Re-sign Zigomanis, please.

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Re-sign Zigomanis, please.

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:42 am

marek wrote:
Metalmike wrote:Ziggy's gonna come in handy tonight against the Wings, winning faceoffs will be a big priority against their centers. Less time of posession for the wings is crucial for a Pens win.

Metal Mike, Canada's #1 Penguins Fan.

i wonder what the outcome would have been if Zigomanis was wearing the black/golf last spring... the red wings killed us on the draw

You have to assume he'd have just been a 1 for one trade for hall who was 30 for 52 in the final for a 57.7 percentage in the faceoff circle. Assuming Ziggy kept his same pace up in the finals, 64.2% of 52 faceoffs would be 33 faceoffs. Its unlikely that those 3 extra wins would have made a difference. He also contributed 2 goals in the series, which is the only fair thing to really look at. 2 goals from a 4th liner is pretty huge in a 6 game series.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:43 am

Henry Hank wrote:Pens were actually 48.2% on faceoffs in the Finals... I'd say that's more of a slight advantage by Detroit rather than a massacre. Hall was at 57.7% so I don't know how much of a difference Zigomanis makes.

I hate you for beating me to that.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby NickDaves83 on Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:26 am

Re-signing the Mantis is not a high priority as at this stage of his career he is just glad to be in the NHL playing for a contender.

He fits are fourth line perfectly and RS will make a offer based on available money in the summer. We have to make tough choises every year regarding players because of the cap.
NickDaves83
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Gaucho on Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:23 am

CKA24 wrote:I hope we keep him... he's the best waiver pickup by the Pens in years... maybe the best one I remember!

Remember Robert Lang? :wink:
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby darkstar57 on Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:46 am

marek wrote:
Metalmike wrote:Ziggy's gonna come in handy tonight against the Wings, winning faceoffs will be a big priority against their centers. Less time of posession for the wings is crucial for a Pens win.

i wonder what the outcome would have been if Zigomanis was wearing the black/golf last spring... the red wings killed us on the draw

Not sure, but remember Hall had a couple of Big Goals in the cup finals, i personally loved the one of buttocks of Osgood
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby Doogs on Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:52 am

I kind of wish we would have had the opportunity to see a line that consisted of Ruutu - Zigomanis - Bissonette. That would be a fun shift to watch. I guess Cooke could be entered, but I am still bummed we lost Ruutu because of one year.

Sorry, tangent...SIGN HIM!!!!
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:54 am

darkstar57 wrote:
marek wrote:

Not sure, but remember Hall had a couple of Big Goals in the cup finals, i personally loved the one of buttocks of Osgood

ziggy has played better than hall EVER played when he was here. that doesn't mean that he's definitely a better player (too early to tell), but we've seen a better player than adam hall so far (who was utter crap until he was one of the few fresh players on our roster in the finals).
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:52 pm

Does anyone recall why Phoenix decided to dump him?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby newarenanow on Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:06 pm

This is a little premature. Don't forget, people wanted to sign Conklin to a multimillion dollar, multi year contract after a few games. Let the season play out a little bit and see how he plays over the long run.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby darkstar57 on Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:07 pm

columbia wrote:Does anyone recall why Phoenix decided to dump him?

I believe their management did not think highly of him and wanted to give younger guys a shot. I never saw him play until he was with the pens so i can't say much. Could be alot of things, maybe he didn't fit into the Great Ones (ho is not so Great at Coaching) system.

I just look at it this way, he is a solid 4th liner/role player to have, their lose is out gain
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins