Great advice often goes ignored

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Great advice often goes ignored

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:41 pm

Kicksave wrote:
wallflower wrote:He got a bunch of people to click on his blog link and be annoyed by him. I suspect he got exactly what he was looking for all along.


This.


Thats why I never follow links given by those people.

1. Don't want to give them traffic
2. Nothing interesting
3. Profit!
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 50,968
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Great advice often goes ignored

Postby Pitts on Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:47 pm

canaan wrote:so a guy by the name of "the hockey god" has a self-righteous blog entry about how he is a better fan than other people. picture me surprised.

Yes. That "combonation" has me feeling very small.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,352
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Great advice often goes ignored

Postby The Snapshot on Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:51 pm

Pitts wrote: "combonation"


Ah, that magical land where one never wants for tasty pizza or cheese flavored snack food to go with their beer.........
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,275
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:28 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there

Re: Great advice often goes ignored

Postby the HockeyGod on Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:24 pm

steelcity8687 wrote:Nice post man. Now just learn how to utilize spell check.


Thanks, more or less. I realize that there were some spelling errors in there, but this isn't Microsoft word. I don't get prompted everytime I foul up as I'm typing so they tend to fly under the radar. It happens. I'd be willing to bet Mark Twain had some misspellings in his work that had to be edited out too, so I'm not going to fret over it. That's the real problem ...no editing. But it's immaterial. Whenever people have to resort to language police tatctics in replying to your post (your in a general sense meaning anyone, not you specifically) you can bet that's only because they can't really make a legitimate counter argument to what you've said.
the HockeyGod
 

Re: Great advice often goes ignored

Postby Kicksave on Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:26 pm

the HockeyGod wrote:
steelcity8687 wrote:Nice post man. Now just learn how to utilize spell check.


Thanks, more or less. I realize that there were some spelling errors in there, but this isn't Microsoft word. I don't get prompted everytime I foul up as I'm typing so they tend to fly under the radar. It happens. I'd be willing to bet Mark Twain had some misspellings in his work that had to be editied out too, so I'm not going to fret over it. That's the real problem ...no editing. But it's immaterial. Whenever people have to resort to language police tatctics in replying to your post (your in a general sense meaning anyone, not you specicically) you can bet that's only because they can't really make a legitimate counter argument to what you've said.


Did you really just compare yourself to Mark Twain?

You're a nameless internet blogger and he is a timeless, great American novelist.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,572
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:53 am
Location: Feeling like I want to rage...right now.

Re: Great advice often goes ignored

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:30 pm

the HockeyGod wrote:
steelcity8687 wrote:Nice post man. Now just learn how to utilize spell check.


Thanks, more or less. I realize that there were some spelling errors in there, but this isn't Microsoft word. I don't get prompted everytime I foul up as I'm typing so they tend to fly under the radar. It happens. I'd be willing to bet Mark Twain had some misspellings in his work that had to be edited out too, so I'm not going to fret over it. That's the real problem ...no editing. But it's immaterial. Whenever people have to resort to language police tatctics in replying to your post (your in a general sense meaning anyone, not you specifically) you can bet that's only because they can't really make a legitimate counter argument to what you've said.


THe problem people have with you was that you are some nobody blog writing no-it-all who declares their superior fanhood to a group of people that you don't know and have been together supporting the team for years.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 50,968
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Great advice often goes ignored

Postby the HockeyGod on Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:32 pm

Kicksave wrote:
the HockeyGod wrote:
steelcity8687 wrote:Nice post man. Now just learn how to utilize spell check.


Thanks, more or less. I realize that there were some spelling errors in there, but this isn't Microsoft word. I don't get prompted everytime I foul up as I'm typing so they tend to fly under the radar. It happens. I'd be willing to bet Mark Twain had some misspellings in his work that had to be editied out too, so I'm not going to fret over it. That's the real problem ...no editing. But it's immaterial. Whenever people have to resort to language police tatctics in replying to your post (your in a general sense meaning anyone, not you specicically) you can bet that's only because they can't really make a legitimate counter argument to what you've said.


Did you really just compare yourself to Mark Twain?

You're a nameless internet blogger and he is a timeless, great American novelist.


No. I didn't say, " I'm as good as Mark Twain". I said even Mark Twain, meaning if he had some misspellings as he wrote then anyone else who does shouldn't feel too bad about it. Nice strawman argument though.
the HockeyGod
 

Re: Great advice often goes ignored

Postby Das boot on Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:46 pm

I dont think staal sucks, other then last nights game :) staal has been mediocre at best and hasn't looked like a #2 overall pick consistently since his rookie year. However if you want a scoring winger for crosby and dont think caputi could be that guy or dont want to wait to see then staal would be our best option to get a top tier winger for sid. To me its tough since staal will always be the #3 center and i dont think he could be a top six winger from what i have seen. You have to give up to get something and thats what i think most peoples arguement is when staal trade talks arise.
Das boot
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:24 pm

Re: Great advice often goes ignored

Postby the HockeyGod on Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:57 pm

Das boot wrote:I dont think staal sucks, other then last nights game :) staal has been mediocre at best and hasn't looked like a #2 overall pick consistently since his rookie year. However if you want a scoring winger for crosby and dont think caputi could be that guy or dont want to wait to see then staal would be our best option to get a top tier winger for sid. To me its tough since staal will always be the #3 center and i dont think he could be a top six winger from what i have seen. You have to give up to get something and thats what i think most peoples arguement is when staal trade talks arise.


I'm not questioning the prospect of trading Staal for a top winger for Sid. Even in my reviled blog entry I suggested Staal may be trade-bait for Crosby's long sought partner on the wing. I agree that Staal is much better as a center and there just is no chance of him usurping either Malkin or Sid, so a move may be inevitable. I just contest this general malaise regarding Staal. Sure he was struggling until a few games ago, but the way so many people were talking you'd think he'd ventured into Alexandre Daigle-like bust territory. Just no patience.
the HockeyGod
 

Re: Great advice often goes ignored

Postby netwolf on Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:13 pm

Seems to me the two main points were:

1. Be patient with Jordan Staal.
2. Negativity sucks.

Given how often those same two complaints are cited around here, I'd have thought it would have been better received (the hint of superiority in your opening post aside). I'm not the biggest Jordan Staal fan, but I thought it was pretty spot on.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,346
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:04 am

Re: Great advice often goes ignored

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:31 pm

What I've learned from reading this board is that most people's attitude is "My opinion is the best opinion and all other opinions suck."

But that's the case in most aspects of life.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,655
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:31 pm
Location: Behind Enemy Lines

Re: Great advice often goes ignored

Postby the HockeyGod on Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:43 pm

netwolf wrote:Seems to me the two main points were:

1. Be patient with Jordan Staal.
2. Negativity sucks.

Given how often those same two complaints are cited around here, I'd have thought it would have been better received (the hint of superiority in your opening post aside). I'm not the biggest Jordan Staal fan, but I thought it was pretty spot on.


Well I'm glad some people get it. As for the whole 'hint of superiority' thing, it can serve as a kind of psychological booby trap. I'm not saying it's all schtick, because the older I get the less favorable my opinion becomes of the general populace. But ...I'm suddenly reminded of the whole Sienna Miller thing.

If you stand up and say, " Pittsburgh sucks, and everyone who lives there is stupid" (or whatever she said ...it's really not important), I'm not going to be offended, because I don't think Pittsburgh sucks, and I know I'm not stupid. The only people who will be upset are stupid people. It's like if I were to call an entire group of people violent morons (the group you pick doesn't matter, Flyer fans mybe?)and their response was to try and hunt me down with knives, they really aren't helping to disprove my point. The same general logic applies here. If what I said was completely off the mark no one would really get upset, and their remarks would be much more congenial, regardless of what I'd said ...and I'd have to reexamine my original hypothesis. I don't have to now.
the HockeyGod
 

Re: Great advice often goes ignored

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:48 pm

iEUX wrote:I wish I didnt suck so bad


There's still time to turn it around. Don't ever give up!
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,655
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:31 pm
Location: Behind Enemy Lines

Re: Great advice often goes ignored

Postby the HockeyGod on Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:51 pm

iEUX wrote:I wish I didnt suck so bad


repeat after me,

Mekka-lekka hi mekka hiney ho!
the HockeyGod
 

Re: Great advice often goes ignored

Postby André on Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:54 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
beerman wrote:I'm sure you'd find fans that are just as negative if not more so in other cities.

And how does one game mean Staal is back? I'm not saying he is or isn't but seems like you're jumping the gun a bit here. And for the record I'm not one of the trade Staal people just don't think you can say he's back yet.

Regardless I hope you don't hurt yourself trying to pat yourself on the back.


So basically what you're saying is you didn't overreact when he had a few bad games and you aren't going to overreact now. Thats absurd, sir. I'd like to ask you to leave.


At first I missread your post, Idoit40fans. I now like it :)

About the OP though: Looking past the annoying cockiness (spelling) he seems a solid poster. Keep interacting here, keep writing (stimulating, huh?) but just don't take blogging too seriously =)
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,286
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:51 am
Location: Gävle, Sweden

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

e-mail