Goligoski a Star

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Goligoski a Star

Postby Kraftster on Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:59 pm

I'm not saying I disagree that he should get around $2, but, the young Dman is making a killing in the "New (when will we stop being able to say that?) NHL"

See Matt Greene ($2.95), Brett Seabrook ($3.5), Trevor Daley ($2.3), ME Vlasic ($3.1), Edler ($3.25). I'm sure there are others I'm missing too. If Goligoski stays with the team all season, then I can't imagine it being below $2.75 unless its like a two-year deal. Because, if he stays with the team, presumably he's going to be getting some solid icetime (otherwise you send him down). If he finishes with 30+ points, you are looking at Tobias Enstrom (39 point rookie season - $3.75) being thrown in the mix too.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:02 pm

Kraftser, who's side are you on?

Or are you Goligoski's agent? = )
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kraftster on Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:07 pm

Hah, I wish.

The NHLPA won't let people become agents, though.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bob McKenzie on Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:55 pm

When I said Goligoski has the talent/skills to score 20 goals in a year as a defenseman, some people balked at that.

I'll say it again. Gogo can score 20 in this league. His offensive instincts are top notch. I'd hate to see him get traded because he's the perfect replacement for Gonchar on the PP.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby bh on Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:46 pm

Well we have 4 d-men that essentially fill the same role.
Gonchar, Whitney, Letang, and Gogo.
People are saying that at least one of them will need to go soon, but who?

Gonchar has a no trade clause and when on top of his game is a legit top notch defensman. He's also the oldest and most expensive with one more year on his contract. His offensive instincts come so naturally and last year was our best defender bar none.

Whitney has a top notch 1st pass. He's locked up long term reletively cheap. He's a great locker room personallity and brings leadership skills to the team.

Letang is a tease. He blessed with great wheels, hands, and vision. He seems like he should provide more offense than he does. When I see him play the #1 player that he reminds me of is Scott Niedermayer. I think that hte offense will come with time. I love his drive and competitiveness. It would be really hard to give up the Tang.

Goligoksi has much better offensive instincts than Letang. He reminds me of Gonchar so much.

So what do the Pens do? All are so talented that it would be hard to part with any of them. I think if I'd have to pick one to leave it would be Gonchar. He has the highest cap numbers and isn't getting any younger. The problem is that he has a no trade clause. I doubt he'd go.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Why So Serious? on Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:50 pm

Jesse wrote:For those that don't think he should be sent down, what would you do when Gonchar and Whitney return in terms of the line-up?

All I know....is that a lot can happen between now and when Gonchar comes back. As for when Whitney and Gill are back.

Scuderi-Orpik
Letang-Whitney
Gill/Boucher-Goligoski

Goligoski HAS to stay here. He has been outstanding back there.
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pens4Life on Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:36 pm

I didnt understand Boucher swap then and i dont now.. We had a lot of d-mans then,few injuries yes.. but overall enough d-man with also AHL-ers Lovejoy and Richmond,later Ben even played as call up. We have too much d-man and when Sarge return,even more d-mans..

One of the Boucher-Eaton has to go,or there will be too much money in pressbox,GoGo must stay with the big club and play..
Trade Boucher or Eaton,or send one down thru waivers,but then we will lost someone for nothing for sure..

now :
Orpik - Scuds
Whitney - Letang (he is probably out just for game or 2)
Goligoski - Eaton/Boucher

when all healthy :
Gonchar - Orpik
Whitney - Letang
Goligoski - Scuderi
Gill
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby meecrofilm on Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:41 pm

Pens4Life wrote:I didnt understand Boucher swap then and i dont now.. We had a lot of d-mans then,few injuries yes.. but overall enough d-man with also AHL-ers Lovejoy and Richmond,later Ben even played as call up. We have too much d-man and when Sarge return,even more d-mans..

One of the Boucher-Eaton has to go,or there will be too much money in pressbox,GoGo must stay with the big club and play..
Trade Boucher or Eaton,or send one down thru waivers,but then we will lost someone for nothing for sure..

now :
Orpik - Scuds

when all healthy :
Gonchar - Orpik
Whitney - Letang
Goligoski - Scuderi
Gill

Well first off, it's never a bad thing to have too many NHL-ready Dmen at the position. Most teams would kill to have the depth the Pens have.

And I slighty disagree with your final pairings. I'm an advocate of:

Orpik-Gonchar
Whitney-Scuderi
Gill-Letang

You want Gill in for the playoffs. You really do. Plus each pairing has an Offensive Dman and a "stay at home" one, so to speak. They've all spent considerable time with each other before too. I'll argue with anyone that, injury-pending, this should the Top-6 for the playoffs.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Why So Serious? on Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:42 pm

meecrofilm wrote:
Pens4Life wrote:I didnt understand Boucher swap then and i dont now.. We had a lot of d-mans then,few injuries yes.. but overall enough d-man with also AHL-ers Lovejoy and Richmond,later Ben even played as call up. We have too much d-man and when Sarge return,even more d-mans..

now :
Orpik - Scuds

when all healthy :
Gonchar - Orpik
Whitney - Letang
Goligoski - Scuderi
Gill

Well first off, it's never a bad thing to have too many NHL-ready Dmen at the position. Most teams would kill to have the depth the Pens have.

Orpik-Gonchar
Whitney-Scuderi
Gill-Letang

You want Gill in for the playoffs. You really do. Plus each pairing has an Offensive Dman and a "stay at home" one, so to speak. They've all spent considerable time with each other before too. I'll argue with anyone that, injury-pending, this should the Top-6 for the playoffs.

So you think Goligoski should be sent down?
Why So Serious?
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pens4Life on Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:43 pm

meecrofilm wrote:

now :
Orpik - Scuds

when all healthy :
Gonchar - Orpik
Whitney - Letang
Goligoski - Scuderi
Gill

Orpik-Gonchar
Whitney-Scuderi
Gill-Letang

Why would you sit GoGo,unexperianced?
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Stan Potash on Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:45 pm

Trade MT!!
Stan Potash
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Daniel87 on Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:50 pm

We could potentially have 8 D in a few weeks when Letang/Gill are back. I think they'll go with 7 D while sitting Eaton. Any 4th line player is not more important then Goligoski/Boucher. They hardly play anyway. When you have Malkin-Crosby-Staal, we can easily get one of them to take an extra shift with the 4th line every so often.

When Gonchar comes back it's a whole different story. I've been under the impression this entire season that Gogo would be sent back down when he returns. There always seems to be injuries though so who knows at this point? Either way, Shero will probably have to move someone before the deadline.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Angle on Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:52 pm

You scared me - when I saw the subject I thought he was traded to Dallas.
Angle
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bob McKenzie on Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:53 pm

Let's see how Gonchar returns from his injury before sending Gogo away in a trade or down to the minors. Even Whitney at this point.

I'm really concerned about how Sarge is going to return from this injury. It's not like it's a broken finger.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby purelebo84 on Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:15 pm

Not that I want to trade this guy, but that was a nationally televised game.

His stock is through the roof right about now.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby purelebo84 on Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:16 pm

meecrofilm wrote:

now :
Orpik - Scuds

when all healthy :
Gonchar - Orpik
Whitney - Letang
Goligoski - Scuderi
Gill

Orpik-Gonchar
Whitney-Scuderi
Gill-Letang

I've got an idea--

Dress seven defensemen and eleven forwards.

No need to have Eric Godard playing instead of Gogo in the playoffs.
purelebo84
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitts on Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:20 pm

Gaucho wrote:I have no idea why anyone would think Gogo could be send down.

Because he is the only defenseman that can be sent down without being waived.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bob McKenzie on Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:31 pm

purelebo84 wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:

now :
Orpik - Scuds

when all healthy :
Gonchar - Orpik
Whitney - Letang
Goligoski - Scuderi
Gill

Orpik-Gonchar
Whitney-Scuderi
Gill-Letang

I've got an idea--

Dress seven defensemen and eleven forwards.

No need to have Eric Godard playing instead of Gogo in the playoffs.

Good point. Godard only plays 4 minutes a game and in a pinch, Letang can be used at forward.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Daniel on Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:40 pm

Why So Serious? wrote:Goligoski WILL NOT/SHOULD NOT be sent to WB/S when this team is fully healthy. When Whitney comes back, you sit Eaton in the pressbox. And when Gill is ready, I think you send Boucher (although I don't think he's been that bad since he's been here) to the pressbox.

Alex Goligoski is clearly ATLEAST a top 6 dman on this team. And he has shown it. And I am so glad that he finally learning to shoot the puck from everywhere. He has now 6G, 12A, 18P in 32 games as a dman. And he is second on the team with a +11. He would definitely get my vote for the Calder Trophy early here.

When Whitney and Gonchar come back (I can't remember when Gonchar comes back), then Goligoski will have a smaller role and won't produce as much. Unless, of course, someone else gets hurt.

Do you send him down to get better minutes, and come up when the roster expands or do you work on trading/releasing Boucher and/or Eaton?

I kinda think the best is to send Goligoski down to get more minutes and use Eaton/Boucher until the rosters expand. If Gonchar comes back in March, that doesn't leave a whole lot of games before the playoffs. Goligoski can go to WBS for that time and come back up for the playoffs, when it doesn't matter if you sit Eaton/Boucher.
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Daniel on Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:45 pm

bh wrote:Well we have 4 d-men that essentially fill the same role.
Gonchar, Whitney, Letang, and Gogo.
People are saying that at least one of them will need to go soon, but who?

Gonchar has a no trade clause and when on top of his game is a legit top notch defensman. He's also the oldest and most expensive with one more year on his contract. His offensive instincts come so naturally and last year was our best defender bar none.

Whitney has a top notch 1st pass. He's locked up long term reletively cheap. He's a great locker room personallity and brings leadership skills to the team.

Letang is a tease. He blessed with great wheels, hands, and vision. He seems like he should provide more offense than he does. When I see him play the #1 player that he reminds me of is Scott Niedermayer. I think that hte offense will come with time. I love his drive and competitiveness. It would be really hard to give up the Tang.

Goligoksi has much better offensive instincts than Letang. He reminds me of Gonchar so much.

So what do the Pens do? All are so talented that it would be hard to part with any of them. I think if I'd have to pick one to leave it would be Gonchar. He has the highest cap numbers and isn't getting any younger. The problem is that he has a no trade clause. I doubt he'd go.

Why make any changes at all? Gonchar will be gone after next season and I see no problem with having 3 offensive minded defensemen all under 28.
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pens15 on Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:58 pm

So what if Goligoski is the only guy that doesn't have to go through waivers? Are we trying to put the best team on the ice or not?

I'd waive Boucher or Eaton, and possibly be rid of them, before I would send down a guy who is our top scoring defenseman and not any worse then them defensively.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:25 pm

Byt the time Gonchar is back Gogo will be close to going through his waiver exepmtions but there will also be no roster limit. Depending on the team we play I could see rotating Gill and Gogo with Scuds as the 3rd pair. Hopefully Eaton and Boucher will never sniff ice time come May.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins