Does Malone miss the Pens

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Does Malone miss the Pens

Postby pens_CT on Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:29 pm

eastonpensfan wrote: The fact is that I only want the players who want to be here on the team. Guys like Crosby, Staal, Malkin, Whit, MAF, Talbot, TK, etc, want to be here and sign deals before they hit free agency.
The difference here is that none of these guys was offered around the league in a trade (or at least rumored to be), and I wouoldn't be suprised if it changed his attitude regarding signing here for less. As others have mentioned the cash difference was not trivial, especially for a guy who earns his living standing around in front of the net.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby littlemoonboot on Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:46 pm

If I had to play for the Lightning and under Barry Melrose, I'd be missing the Penguins, too. He probably misses Pittsburgh but he probably knew his days there were numbered and figured he'd better make the best of the situation.

To me, Malone staying in Pittsburgh was a scenario of trying to get a square peg to fit into a round hole. There were other players to sign, Shero had it in his mind the way things were going to be and he wasn't going to just stray from that and offer Malone more than what was in the plan. Malone (and his agent) had his own plan and vision of what he should be making, and there just was no fit either way.

holeinone wrote:Everybody crucifies Hossa for taking a 1 year contract in Detroit because as he put it " I want to win a Cup and I think Detroit is the best place for me to do that". Malone takes the money and almost every one give him a free pass so that he can live in luxury the rest of his life. Malone passes up a chance to win the cup and Hossa is trying to win the Cup. Which of those two scenarios makes more sense.

Both decisions were understandable, but I think Malone had different priorities and was more up front about things than Hossa was. I know we don't know the whole story, but Hossa seemed very misleading.

I can see why he wanted to play for Detroit but I think Hossa is taking a gamble that I think he will lose. Detroit is VERY good but looking at the way they are playing now, he is gambling with a team that is HUNG OVER and lacking the same attitude and determination that other teams have right now.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby holeinone on Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:14 pm

Well it didn't take long for all those ex penguin clubhouse lawyers to get Melrose fired. Maybe it was Recchi leading the way. All is not good in LIghtning land.
holeinone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby littlemoonboot on Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:41 pm

littlemoonboot wrote:If I had to play for the Lightning and under Barry Melrose, I'd be missing the Penguins, too.

What I just said there, except uh, for that Melrose part.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby wallflower on Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:48 pm

littlemoonboot wrote:
littlemoonboot wrote:If I had to play for the Lightning and under Barry Melrose, I'd be missing the Penguins, too.

What I just said there, except uh, for that Melrose part.

:lol:
wallflower
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Doogs on Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:55 pm

I suppose the Melrose thing is a NON factor. Fire BM!!!
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby purelebo84 on Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:25 pm

Malone is making money, but I'm sure he misses the Pens.

He's on a crappy team managed by total idiots, with a non-existent fan base, with no coach to speak of at the moment.

Meanwhile, he turns on NHL Network at night and sees his old mates being one of the top four teams in the NHL, and it probably pisses him off a bit, yes.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby holeinone on Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:13 pm

You would think that Malone being of sound mind and body, unless that shot to the beak blurred his mind, could have made a better choice of teams. Going from the Pens (a contender) to Tampa Bay (not a contender) would be something that you would do a little research on before making a decision. Money is not everything and when you are making a choice of where you are going for the foreseeable future you would think that you would come up with something other than Tampa Bay. This is your one choice to make for your future and money ain't everything (ask Kevin Stevens). Maybe he listened to his dopey agent too much.
holeinone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:22 pm

Money isn't everything, but the money wasn't even close. Rumors of the Pens' offers was something like four years at $3 million per. $30+ million is nowhere in the avenue of what the Pens were willing to commit. And even though he signed before July 1, I'm guessing he had a good idea of what other teams were prepared to offer him.

Professionally, he probably took a step back three years or so, but his future is set for life, his family's future is set for life, and that's family money that will live on for generations. There's no player, especially one who's barely done anything in his career, who's going to turn that down when he hasn't made any money yet. There's no one here that would turn down ~$20 million to leave Pittsburgh when they've had a pretty mediocre career for the most part. Who knows, Malone could have taken the Pens' offer and his career could have been over by the time it was done due to injury or whatever. $20 million is not something you pass up even if you're already a millionaire.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby holeinone on Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:27 pm

Other teams were interested as well and if the best he could come up with was TB then he was very valuable to other teams. But I don't think that was the case. He just went to the highest bidder. Hope enjoys last place teams. After climbing with the Pens why would you want to take that many steps backward. Surely there was someone out there that was a better fit than TB, maybe not as much cash but at least a chance to win. It is like someone coming to play for the Pirates, WHY other than a big paycheck
holeinone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Draftnik on Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:35 pm

Malone (understandably) did what was best for himself and his family; he took the $$$.

The Pens did what was best for them; they saved their serious payroll/Cap for core players and will continue to keep the non-core players on short term low (relative) $$$ deals.

The only losers here are the TB Lightning.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby holeinone on Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:45 pm

Do you really think malone did the best for himself by going to TB. I don't think so. It is like going to the Pirates like I said. No chance to win just a bigger paycheck. If you are really competitive, don't you want to go somewhere that also gives you a chance to win. Would you take a job where you know going in that you would not be happy but the money was terrific. I know some people that did that and they regretted it. Money cannot buy happiness.\\ Trust me on that one
holeinone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Draftnik on Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:18 am

The Pens traded Malone before UFA even started. There is an underlying assumption in this thread that the Pens were offering slightly less $$$ and/or term than Malone received from TB. There is no evidence to support that assumption. The Pens wanted to keep Orpik, so they strung him along while they waited for Hossa to make his decision. The Pens weren't too interested in keeping Malone so they got rid of him and picked up a draft pick.

A pro athlete has a relatively short time period of peak earning years relative to other professions. It makes sense for them to make $$$ while they can. When Malone is in his 40s, 50s, 60s, etc the $$$ he banked as a result of his Tampa contract will provide a higher quality standard of living for him and his family than any memories from the Pens could provide. The only thing guaranteed in all of this is Malone's $$$.

Tampa isn't like the Pirates. Tampa won the Cup in 04. They were in the 07 playoffs. The Pirates haven't won the WS since 79 and haven't made the playoffs since 92. They are in the midst of 16 consecutive losing seasons with no end in sight. Tampa is currently in a the midst of a 1 season losing streak. Tampa also isn't in the bottom 2 or 3 teams in terms of payroll like the Pirates have been for years.

Tampa is in a bad patch right now because of Koules and Barrie, but they would have to suck for the next decade to even begin approaching Pirates territory.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mjg on Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:29 am

Draftnik wrote:The Pens traded Malone before UFA even started. There is an underlying assumption in this thread that the Pens were offering slightly less $$$ and/or term than Malone received from TB. There is no evidence to support that assumption. The Pens wanted to keep Orpik, so they strung him along while they waited for Hossa to make his decision. The Pens weren't too interested in keeping Malone so they got rid of him and picked up a draft pick.

A pro athlete has a relatively short time period of peak earning years relative to other professions. It makes sense for them to make $$$ while they can. When Malone is in his 40s, 50s, 60s, etc the $$$ he banked as a result of his Tampa contract will provide a higher quality standard of living for him and his family than any memories from the Pens could provide. The only thing guaranteed in all of this is Malone's $$$.

Tampa isn't like the Pirates. Tampa won the Cup in 04. They were in the 07 playoffs. The Pirates haven't won the WS since 79 and haven't made the playoffs since 92. They are in the midst of 16 consecutive losing seasons with no end in sight. Tampa is currently in a the midst of a 1 season losing streak. Tampa also isn't in the bottom 2 or 3 teams in terms of payroll like the Pirates have been for years.

Tampa is in a bad patch right now because of Koules and Barrie, but they would have to suck for the next decade to even begin approaching Pirates territory.

Tampa just fired their coach 16 games into the season.

To truly know how to answer this question, we'd have to know the entire story. We don't know what the Pens max offer was to Malone. We also don't know how much he "loved" Pittsburgh. So we don't know exactly how much more money it took to get him to leave his "beloved" hometown. I stated earlier in this thread that if someone gave me $10-15 million to work for the next 5 years, I could quit working and golf for the rest of my life. While that's true, I'm not sure I would turn down the extra $10 million or so to spend 5 years in a warmer climate while playing a game for a living. I'm sure Malone weighed a bunch of things, perhaps even how much pressure it is playing in his hometown, before turning down the Pens offer (if there was one). He's in Tampa, making good money. He might miss the Pens. But don't shed any tears for the man. I think he'll be just fine.
mjg
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby holeinone on Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:02 am

My point was never about staying in pittsburgh. I am saying that he could have made a better choice of teams to go to. Other teams were interested other than TB but they obviously had the highest offer out there. Money still doesn't buy happiness but greed seems to win out almost all the time. I did not say i miss Malone or shed any tears for him. Quite frankly I thought he was over rated and a product of playing with very good players. He won't see that in TB and his stats will show that. I guess he had his shot at glory and now he likes the warm weather and going to the beach until they get restless and trade him. Trust me unless he has a no trade clause he won't last in TB
holeinone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Doogs on Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:28 am

I don't think that the Pens and Malone ever got close on a contract. That seperation may have been seen as unsurmountable to the Pens and they did what was best for them. Get AT LEAST a draft pick for a 25 goal scorer. Malone did what was best for his personal situation...financially. Tampa Bay may be the NHL version of the Pirates, but it might just have been about setting your new family up. Can't really blame him, however you ALSO can't blame the man for thinking "Damn, I would be SO MUCH better off with the Pens and look where I am at... Rick Tocchets team... and he replaced the mullet. What the f did I do?" Either way, as I see it. Both sides might have had been atleast a little happier if they would have had a REALLY GOOD Monday Morning QB on the payroll!!!
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby farnham16 on Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:24 am

I'm sure Malone is missing playing for the Pens. Why wouldnt he? The Pens are a far better team than Tampa Bay and he would have a much better chance at winning the Cup.

But he had to take the money down in Tampa, I'm sure hes not regreting the choice he made. I think now everyone is seeing that is truly is just a tough, average player that Malkin made look good. Shero was smart to let him leave.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kicksave on Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:34 am

in Malone's defense...Tampa is an awesome city. If I was a millionaire, that'd be one of the only cities I'd consider moving to that has a chance of hurricanes and such. Because of the where they're situated, they haven't been hit that bad by a hurricane in like 80-something years.

Disclaimer: It's 1:30am and I could be wrong, although I'm pretty sure this is the case. Either way, it really has nothing to do with the topic.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:55 am

If I could afford to live whereever I wanted, I'd be in San Diego, no question.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:38 pm

does malone miss melrose?
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby holeinone on Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:41 pm

He misses Melrose like a broken leg
holeinone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Doogs on Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:44 pm

I doubt he really misses Melrose Place, but since the brought back 902106794323, perhaps Melrose is next. Then he'd be truely happy?
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby holeinone on Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:52 pm

WHAT????
holeinone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Ron` on Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:40 pm

holeinone wrote:My point was never about staying in pittsburgh. I am saying that he could have made a better choice of teams to go to. Other teams were interested other than TB but they obviously had the highest offer out there. Money still doesn't buy happiness but greed seems to win out almost all the time. I did not say i miss Malone or shed any tears for him. Quite frankly I thought he was over rated and a product of playing with very good players. He won't see that in TB and his stats will show that. I guess he had his shot at glory and now he likes the warm weather and going to the beach until they get restless and trade him. Trust me unless he has a no trade clause he won't last in TB
7 years gaurenteed contract? What don't you understand? If he needs a hip replacement tomorrow, he's set. Nobody was offering that kind of contract. If he gets moved, the bill of sale goes with him. It was the right decision for Ryan.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby holeinone on Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:08 pm

So if I understand you, take the money regardless of the circumstances and money buys happiness. Money is the only factor in accepting a contract
holeinone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins