Wow what a story, this guy's night out with the Pens

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Wow what a story, this guy's night out with the Pens

Postby Kicksave on Wed May 27, 2009 4:36 pm

He's a liar.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Wed May 27, 2009 4:36 pm

That is totally awesome (if true). I also kind of doubt he would type such a huge piece just to get attention on the internet. That'd be kind of psychotic.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DocEmrick on Wed May 27, 2009 4:37 pm

Sarcastic wrote:That is totally awesome (if true). I also kind of doubt he would type such a huge piece just to get attention on the internet. That'd be kind of psychotic.

Trust me, it's been done before.

And as the old adage goes

Pics or it didn't happen.
DocEmrick
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Wed May 27, 2009 4:38 pm

DocEmrick wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:That is totally awesome (if true). I also kind of doubt he would type such a huge piece just to get attention on the internet. That'd be kind of psychotic.

Trust me, it's been done before.

And as the old adage goes

Pics or it didn't happen.

Weird internet people? :scared:
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby darkstar57 on Wed May 27, 2009 4:38 pm

See i can see the dinner part because living in NYC i have been at resturant tons of times when athletes/celebs are having dinner there and i never think to take the camera phone out. I can even believe the part with talbot, kennedy and legame, becuase those guys seem like they really like to go out and have a good time. But the part that really gets me thinking is mde up is the scotch bar, i mean how many people have stories of seeing crosby out at a bar letting alone talking with some random person, i know the way his story is max and tyler bring him in, but i really don't see crosby shooting the breeze (would like to use a 4 letter word there) with some random person, i really don't. Maybe i am wrong, crosby seems to guarded for that
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby Tico Rick on Wed May 27, 2009 4:43 pm

Hey, if he wanted to make up a story for internet consumption, he would have made up a more sensational one, like Crosby trying to put the moves on his girlfriend in the back of the car (to take it in just one of several possible more sensational directions). Yet Crosby is hardly even mentioned in the story. If you take away who these guys are, it's a pretty normal story about young bucks having a fun night out on the town. And definitely, for him to have run for his camera to take pictures of guys he was hangin' with would have made him look like a tool. I believe it.
Last edited by Tico Rick on Wed May 27, 2009 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Jamie on Wed May 27, 2009 4:47 pm

A couple of things strike me as odd.

1) Do the Pens not have a curfew?

2) Why would 3 Pens, get into a car with someone they just met? Why would they get into a car with somebody, that had several glasses of scotch?

I am not saying this is not true. Just a bit odd.
Jamie
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Wed May 27, 2009 4:52 pm

It's definitely a long story.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Daniel87 on Wed May 27, 2009 4:53 pm

darkstar57 wrote:See i can see the dinner part because living in NYC i have been at resturant tons of times when athletes/celebs are having dinner there and i never think to take the camera phone out. I can even believe the part with talbot, kennedy and legame, becuase those guys seem like they really like to go out and have a good time. But the part that really gets me thinking is mde up is the scotch bar, i mean how many people have stories of seeing crosby out at a bar letting alone talking with some random person, i know the way his story is max and tyler bring him in, but i really don't see crosby shooting the breeze (would like to use a 4 letter word there) with some random person, i really don't. Maybe i am wrong, crosby seems to guarded for that

Just because Crosby doesn't go out drinking all the time in popular bars, doesn't mean it can't happen. Plus it wasn't like he was hanging out with him the whole time. I doubt if half the team is eating dinner together and the rest go out for a drink that Crosby is going to go home to bed. His teamates have said countless times that he is very responsible and serious when he's playing/talking hockey, but once the cameras are off he's like any other 21 year old. There's no way that Crosby would approach that guy by himself, but it's very believable that Talbot or Tk would.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby darkstar57 on Wed May 27, 2009 5:01 pm

Jamie wrote:A couple of things strike me as odd.

1) Do the Pens not have a curfew?

2) Why would 3 Pens, get into a car with someone they just met? Why would they get into a car with somebody, that had several glasses of scotch?

I am not saying this is not true. Just a bit odd.

Even if they didn't have a curfew because they had an extra night off, i 100% agree with point 2, these guys are party guys, but reckless like that?
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby profpolisci on Wed May 27, 2009 5:20 pm

Tico Rick wrote:
TheHammer24 wrote:
psubreno14 wrote:I can't decide if this is legit or not...

why didn't he get a camera at his apt?

I, for one, wouldn't have one at my apartment. Not everyone owns one. Why would someone make up a story this LONG and detailed. If he really wanted attention, he would have said a lot more about Crosby, he wouldn't have talked to Boucher so much, and I highly doubt he would have bothered mentioning Minard and Lovejoy joining them.

Agreed; people who lie don't make up such details.

Epic story.

Actually, for people who are 'into' lying, the 'detail' is the carrot.
I'm not buying this.
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby bringitonhome on Wed May 27, 2009 5:21 pm

What a great story!!

When max and marc were drafted, my sister and her friend took them out to see the city and what have you one night. She has some hilarious pics of max in a bikini trashed off his azz. I should post them.
bringitonhome
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bringitonhome on Wed May 27, 2009 5:24 pm

The only way I'm gonna believe it is if he gives me the phone numbers he got and I call them and see who answers.
bringitonhome
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed May 27, 2009 5:26 pm

After the first overly long paragraph that said nothing, I stopped reading. This is why I don't read Tom Clancy novels. The material may be interesting, but you could cut out 75% of the book and still have the same story. I better story actually.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bringitonhome on Wed May 27, 2009 5:27 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:After the first overly long paragraph that said nothing, I stopped reading. This is why I don't read Tom Clancy novels. The material may be interesting, but you could cut out 75% of the book and still have the same story. I better story actually.

He was just trying to set the scene. I'm glad he did.
bringitonhome
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ivand87 on Wed May 27, 2009 5:28 pm

That was cool. There's no reason to not believe that either. Totally believable story. Of course, the best part was the Flyers fan backing down once he saw Talbot. Classic.
ivand87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed May 27, 2009 5:35 pm

Upon skimming it, I believe its BS. I've run into Talbot at bars before, during the regular season, and he has never taken so much as a single shot(my friend and I have each asked him if we could buy him one). This was 2 nights before a playoff game, not a regular season game.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby K2 on Wed May 27, 2009 6:52 pm

bringitonhome wrote:The only way I'm gonna believe it is if he gives me the phone numbers he got and I call them and see who answers.

Ten bucks says it's the service desk at A&L Motors :lol:
K2
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby thePensblogstaff on Wed May 27, 2009 7:17 pm

What's with all the quotes? Don't know what to make of this. Like someone alluded to, it's like a Tom Clancy novel:

Then I said, "blah blah blah."
Then Max said, "blah blah blah blah."
Oh, but then Boucher said, "blah blah blah."

Either all of those quotes are made up, this dude has a photographic memory (even without a camera :?: ), or all of this happened and he was making up quotes to tell the story better.

The story started getting bizarre when they got in the dude's car.
thePensblogstaff
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby crzymike on Wed May 27, 2009 7:18 pm

If true a very interesting story.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Bob McKenzie on Wed May 27, 2009 7:54 pm

Tico Rick wrote:Hey, if he wanted to make up a story for internet consumption, he would have made up a more sensational one, like Crosby trying to put the moves on his girlfriend in the back of the car (to take it in just one of several possible more sensational directions). Yet Crosby is hardly even mentioned in the story. If you take away who these guys are, it's a pretty normal story about young bucks having a fun night out on the town. And definitely, for him to have run for his camera to take pictures of guys he was hangin' with would have made him look like a tool. I believe it.

The story wouldn't be believable if he did that.

I'm not saying the story isn't true. I just am not sold on it being 100% accurate.

That said, I can see a few things in the story being absolutely true such as the sushi place and how the guys were acting at the table.

I could see the guy talking to Boucher/Talbot.

The story starts raising red flags to me when Talbot leaves and comes back to ask him about a place to get scotch and then invites him to come along...they go drinking at an upscale bar...then they play games at his apartment...then takes them to a dive bar at a University...gets Talbot to scare one of his friends...then he gets their phone numbers at the end...all in a few hours. Real or Exaggerated?

Why wouldn't Talbot ask the cabbie or someone at the restaurant about where to go for a drink?

I'm not saying some of the stuff didn't happen. The "**** detector" is going off though.
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby freq019 on Wed May 27, 2009 8:20 pm

Awesome story
freq019
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mac5155 on Wed May 27, 2009 8:22 pm

i am concerned that the penguins are driving around with people they dont know while the driver is drunk. Jordan Staal wasnt involved either
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Bob McKenzie on Wed May 27, 2009 9:13 pm

mac5155 wrote:i am concerned that the penguins are driving around with people they dont know while the driver is drunk. Jordan Staal wasnt involved either

Jordan Staal may have been the writer of this story. :shock:
Bob McKenzie
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: "I swear I will sign the contract, Mario." *fingers crossed*

Postby MdPensFan on Wed May 27, 2009 9:13 pm

I just ran into Mario at a Wawa here in Maryland (Don't ask me why he was here, I have no idea).

He saw me fumbling around in my pocket while searching for my wallet. He could sort of tell that I couldn't find it by the embarrassed look on my face when the lady called my number for the foot long roastbeef I had ordered.

Being the great guy Ole 66 is, he gladly paid for my late lunch, and even topped off my gas tank!! I thanked him about ten times then asked about Talbot meeting a fan in Carolina. He replied, "Oh ya, those guys got trashed on top shelf Scotch all night at some dive bar in the bible belt. I think he's even giving the dude his parents season tickets next year. They just clicked like that."

I said thanks for clearing that up for me, I gotta go type.

My batteries were dead, and there was no one else around to get a photo. As soon as I turned around, the Wawa people locked their door so I couldn't even ask them to snap just one shot.

Man, I'll never forget my day at the Wawa...
MdPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins