Official Penguins Game Thread - 11/4 - Penguins vs. Sharks

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby NIN on Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:06 am

Good stick Ouellet.

What's with all the Steeler parady comments from the annoucers? Let the Yinzers figure it out for themselves I say! :twisted:
NIN

Postby Jesse on Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:08 am

That Penalty Kill = The Marc-Andre Fleury show.

He was basically the only person awake.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby yeltzen on Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:11 am

Gotta give the Pens high marks tonight for not backing down. SJ is definitely the better team but the Penguins are not being intimidated.
yeltzen

Postby KG on Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:11 am

Throughout it all, only down 2-1 after 2 against a excellent team. Right in this game, doesn't really feel like it though right??
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:11 am

Jesse wrote:That Penalty Kill = The Marc-Andre Fleury show.

He was basically the only person awake.

Eaton gone is hurting that a lot. Fortunately elch is back on the roster because I'd hate to see Ciarins or Letang getting significant ice time right now.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jesse on Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:12 am

0-6 on the Power-Play. I'd say that about sums it up.

I'm interested to see how the Penguins come out for the third. They were pretty much offensivley smothered that period.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby NIN on Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:12 am

Pens need to really step it up a notch on the power play. They need to skate it up ice as a team and move it quickly. Maybe have the defnemen pass it around until one can gain the N-zone and then drop it off to a speeding forward who cranked it up from the Dzone.
NIN

Postby BurghThing on Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:14 am

NIN wrote:Pens need to really step it up a notch on the power play. They need to skate it up ice as a team and move it quickly. Maybe have the defnemen pass it around until one can gain the N-zone and then drop it off to a speeding forward who cranked it up from the Dzone.

Or they could just do their patented "dump and don't chase".

Hate being out of town on game nights and having to rely on you guys for the score. 8-)
BurghThing
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby booboo on Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:14 am

DelPen wrote:
yeltzen wrote:I think our young Russian superstar is starting to realize the honeymoon might be over. He looks a little frustrated.

Crosby is trying to force the puck to him or leaving some odd drop passes to get him a goal. I think SJ might be the best team they've played so far and those passes won't be there for Malkin after Crosby leaves them because the defense is too good.

Well, Sid keeps trying the same thing over and over again: trail passes.
How long does it take for other teams to realize that?
He needs to start shooting at the goal and scoring to turn the wave.
booboo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby stopper40 on Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:15 am

netwolf wrote:
stopper40 wrote:God Steigerwald and Errey blow as announcers

Turn on the radio (105.9) - it's in line with TV for a change.

I generally do, but the room I'm in has no radio and when I turned on 105.9 on the comp it was about 30seconds behind the play
stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:17 am

What exactly happened to Eaton? What did Chechoo do?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bh on Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:17 am

booboo wrote:
DelPen wrote:
yeltzen wrote:I think our young Russian superstar is starting to realize the honeymoon might be over. He looks a little frustrated.

Crosby is trying to force the puck to him or leaving some odd drop passes to get him a goal. I think SJ might be the best team they've played so far and those passes won't be there for Malkin after Crosby leaves them because the defense is too good.

Well, Sid keeps trying the same thing over and over again: trail passes.
How long does it take for other teams to realize that?
He needs to start shooting at the goal and scoring to turn the wave.

Good point. It looks like he keeps trying his new moves over and over again. He keeps putting it behind him then kicking it up and I've seen twice now where he could have just skated straight in but that little move got picked off. They are trying to force things badly. Don't try to pass through 3 guys legs!
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NIN on Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:18 am

BurghThing wrote:
NIN wrote:Pens need to really step it up a notch on the power play. They need to skate it up ice as a team and move it quickly. Maybe have the defnemen pass it around until one can gain the N-zone and then drop it off to a speeding forward who cranked it up from the Dzone.

Or they could just do their patented "dump and don't chase".

Hate being out of town on game nights and having to rely on you guys for the score. 8-)

It's 2-1 SHARKS. 2nd int. Pens are hanging in there but the Sharks are getting all the matchups they want.
NIN

Postby booboo on Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:19 am

KG wrote:Throughout it all, only down 2-1 after 2 against a excellent team. Right in this game, doesn't really feel like it though right??

What do you mean by not intimidated?
After 40 minutes of hockey, shots on goal by 71 and 87 sum up to zero.
Joe Thornton has four...
They look equally powerless in the 2nd period in LA while the #1 line
of ours was perfectly shut down.
booboo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jesse on Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:21 am

I'd put Talbot with Malkin and Crosby. Or Thorburn. Someone with energy.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bh on Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:21 am

Well, You can really see the experience of the Sharks here. Not to mention their defense! I think that's the big difference in this game so far. I am very impressed. It seems every one of their dmen can fly and they are making some really sweet outlet passes. I wish we had a defense like them :(
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kicksave on Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:23 am

Signs that show that you aren't completely grown up yet: laughing when Steigy said, "Marc-Andre spends a lot of time on his knees"
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NIN on Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:23 am

booboo wrote:
KG wrote:Throughout it all, only down 2-1 after 2 against a excellent team. Right in this game, doesn't really feel like it though right??

What do you mean by not intimidated?
After 40 minutes of hockey, shots on goal by 71 and 87 sum up to zero.
Joe Thornton has four...
They look equally powerless in the 2nd period in LA while the #1 line
of ours was perfectly shut down.

I respect Sid for attacking Cheechoo but he is their most beloved teammate. I think he might be looking over his shoulder alittle more than usual in this one.
NIN

Postby BurghThing on Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:24 am

bh wrote:Well, You can really see the experience of the Sharks here. Not to mention their defense! I think that's the big difference in this game so far. I am very impressed. It seems every one of their dmen can fly and they are making some really sweet outlet passes. I wish we had a defense like them :(

You mean you wish our team didn't have to take a run and intentionally injure thier teams best defensemen to make it a competitive game.
BurghThing
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby NIN on Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:24 am

Kicksave wrote:Signs that show that you aren't completely grown up yet: laughing when Steigy said, "Marc-Andre spends a lot of time on his knees"

he also just said something like, "they were'nt allowed to go down in that era".

Christ.
NIN

Postby Paul Baxter on Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:24 am

netwolf wrote:
KG wrote:
netwolf wrote:
KG wrote:Sharks are being very physical with Malkin....may be time for a Cairns sighting...

No one's taking cheapshots. Is Cairns going to fight everyone that checks him?

Sharks are playing him the rigth way. It doesn't mean that the Pens have to allow it. Physical deterrants help (Cairns)

Actually, there's nothing the Pens can do about it. If the Sharks want to hit him, they will. Cairns taking one of them off the ice for 5 minutes won't change anything.

Netwolf, we all know you hate physical hockey, but physical play is inherent in the game. You've got to have players that can respond to the physical stuff. I know you really hate guys like Cairns and Ruutu, but those players are badly needed to protect the Crosbys and Malkins. I think if you had your way, the Penguins would be stocked completely with Lady Byng candidates.
Paul Baxter
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby NIN on Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:25 am

bh wrote:Well, You can really see the experience of the Sharks here. Not to mention their defense! I think that's the big difference in this game so far. I am very impressed. It seems every one of their dmen can fly and they are making some really sweet outlet passes. I wish we had a defense like them :(

Me too. They read the play very well and get a good jump on dump ins.
NIN

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:28 am

Ron Wilson is crying that they are getting the short end of the stick on penalties.

:roll:
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:29 am

Sharks are killing the Pens on faceoffs
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:29 am

First time MAF has looked bad in a while...wasn't ready for that shot
KG