The Pens/caps comparision

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

The Pens/caps comparision

Postby MarioLives on Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:02 am

Do you think the Caps could be last years Pens? Semin and OV....Malkin and Crosby....I sure hope not, I can't stand them....but they have looked good
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,462
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:30 pm

Re: The Pens/caps comparision

Postby littlemoonboot on Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:09 am

So I guess that means one of them will get injured, then. :P
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,440
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:04 pm
Location: @burgyhockey

Re: The Pens/caps comparision

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:29 am

Their goaltending is suspect and overall team D is not as good as the Pens. With a few moves, maybe.
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,972
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: The Pens/caps comparision

Postby mnpensfan on Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:38 am

Looks as though they are putting AO and Semin together on the same line. As with the Pens with Malkin and Crosby, they can't do that long term and expect to have success because it hurts scoring depth.

But you can't argue how well it's working right now......
mnpensfan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 332
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:48 am
Location: Cottage Grove, MN

Re: The Pens/caps comparision

Postby newarenanow on Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:44 am

I don't know, but they sure do look pretty good. They will have a good team for years to come.

Should make the Pens vs Caps series much more interesting.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,417
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: The Pens/caps comparision

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:10 am

The Caps have a pretty deep roster but shaky goaltending and play in the weakest division in the league. There are three potential lottery teams in the SE: Atlanta, Florida and Tampa.

Carolina can't seem to get it together consistently, either. I watched a little bit of the Canes/Craps game last night and it seemed that the Canes gave up an odd man rush each time the Caps came up ice. Forslund MUST have gotten sick of saying 2 on 1 or 3 on 2 all night.

At any rate, playing in that division probably gets them some extra standings points. I wouldn't be surprised if they crack 100 points this season.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,157
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:21 pm
Location: Roger Roger.

Re: The Pens/caps comparision

Postby Jim on Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:20 am

Their goaltending is suspect and overall team D is not ... good...


Sounds like the Pens from last year...
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,729
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: The Pens/caps comparision

Postby shmenguin on Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:22 am

the caps aren't built for the playoffs. not much offensive depth past their top 2 players (i'm not a big backstrom fan). weak d and weak goaltending. i'm betting they get knocked out in round 1 again by buffalo or ottawa.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,781
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: The Pens/caps comparision

Postby Eismann on Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:29 am

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:The Caps have a pretty deep roster but shaky goaltending and play in the weakest division in the league. There are three potential lottery teams in the SE: Atlanta, Florida and Tampa.

Carolina can't seem to get it together consistently, either. I watched a little bit of the Canes/Craps game last night and it seemed that the Canes gave up an odd man rush each time the Caps came up ice. Forslund MUST have gotten sick of saying 2 on 1 or 3 on 2 all night.

At any rate, playing in that division probably gets them some extra standings points. I wouldn't be surprised if they crack 100 points this season.


Pretty much a carbon-copy of last year.

FTR, I think a strong Caps team is great for the league and the fans outside Wash., especially Pens fans. Could be an awesome rivalry for years after lying dormant for a while.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,684
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:14 am
Location: Less obnoxious, brainless rehab addict chick

Re: The Pens/caps comparision

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:33 am

Jim wrote:
Their goaltending is suspect and overall team D is not ... good...


Sounds like the Pens from last year...


I dont think our goaltending was suspect. We knew Fleury had it in him and we all remember Conklin. It was solid when it got going. The Caps have a faded Thedore and Brent Johnson (any word on his injury?). Our team D was better then they have now too.

Our goaltending and D was not perfect but it was better is all I am saying...
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,972
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: The Pens/caps comparision

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:07 am

Caps aren't the Pens. As it was already said, their D is weaker and their goaltending is weaker. They don't have a veteran cog like Gonchar who can lead the staff and they don't have a young goalie on the verge of putting it together. Outside of Green, they have a bunch of mediocrity and that would explain their goalies pretty well too. Most importantly, I don't think they have the character of this Pens' team, which might be what makes them special above everything else. Ovechkin, Semin, Nylander, Kozlov... not exactly a group that inspires me to have confidence in them being able to come together as a team and pull through in tough playoff series.

I hope the Pens face the Caps at some point in the playoffs this year. It's been too long since the Pens eliminated them in a playoff series. Ovechkin and Semin are so obsessed with Malkin and Crosby, maybe they'd get a little dose of reality.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,480
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:31 pm

Re: The Pens/caps comparision

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:14 am

Henry Hank wrote:Ovechkin and Semin are so obsessed with Malkin and Crosby, maybe they'd get a little dose of reality.


This could really hurt the Caps in a series. I think Crosby and Malkin would be more focused on winning and not beating OV and Semin. The "hatred" that they have for our top 2 might take their mind off of the big picture. As Hank said, the Pens would be more focused.

None of this matters yet anyway. Let's see what happens in April.....when we have our top 2 Dmen back.

Man, that potential is just insane!
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,972
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: The Pens/caps comparision

Postby Steve McKenna'd on Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:25 am

That is one thing I really miss, eliminating the Caps from the playoffs. I really hope it happens this year, but with the new playoff format, it would mean the Pens would probably have to finish 6th in the conference. I really find that hard to imagine.
Steve McKenna'd
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 199
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:17 pm
Location: Outside the 'Burg

Re: The Pens/caps comparision

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:29 am

Steve McKenna'd wrote:That is one thing I really miss, eliminating the Caps from the playoffs. I really hope it happens this year, but with the new playoff format, it would mean the Pens would probably have to finish 6th in the conference. I really find that hard to imagine.


You have the coolest username ever!

Just remember not to Jim the Cop!
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,972
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: The Pens/caps comparision

Postby KG on Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:40 am

Not with a tandem of Theodore/Johnson in the nets...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,979
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NY

Re: The Pens/caps comparision

Postby Troy Loney on Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:09 pm

GP W L OT Pts GF GA

Pittsburgh 15 9 4 2 20 48 42
Washington 15 9 4 2 20 48 42


Weird.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,537
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:10 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: The Pens/caps comparision

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:31 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:Ovechkin and Semin are so obsessed with Malkin and Crosby, maybe they'd get a little dose of reality.


This could really hurt the Caps in a series. I think Crosby and Malkin would be more focused on winning and not beating OV and Semin. The "hatred" that they have for our top 2 might take their mind off of the big picture. As Hank said, the Pens would be more focused.

None of this matters yet anyway. Let's see what happens in April.....when we have our top 2 Dmen back.

Man, that potential is just insane!


Unless something happens to change the Caps, the pens don't need Gonch or Whitney to beat them. In fact they probably don't need them to beat anyone in the East.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,232
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: The Pens/caps comparision

Postby Kovy27 on Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:36 pm

Troy Loney wrote:GP W L OT Pts GF GA

Pittsburgh 15 9 4 2 20 48 42
Washington 15 9 4 2 20 48 42


Weird.


Very Weird. Like Canaan Weird.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,610
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:56 pm
Location: Break Down the Walls of Kovy27

Re: The Pens/caps comparision

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:39 pm

Kovy27 wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:GP W L OT Pts GF GA

Pittsburgh 15 9 4 2 20 48 42
Washington 15 9 4 2 20 48 42


Weird.


Very Weird. Like Canaan Weird.


But not Canaan's Mom weird
PensFanInDC
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,972
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:28 pm
Location: Fredneck

Re: The Pens/caps comparision

Postby Ginger on Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:51 pm

Eismann wrote:FTR, I think a strong Caps team is great for the league and the fans outside Wash., especially Pens fans. Could be an awesome rivalry for years after lying dormant for a while.


I do too! Not just for rivalries' sake, but look at the roster of both teams. The best in the league resides on these two teams so how could you possibly not want to watch games between them? And close enough for fans to actually travel & attend games at the oppositions arena. Does it get much better? :D
Ginger
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,734
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:32 pm
Location: Basically in my own little world

Re: The Pens/caps comparision

Postby MarioLives on Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:58 pm

I wish I felt the same way most of you do about the Caps depth and such. Too me, OV seems to be able to will his team to wins....but man i don't like them at all!
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,462
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:30 pm

Re: The Pens/caps comparision

Postby DocEmrick on Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:50 pm

DOES ALAX OVECHKEN WEAR A RUG ON HIS FACE
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,374
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:33 pm
Location: SETEC Astronomy

Re: The Pens/caps comparision

Postby wallflower on Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:58 pm

DocEmrick wrote:DOES ALAX OVECHKEN WEAR A RUG ON HIS FACE

He doesn't but he should. Dude is ugly.
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,913
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:19 pm
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: The Pens/caps comparision

Postby littlemoonboot on Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:26 pm

DocEmrick wrote:DOES ALAX OVECHKEN WEAR A RUG ON HIS FACE


MAYBE RACCHI'S RUG WILL FLY OFF HIS BALD HEAD AND COVER IT!!!!
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,440
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:04 pm
Location: @burgyhockey

Re: The Pens/caps comparision

Postby Rocky133213 on Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:44 pm

Not only are they always going to have a chance due to the rest of that division being made up of AHL teams....but they'll always get the F'ing #3 seed in the playoffs!!!

I hate the caps
Rocky133213
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 491
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:17 pm

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dan H, Desiato and 18 guests


e-mail