIG difference in between a Crosby Line and a Malkin line is which line/defensive pairing they are going to face, Teams usually send out their top defensive pairing out their against Crosby, but as Malksin as raised his game, it is not so clear cut anymore. Teams are going to start picking their poison against us, either they will try to shut down crosby's line or shutdown Malkin's line
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby darkstar57 on Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:40 pm

darkstar57 wrote:Line 1, 2,3,4,5,6 etc... really don't mean anything, you have scoring lines and defensive/grinding lines, and last time i checked, Malkin and Crosby are on scoring lines and play pretty much the same minutes. The only time you can bring a line #1 and #2 into the debate is at the end of a game and if your down by 1 or 2 which lines is out there playing trying to tie the game. Last time i checked, when we are in those situations, Crosby and Malking are on the same line.

The BIG difference between a Crosby Line and a Malkin line is which line/defensive pairing they are going to face, Teams usually send out their top defensive pairing out their against Crosby, but as Malksin has raised his game, it is not so clear cut anymore. Teams are going to start picking their poison against us, either they will try to shut down crosby's line or shutdown Malkin's line. That is what makes Detriot so good, they have two good defensive pairings that can shut you down, but they are the exception not the rule
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby WHITEY1 on Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:42 pm

Here is a ? if Stall is not resigned by the trade deadline is it a given he will be traded? Also, with all the worries about Crosby getting his #1 winger wont the next ? be where is the winger for Malkin if Stall goes elsewhere (being Stall plays well on the wing with Malkin)?
WHITEY1
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby darkstar57 on Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:46 pm

WHITEY1 wrote:Here is a ? if Stall is not resigned by the trade deadline is it a given he will be traded? Also, with all the worries about Crosby getting his #1 winger wont the next ? be where is the winger for Malkin if Stall goes elsewhere (being Stall plays well on the wing with Malkin)?

Stall is not going anywhere, we are not even a 1/4 of the way through the season. The guy signed to play Crosby's wing has 8 goals in 15 games and honestly i think Satan is starting to get comfortable on this team. Personally i think he has played well the past couple of game, since Talbot was promoted to Crosby's line, because Talbot is that grinding fighter with Crosby and allows Satan to do his thing.

Also, why would you trade Stall who is a proven shutdown defender who preforms in the playoffs and is still developing. I think Shero is going to do what he did with Fleury, he is going to do the abbtriation thing with Staal to give him time to work a contract out with him so no team can offer him an offer sheet.
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:48 pm

WHITEY1 wrote:Here is a ? if Stall is not resigned by the trade deadline is it a given he will be traded? Also, with all the worries about Crosby getting his #1 winger wont the next ? be where is the winger for Malkin if Stall goes elsewhere (being Stall plays well on the wing with Malkin)?

What about Sykora, he and Malkin work well together.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:16 pm

darkstar57 wrote:Also, why would you trade Stall who is a proven shutdown defender who preforms in the playoffs and is still developing.

Depends on how much he wants to get paid. I'm perfectly happy with him centering the 3rd line, but if he wants to get paid big bucks, he has to show us something on offense. Signing him to a large contract at this point, blindly, would be a huge mistake. Of all the Staal brothers, only Eric is a star player. Marc is pretty good, but even on a recent NYR broadcast, they referred to him as a "depth" defenseman. That's what Staal's drifting towards being... a depth forward. The Staal name is a gimmick.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensBeerGeek on Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:54 pm

I like the idea of keeping Jordan Staal on Malkin's line because it neutralizes his biggest weakness (faceoffs). Malkin is clearly the center on the line (Jordan doesn't have the playmaking skills quite yet), but Staal can take the key draws in the defensive zone (where actually he is more useful as the center) as well as in the offensive zone (work it back to Malkin and get in front of the net as a screen).

Staal - 51% on 164 faceoffs
Malkin - 43% on 43 faceoffs

Of course, the problem with Max being on the first line is that the team's center depth is being eaten up on the first two lines.
PensBeerGeek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:13 pm

Of course, the problem with Max being on the first line is that the team's center depth is being eaten up on the first two lines.

For that reason they'll eventually have to settle on one of them as a third line center. It's probably better for the organization if Staal can hang as a wing and start producing. Hopefully, those couple goals he's scored in the last few games give him the confidence he didn't have earlier. Talbot looks good with Crosby/Satan though. I still see Fedotenko fitting on one of the top two lines. For that matter, Kennedy might force them to give him the opportunity. I'm not interested in seeing Dupuis on the top two lines anymore. I like him a lot as a third liner, not so much as a top sixer given some of the other options here.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rohit on Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:54 pm

I actually thought dupuis looked pretty good on malkin's line compared to crosbys line
Rohit
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:55 pm

I actually thought dupuis looked pretty good on malkin's line compared to crosbys line
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mongoose87 on Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:10 pm

Me too.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins