5-Oct-06 Official Pens vs Flyers Game Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby NIN on Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:44 pm

Peter wrote:I was there. I want my dapp.

hey were there alot of empty seats? it looked alittle vacant on TV.
NIN

Postby NIN on Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:48 pm

WOW Therrian is gitty. Fun to watch but he better not lose his "focus". :D
NIN

Postby yeltzen on Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:53 pm

I was there. All I have to say is, "holy crap, man."
yeltzen

Postby careyz8 on Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:04 pm

if i heard correctly, we blocked 20 or so shots tonight, according to FSN. Ruutu seemed like he blocked a dozen himself. yeah, its only one game, but i believe if we can play this defensively sound all season, it can get pretty exciting during the last quarter of the season.
careyz8
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby André on Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:04 pm

Awesome game, that was a team out there!

Fleury, Moore, Ruutu and Crosby with great games :)

NIN: Come on, Malone will be fine as Malkin's wing. Though I admit putting Quellete there just got tempting :P

F the Flyers! The Flyers suck!

Good night =)
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby NIN on Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:08 pm

Deas wrote:Awesome game, that was a team out there!

NIN: Come on, Malone will be fine as Malkin's wing. Though I admit putting Quellete there just got tempting :P

Good night =)

congrats on the game thread and yeah Malkin will do alot to cover for Malone's liabilities, which are many.
NIN

Postby magnum on Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:09 pm

Deas wrote:Awesome game, that was a team out there!

Good night =)

congrats as well on the GDT... but i took credit if the pens won, so me posting for the 1st time in a GDT here was the deciding factor :wink: :lol: :lol:
magnum
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:19 pm

Does this mean ALL game threads need to be strated the morning of the game? Shoule I go start the ings game thread now? :D
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kicksave on Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:24 pm

DelPen wrote:Does this mean ALL game threads need to be strated the morning of the game? Shoule I go start the ings game thread now? :D

Too late, I already posted it yesterday.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby lauren on Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:30 pm

Honestly, that was the one of the best games EVER....$20 got me seats in A30, and I made it on the jumbotron twice........not to mention the pens spanked the cryers.......FABULOUS
lauren

Postby Corban87 on Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:40 pm

lauren wrote:Honestly, that was the one of the best games EVER....$20 got me seats in A30, and I made it on the jumbotron twice........not to mention the pens spanked the cryers.......FABULOUS

Priceless!!! :D
Corban87

Postby Fast B on Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:07 am

I was at the game too, and all I have to say is...

Go home Fly-ers!
*clap clap clap clap clap*
Go home Fly-ers!
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby yeltzen on Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:09 am

Fast B wrote:I was at the game too, and all I have to say is...

Go home Fly-ers!
Go home Fly-ers!

lol I loved the crowd energy... but the "na na na na na na na na hey hey goodbye" was a little much.
Guys, it's the first game... of the SEASON, not the Cup finals!

Seriously, though, great showing by the crowd. It's easy when they win, but still. Very loud, very into it.
yeltzen

Postby yeltzen on Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:39 am

ziggystardust wrote:
Ron` wrote:Ziggy, that was GONCHAR on the PK clearing the zone.....

Don't care. he was worse than Whitney and Letang tonight.... and that says a lot.

Gonch couldnt play defense in Junior A

Actually, I think he can play defense in the NHL.
yeltzen

Postby yeltzen on Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:41 am

LOL at the Flyers thread... I love the "I can't wait until Crosby's season is ended by a knee-on-knee hit". What class.
yeltzen

Postby yeltzen on Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:05 am

ziggystardust wrote:
mjg wrote:"Melichar is an offensive force tonight" You don't hear that every night.

You'll never hear it again, but that doesnt mean he isnt worthy of being a #4 defenseman on any team in the league.

He was perfect defensively, once again, tonight.

Do you just say stuff to hear yourself talk, or what? Joe was very good tonight, but by no means perfect. There were a few times he could have stepped up and made contact to shut down a rush, but instead let the guy carry the puck down low and set up a cycle. I would also love for you to find clips of this so-called "terrible" defensive play by Whitney. I think Whitney has been abysmal in the preseason, but to say he was "terrible" tonight is just ridiculous.
yeltzen

Postby yeltzen on Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:07 am

ziggystardust wrote:Thats complete bullcrap.
Positionally, hes not worthy of being called an AHL defenseman.

And yet, he's being paid $5 million a year to play defense in the NHL. Sorry, but I'll trust the judgement of people who actually assess talent in the NHL over you.
yeltzen

Postby yeltzen on Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:13 am

ziggystardust wrote:I don't need to prove a thing to this board. I've made more correct predictions, and shed more insight to defensive hockey than anyone else who posts here. If my word isn't good enough for you, you aren't worth my time.

What "insight" have you shed aside from "Melichar plays perfect" and "everyone else is terrible and isn't worthy of the NHL"?

Whitney was +3 with 2 hits and 2 shots. What the hell else would you like the guy to do?
yeltzen

Postby Three Stars on Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:15 am

ziggystardust wrote:I don't need to prove a thing to this board. I've made more correct predictions, and shed more insight to defensive hockey than anyone else who posts here. If my word isn't good enough for you, you aren't worth my time.

http://www.angelfire.com/film/tsss/ss/smrt.WAV :roll:
Three Stars
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby yeltzen on Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:16 am

ziggystardust wrote:AND WHAT A WISE SIGNING THAT WAS!

CRAIG PATRICK REALLY STRUCK GOLD WITH THAT ONE!

It is a wise signing, assuming you take the necessary action and get a proven, shut-down defenseman who will cover up for his mistakes. It's not Gonchar's fault that CP decided to also have Ric Jackman, Dick Tarnstrom, and a couple of over-the-hill D-men on the squad.
yeltzen

Postby yeltzen on Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:18 am

ziggystardust wrote:If you're going to Call To Authority, why not use Kevin Lowe as your authority?
His primary focus is on solid positional play. Unlike Craig Patrick, he would NEVER make someone like Gonchar his number one defenseman... and unlike Craig Patrick he will contend for a cup, once again, in the near future.

Right, because, had the Pens not signed Gonchar, NO OTHER TEAM IN THE NHL WOULD HAVE. They would have said, "he doesn't play sound positional defense, let's pass". Maybe they wouldn't have paid him $5 million, but there would have been plenty of teams willing to add him to their squad.
yeltzen

Postby netwolf on Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:23 am

ziggystardust wrote:I don't care about Whitney's stats. He still looks lost.

So in other words, stats are only valid when they support your point? :lol:

I have been more critical of Whitney since camp opened, but he was a different player tonight. He played a good game and what suprised me was that he threw some hits. :shock:
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby yeltzen on Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:24 am

ziggystardust wrote:Then plenty of other teams would have made the same mistake Patrick did.

that doesnt prove a thing. Gonchar is probably worth $2M per, but not $5M. thats just insane.

Maybe in your world. Kieth Tkachuk and Bobby Holik were getting paid $9 million a year before the "new" NHL. THAT is insane.
yeltzen

Postby yeltzen on Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:31 am

ziggystardust wrote:three ridiculous wrongs don't make a right.

This is the NHL.
Defensemen who can put up 4+ points on any given night like Gonchar can are at a premium, and will get paid for that, regardless of how much you whine.
yeltzen

Postby yeltzen on Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:46 am

ziggystardust wrote:right. You keep supporting the moves that make a last place team a last place team. I'll keep thinking for myself.

Signing Gonchar to a $5 million contract did not make this team a last place team. Signing Gonchar to a $5 million contract on a team that already had 2 or 3 offensive defensemen did. But just keep bashing him and Whitney and fostering your bizarre obsession with Joe Melichar. It works for you.
yeltzen

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins