Stewie Griffin Postgame - Pens at Sabres

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Stewie Griffin Postgame - Pens at Sabres

Postby netwolf on Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:03 pm

Credit to Kicksave for the sweet Pens-centric pic.
Stewie Griffin wrote:Now then, I’m going to do something I call the “compliment sandwich”, where I say something good, then talk about where you need improvement, and then end with something good.

Pens at Sabres, a 4-3 loss

Something good: Even Strength Offense. The Pens generated 24 shots at even strength and got 3 of them past Ryan Miller.

Where they need improvement: Power Play. Another close, one goal loss in which the power play was noticeably absent. 0-7 with 5 shots over 10:59 of power play time is not going to get it done. I don't know what the solution is, but I hope smarter hockey minds than I figure it out soon. Tonight would be good.

Something good: John Curry. If you missed the game, 4 goals against and an .875 save percentage don't look that impressive, but he made a ton of great saves, especially in the third period when the rest of the team seemingly went to sleep. He couldn't have done anything about the goals he did give up and made at least 3 highlight-quality saves. The Sabres could have easily had a 5 goal third period had Curry not been on his game.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Stewie Griffin Postgame - Pens at Sabres

Postby farnham16 on Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:16 pm

Something good: Even strength offense continues to be solid. Sid and Geno still playing great.

Improvement: The Power Play. It is sad right now. Sometimes they can't get shots through, sometimes they can't step up anything in the zone, and sometimes they can't even get the puck into the offensive zone. Mike Yeo is officially an idiot. Changing personel isn't working. The whole system needs changed. Also, the defense continues to give up way too many good scoring chances.

Something good: Curry was solid. He made some incredible saves in the third to keep us in it for awhile.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:56 pm

good: curry looks like a good backup

bad: power play. it's a disaster, plain and simple. the 5-3 was the end of my sanity during the game

good: i'm not from buffalo. what a city full of idiots last night. from the tv announcers to the fans. grow up. take your medicine when you screw up. just because the bills lost 4 superbowls doesn't everyone is out to get you. those were all penalties. the one on gill was by far the softest call of the night.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Why So Serious? on Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:59 pm

shmenguin wrote:good: curry looks like a good backup

bad: power play. it's a disaster, plain and simple. the 5-3 was the end of my sanity during the game

good: i'm not from buffalo. what a city full of idiots last night. from the tv announcers to the fans. grow up. take your medicine when you screw up. just because the bills lost 4 superbowls doesn't everyone is out to get you. those were all penalties. the one on gill was by far the softest call of the night.

Gill's penalty was by far an even-up call as Errey said on TV. Kennedy should have been in the box for tripping, on the play before. They didn't call that so they were looking for any even-up call on the Pens and Gill was the unfortunate one to head to the box.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Noise on Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:50 pm

shmenguin wrote:good: curry looks like a good backup

Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins