Staal

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Staal

Postby Gilmore_Tuttle on Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:15 pm

newarenanow wrote:
Billkamm wrote:All you fools who said trade Staal.... what do you say now? What a great game. It better be on the next greatest games in Penguins history DVD.

I've never really said to trade Staal, but for those who now want to sign him to a long term contract because of one outstanding game, it's just as bad as the people who want to trade him because of a few bad games.

Hopefully he can keep this up. If he wants a HUGE contract, it won't work with the Pens. But if he improves, that is when you want to trade him. He will get the most value back. Not when he is playing like crap.

Funny how nobody said they wanted Staal traded but last 2 weeks boards were filled with people saying trade him....I guess all them people are on vacation this week...
To be honest I agree with the other guy, its one game we'll see, either way I wouldnt trade him just yet anyway.
Gilmore_Tuttle
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby AlexPKeaton on Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:35 pm

Their is not enough Staal love on the forums today! More more!

AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Daniel87 on Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:52 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:I would like to thank Malkin for getting Staal off of his shnide (sp??) and thus enabling his beastly explosion last night. :lol:

In that case I'd like to thank the Islander who shot a nice little slapper into Geno's hand. Without that happening, Staal would never have played with Malkin.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mjg on Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:06 pm

longtimefan wrote:
mjg wrote:
Caputi19 wrote:For sure, he was a beast in the faceoff circle. I dont think he lost more than 5 faceoffs tonite

4 and 7 for 36%

Not according to TSN.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/scores/boxscore/?id=2008111105

9 FOW 5 FOL 64.3%

It was also mentioned elsewhere that he was 4 for 4 against the Wings top guy, Draper.

Interesting. ESPN.com still shows 36%. I wasn't paying attention to faceoffs during the game, but I hope tsn is right and ESPN is wrong.
mjg
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mjg on Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:09 pm

longtimefan wrote:
mjg wrote:
Caputi19 wrote:For sure, he was a beast in the faceoff circle. I dont think he lost more than 5 faceoffs tonite

4 and 7 for 36%

Not according to TSN.

9 FOW 5 FOL 64.3%

It was also mentioned elsewhere that he was 4 for 4 against the Wings top guy, Draper.

Are you talking about Staal or Ziggy? I thought we were talking about Staal.
mjg
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:56 pm

[/quote]

4 and 7 for 36%[/quote]

Not according to TSN.

9 FOW 5 FOL 64.3%

It was also mentioned elsewhere that he was 4 for 4 against the Wings top guy, Draper.[/quote]

Are you talking about Staal or Ziggy? I thought we were talking about Staal.[/quote]

Ziggy. I konw it's very confusing, but if you look at the two posts immediately above your reply, you'll see that they were talking about Zigomanis. It is confusing though, especially when the thread is all about Staal.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:00 pm

longtimefan wrote:Ziggy. I konw it's very confusing, but if you look at the two posts immediately above your reply, you'll see that they were talking about Zigomanis. It is confusing though, especially when the thread is all about Staal.

Chaos ensues.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mjg on Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:33 pm

longtimefan wrote:

4 and 7 for 36%

Not according to TSN.

9 FOW 5 FOL 64.3%

Are you talking about Staal or Ziggy? I thought we were talking about Staal.

Ziggy. I konw it's very confusing, but if you look at the two posts immediately above your reply, you'll see that they were talking about Zigomanis. It is confusing though, especially when the thread is all about Staal.

Well at least we have that under control.
mjg
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby skullman80 on Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:52 pm

Staal is not a top 5 defensive center in the league. His defense is good, but I think it's a bit overrated by some on here.

That being said.. he had a fantastic game last night. One of the best single game performances I've seen from anyone in Pens sweater in a long time.

He needs to be more consistent though. One great game does not a season make, he needs to find his stride and play that well in stretches(not getting 4 pts a night obv) instead of once or twice every 10 games or so.

I'm far from giving up on the kid, but he needs to keep up what he brought to the table last night.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MWW on Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:15 am

AlexPKeaton wrote:I would like to thank Malkin for getting Staal off of his shnide (sp??) and thus enabling his beastly explosion last night. :lol:

in a way we can credit MT with the assist on that one.

he did one of his extra sesions with young Jordan:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_598190.html

Michel Therrien sat down with his third-year center before the Penguins played the Islanders at New York last Saturday.

"I think he opened up the season trying to put too much pressure on himself," Therrien said Wednesday. "So we had a discussion to make sure that he plays the way he's supposed to play."
MWW
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bh on Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:13 am

Staal needs to plant himself in front of that net every game. With his big body, and that long stick, he will score many goals from right in front.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Caputi19 on Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:40 pm

skullman80 wrote:Staal is not a top 5 defensive center in the league. His defense is good, but I think it's a bit overrated by some on here.

That being said.. he had a fantastic game last night. One of the best single game performances I've seen from anyone in Pens sweater in a long time.

He needs to be more consistent though. One great game does not a season make, he needs to find his stride and play that well in stretches(not getting 4 pts a night obv) instead of once or twice every 10 games or so.

I'm far from giving up on the kid, but he needs to keep up what he brought to the table last night.

i totally understand where u are coming from but from a stand point of good 2 way centerman, its hard not o put Staal in there. Hes not a huge offensive threat yet but here is my top 5.

My top 5 defensive centers would be:

1.Pavel Datsyuk
2.John Madden
3.Rod Brind'Amour
4.Jordan Staal
5.Samuel Pahlsson

David Legwand close to Pahlsson
Caputi19
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:46 pm

The thread title needs to be changed to "Stall"

see "Detroit on Tuesday" thread
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:50 pm

I still think Madden is the best defensive center. Datsyuk sadly gets looked at as better because he is a better offensive player.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mongoose87 on Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:53 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I still think Madden is the best defensive center. Datsyuk sadly gets looked at as better because he is a better offensive player.

This post has my stamp of approval.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby czwalga on Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:54 pm

Gilmore_Tuttle wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
Billkamm wrote:All you fools who said trade Staal.... what do you say now? What a great game. It better be on the next greatest games in Penguins history DVD.

I've never really said to trade Staal, but for those who now want to sign him to a long term contract because of one outstanding game, it's just as bad as the people who want to trade him because of a few bad games.

Hopefully he can keep this up. If he wants a HUGE contract, it won't work with the Pens. But if he improves, that is when you want to trade him. He will get the most value back. Not when he is playing like crap.

Funny how nobody said they wanted Staal traded but last 2 weeks boards were filled with people saying trade him....I guess all them people are on vacation this week...
To be honest I agree with the other guy, its one game we'll see, either way I wouldnt trade him just yet anyway.

Actually I posted that this game doesnt make a difference on how i feel.
czwalga
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins