Who likes what they see from Malkin so far?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: working...still have not seen E Malkin

Postby penny lane on Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:22 pm

netwolf wrote:
penny lane wrote:Will have to wait for the games over the weekend if the Russians
are being shown. :? Didn't see Sidney till he was full-fledge
penguin & that's working well.

nice to hear Kovy is the captain of the Russians.

Get up early tomorrow. I believe Russia-Kazahkstan starts at 5am Saturday morning. :)

with coffee, might just do that! will this game be like Ottawa/Pens?
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Malkin

Postby gregill96 on Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:54 pm

I think there are a few reasons why Malkin is not playing with Ovechkin and Afinigenov. Someone already has mentioned experience which Malkin lacks at the highest level. Another reason is to reduce his overall ice time. If he plays on the third line he can also play power-play and shorthanded without wearing himself out completely. I think it was definitely noticeable that he had a lot of jump in his game against the Swedes.
On a side note, has anyone found complete box scores for the games? I would like to see player ice-time just out of curiousity. I know nbcolympics.com has some detail but no ice-time.
gregill96

Re: Malkin

Postby wondermoose on Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:00 pm

gregill96 wrote:Another reason is to reduce his overall ice time. If he plays on the third line he can also play power-play and shorthanded without wearing himself out completely. I think it was definitely noticeable that he had a lot of jump in his game against the Swedes.

He's 19. These young rookies could play 25 minutes without much of a problem if they needed to. Let him loose in my opinion. Kasparitus said Malkin was the best player on the ice in yesterday's game in an article on ESPN.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby gregill96 on Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:18 pm

He could play 25 minutes but Malkin has already represented Russia at WJ tournament this season and played 40+ Super league games. They were concerned about him burning out and almost held him back from the WJ. He's a key player but this team is stacked and there's no need for him to play such high minutes. Yashin is not too bad.
gregill96

Postby rananda on Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:20 pm

wondermoose wrote:
gregill96 wrote:Another reason is to reduce his overall ice time. If he plays on the third line he can also play power-play and shorthanded without wearing himself out completely. I think it was definitely noticeable that he had a lot of jump in his game against the Swedes.

He's 19. These young rookies could play 25 minutes without much of a problem if they needed to. Let him loose in my opinion. Kasparitus said Malkin was the best player on the ice in yesterday's game in an article on ESPN.

there are not really numbered lines on the russian team. all of the lines get rotated pretty evenly at even strength, kozlov's line is the only that doesnt get pp time, and yashin's is the only line that doesnt get pk. basically all of the lines are treated equally, for better or worse.

malkin is playing w those scrubs, ostensibly, becasue they played together at the rosno cup and allegedly have chemistry.

basically though, he's playing with them because the coach is an idiot. the problem is the coach loves kharitonov and sushinsky together because they play together for him in dynamo. it's a terrible mistake. ovechkin - malkin - sushinksy would eat up every team's 2nd pair of d. it's sad karitonov isnt big or skilled enough to take advantage of malkin's brilliance. it's sad, ovechkin and malkin are very good together.
rananda

Postby gregill96 on Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:39 pm

I don't think they are quite scrubs but obviously less talented players. I haven't seen anything that would make me think the coach is an idiot. He favors players from Dynamo which is a mistake. The trio did play together at Rosno like you mentioned and did pretty well. I do agree with you that at least Ovechkin should be on Malkin's line.
My opinion is that it was a mistake not to bring Brylin or Zherdev to the tournament instead of Kozlov and Kharitonov/Afinegenov. In the long run you need defensive forwards to shut down the opposition, especially for Russia who has questionable defense. Anyway, that's Bure's decision.
gregill96

Malkin's a beast

Postby 25+66+22=#1 on Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:55 pm

absolutely love him, he's not paired with the upper esche players, but has really excelled at the pk (very aggressive) , looks good on the pp, and carries the play even strength. He may be immature and perhaps cocky (verdict still out) but he works his ass off on the ice and want's to win. Our pk could turn from a weakness to a strength with him very fast.
25+66+22=#1
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby skullman80 on Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:28 pm

Malkin to me at this point looks like a faster Ronnie Francis with also a slightly better shot.

No shame in that comparison. Kid is fun to watch, and is a beast on the PK so far from what I have seen in the olympics.

Very fluid skater, makes things so effortless.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DanThePensFan on Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:24 am

rananda wrote:there are not really numbered lines on the russian team. all of the lines get rotated pretty evenly at even strength, kozlov's line is the only that doesnt get pp time, and yashin's is the only line that doesnt get pk. basically all of the lines are treated equally, for better or worse.

malkin is playing w those scrubs, ostensibly, becasue they played together at the rosno cup and allegedly have chemistry.

basically though, he's playing with them because the coach is an idiot. the problem is the coach loves kharitonov and sushinsky together because they play together for him in dynamo. it's a terrible mistake. ovechkin - malkin - sushinksy would eat up every team's 2nd pair of d. it's sad karitonov isnt big or skilled enough to take advantage of malkin's brilliance. it's sad, ovechkin and malkin are very good together.

This guy used "ostensibly"... I agree with him.

:D

Seriously, he makes a great point -- there's really no "#1 line" on this Russian team, and that's exactly how it should be with that much talent on the bench.

They'll be fine. If they're beating Sweden 5-0 with Ovechkin and Malkin playing on different lines, there's not much more you can ask... I'm sure if they ever hit a rough patch and get down in a game, putting the two kids together will give them a spark.

Plenty of hockey yet.
DanThePensFan

Postby NIN on Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:45 am

Malkin has a wicked slapshot.
NIN

Postby gregill96 on Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:24 am

They do rotate lines more than NHL teams but there's definitely a number one line and it's Kovalchuk, Datsyuk, Kovalev. This morning Russia had much trouble beating Kazakhstan's goalie but dominated the game overall. Malkin had a monster hit in the first period and got a penalty for no reason. Even the announcers could not believe the penalty was called on the play. He should have scored a goal on a couple of chances but in the end it was his line that got the only goal of the game.
The potential transfer of Malkin to the Pens next season was discussed during the broadcast. The outlook is not as bright as we would all like. He still has two years remaining on a contract without an "NHL clause". Hopefully, the NHL can work out an agreement with the Russian HF.
gregill96

Postby NIN on Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:38 am

gregill96 wrote: Malkin had a monster hit in the first period and got a penalty for no reason.

That hit was a monster and it says alot about Malkins game. First of all he just made a horrible pass to a guy who may have fooled Malkin by calling for the puck! Malkins winger had actually gone to the net but Malkin bought it and it was easily interecpted. The guy Malkin hit was the same guy who fooled him and he absolutely DESTROYED HIM!

Secondly, to make that hit happen and to make it as punishing as he did, you have to be a great skater. Malkin reached top speed in one and a half strides and had him lined up while gliding.

Lastly the hit was clean and it looks like we wont have to worry about Malkin being a Forsberg type when it comes to injuries because he really knows how to play the physical game. His arm was compacted into his side thus avoiding any potential shoulder damage.
NIN

Postby rananda on Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:27 pm

malkin was the best forward on the ice for either team. kharitonov scored the lone goal but also gave away the puck 3 times off malkin passes. makes you wonder what ovechkin would have done with those passes. malkin is just a beast, he does it at all. he is one of the best players in the world right now. i dont know how he could get much better, but if he improves anywhere near the rate he has the last couple years, he will be really scary.
rananda

Postby NIN on Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:36 pm

rananda wrote:malkin was the best forward on the ice for either team. kharitonov scored the lone goal but also gave away the puck 3 times off malkin passes. makes you wonder what ovechkin would have done with those passes. malkin is just a beast, he does it at all. he is one of the best players in the world right now. i dont know how he could get much better, but if he improves anywhere near the rate he has the last couple years, he will be really scary.

The Ovechkin/Malkin/Afiniginov line played very well for the 4 or 5 shifts they shared. Not a ton of offense but with that much speed it would have only been a matter of time before they cashed in. The only reason why Malkin is centering a 3rd line is because Yashin is so bad at checking and Malkin is so good at it.
NIN

Postby netwolf on Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:25 pm

To see Malkin do the things he's done so far in the Olympics, with and against the other guys on the ice, and in the role he's been given, is inredibly impressive. Factor in that he's only 19 and the sky would appear to be the limit for him. He's already a very complete player and you don't see that in teenage kids very often.

If he still wants to come over this fall as he's said, the Penguins HAVE to find a way to get it done.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DanThePensFan on Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:37 pm

Did anyone else hear the announcers say that CRAIG PATRICK told them he's committed to Magnitogorsk until 2007-2008 (I think)?

Was this a benign comment (like the usual response soccer players give to transfer rumors -- "I have a contract until 20xx and I'm committed to my team") or was this an admission that he doesn't think he'll be able to get Malkin here next season?
DanThePensFan

Postby netwolf on Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:46 pm

DanThePensFan wrote:Did anyone else hear the announcers say that CRAIG PATRICK told them he's committed to Magnitogorsk until 2007-2008 (I think)?

Was this a benign comment (like the usual response soccer players give to transfer rumors -- "I have a contract until 20xx and I'm committed to my team") or was this an admission that he doesn't think he'll be able to get Malkin here next season?

I think it was just a statment of fact, nothing more or less. Malkin has a contract with Magnitogorsk for 2 more seasons. Malkin has said that in the past and has said the Russian team will not stand in his way if he wants to go to the NHL.

I'm guessing the Russian team would qualify that by adding a "for the right price." to that statement though.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NIN on Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:50 pm

DanThePensFan wrote:Did anyone else hear the announcers say that CRAIG PATRICK told them he's committed to Magnitogorsk until 2007-2008 (I think)?

I think they were just restateing the facts for those that might not be aware of the possibility that Malkin may not play in the NHL next season because there is not an IHHL agreement in place at this time.

If Malkin really wants to play in the NHL next season then it is just a matter of how much money they will hustle out of the Penguins. Without an IHHF agreement the Russian club has a TON of haggleing leverage and it is just a matter of how greedy/realisitc will they be as opposed to how much the Pens can afford or are willing to pay.

Season ticket sales hing on Malkin's availability to play next season and the sooner they get it figured out the better. Without Malkin or at least one signifficant free agent the Pens might have a severe dropoff in attendence.
NIN

I heard...there's goes E Malkin for 06-07 in PGH.

Postby penny lane on Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:50 pm

Did Craig Patrick tell people in Pittsburgh this? Sounded like only
money will get E Malkin in Pittsburgh sooner. Maybe AO & Ilya
can do penguins a favor by talking up the NHL.

E Malkin's play was worth getting up on saturday. Creme' Brulee'
coffee helped too. Well besides seeing Ray Ferraro & Bill Clement. :lol:

I knew no besides N Antropov on the team Russia played. Kovy needs to get his team to practice PP.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Draftnik on Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:57 pm

CP won't be the GM trying to get him here for the 06/07 season. I'd expect Magnitogorsk to take a hard line with the Pens since Russia didn't sign the transfer agreement. The contract duration isn't new news. Magnitogorsk was upset last year in the RSL playoffs so there was a big push on for them to win a title this season and Malkin wanted to be a part of it. They are opening up a new arena next season which could be another reason for him to stay in Russia. Some Russian officials went on record as saying the reason they didn't sign the NHL-IIHF transfer agreement was because they wanted $2M-$3M transfer fees for guys like Ovechkin and Malkin, so maybe the Pens could buy his contract out. On the other hand the NHL may not want their teams undermining the sweetheart deal they have on international transfers with other nations, so who knows.

Some hockey media that know IMG/Pat Brisson (his agents) say Magnitogorsk has shown no indication they are willing to let Malkin go early. Some other hockey media that know his Magnitogorsk coach (Dave King) say that Malkin will be in the NHL for the 06/07 season. The bottom line is nobody knows anything for sure right now.

What is certain is that Malkin plays an incredibly complete game. He showed just about every possible hockey skill today with the exception of finishing a scoring chance. Hopefully he buries a few tomorrow and doesn't wait until Tuesday to score his first Olympic goal. He has improved dramatically IMO from how he looked in May at the WC and that says a lot because he looked very good then.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NIN on Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:03 pm

Draftnik wrote:On the other hand the NHL may not want their teams undermining the sweetheart deal they have on international transfers with other nations, so who knows.

Good point but I think the NHL will have to consider how much revenue they will lose at the gates if Malkin is not in the NHL next season. Fans want to see him and as I mentioned above, season ticket sales will hinge on his availibility.
NIN

Postby Draftnik on Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:12 pm

NIN wrote:
Draftnik wrote:On the other hand the NHL may not want their teams undermining the sweetheart deal they have on international transfers with other nations, so who knows.

Good point but I think the NHL will have to consider how much revenue they will lose at the gates if Malkin is not in the NHL next season. Fans want to see him and as I mentioned above, season ticket sales will hinge on his availibility.

I doubt if Malkin will sell tickets. Jagr didn't. Ovechkin doesn't (2 Caps sellouts all season). Gretzky, Lemieux, and Crosby are the only guys to do it in recent memory.

Beyond that the NHL would take a long term view on something like this. They don't care about Malkin per se, they care about the scores of international transfers every season. If the NHL and their teams have to individually negotiate transfers for every player their legal fees and transfer fees will increase dramatically from now until the end of time. That would easily surpass any unlikely short term bump Malkin might generate in Pens ticket sales.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NIN on Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:31 pm

Draftnik wrote:
NIN wrote:

I doubt if Malkin will sell tickets. Jagr didn't. Ovechkin doesn't (2 Caps sellouts all season). Gretzky, Lemieux, and Crosby are the only guys to do it in recent memory.

Beyond that the NHL would take a long term view on something like this. They don't care about Malkin per se, they care about the scores of international transfers every season. If the NHL and their teams have to individually negotiate transfers for every player their legal fees and transfer fees will increase dramatically from now until the end of time. That would easily surpass any unlikely short term bump Malkin might generate in Pens ticket sales.

As far as drawing seats around the league your right, Malkin isnt going to sell out arenas by himself. However do you think the NHL can turn there nose at ANY potential ticket sale? If Malkin draws 100 people a game and contributes to the buzz of hockey which is priceless as far as the league is concerned, he will be worth whatever cut the league is left out of. As for the Pens attendence, he will have a much larger impact then 100 or so fans.

If Russia chooses not to participate in the IHHL agreement all summer long , just like last summer. Then the Pens can't market Malkin and it will hurt season ticket sales bigtime. If they still don't have one in place and training camp begins then the league will step aside if they know what is best for them. The NHL can't turn their nose at players like Malkin, they league is very very weak financially and they desperately need to do everything possible to expand the fan base. If Malkin wanted to, he would be in the NHL right now and his Russian club would have collected a nice chunk of change and the NHL would not have received one red cent of it. Same goes for next season. The Russians would agree to the IHHL after they get their Malkin money and the NHLs longterm relation would be restored. They are not going to make the same mistake they did with Ovechkin but I doubt they will force Malkin to stick around against his will.

It's really up to him.
NIN

Postby NIN on Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:43 pm

Draftnik wrote:
NIN wrote:

Furthermore, lets be serious about why this is even happening. It isnt for the scores of other players its about Malkin. The only reason why the Russians chose not to agree with the IHHF (which pays condsiderably well for players of FAR less talent then Ovechkin/Malkin) is for the WJC and the Olympics. After that it doesnt make much sense for them not to agree, but it is possible that they wont just so they could get a couple extra million for Malkin. I doubt it would come to that but it is a very real possibility.
NIN

Postby Draftnik on Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:52 pm

NIN wrote:If Russia chooses not to participate in the IHHL agreement all summer long , just like last summer. Then the Pens can't market Malkin and it will hurt season ticket sales bigtime. If they still don't have one in place and training camp begins then the league will step aside if they know what is best for them. The NHL can't turn their nose at players like Malkin, they league is very very weak financially and they desperately need to do everything possible to expand the fan base. If Malkin wanted to, he would be in the NHL right now and his Russian club would have collected a nice chunk of change and the NHL would not have received one red cent of it. Same goes for next season. The Russians would agree to the IHHL after they get their Malkin money and the NHLs longterm relation would be restored. They are not going to make the same mistake they did with Ovechkin but I doubt they will force Malkin to stick around against his will. It's really up to him.

If Malkin left without Magnitigorsk's blessing this would go to court. Ovechkin's Russian club (Dynamo?) took the Caps to court and lost because they tried to selectively interpret which clauses in is Russian contract they would honor. He signed a contract with an escape clause with another Russian club (Avangard Omsk?sp?), Dynamo got that contract, but said they didn't have to honor the escape clause. They lost the case. The Caps tool Alex Semin to court because he skipped out on his Caps contract to play in Russia under some type of military service pretense. The Caps won the case, but are having trouble enforcing the decision. I don't think the NHL would take Malkin if he defected on a valid contract. He probably would be ruled ineligible by the courts and it defeats the whole point of working amicably with the IIHF on player transfers.

I believe Malkin is from Magnitigorsk, he's been in their hockey academy since he was a young teenager, they gave his family a summer home, he talked about playing for them in the Spengler Cup next season... It seems unlikely this local hero would would get into a dispute with the club and he has no legal recourse to leave them without their blessing until after the 07/08 season.
Draftnik
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins