Shanahan Revisited

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Shanahan Revisited

Postby Pitts on Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:06 am

This article mentions the Pens again: http://www.courierpostonline.com/articl ... 002/sports

I go back and forth about Shanny joining the team. One thing I was thinking tho on the way into work today is that I've come to the conclusion that the Pens need to get a little tougher for the playoffs. I also do believe they are missing Roberts' veteran presence this season too. Shanny, who would sign pretty cheap, would address both of those needs to a certain extent. Plus, I really want to hear all the Flyers' fans whining when they don't get him.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Shanahan Revisited

Postby blackjack68 on Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:11 am

What are you doing reading my local newspaper? lol
blackjack68
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pens15 on Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:17 am

It says that Pittsburgh "is believed" to be interested, so really they don't know if we've actually made an offer. I still say I would be surprised if we bring him, and I don't particularly want us to. But I'm sure if we do I could talk myself into it.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mac5155 on Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:22 am

as far as i see it, if he can be had for small money, then so be it. he cant be worse than AHL callups
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby beerman on Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:25 am

I don't think it happens but if he comes cheap I'd be happy with it and I don't see how it would hurt the team
beerman
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Henry Hank on Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:31 am

mac5155 wrote:as far as i see it, if he can be had for small money, then so be it. he cant be worse than AHL callups

Can't he? He's declined for two straight years and was a non-factor in the playoffs. If they want a tough old man who can make a difference in the playoffs, I'd rather they just get Roberts back when Tampa inevitably falls apart. Even fighting all the injuries last year, Roberts made an impact in the post season. Just because Shanahan is old and gritty doesn't mean he'd bring what Roberts did.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitts on Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:55 am

Thanks for the thoughts Hank. Admittedly, I haven't watch Shanny too closely the past few years. but, he was always one of my favorites dating back to his St. Louis days. However, I fail to see what Roberts (another fave since his Calgary days) would bring this season. To me, he's just as broken as Shanny may be.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:56 am

blackjack68 wrote:What are you doing reading my local newspaper? lol

I actually got it from my morning coffee stop at Spectors! :wink:
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:00 pm

Pitts wrote:Thanks for the thoughts Hank. Admittedly, I haven't watch Shanny too closely the past few years. but, he was always one of my favorites dating back to his St. Louis days. However, I fail to see what Roberts (another fave since his Calgary days) would bring this season. To me, he's just as broken as Shanny may be.

Like I said, playoffs. Roberts still has a gear few players can reach in the playoffs. I didn't want the Pens to bring him back, but he'd be a perfect playoff rental because another team pays him his regular season salary and conditions him and the Pens get him when his season really starts. I would not be surprised if he comes back. I don't see Tampa making the playoffs, and I'm assuming he'd welcome another playoff run with the Pens and the Pens would love to have him back for it.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby littlemoonboot on Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:02 pm

Well if they're going to do anything, HURRY UP then. He gets freaking older every minute.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitts on Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:03 pm

Henry Hank wrote:
Pitts wrote:Thanks for the thoughts Hank. Admittedly, I haven't watch Shanny too closely the past few years. but, he was always one of my favorites dating back to his St. Louis days. However, I fail to see what Roberts (another fave since his Calgary days) would bring this season. To me, he's just as broken as Shanny may be.

Like I said, playoffs. Roberts still has a gear few players can reach in the playoffs. I didn't want the Pens to bring him back, but he'd be a perfect playoff rental because another team pays him his regular season salary and conditions him and the Pens get him when his season really starts. I would not be surprised if he comes back. I don't see Tampa making the playoffs, and I'm assuming he'd welcome another playoff run with the Pens and the Pens would love to have him back for it.

Reading farther in Spectors, rumors have Tampa already shopping Roberts around the league! What the hell is up with that team?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:06 pm

roberts is a better skater (he can skate with a 3rd line while shanny is slow as molasses) and people are actually intimidated by him. shanny is a tough dude, but isn't nearly the force that roberts is. neither would be that productive offensively, but roberts is more influential in other ways.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby cs6687 on Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:09 pm

Pitts wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:

Reading farther in Spectors, rumors have Tampa already shopping Roberts around the league! What the hell is up with that team?

The return of Roberts would force the Pens to move, seeing how his return to Mellon Arena would blow the roof off the Igloo.

Roberts for Eaton or Sydor.
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:13 pm

cs6687 wrote:The return of Roberts would force the Pens to move, seeing how his return to Mellon Arena would blow the roof off the Igloo.

Roberts for Eaton or Sydor.

you can't give up eaton for roberts.

...for so many reasons.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:15 pm

I would take roberts for eaton when gonch and whit get healthy faster than you can kiss a duck. also, scary gary netted two last night so i guess he still has some scoring touch.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby westside on Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:26 pm

After getting benched by MT for the first game of the Finals last year, there is NO way IMO Roberts will ever be a Pen again.
westside
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wallflower on Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:27 pm

Pitts wrote:Reading farther in Spectors, rumors have Tampa already shopping Roberts around the league! What the hell is up with that team?

He scored both of their goals last night, so now they have to get rid of him. :lol:
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitts on Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:31 pm

westside wrote:After getting benched by MT for the first game of the Finals last year, there is NO way IMO Roberts will ever be a Pen again.

ORLY!?!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:38 pm

wallflower wrote:
Pitts wrote:Reading farther in Spectors, rumors have Tampa already shopping Roberts around the league! What the hell is up with that team?

He scored both of their goals last night, so now they have to get rid of him. :lol:

Touche.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:42 pm

Based on what I was told from what I consider a very reliable source, the coaching staff and management hated Gary Roberts more than you could ever imagine. He won't be back. Shero couldn't wait to tell him to hit the road.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby darkstar57 on Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:46 pm

i am would actually not mind shanny. He has a good regular season last year for the rags, but burnt out int he playoffs. Part of the reason Roberts was so effective in the playoffs for us was he missed a ton of the regular season so he was fresh for the playoffs.

If we sign shanny i would basically tell him look, you are going ot play some games and you are goign to be scratched some game. You will play with the 2nd pp unit and possibly the 1st unit (depending on what happens). When you are in a game your going to get 4th line minutes possibly 3rd line minutes.

I think if used right he could be really effective for us. And i agree with the vetern leadership he brings. We don't have many guys on this team that have WON a cup, i think just sydor and sykora.
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:50 pm

darkstar57 wrote:We don't have many guys on this team that have WON a cup, i think just sydor and sykora.

Fedotenko as well.

I think if Shanny goes to the flyers he could be very solid for them. Perhaps RS can sign the deals to prevent the Flyers from getting him and put him in a minor role here as well.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:10 pm

Dickie Dunn wrote:Based on what I was told from what I consider a very reliable source, the coaching staff and management hated Gary Roberts more than you could ever imagine. He won't be back. Shero couldn't wait to tell him to hit the road.

:pop:
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby maudineormsby on Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:15 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
Dickie Dunn wrote:Based on what I was told from what I consider a very reliable source, the coaching staff and management hated Gary Roberts more than you could ever imagine. He won't be back. Shero couldn't wait to tell him to hit the road.

:pop:

maudineormsby
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby CKA24 on Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:29 pm

I wonder if that's true that RS and the staff hated him...

^ GIF of the week
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins