Pens sign Staal to a 4 year deal!!!

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Pens sign Staal to a 4 year deal!!!

Postby Pitts on Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:21 pm

At least Brian Burke can not steal him from us. Now, he will actually have to give up something of real value!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,727
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Pens sign Staal to a 4 year deal!!!

Postby Matthew Monstar on Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:21 pm

So lets delay winning a cup and having an immediate change at success because young staal is only 20. He set the tone for himself during his rookie year. Last year was a bum year.....He is not confident with the puck, Clueless what to do and his faceoff skills dont impress me.

Maybe 16 million will make him play like he cares.
Matthew Monstar
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,071
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:38 pm
Location: oHIo

Re: Pens sign Staal to a 4 year deal!!!

Postby DocEmrick on Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:21 pm

Why, God? Why?
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,388
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:33 pm
Location: 39°6′32″N 76°46′17″W

Re: Pens sign Staal to a 4 year deal!!!

Postby wm0712 on Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:21 pm

he's on pace to match his career high in points, and he'll only get better... i think in 2 years (if he's still here) this will be a good deal for the pens
wm0712
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,066
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:37 pm

Re: Pens sign Staal to a 4 year deal!!!

Postby darkstar57 on Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:22 pm

wm0712 wrote:staal would've gotten more than that in an offer sheet


Are you kidding me, have you been watching the last couple of offseasons. Someone would have thrown a 5-7 year deal at him worth at least 5 million a year, maybe more.
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,955
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:13 pm
Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Re: Pens sign Staal to a 4 year deal!!!

Postby Kicksave on Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:22 pm

Jordan Staal will never be the type of player that Vinny Lecavalier or Joe Thornton.

However, he could definitely turn into a Keith Primeau type player.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,572
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:53 am
Location: Feeling like I want to rage...right now.

Re: Pens sign Staal to a 4 year deal!!!

Postby Doogs on Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:22 pm

The money is supposedly.. 3.5, 3.5, 4.5, 4.5. = 16 mil.
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,939
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:29 pm
Location: Wexford

Re: Pens sign Staal to a 4 year deal!!!

Postby littlemoonboot on Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:23 pm

Well then. That settles that.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,461
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:04 pm
Location: @burgyhockey

Re: Pens sign Staal to a 4 year deal!!!

Postby Kicksave on Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:23 pm

I can't wait to see what kovymann says about this. :pop:
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,572
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:53 am
Location: Feeling like I want to rage...right now.

Re: Pens sign Staal to a 4 year deal!!!

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:23 pm

Defence21 wrote:
Jesse wrote:The dude is 20. That's all I'm saying.

I posted this in a comment over at FF:

PLAYER A
Season 1, age 18: 82 GP, 13 G, 15 A, 28 Pts, -19
Season 2, age 19: 80 GP, 25 G, 42 A, 67 Pts, -25
Season 3, age 20: 68 GP, 23 G, 28 A, 51 Pts, -26
First 29-goal season: year 5, age 22

PLAYER B
Season 1, age 18: 55 GP, 3 G, 4 A, 7 Pts, -6
Season 2, age 19: 81 GP, 16 G, 25 A, 41 Pts, +3
Season 3, age 20: 81 GP, 23 G, 37 A, 60 Pts, -5
First 29-goal season: year 4, age 21

STAAL
Season 1, age 18: 81 GP, 29 G, 13 A, 42 Pts, +16
Season 2, age 19: 82 GP, 12 G, 16 A, 28 Pts, -5
Season 3, age 20: 41 GP, 11 G, 10 A, 21 Pts, -5

Player A is Vinny Lecavalier. Player B is Joe Thornton. Is Staal really that far off?

It's kind of ridiculous when people look at a 20-year-old and act as if he is a finished product. 95% of players his age are, at the very best, in their first year of professional hockey. Many others are still in college or juniors. Staal already has a 29-goal season under his belt. And, before anyone discounts it -- IT HAPPENED. It proves he can...he just needs to develop into that type of player consistently.


i dunno...those numbers look pretty far off. and i wouldn't even use those guys as a comparison. apples and oranges style-wise.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,929
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Pens sign Staal to a 4 year deal!!!

Postby maudineormsby on Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:24 pm

Doogs wrote:The money is supposedly.. 3.5, 3.5, 4.5, 4.5. = 16 mil.


That makes me feel a little better... but we've got a LOT of money tied into a few players now...

No room for Hossa this offseason now... :pop:
maudineormsby
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,706
Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:19 pm
Location: Walnut Creek, CA

Re: Pens sign Staal to a 4 year deal!!!

Postby Liverlips on Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:24 pm

MrBrightside wrote:To those who think this makes Staal more tradeable, please point to one time in any major professional sport that someone was re-signed ni midseason to a lengthy deal and then dealt before the season ended? One. Any. One.



The NBA's CBA allows sign-and-trade, so this happens with some frequency in that league. I dont know about NHL CBA nor can I recall it happening in recent past. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sign_and_trade
Liverlips
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 581
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:02 am
Location: Gainesville, FL

Re: Pens sign Staal to a 4 year deal!!!

Postby Pitts on Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:24 pm

Three Stars wrote:Someone on hfboards says a TSN text message said 4 years, 16 million.

That would put him in line with the Dustin Brown's, Nathan Horton's of the NHL, so I would believe that.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,727
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Pens sign Staal to a 4 year deal!!!

Postby Matthew Monstar on Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:25 pm

wm0712 wrote:he's on pace to match his career high in points, and he'll only get better... i think in 2 years (if he's still here) this will be a good deal for the pens

Too bad most of his points came in like 2-3 games.

Its the consistency that makes me puke at the signing RIGHT now

Sidney needs a real winger and with Fedotenko and Dupuis hurt.... I just dont know whats going on with management anymore.
Matthew Monstar
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,071
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:38 pm
Location: oHIo

Re: Pens sign Staal to a 4 year deal!!!

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:25 pm

maudineormsby wrote:
Doogs wrote:The money is supposedly.. 3.5, 3.5, 4.5, 4.5. = 16 mil.


That makes me feel a little better...


why?

salary cap-wise it's inconsequential and best case is a front-loaded deal because it makes him more tradeable late in the contract
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,929
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Pens sign Staal to a 4 year deal!!!

Postby wm0712 on Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:26 pm

darkstar57 wrote:
wm0712 wrote:staal would've gotten more than that in an offer sheet


Are you kidding me, have you been watching the last couple of offseasons. Someone would have thrown a 5-7 year deal at him worth at least 5 million a year, maybe more.


did you even read what i wrote?
wm0712
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,066
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:37 pm

Re: Pens sign Staal to a 4 year deal!!!

Postby Kicksave on Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:26 pm

:pop:

Bring it, Staal haters.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 20,572
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:53 am
Location: Feeling like I want to rage...right now.

Re: Pens sign Staal to a 4 year deal!!!

Postby The U on Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:26 pm

Kicksave wrote:Jordan Staal will never be the type of player that Vinny Lecavalier or Joe Thornton.

However, he could definitely turn into a Keith Primeau type player.



you mean Wayne Primeau :)
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,522
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:34 pm

Re: Pens sign Staal to a 4 year deal!!!

Postby Defence21 on Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:26 pm

shmenguin wrote:
Defence21 wrote:
Jesse wrote:The dude is 20. That's all I'm saying.

I posted this in a comment over at FF:

PLAYER A
Season 1, age 18: 82 GP, 13 G, 15 A, 28 Pts, -19
Season 2, age 19: 80 GP, 25 G, 42 A, 67 Pts, -25
Season 3, age 20: 68 GP, 23 G, 28 A, 51 Pts, -26
First 29-goal season: year 5, age 22

PLAYER B
Season 1, age 18: 55 GP, 3 G, 4 A, 7 Pts, -6
Season 2, age 19: 81 GP, 16 G, 25 A, 41 Pts, +3
Season 3, age 20: 81 GP, 23 G, 37 A, 60 Pts, -5
First 29-goal season: year 4, age 21

STAAL
Season 1, age 18: 81 GP, 29 G, 13 A, 42 Pts, +16
Season 2, age 19: 82 GP, 12 G, 16 A, 28 Pts, -5
Season 3, age 20: 41 GP, 11 G, 10 A, 21 Pts, -5

Player A is Vinny Lecavalier. Player B is Joe Thornton. Is Staal really that far off?

It's kind of ridiculous when people look at a 20-year-old and act as if he is a finished product. 95% of players his age are, at the very best, in their first year of professional hockey. Many others are still in college or juniors. Staal already has a 29-goal season under his belt. And, before anyone discounts it -- IT HAPPENED. It proves he can...he just needs to develop into that type of player consistently.


i dunno...those numbers look pretty far off. and i wouldn't even use those guys as a comparison. apples and oranges style-wise.

Really? Do the math:

Lecavalier had 146 points and was -70 in his first three seasons

Thornton had 108 points and was -8 in his first three seasons.

So far, Staal has amassed 91 points and is +6 in his first 2 1/2 seasons, with 41 more games to go.

And the idea is to show that those guys took time to develop. Staal is more of a power forward, a type of player that takes even longer to develop. It's absolutely 100% ridiculous the way people act as if Staal has plateaued and is what he will be next year or three years down the line.
Last edited by Defence21 on Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,850
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:01 pm
Location: Johnstown, PA

Re: Pens sign Staal to a 4 year deal!!!

Postby superconan on Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:26 pm

Defence21 wrote:Player A is Vinny Lecavalier. Player B is Joe Thornton. Is Staal really that far off?


Does it matter that I would take Staal over Thornton now in the play-offs?
superconan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,492
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:18 am
Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: Pens sign Staal to a 4 year deal!!!

Postby stopper40 on Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:26 pm

Too much for a 3rd line center
stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,769
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:51 am
Location: BANNED for liking Butterfingers

Re: Pens sign Staal to a 4 year deal!!!

Postby Pitts on Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:26 pm

Kicksave wrote:I can't wait to see what kovymann says about this. :pop:

He only comes out at night.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,727
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: Pens sign Staal to a 4 year deal!!!

Postby Mang-nang on Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:26 pm

Newf wrote:
Mang-nang wrote:
Jesse wrote:The dude is 20. That's all I'm saying.


Exactly.


No matter how old he is he does not warrant a 4 year 16 million dollar contract with the way he is currently playing/did play so far in three seasons.


I would disagree. It is how the NHL player salary landscape currently works. Maybe half of a young players second contract is based on performance alone (and not JUST numbers), and the other half is based on POTENTIAL :D
Mang-nang
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:33 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: Pens sign Staal to a 4 year deal!!!

Postby Mad City Mike on Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:26 pm

Doogs wrote:The money is supposedly.. 3.5, 3.5, 4.5, 4.5. = 16 mil.


Wow, that's just what I would have guessed. A $4 mil a year cap hit through 2013. Coincidentally or not, that is the exact same cap hit as Nathan Horton. But can it be coincidence that they signed him right after they played Florida??? I think not. Let the rumors begin anew.
Last edited by Mad City Mike on Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mad City Mike
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,791
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:14 am
Location: De Forest, WI

Re: Pens sign Staal to a 4 year deal!!!

Postby Bob McKenzie on Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:27 pm

usahockeyteam1980 wrote:According to TSN, it was worth $16 million over four years:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=262415&lid= ... Story_main


I have been a supporter of Staal and I'm disappointed he got $4 million. He hasn't earned it yet. I figured in the $3m or $3.5m (tops) range.

If you're paying him that kind of money, forget this 3rd line center crap and put him on Sid's wing (live or die).
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,975
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 11:07 am
Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


e-mail