Sydor traded to Dallas for Boucher according to RDS

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Sydor traded to Dallas for Boucher according to RDS

Postby Henry Hank on Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:21 pm

Dallas fans seem pretty down on Boucher. Of course, given Pens' fans attitudes about certain players, that kind of thing isn't always very accurate. I think we probably should caution our expectations for Boucher. There's a reason Dallas would make this trade. The grass may not be greener on the other side. He's depth first and hopefully more. I can't really argue with their approach with the deal. They know what the market for Sydor is. If nobody was willing to take on his contract and give up a pick, this is still a worthy direction as they're moving laterally at worst and potentially getting an upgrade.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby NJ5934 on Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:28 pm

Theres no way Whitney gets moved at this point. The guy is locked in for another 5 years and his contract will be a steal in another year. In this day and age you just don't move great contracts.

Unless its a can't refuse offer like Dustin Brown, I think Whitney stays. We're more likely to see Gonchar traded than Whit.

Boucher is a really nice addition at this point, especially considering it didn't cost us anything.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby littlemoonboot on Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:30 pm

Everything is the devil to you, Mama! Well, I like school, and I like hockey! And I'm gonna keep doin' them both because they make me feel good!
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mongoose87 on Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:30 pm

NJ5934 wrote:Theres no way Whitney gets moved at this point. The guy is locked in for another 5 years and his contract will be a steal in another year. In this day and age you just don't move great contracts.

Unless its a can't refuse offer like Dustin Brown, I think Whitney stays. We're more likely to see Gonchar traded than Whit.

Boucher is a really nice addition at this point, especially considering it didn't cost us anything.

Considering how much offensive d-men got in free agency, Whitney's contract is already a steal.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Daniel87 on Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:30 pm

Henry Hank wrote:
Orpik-Gonchar
Letang-Whitney
Boucher-Gogo

I think the only way you can use that lineup is if: 1) Whitney comes back at another level, 2) Boucher bounces back to 06-07 standards or at least close to it, and 3) Goligoski improves in his own end. Skill on the back end is a luxury these days but you still have to balance it out. Scuderi and Gill have been huge on the PK and in turn the improved PK has been a big part of this team's heightened success since the deadline last year. I'd be hesitant to break that up. At least one of the two has to be in the lineup for the playoffs.

Yeah there is no way that happens imo. The Pens cant have 5 offensive minded D out there every night. Gill and Scuds are very valuable to this team and I can't see either of them sitting for more then a few games. Didnt MT say early this year Gill was a top 4 D out of all 9? I think some people are just too quick to jump on the Gogo bandwagon. Sure he got the S/o winner the other day and had the sweet PP goal last night, but his defense has been less then stellar imo. We can chalk this up to a learning experience for now, but once the playoffs roll around they won't care if he's young or not. They'll want the guys who can get the job done.

My guess is we won't have much of a problem as there always seems to be injuries.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mikey287 on Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:17 pm

Karl_Racki wrote:
DelPen wrote:
Karl_Racki wrote:Neither would make it past waivers..

Good thing neither have to go through waivers.

Why wouldn't Gogo have to go through, he is 23 and has played in 16 NHL games.

Under no circumstances does a player his age require waivers to be sent down in his very first NHL season...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JeanPronovost on Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:39 pm

JeanPronovost
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:43 pm

Karl_Racki wrote:So he doesn't have to pass waivers until he is in his 3rd season or have played 80 games?

Why did Bissonnette have to pass?

Because he is in his 4th professional season? I think thats why he has to clear, but even after reading the CBA section on it, i'm confused. In fact, I'm more confused after reading it.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensBeerGeek on Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:47 pm

mikey287 wrote:Under no circumstances does a player his age require waivers to be sent down in his very first NHL season...

Janne Pesonen (age 26) is a pretty good example of this.
PensBeerGeek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:28 pm

I was expecting Malkin to LA. :(
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JeanPronovost on Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:42 pm

JeanPronovost
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:16 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
Karl_Racki wrote:So he doesn't have to pass waivers until he is in his 3rd season or have played 80 games?

Why did Bissonnette have to pass?

Because he is in his 4th professional season? I think thats why he has to clear, but even after reading the CBA section on it, i'm confused. In fact, I'm more confused after reading it.

Right, it appears Bissonnette signed in 2005 making him 20 when that happened so he had 2 years/160 games. This would be year #4 now. Same thing happened with Stone and Filewich as they also each had 3 years of waiver eligibility.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KG on Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:02 pm

No brainer for the pens...Boucher is a righ hand shot who can easily play on the power play to give Goligoski/Letang some help....Win for Shero...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Justin Catanzarite on Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:26 pm

http://boards.dallasstars.com/index.php ... pic=760277

The Stars fans seem annoyed by the trade, so I like it.

In Shero We Trust, of course.
Justin Catanzarite
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Ron` on Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:28 pm

Hey let the old man go, wants to go and he got his wish. A wash on the trade as either player has to play his way into the lineup, slight edge to the younger guy. That hurts to say.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby The Snapshot on Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:30 pm

If he can stay healthy, he is fairly physical and has some nice offensive skills. I think he will definitely supplant Eaton in the rotation, because he is righty and a has a cannon shot that they will want in the lineup for the one of the PP points. It may also mean that Malkin will move back up front on the PP and let him work with Goligoski on the other point.

The second unit just got another talented forward dropped down to it as well if Malkin moves up.

If you take a guy from the Press Box and turn him into a PP point man and top 6 D, there is a very positive ripple effect. Great deal with little risk, since even if Boucher gets injured Sydor wasn't playing anyway and Whitney should be back soon.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Va Beach Pens Fan on Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:52 pm

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?servi ... eid=392788

How is it that Boucher himself didn't know about the trade until Sunday morning, but all us knuckleheads knew Saturday night ??

I mean, I realize the trade call with the league was Sunday morning, but no calls from the agent or the GM in the meantime ??

Oh well, just the sort of stuff I'm always curious about.... ;)

Also, loved the quote from his daughter about how Daddy is gonna play with Sidney Crosby....
Va Beach Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:27 am

I do not think that the idea was to get Boucher. Shero was doing Sydor a solid by moving him off the team. In order for Dallas to absorb Sydor's $2.5M they needed to move at least $2M out. Apparently Boucher wasn't in Dallas' plans much like Sydor was not in the Penguin's plans.

I do not see this trade as an attempt to improve the Penguins. I see it as the team making a statement that they are willing to help their players (Sydor) when said player is genuinly in a bad spot. This trade in NO WAY hurts the Penguins, but I do not feel that improving the team played any real part in the deal.

(Above is a repost into the correct thread for the context)

Although Boucher is no slouch... people need to remember that he was traded one-for-one for Sydor. Dallas did not make this trade as a salary dump or for extrea picks or whatever. Boucher was not really working out to their expectations. A new team and teammates might do both guys a lot of good, but I would not expect a sudden star player to come in as replacement for an oft-scratched player.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:24 am

underrated aspect of this trade...

no more orpik fumbling around on the 2nd unit. i like ya brooks, but the words "puck" and "hand grenade" have been to closely tied to your game this year.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:28 am

shmenguin wrote:underrated aspect of this trade...

no more orpik fumbling around on the 2nd unit. i like ya brooks, but the words "puck" and "hand grenade" have been to closely tied to your game this year.

Underrated aspect #2: no more awkward interviews with Sydor in the booth during games.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:30 am

shmenguin wrote:underrated aspect of this trade...

:) there goes his career year in points.
speaking of Brooks Orpik, quotes from today's trib in appreciate of D Sydor:

"The guy played over 1,100 games and has two Cup rings. He wasn't playing a lot, but he was working hard every day on and off the ice and being a great teammate. The tendency for 95 percent of the guys in his situation would be to go the other way.
"Darryl chose to go about it the right way."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 98763.html
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bill from turtle creek on Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:01 am

Dickie Dunn wrote:
I don't know if Sydor would be classified as a locker room cancer, but he was a disturbance and the coaching staff holds him, Recchi, and Roberts partially responsible for Staal's play last season because they were an extremely negative influence on him.

This article suggests that you do not know of what you speak.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 98763.html
bill from turtle creek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby cs6687 on Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:01 pm

iEUX wrote:Image

oompa loompa doompa dah dee...

Definitely looks that way. But I'm thinking more Waterboy references will be made.
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rohit on Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:29 pm

does anyone know where i can find a video of the awkward locker room interview?

im not good at finding things on youtube that i havent at least seen before
Rohit
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins