eat it, Pierre Maguire

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: eat it, Pierre Maguire

Postby CKA24 on Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:47 pm

Milbury and Pierre are both jokes.

Yes Pierre has shown favoritism to the Pens before, but to be unbiased does not equal favoring one team one night, another the next night, and so on. They don't cancel. On one night, you should favor all teams equally.
CKA24
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby D-Block Pens Fan on Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:32 pm

Psychlone wrote:Not only that but the studio guys (especially Eddie O) on Versus looked like they just came from a funeral when they showed them after the game. Classic.

It was a non-stop Detroit love fest all night. They only put it on pause when the Pens were within 1 goal, only to start up again. The post game was focused so much on the Ottawa and Philly games as though they still didn't want to admit the Pens won.

The most overt was the gushing over Osgood when he and Fluery had both given up 6 each and going on and on over Detroits face offs while ignoring Ziggy.
D-Block Pens Fan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby shmenguin on Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:10 pm

maguire being a tool is a pretty new thing. a couple years ago he was unequivocally the best color man in hockey. somewhere along the line he got goofy and started with the contrived, bold stuff. i think NBC must have intentionally turned him into the same brand of talking head/blogger type that has ruined sports analysis in america (they have to keep up with ESPN after all, the originators of crappy analysis).
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby darkstar57 on Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:35 pm

bruthrluv wrote:
superconan wrote:McGuire has shown favoritism towards Penguins a number of times.

He has, I remember him wetting his shorts last year when Sykora called the OT winner in the finals.

What if i did wet my shorts when Sykora did score the winner?
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby netwolf on Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:34 pm

shmenguin wrote:maguire being a tool is a pretty new thing. a couple years ago he was unequivocally the best color man in hockey. somewhere along the line he got goofy and started with the contrived, bold stuff. i think NBC must have intentionally turned him into the same brand of talking head/blogger type that has ruined sports analysis in america (they have to keep up with ESPN after all, the originators of crappy analysis).

I don't see a ton of Canadian broadcasts, but the biggest differences between American hockey coverage and Canadian hockey coverage I've noticed is that the Canadians seem to set up their broadcasts so the viewer gets the best exposure to the game going on that they can provide. They let the game speak for itself.

American broadcasts try to get people's attention with on-screen graphics and manufactured controversy between studio hosts. Between that and the mass amount of cross-promotion you get (even while the play is going on! :? ), it's just nice they manage to squeeze the live action into the broadcast. The best thing that could ever happen to the American hockey viewer is for NBC or Versus to just say, "we're not really sure what we're doing with this sport, let's either bring in someone from TSN or CBC to run the show, or just let them do all the production and we'll piggyback their feed."

And get John Buccigross to anchor all studio segments and a nightly wrap-up show. :D
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby passmaster16 on Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:05 pm

shmenguin wrote:maguire being a tool is a pretty new thing. a couple years ago he was unequivocally the best color man in hockey. somewhere along the line he got goofy and started with the contrived, bold stuff. i think NBC must have intentionally turned him into the same brand of talking head/blogger type that has ruined sports analysis in america (they have to keep up with ESPN after all, the originators of crappy analysis).

boo yeah!
passmaster16
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby charlesroast on Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:27 pm

You mean to tell me that when it went 5-2 that we all sat there saying "its not over!"? I will admit that it reminded me of last years finals at times. We were getting beat to the puck, turning the puck over, trying to find the perfect play, etc...while Detroit was full throttle end to end. Men against boys? At that time, sure. We were taking stupid penalties and not giving MAF a clear view. We were outplayed until that boy JS turned into a man late in the game.
charlesroast
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:30 pm

charlesroast wrote:You mean to tell me that when it went 5-2 that we all sat there saying "its not over!"? I will admit that it reminded me of last years finals at times. We were getting beat to the puck, turning the puck over, trying to find the perfect play, etc...while Detroit was full throttle end to end. Men against boys? At that time, sure. We were taking stupid penalties and not giving MAF a clear view. We were outplayed until that boy JS turned into a man late in the game.

It wasn't looking good, but I never think its over, otherwise I'd stop watching. But in that game, the way things were going, anything could happen at any time.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby dagny on Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:24 am

netwolf wrote:. . . . Canadians seem to set up their broadcasts so the viewer gets the best exposure to the game going on that they can provide. They let the game speak for itself.

American broadcasts try to get people's attention with on-screen graphics and manufactured controversy between studio hosts. Between that and the mass amount of cross-promotion you get (even while the play is going on! :? ), it's just nice they manage to squeeze the live action into the broadcast.

I could not have said it better.
dagny
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins