Stewie Griffin Postgame - Sabres at Pens

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Stewie Griffin Postgame - Sabres at Pens

Postby netwolf on Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:08 am

Credit to Kicksave for the sweet Pens-centric pic.
Stewie Griffin wrote:Now then, I’m going to do something I call the “compliment sandwich”, where I say something good, then talk about where you need improvement, and then end with something good.

Sabres at Pens, a 5-2 win

Something good: Firing on all cylinders. The Pens got contributions from all of their forward lines. Scoring chances, energy, physical play, it was all there.

Where they need improvement: Defensive Coverage. The Pens held Buffalo to 2 goals on 23 shots, which is pretty good. However, both goals and 6 other shots came from inside the house (draw a rectangle from the face-off dots and down to the goal line). Fortunately, Fleury was up to the task and made some key save, most notably on Maxim Afinogenov.

Something good: Malkin's Dominance. Sure, he had a goal a 3 assists on 4 shots and was +2. He also fired 2 more shots wide and had 2 more blocked. He's starting to fire from everywhere, and the more he does that, the more are going to hit the net, and that's only going to lead to good things for this team. Malkin also won 83% of his face-offs.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Stewie Griffin Postgame - Sabres at Pens

Postby rasbatch on Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:16 am

love the compliment sandwich, sometimes I slip in double meat if they can handle it.
I think the chemistry and the cycling are really becoming evident hopefully they just keep playing like this
with a few tweaks.
rasbatch
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Three Stars on Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:20 am

However, both goals and 6 other shots came from inside the house (draw a rectangle from the face-off dots and down to the goal line).

So what you're saying is...
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Corvidae on Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:52 am

netwolf wrote:Malkin also won 83% of his face-offs.

Wow, I did not notice that. The Mantis much be taking him under his wing.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Samsdog on Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:55 pm

Good: Anyone else notice that Fedotenko is starting to click with Malkin and Sykora? I'm not saying just because of the goal but he looked like he was starting to fit in well with that line. Loving Talbot with Sid and Satan. All-in-all this team is starting to gel pretty closely.

Bad: Hate to quote or even paraphrase Barry Melrose, but considering how much these guys are getting paid and that hockey is their livelihood I don't think its too much to ask to play all 60 minutes. They started the game very flat, and while Buffalo did come out firing on all cylinders the Pens really didn't challenge them. Honorable mention to a few dumb penalties taken in the defensive zone.

Good: Excellent PK work. Staal has hit a groove, he looks like he has more purpose out on the ice and is working the offensive zone much more vigorously. Looks good, hopefully not just a streak.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Eismann on Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:31 pm

Good: FedEx. The chemistry is coming along, and was quite noticeable last night. Directed his effort much better with Geno. Kept close to the action and did a decent job on the boards.

Bad: On a night when Buf was coming off a 6-1 tarring at home the night before, and missing Connolly, Paetsch, and Kotalik, I was hoping to see Satan, Max, and/or Sykora contribute more on the scoresheet. While they were credited with 3,2, and 1 shots, didn't seem that they were in the play as much.

Good: This is becoming not fair to the rest of the league if Cooke-Staal-Kennedy continues to be a factor. Another solid performance by the, ahem, 3rd line. Jordan got to the front of the net plenty. Just would have liked to have seen his boys chuck pucks into the house and let him do his thang.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby 71Aj66ax87 on Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:20 pm

71Aj66ax87
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Henry Hank on Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:23 pm

Good: Anyone else notice that Fedotenko is starting to click with Malkin and Sykora? I'm not saying just because of the goal but he looked like he was starting to fit in well with that line. Loving Talbot with Sid and Satan. All-in-all this team is starting to gel pretty closely.

Fedotenko-Malkin-Sykora will be the new Malone-Malkin-Sykora. Fedotenko's quietly on the "Malone pace."
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Henry Hank on Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:25 pm

Bad: Hate to quote or even paraphrase Barry Melrose, but considering how much these guys are getting paid and that hockey is their livelihood I don't think its too much to ask to play all 60 minutes. They started the game very flat, and while Buffalo did come out firing on all cylinders the Pens really didn't challenge them. Honorable mention to a few dumb penalties taken in the defensive zone.

I thought the Pens gave a pretty fair effort. You have to credit the other side sometimes. Buffalo bounced back nicely after being embarrassed on Friday night. I thought the Pens were in it the whole time and eventually they proved to be too much. Buffalo could only hold them for so long.

A little bit of an aside but I don't really agree with the expectation of a full 60 minute effort each night. It's unrealistic in the way people want it. If the Pens played for 60 minutes the way people want them to play, they'd never lose. Too high a standard for me. But again, I thought their effort was there the whole night. Buffalo's a solid team again.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:46 pm

Loved the video montage they played showing clips of the last blue wearing penguins and the new ones. They had Mike Lange's call of the plays weaving through both era's. Very cool. Also loved the classic rock music played during the game.

Good~ Ruslan Fedatanko, Jordan Staal, Alex Google :) and Flower! Loved Ruutu, but his reputation got him more penalties called. Matt Cooke can add scoring along with a physical / nasty side. I love the pens defense; proud of the defense.

*when shooting the puck more, goals happen...with more goals scored, pens win.
Since Phoenix, team has out shot their opponents. (tied detroit)
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby netwolf on Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:30 pm

penny lane wrote:Loved the video montage they played showing clips of the last blue wearing penguins and the new ones. They had Mike Lange's call of the plays weaving through both era's. Very cool. Also loved the classic rock music played during the game.

I'm not a fan of the powder blues, but that video was pretty cool and nicely done.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby purelebo84 on Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:33 pm

There was nothing bad about that game.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins