Official Game Thread - Penguins vs. Islanders 10/19/06

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby NIN on Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:21 pm

Ron` wrote:
NIN wrote:
BurghThing wrote:
NIN wrote:
dman66 wrote:saturdays game is huge, they have to come out and play well

who are they playing?

Columbus

Oh yeah that should be a great game! I am terrified of Thibault starts however and I think he will get one.
I'm not afraid if Tbo starts, this is more of team than we ever have had in the last 5 years.....

:shock: Be afraid...be very afraid...
NIN

Postby louie on Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:21 pm

I think its a start for Fleury, maybe unless Norrena is starting for Columbus, but I think Saturday nights game, is a MUST win game to set a pace for the season. They need to steal as many points as they can from the west. With the Atlantic seemingly to be weak this year, at least right now, they have a chance to establish themselves and maybe try to snag that first spot in the division.
louie
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby yeltzen on Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:21 pm

Ron` wrote:Saturday is just another game, have to focus on each one and realize that sometimes you will not perform. Until the playoffs start, it's all about today and tomorrow. (this is not an endorsement to say the Pens will make the playoffs, it's about the grind of the season)

Realistically, they need to win the winnable game on Saturday and then the Devils game on Tuesday is a bonus.
yeltzen

Postby Brode on Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:22 pm

You have nothing to worry about on Saturday. I don't have to work and unless lady company or drunken frat brothers appear, we will win easily.
Brode

Postby Jesse on Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:23 pm

I'm never posting in another game thread.

On a side note, that Malkin is pretty good.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby NIN on Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:24 pm

Check out the icetime!

Crosby 24:05!!

Malkin 23:39!!

One thing is for sure, you will not hear either guy ***** about icetime.
NIN

Postby Brode on Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:24 pm

Does anyone get the feeling that we'll either be first in the Atlantic or out of the playoffs?
Brode

Postby Ben Klingston on Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:24 pm

DelPen wrote: I ran out of beer after Malkin scored last night, I took no chances and got a 12 pack for the game tonight :D

Lightweight. :P
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rychster on Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:25 pm

It's scary to think how good Malkin and Crosby will be together once they figure each other out. Plain scary! :D
Rychster
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:25 pm

dman66 wrote:
NIN wrote:

who are they playing?

columbus
should be a good test. they got a lot of fire power

I agree, Nash and Zherdev play a style that will cause our defense fits all night.

But looking at the numbers, they lost 3-2 in OT to Vancouver, beat Chicago 5-4, beat Phoenix 5-1 and then lost to Minnesota 5-0. They play the Leafs at home tomorrow and then come to Pittsburgh the next night.

If it's a shootout I'll take Fleury over Leclaire and Malkin and Crosby over Nash and Zherdev.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jesse on Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:26 pm

Brode wrote:Does anyone get the feeling that we'll either be first in the Atlantic or out of the playoffs?

No.

We just let the Islanders come back froma 2-0 deficit...
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Brode on Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:26 pm

Need Orpik back for Saturday. Nash has this fame of being a sniper, but he scores all his goals 2 feet from the net. We need Orpik to move him out of there, or for Scuderi to get some balls and do it.
Brode

Postby gruntov on Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:27 pm

Pens 2-0 ON THE ROAD! :D
gruntov

Postby Ron` on Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:27 pm

Brode wrote:And those people who talked about Whitney going to WBS must be feeling bad now. The kid sucks up minutes. 28 and change tonight, and in every area. He's got 26:19 on the year, and he's 13th in the league (before tonight). Same area as Pitkanen, Wideman and Phaneuf, but Whit's got much more short-handed minutes than them. He's just a stud.
Whitney is learning and that's important. He's no worse than the bulk of this D on D. He's getting the experience at the top level. It's the right thing to do if you want this guy to be the offensive player he's projected to be and be responsible in his own end.

Oprik should be scared, Whitney is showing him what is in store.. The heat is going to be on him. He has to respond the same way to the pressure this year when he comes back. Able to play major minutes, able to adjust to his mistakes and still be physical. He doesn't have to be an offensive force, just focus on being Brook and taking care of his end!
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rychster on Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:28 pm

Now for STL to win tonight.....
Rychster
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby NIN on Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:28 pm

Brode wrote:Does anyone get the feeling that we'll either be first in the Atlantic or out of the playoffs?

They are making progress. They are getting better. As the season unfolds we will see just how good other teams are and how bad other teams are. It depends not only on how well they play with the talent they have but how well other teams do. So far I stand by my 20th overall in the league prediction but if Shero can make a very smart trade that brings in an experianced goal scorer and a tough shot blocking defensmen they could go places.

Will Balsillie spend this season? Are the Penguins willing to trade their #1 or #2 draft picks? We will see....
NIN

Postby Brode on Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:28 pm

Jesse wrote:

No.

We just let the Islanders come back froma 2-0 deficit...

.... So... does that mean we'll be second in the Atlantic and in the playoffs? Actually read the entire sentence.
Brode

Postby DelPen on Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:28 pm

Ben Klingston wrote:
DelPen wrote: I ran out of beer after Malkin scored last night, I took no chances and got a 12 pack for the game tonight :D

Lightweight. :P

Hardly, it was a matter of supply, I had a mere 4 beer left from the weekend, should have bought more but I will not make the mistake again. :D
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Ron` on Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:30 pm

yeltzen wrote:
Ron` wrote:Saturday is just another game, have to focus on each one and realize that sometimes you will not perform. Until the playoffs start, it's all about today and tomorrow. (this is not an endorsement to say the Pens will make the playoffs, it's about the grind of the season)

Realistically, they need to win the winnable game on Saturday and then the Devils game on Tuesday is a bonus.
Agree, this is a winable game... but will not be a mail in at all. The Blue jackets are talented too, and if Fedorov comes back saturday...
Last edited by Ron` on Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby netwolf on Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:30 pm

When Michel Ouellet scores, the Pens win (3-0). :wink:
Last edited by netwolf on Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dman66 on Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:31 pm

DelPen wrote:
dman66 wrote:
NIN wrote:

who are they playing?

columbus
should be a good test. they got a lot of fire power

I agree, Nash and Zherdev play a style that will cause our defense fits all night.

But looking at the numbers, they lost 3-2 in OT to Vancouver, beat Chicago 5-4, beat Phoenix 5-1 and then lost to Minnesota 5-0. They play the Leafs at home tomorrow and then come to Pittsburgh the next night.

If it's a shootout I'll take Fleury over Leclaire and Malkin and Crosby over Nash and Zherdev.

it doesnt help that they destroyed us last year 6-0, too
dman66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby stopper40 on Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:32 pm

After watching tonight's game 2 things come to mind, i know I'll catch some flak for this one but I think Leclair has adapted well to his role playing on the 3rd/4th line.

And more importantly, WHY THE F*#@ IS RYAN MALONE EVEN PLAYING? He's giving guys who float or take the a game off from time to time a bad name, he's absolutley useless.
stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby dman66 on Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:34 pm

stopper40 wrote:After watching tonight's game 2 things come to mind, i know I'll catch some flak for this one but I think Leclair has adapted well to his role playing on the 3rd/4th line.

And more importantly, WHY THE F*#@ IS RYAN MALONE EVEN PLAYING? He's giving guys who float or take the a game off from time to time a bad name, he's absolutley useless.

i thought malone had his best game of the year. he looked awesome on the pk
dman66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Ron` on Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:35 pm

stopper40 wrote:After watching tonight's game 2 things come to mind, i know I'll catch some flak for this one but I think Leclair has adapted well to his role playing on the 3rd/4th line.

Stopper, I'm sorry because I looked for positives in Malone's game too tonight. I saw none and his time is likely limited in Pittsburgh unless he gets his self jacked up real quick.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jesse on Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:36 pm

Brode, my statements were unrelated.

I said no to your question, then stated that we just let the islanders come back as a seperate thought. I coulda been clearer there.

I read your entire sentence..
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins