Does Malone miss the Pens

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Does Malone miss the Pens

Postby holeinone on Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:11 pm

He has been a no show almost the whole season totals 3 goals 0 assists Fat wallet I think he was a healthy scratch tonite Lightning lose again 4 nothing Ouch 31 million dollars
holeinone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Does Malone miss the Pens

Postby Henry Hank on Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:13 pm

He's hurt.

Professionally I'm sure he misses being on a legitimate Cup contender. I doubt he's even thinking twice considering his family is set with all that money.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby netwolf on Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:15 pm

I think he misses them and I think the Pens miss him a bit too.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby npv708 on Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:17 pm

I think the important question is whether or not racchi's rug misses the Penguins...
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby letsgopens87 on Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:22 pm

I know I miss him. I know there's really no way we could have kept him, giving what other teams were offering him, but I still miss him a bit. The Steel City Line was a thing of beauty last year.
letsgopens87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Draftnik on Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:28 pm

Who cares what he thinks? He had a chance to earn a long term contract by sacking up before his contract year. If he played as hard in 05/06 & 06/07 as he did in 07/08, he would still be with the Pens. Shero and Therrien probably took a longer term view of his professionalism (or lack thereof) rather than looking only at last season.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rocco on Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:28 pm

He got paid. I doubt it.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:29 pm

I'm sure the pens were his first choice team-wise, he probably misses it here a bit.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:30 pm

Melrose had Recchi out on the PK tonight. Eek!

But no, I think Malone is fine down in Tampa. They will be pretty decent in a couple of years.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Eismann on Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:38 pm

The contrast between Vinny & Marty StL now and what they were around their Cup run is pretty striking. Still plenty of talent, but the coordination and kill has gone down. TB is going to need a couple years of the same lineup and a different coach to get themselves back together. Stamkos is raw, but you can see the potential. All that said, while I'm sure the paycheck is very reassuring, Malone's seen this type of nebula before while he was here and may have to live and work through more disappointments than he thought.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Guido on Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:58 pm

Malone needed to cash in while he could. His value had peaked and he couldn't risk taking a contract at a lower value, especially if he were to have a terrible season or injury. He did the right thing in financially securing his career and family. Bugsy was a class act and I hope things work out with the Lightning. With that said, I wouldn't be surprised one bit if he returned to the Pens one day in the future. If at a lower price, I wouldn't object.
Guido
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bob McKenzie on Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:08 am

That Tampa Bay team is horrendous.

Why they are playing Stamkos on the 4th line, I can't figure it out. Put him up on the top two lines. The kid has skill. See what he can do. Malone has been atrocious for them. Their defense took a major hit when they traded Dan Boyle (one of the stupidest trades I've ever seen). Boyle is one of the best defensemen in the game. He is a game changer. They trade him to San Jose for the centerpiece being Matt Carle and then they just trade Carle to Philly.

That franchise is reminding me a lot of the Milbury run Islanders. It's a joke.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby mac5155 on Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:22 am

i miss people using periods; come on man, that was one long sentence OP.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:28 am

Eismann wrote:The contrast between Vinny & Marty StL now and what they were around their Cup run is pretty striking. Still plenty of talent, but the coordination and kill has gone down. TB is going to need a couple years of the same lineup and a different coach to get themselves back together. Stamkos is raw, but you can see the potential. All that said, while I'm sure the paycheck is very reassuring, Malone's seen this type of nebula before while he was here and may have to live and work through more disappointments than he thought.

I don't know about that with Vinny and Marty. Vinny is twice the player now than he was in their cup year. He came out of the lockout a different player.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the HockeyGod on Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:36 am

Bob McKenzie wrote:That Tampa Bay team is horrendous.

Why they are playing Stamkos on the 4th line, I can't figure it out. Put him up on the top two lines. The kid has skill. See what he can do. Malone has been atrocious for them. Their defense took a major hit when they traded Dan Boyle (one of the stupidest trades I've ever seen). Boyle is one of the best defensemen in the game. He is a game changer. They trade him to San Jose for the centerpiece being Matt Carle and then they just trade Carle to Philly.

They are a joke.

Before the season I was decrying some of the moves they were making. Among them was overpaying Malone. I can't blame him for cashing in. It'd be foolish not to. But that team has become a parody of an NHL franachise. Malone may have flash backs to his X-Generation Penguin days on that sqaud.

I also remember for years, while on TV, Melrose would say, " You can't make a cake out of icing ", referring to building a team only with offensive minded players. So what does that team do? Supplements Lecavlier, St. Louis, Prospal, and Stamkos with guys like Recchi, Vrbata, Jokinen, and Malone. Malone is probably the best suited for 3rd or 4th line duty, but that would be a waste, especially considering how much money he's making. It seems like Melrose has abandoned his own edict. They signed marginal or over the hill offensive talents like Vrbata, Jokinen, and Recchi, and have no choice but to play them in roles they aren't really suited for. It's absurd.

And the whole Boyle thing ...wow. San Jose's laughing all the way to the win column. Dan Boyle must feel like he won the Powerball, if he's taken the time to look back at the team that he's left behind. Good for him I say. And then, to trade away Carle, this early into the season ...it makes no sense.
the HockeyGod

Postby purelebo84 on Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:46 am

the HockeyGod wrote:

They are a joke.

Before the season I was decrying some of the moves they were making. Among them was overpaying Malone. I can't blame him for cashing in. It'd be foolish not to. But that team has become a parody of an NHL franachise. Malone may have flash backs to his X-Generation Penguin days on that sqaud.

I also remember for years, while on TV, Melrose would say, " You can't make a cake out of icing ", referring to building a team only with offensive minded players. So what does that team do? Supplements Lecavlier, St. Louis, Prospal, and Stamkos with guys like Recchi, Vrbata, Jokinen, and Malone. Malone is probably the best suited for 3rd or 4th line duty, but that would be a waste, especially considering how much money he's making. It seems like Melrose has abandoned his own edict. They signed marginal or over the hill offensive talents like Vrbata, Jokinen, and Recchi, and have no choice but to play them in roles they aren't really suited for. It's absurd.

And the whole Boyle thing ...wow. San Jose's laughing all the way to the win column. Dan Boyle must feel like he won the Powerball, if he's taken the time to look back at the team that he's left behind. Good for him I say. And then, to trade away Carle, this early into the season ...it makes no sense.

Saw 5 had just come out. Koules was distracted.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby holeinone on Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:57 am

Keep overpaying for players and you get what you pay for. Another fat cat that won't produce. He had his 15 minutes of fame. I hope he enjoys the sunshine in Tampa. It won't be long that he will be packing for parts unknown.
holeinone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby the HockeyGod on Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:59 am

purelebo84 wrote:
the HockeyGod wrote:

They are a joke.

Saw 5 had just come out. Koules was distracted.

Well at the rate those Saw movies are coming out, Koules stands to be distracted all the time. The Saw franchise is going to catch the Friday the 13th, Halloween, and Nightmare on Elm Street franchises (maybe cumulatively) before 2009 is in the books.
the HockeyGod

Postby mjg on Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:11 am

Guido wrote:Malone needed to cash in while he could. His value had peaked and he couldn't risk taking a contract at a lower value, especially if he were to have a terrible season or injury. He did the right thing in financially securing his career and family. Bugsy was a class act and I hope things work out with the Lightning. With that said, I wouldn't be surprised one bit if he returned to the Pens one day in the future. If at a lower price, I wouldn't object.

I could secure my family for what the Penguins could have paid. How many millions do you need to secure your family? If I got 10-15 million over the next 5 years, I could retire, live in a nice house and golf every day for the rest of my life.
mjg
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jesse on Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:00 am

This Tampa team reminds me of the Penguins the year after the lockout.

They came out and threw a bunch of money around, expecting it to work, and they loaded up on offense.

No team with a defense that porous is going to go anywhere in this league. They took what was already a questionable unit and made it even worse with a bad trade for Mezaros to start the year. The entire Dan Boyle thing was a fiasco as well.

I love watching their new management fail. They came out so cocky and tried to act like they were about to make a cup run. Things don't work that way, Sally.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:03 am

Jesse wrote:This Tampa team reminds me of the Penguins the year after the lockout.

They came out and threw a bunch of money around, expecting it to work, and they loaded up on offense.

No team with a defense that porous is going to go anywhere in this league. They took what was already a questionable unit and made it even worse with a bad trade for Mezaros to start the year. The entire Dan Boyle thing was a fiasco as well.

I love watching their new management fail. They came out so cocky and tried to act like they were about to make a cup run. Things don't work that way, Sally.

I used to(a few months ago) think they were on their way to being good. After seeing everything this management has done, I'm skeptical. It seems like they figure out the "fix" that makes the least sense, and try it.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MWW on Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:38 am

I don´t think he misses the Pens that much. It was his opportunity to cash in. His family is financially secure now and he can live with it.

His stats are missing this Pens center called Jewgeni Malkin, that´s for sure ;-)
MWW
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Penspal on Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:19 am

He may not be scoring much, but I've seen him in a few fights and tossing the body around like he did last year down the stretch. I think the goals will come for him.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Doogs on Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:36 am

I'm hoping that he continues to dissappoint on the score sheet. Then, the Lightning can take a page out of the Oakland Raiders play-book and cut him like DeAngelo Hall. At that point Malone and Shero can recreate the scene from 10 where Dudley Moore and Bo Derek run towards each other. They don't kiss, they just sign the deal Malone should get from the Pens. This would logically conclude by us winning the Cup in Game 6 at home vs. Detroit and Hossa would be photographed in the Wings uni sitting along the boards in an eerie recreation of the pic below

Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby JeffTZ on Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:38 am

No team with a defense that porous is going to go anywhere in this league.

I don't want to be Mr Negative here.. but Pens and TB have both played 15 games and have given up 42 goals each.. so are the Pens going no where then?
JeffTZ
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins