Wow what a story, this guy's night out with the Pens

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Wow what a story, this guy's night out with the Pens

Postby flame on Wed May 27, 2009 3:16 pm

yeah that is kinda strange about the camera.. i didnt even really think about it as i was kinda skimming fast over the first details. id still be shocked someone would spend that much time making up a story like that with all those details though but you are right anything is possible. could be fake but seems like a really believable story
flame
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Bob McKenzie on Wed May 27, 2009 3:22 pm

There are some credible things about the story and some other things that really make you wonder (the camera thing has me baffled since 99% of cell phones have a camera now).

On the credible side for obscure facts, the Pens do love going to sushi places and often go to them. Those guys are always at Umi's in Shadyside.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby jimjom on Wed May 27, 2009 3:23 pm

Bob, also Nakama in South Side, which is right near Talbot's house.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby llipgh2 on Wed May 27, 2009 3:24 pm

Bob McKenzie wrote:There are some credible things about the story and some other things that really make you wonder (the camera thing has me baffled since 99% of cell phones have a camera now).

On the credible side for obscure facts, the Pens do love going to sushi places and often go to them. Those guys are always at Umi's in Shadyside.

Not when I have been there. But if they were, I'd have taken a pic with my cell... :lol:
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Tico Rick on Wed May 27, 2009 3:25 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:
psubreno14 wrote:I can't decide if this is legit or not...

why didn't he get a camera at his apt?

I, for one, wouldn't have one at my apartment. Not everyone owns one. Why would someone make up a story this LONG and detailed. If he really wanted attention, he would have said a lot more about Crosby, he wouldn't have talked to Boucher so much, and I highly doubt he would have bothered mentioning Minard and Lovejoy joining them.

Agreed; people who lie don't make up such details.

Epic story.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Admin on Wed May 27, 2009 3:26 pm

Tico Rick wrote:Agreed; people who lie don't make up such details.

Epic story.

Good liars do.

Either way, it's a good story.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby shmenguin on Wed May 27, 2009 3:33 pm

yes. only bad story-tellers include that many details. a tad bit superfluous with the details, this guy is (see paragraph 2).
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Wed May 27, 2009 3:34 pm

shmenguin wrote:

yes. only bad story-tellers include that many details. a tad bit superfluous with the details, this guy is (see paragraph 2).

I was thinking the exact same thing.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Tico Rick on Wed May 27, 2009 3:35 pm

Admin wrote:

Epic story.

Good liars do.

Either way, it's a good story.

From a recent MSNBC story:

Liars often give short or one-word responses to questions, while truth tellers are more likely to flesh out their answers. According to a 2003 study by DePaulo, a liar provides fewer details and uses fewer words than an honest person, and talks for a smaller percentage of the conversation.

For a story that doesn't have anything really "sensational" in it, the guy provides a lot of detail. If he were lying, the only reason he'd make up so much detail would be to try to prove some sort of sensational story about one of the Penguins, and it would probably be about Crosby, who's hardly mentioned at all in the story.

Source:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30827544/
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed May 27, 2009 3:38 pm

Enjoyed reading, hopefully it was true. However I find it hard to believe without a camera.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Admin on Wed May 27, 2009 3:40 pm

Tico Rick wrote:From a recent MSNBC story:
Liars often give short or one-word responses to questions, while truth tellers are more likely to flesh out their answers. According to a 2003 study by DePaulo, a liar provides fewer details and uses fewer words than an honest person, and talks for a smaller percentage of the conversation.

That's a lie. :lol:
Admin
Site Admin

Postby czwalga on Wed May 27, 2009 3:44 pm

Everyone is harping on the camera phone thing. I have a camera on my phone and I can say i've never even used it. If I was in a situation like that I wouldnt even think of my camera phone. Most camera phones have absolutely garbage pictures.
czwalga
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Tico Rick on Wed May 27, 2009 3:46 pm

Admin wrote:
Tico Rick wrote:From a recent MSNBC story:

That's a lie. :lol:

That's a pretty short response. :lol: :lol:
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Psychlone on Wed May 27, 2009 3:47 pm

czwalga wrote:Everyone is harping on the camera phone thing. I have a camera on my phone and I can say i've never even used it. If I was in a situation like that I wouldnt even think of my camera phone. Most camera phones have absolutely garbage pictures.

Ditto, the picture quality on every camera phone I have ever owned has been terrible.
Psychlone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Spangler on Wed May 27, 2009 3:52 pm

That story was Epic.

Another thing about the camera phone. He may have been way to excited (which it looked like he was) to think of his camera phone. I know I probably would be.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The U on Wed May 27, 2009 3:55 pm

awesome story... i believe it
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby wild john on Wed May 27, 2009 3:55 pm

Psychlone wrote:
czwalga wrote:Everyone is harping on the camera phone thing. I have a camera on my phone and I can say i've never even used it. If I was in a situation like that I wouldnt even think of my camera phone. Most camera phones have absolutely garbage pictures.

Ditto, the picture quality on every camera phone I have ever owned has been terrible.

One more thing about the pic- he says that Max offers to get the guys to pose for a pic at the sushi place. That may have been the last time that such an opportunity existed- those guys don't like to get their pics taken when they are letting it rip. Those things wind up on the interweb and then you wind up doing community service in Wilkes Barre- or was that Dan Quinn.
I'm with the school that says "camera phones suck" and he might have just been going with the flow. I would.
wild john
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby TheHammer24 on Wed May 27, 2009 3:57 pm

I met Little Big Town at Bucca after they played at Station Square. I didn't think to use my camera phone.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby The U on Wed May 27, 2009 4:01 pm

wild john wrote:
Psychlone wrote:

One more thing about the pic- he says that Max offers to get the guys to pose for a pic at the sushi place. That may have been the last time that such an opportunity existed- those guys don't like to get their pics taken when they are letting it rip. Those things wind up on the interweb and then you wind up doing community service in Wilkes Barre- or was that Dan Quinn.
I'm with the school that says "camera phones suck" and he might have just been going with the flow. I would.

indeed. Hanging out with them as if you were "one of the guys" and then asking them to pose for pics at the bar like a FANBOY would totally kill the mood for all involved, no? Instead of chilling with these guys as their equal you'd totally screw up the whole "feel" of the night. You cant go from hanging out with these guys like you're best buddies to asking them to pose for pictures like you're a 13 year old autograph seeker.

The fact that this guy played it cool and came off as a "normal guy" and not a stalker or a guy who wanted a bunch of pics is probably the reason why he was invited to hang with them for the rest of the night.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Bob McKenzie on Wed May 27, 2009 4:09 pm

I agree with you on this to some extent. I sat next to Jerome Bettis on a flight a few years ago and have a great story from that and everyone asked me if I got a picture with him but I didn't have a camera on me.

The variable in the story that throws me off about the camera phone thing is that he was with his girlfriend. 99.999999999999% of women I know have a camera on their cell phone and would have taken a picture before he could've said "Hey." That photo would've been on facebook by now.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby KG on Wed May 27, 2009 4:11 pm

My Wife ran into Amy Roloff from Little People at the airport, she didn't take a picture with her cell phone...Although I think it's more because she is technologically brain dead, but you get the point...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ShipHockey7 on Wed May 27, 2009 4:12 pm

I once met a few Hershey Bears downtown Harrisburg and we went to a few bars together and what not, and as soon as people found out who they were they wanted to bolt because people all wanted pictures and stuff. So if you're making a huge deal in the middle of the bar, people will start looking and what not and realizing thats ok, and they might not be a huge fan
ShipHockey7
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby JeffDFD on Wed May 27, 2009 4:14 pm

I love reading this kind of stuff about hockey players. The behind the scenes of them making fun of each other, watching their own highlights and reading the internet. Only better when its a team you are attached to. Im surprised Crosby was out and not studying game film or rehearsing lines like "110%, work hard, get the W, etc." Hope its all true.
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby newarenanow on Wed May 27, 2009 4:23 pm

psubreno14 wrote:I can't decide if this is legit or not...

why didn't he get a camera at his apt?

Great story if true.

As for the camera, I didn't own or have one until I was married.

I just bought disposable ones when I went on vacation. There is a period from highschool when I was living at home until I was married where I don't think I have any pictures.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Daniel87 on Wed May 27, 2009 4:35 pm

I actually believe this story. It's not that far fetched at all imo. Off the ice all the Pens really do seem like ordinary people. Guys like Max and Tk could have easily met someone they like and want to hang out with for a night. Awesome read.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins