Malkin's Shot

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Malkin's Shot

Postby darkstar57 on Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:45 am

He has always had a great wrist shot and a cannon of a slap shot, but jesus he seems to have even more on it this year, his slap shot goal versus the oilers and his wrist shot last night and watching them i was like damn. You can barely see the thing on replay and the scary thing is he still can add on muscle onto his frame for even more power behind it. HE might have fulton from the might ducks power soon
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Re: Malkin's Shot

Postby CKA24 on Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:07 am

It was gross... I was set into fits of laughter after watching it
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:18 am

he's got that trademarked giant wind-up going on this year. it's just scary.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby czwalga on Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:20 am

shmenguin wrote:he's got that trademarked giant wind-up going on this year. it's just scary.

Not to pick on sidney, but did you see how many times he missed the pass to malkin when he had that huge wind up on the 5 on 3. It was painful to watch.
czwalga
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Why So Serious? on Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:25 am

czwalga wrote:
shmenguin wrote:he's got that trademarked giant wind-up going on this year. it's just scary.

Not to pick on sidney, but did you see how many times he missed the pass to malkin when he had that huge wind up on the 5 on 3. It was painful to watch.

I pointed out the same exact thing. I was just screaming at him to lay it perfectly on to Malkin's stick for a one-timer. It was really frustrating. Luckily, 71 eventually did score.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:04 pm

czwalga wrote:Not to pick on sidney, but did you see how many times he missed the pass to malkin when he had that huge wind up on the 5 on 3. It was painful to watch.

Yes. My son and I both. Sid was trying to set him up for that shot and kept throwing it into his feet. Must have done it 3-4 times on that one PP.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:24 pm

In the OT I have no idea how he didn't score. He shot that puck so hard on an open net it was almost as if he didn't think the goal would count unless he put it through the twine in the back of the net.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:34 pm

Does anyone else think "Racchi's Rug" when they see a topic with a two word title (the first being a player's name)?

:lol:
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby jaysmiter on Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:00 pm

There was one shot he took last night during the 3rd, that I thought for sure was going to break the glass. He brought is wind-up nearly 200-220 degrees. It was dirty.

Also, did anyone else see the sweet little move he had in the first? He was on one knee, dragged the puck from almost behind him with his free skate to his stick and made the pass? No one made any mention of it but it was a nasty play.
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Just another example of a warped twisted sick mind that is out there hiding behind a keyboard.

Postby meecrofilm on Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:04 pm

Pitts wrote:
czwalga wrote:Not to pick on sidney, but did you see how many times he missed the pass to malkin when he had that huge wind up on the 5 on 3. It was painful to watch.

Yes. My son and I both. Sid was trying to set him up for that shot and kept throwing it into his feet. Must have done it 3-4 times on that one PP.

Thankfully, this is Crosby we're talking about, so those two will probably practice that 300 times the next practice until they perfect it.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PittPensFan on Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:28 pm

Just ask Marty Biron about Geno's shot. He's seen it from close range.
PittPensFan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rohit on Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:33 pm

meecrofilm wrote:
Pitts wrote:

Thankfully, this is Crosby we're talking about, so those two will probably practice that 300 times the next practice until they perfect it.

and then crosby will buy a malkin fathead for his home and feed it 300 more pucks. highest work ethic in the league
Rohit
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby CKA24 on Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:42 pm

Does anyone agree that Malkin 08-09 looks like Crosby 06-07 in terms of how he controls the play? I just haven't seen the dominating Sid since the injury... Minor comeback in the playoffs, but not as much.
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:45 pm

CKA24 wrote:Does anyone agree that Malkin 08-09 looks like Crosby 06-07 in terms of how he controls the play? I just haven't seen the dominating Sid since the injury... Minor comeback in the playoffs, but not as much.

I saw it in the playoffs, especially in the Philly series. But I agree, Malkin is definitely controlling significant portions of games.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bob McKenzie on Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:57 pm

I've been joking with my friends that Malkin is starting to remind me of the kid from The Mighty Ducks movie that when every time he starts to wind up, people better get out of the way.

That shot is scary from the point. The only thing I don't like is that it seems like the Pens PP is looking to set up Malkin for a shot at the blue line on every passing play and all of the passes are just to set him up. It is going to be predictable after a while (and the Islanders already caught onto it).
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:00 pm

Bob McKenzie wrote:I've been joking with my friends that Malkin is starting to remind me of the kid from The Mighty Ducks movie that when every time he starts to wind up, people better get out of the way.

That shot is scary from the point. The only thing I don't like is that it seems like the Pens PP is looking to set up Malkin for a shot at the blue line on every passing play and all of the passes are just to set him up. It is going to be predictable after a while (and the Islanders already caught onto it).

If he gets the shot off though, its not gonna much matter whether they know or not. If they start pressuring him too close, they run a risk too.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby holeinone on Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:45 pm

I said this before but Malkin is the total package. I believe he will be better than Sid or Ov if he already isn't. This guy is the real deal. He handles the puck like Mario and shoots like Al Iafrate. Scary combination! I think he is finally realizing his potential and at this point it is unlimited. He is a keeper and look out NHL, there is a new sheriff in town and his name is Malkin
holeinone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sanscrit on Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:49 pm

Bob McKenzie wrote:The only thing I don't like is that it seems like the Pens PP is looking to set up Malkin for a shot at the blue line on every passing play and all of the passes are just to set him up. It is going to be predictable after a while (and the Islanders already caught onto it).

I watched the blues for all of the MacInnis years. Trust me. If the shot is good enough it never gets old. That was a PP staple for years and it never lost its effectiveness.
sanscrit
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby mumbobob on Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:37 pm

Imagine the power play in the spring if teams have to watch out for both Malkin and Gonchar's cannons ...
mumbobob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:42 pm

sanscrit wrote:
Bob McKenzie wrote:The only thing I don't like is that it seems like the Pens PP is looking to set up Malkin for a shot at the blue line on every passing play and all of the passes are just to set him up. It is going to be predictable after a while (and the Islanders already caught onto it).

I watched the blues for all of the MacInnis years. Trust me. If the shot is good enough it never gets old. That was a PP staple for years and it never lost its effectiveness.

Yeah, he definitely has the kind of shot where even if everyone knows it's coming, he can still beat you with it. Gonchar is smart with the puck, moves it well from the point, is good at directing it to the net for a deflection, but he doesn't have close to the cannon that Malkin has.

By the end of the season...
Satan-Staal-Crosby
Malkin-Gonchar

Really could be deadly now that Malkin will have a whole season at the point under his belt.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Steve on Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:43 pm

holeinone wrote:I said this before but Malkin is the total package. I believe he will be better than Sid or Ov if he already isn't. This guy is the real deal. He handles the puck like Mario and shoots like Al Iafrate. Scary combination! I think he is finally realizing his potential and at this point it is unlimited. He is a keeper and look out NHL, there is a new sheriff in town and his name is Malkin

Agreed - and his defense, which was already good at such a young age - is getting even better....
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby WWGRD on Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:13 pm

PittPensFan wrote:Just ask Marty Biron about Geno's shot. He's seen it from close range.

I doubt he saw it. He saw Malkin winding up, and then heard the goal horn.
WWGRD
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby André on Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:31 pm

CKA24 wrote:Does anyone agree that Malkin 08-09 looks like Crosby 06-07 in terms of how he controls the play? I just haven't seen the dominating Sid since the injury... Minor comeback in the playoffs, but not as much.

That's exactly how I see it. The best of Sid so far is still from the 06/07 season. He's elite since then and one of the candidates to be called the best player but that year he was that hands down. He dominated game after game.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Daniel87 on Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:40 pm

I'd like to see Malkin blast one in the skills competition.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby LeopardLetang on Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:51 pm

jaysmiter wrote:Also, did anyone else see the sweet little move he had in the first? He was on one knee, dragged the puck from almost behind him with his free skate to his stick and made the pass? No one made any mention of it but it was a nasty play.

no doubt. that's the frustration of not having the home town announcers. national announcers in all sports are too busy trying to create/tell a story about the two teams or tossing it to a guy on the ice to say something controversial. i guess i wouldn't care so much if i watched the games with someone else. something isn't awesome unless someone else looks at me to confirm it. :D
LeopardLetang
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins