Official Penguins Game Thread - 11/4 - Penguins vs. Sharks

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby Jesse on Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:04 am

I'm not dissapointed with the effort and work ethic. The Penguins can say with all earnesty that they left it on the Ice.

In the end, its the lack of ability to finish with the man advantage that killed us.

Good game by Fleury, but I wouldn't be suprised to see Thibault get the start Monday.

Talbot, Moore and Welch get props from me for this one.

If Michel Therrien takes Whitney out behind the barn, I'll provide the bullet.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kicksave on Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:05 am

Great game. Now its time to go watch Blazing Saddles on USA.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ziggo on Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:05 am

NIN wrote:
ziggo wrote:Welch has been solid tonight.

yeah especially when Thorton peed on him before setting up their 3rd goal. he was outsmarted and out muscled. he is very much a rookie right now but still very high potential.

One of his few mistakes, which was borderline. You can't make every play. Thorton makes that play against most defenseman. Beside who was covering Grier. There wasn't a guy within twenty feet of him.
ziggo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:06 am

NIN wrote:By your logic if he beats you, you are "solid".

Joe Thornton has schooled all-star caliber players. I'm sure that him getting the better of Welch on one trip up the ice means very little as far as evaluating Welch's play.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jesse on Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:06 am

Kicksave wrote:Great game. Now its time to go watch Blazing Saddles on USA.

Sweet! Thanks for the tip.

"Hold on a second and let me whip this out..."
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby The U on Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:07 am

Good game. The better team won, though.

Good to see we can play physical and compete in that style of a game. Next game vs the Ducks is most likely a loss. Those 2pts vs the Kings were HUGE.

Really hoping Eaton is OK.

Moore had his best game of the year.

Crosby needs to shoot a bit more and the PP is awful.
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby booboo on Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:07 am

netwolf wrote:
Jesse wrote:I'd put Talbot with Malkin and Crosby. Or Thorburn. Someone with energy.

Do you have Therrien's direct line or something? :D

Great idea BTW. Mad Max with his unsurpassed energy fits very well between Sid and Zhenia.
booboo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:07 am

Jesse wrote:If Michel Therrien takes Whitney out behind the barn, I'll provide the bullet.

I think you should share in that bullet. What have we learned about you posting in game threads? :twisted: :lol:
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby netwolf on Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:09 am

Jesse wrote:
Kicksave wrote:Great game. Now its time to go watch Blazing Saddles on USA.

Sweet! Thanks for the tip.

"Hold on a second and let me whip this out..."

What, not gonna watch "In My Own Words: Mark Recchi"? It's worth it for the shot of him with the Donnie Iris glasses alone. :lol:
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NIN on Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:10 am

ziggo wrote:
NIN wrote:

yeah especially when Thorton peed on him before setting up their 3rd goal. he was outsmarted and out muscled. he is very much a rookie right now but still very high potential.

One of his few mistakes, which was borderline. You can't make every play. Thorton makes that play against most defenseman. Beside who was covering Grier. There wasn't a guy within twenty feet of him.

I know, I know. I'm not saying Welch sucks, far from it. He IS however a ROOKIE and he will make rookie mistakes. Grier should have never had that shot but when your defense gives Joe Thorton a night and a day to find a player your forwards are going to panic most of the time. Just all around bad play but it broke down with that move Thortont put on him.

Welch is looking to line guys up and it's getting him caught out of position alot, if that's his style then I guess I'll just have to get used to it. After watching Orik's 2st 2 season I know that it takes some time for that kind of style to click for you at the NHl level.
NIN

Postby Stoosh on Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:13 am

Loved the effort and the up-tempo game. This is the way hockey is supposed to be played.

If nothing else, tonight served notice that this Pens team is capable of playing the type of fast-paced, physical hockey that it's going to take to beat the top teams in the East - teams like Buffalo, Ottawa, Atlanta, and Carolina. Those are the teams in the East that play the same way as the Sharks.

Couldn't be getting Orpik back at a better time. I hope Eaton is OK.

If this is the worst game we see from Crosby and Malkin all year, then we're going to be in good shape.

This Anaheim game could get awfully interesting.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jesse on Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:13 am

netwolf wrote:
Jesse wrote:If Michel Therrien takes Whitney out behind the barn, I'll provide the bullet.

I think you should share in that bullet. What have we learned about you posting in game threads? :twisted: :lol:

Absolutely nothing considering the fact I've posted in the last two before this!

So take that!

:P
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby netwolf on Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:14 am

Jesse wrote:
netwolf wrote:

Absolutely nothing considering the fact I've posted in the last two before this!

So take that!

:P

So it just took a while to catch up with you. You ought not to tempt fate. :evil: :lol:
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby booboo on Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:15 am

The U wrote:Good game. The better team won, though.

Good to see we can play physical and compete in that style of a game. Next game vs the Ducks is most likely a loss. Those 2pts vs the Kings were HUGE.

Really hoping Eaton is OK.

Moore had his best game of the year.

Crosby needs to shoot a bit more and the PP is awful.

There is no way we could win a game with ZERO shots from #87.
"A bit more" is a vast understatement. I liked his style much better
when he was ready to rob Hatcher a few days ago... I did not ses that
kind of intensity in Sid tonight (he was still one of the best Pens
on the ice).
booboo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Guins on Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:16 am

Can we get someone on Sid's & Geno's line that has a PULSE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Guins

Postby DelPen on Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:16 am

NIN wrote:
ziggo wrote:
NIN wrote:

I know, I know. I'm not saying Welch sucks, far from it. He IS however a ROOKIE and he will make rookie mistakes. Grier should have never had that shot but when your defense gives Joe Thorton a night and a day to find a player your forwards are going to panic most of the time. Just all around bad play but it broke down with that move Thortont put on him.

Welch is looking to line guys up and it's getting him caught out of position alot, if that's his style then I guess I'll just have to get used to it. After watching Orik's 2st 2 season I know that it takes some time for that kind of style to click for you at the NHl level.

Are we talking about the play right before Grier's goal where Crosby should have cleared but failed and Thornton got the puck back after Welch rubbed him out of the play already one time?

This was Crosby's worst game I;ve seen this year, but it still wasn't a bad game.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Guins on Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:19 am

Is there anyone @ WB that can play with Sid & Geno because I have had enough of Armstrong. He is like a 6th wheel not a 5th wheel on that line :roll: :shock:
Guins

Postby BJL on Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:22 am

Guins wrote:Is there anyone @ WB that can play with Sid & Geno because I have had enough of Armstrong. He is like a 6th wheel not a 5th wheel on that line :roll: :shock:

Eh... Christensen? Stone? Not a lot of help down there right now.
BJL
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Guins on Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:26 am

Give Christensen a chance. Armstrong has been & always will be a 3rd line checking type winger
Guins

Postby Jesse on Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:29 am

Minhkov just got assigned to WB/S. I'd like to see big Jon Filewich get the chance.

Although, his game as trended towards pass first shoot later from what I've read. That might not fit the bill. Christensen is a center.. and Stone (shudder), don't think he's ready yet.

I say screw the rules and call up Rob Schremp.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bh on Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:33 am

This game was really frustrating.
Here is my instant end of game analysis.

Malkin and Crosby didn't do a whole lot. It seemed that the Sharks D keyed in on those two and did a very good job. I can see in the future where we are going to have to break them up. They just seemed to not have any room at all out there.

Also Colby needs to step it up. He plays very timid with Croby and Malkin now. He needs moved off their line or he needs to play with a little more energy.

Games like this show that sometimes the old vets can really chip in. I think that Leclair had a great game. He was backshecking, he created a lot of offense, and could have had a couple more points tonight if the bounces went right.

Dominic Moore had a great game as well. He has some really good moves and is good at getting away from defenders. He was finding some space and making good use of it.

Ouellet once again shows why he is on the team. Give him a chance and he'll bury it. He just needs to get more chances.

The 4th line had a lot of energy and had a lot of chances as well. 3rd and 4th lines get an A this game.

Flurey didn't play bad but he didn't play great eithor. He did keep them in it but couldn't steal a point for them. He made some nice saves but that 3rd goal seemed a little weak.

2nd line didn't do much. I think that Recchi just drags that line down. Jordan played pretty good. Not his best game but he didn't do anything horrible. Ekman looks good at times and sucks at others. I wonder if they replaced Recchi with a healthy Malone if that would improve that line? I didn't see Recchi do one helpful thing tonight. He just chugs around the ice like a little wind up toy.

Scuderi had a horrible horrible game. I asked about a week ago who was better; Scuds or Melicher. After this game there is no comparison.
Melichar looked pretty good, Gonchar looked even better, Welch looked the best. I don't know who played worse, Whitney or Scuderi, but both were horrible. Hope Eaton isn't hurt too bad. I can see after this game how much a good defense helps your game. SJ defense was awesome. They moved the puck quick, skated like the wind, and were very physical. Twice as good as our defense.

Overall the Pens hung right there with them but they were obviously outplayed by SJ. These types of games are good for the pens. It will toughen them up and Show them where they need to improve. I liked how physical the pens were playing. They were right at the level of the skarks in that department. Now we have to get ready for the Ducks! Yikes!!!
:shock:
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby nexguy66 on Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:34 am

Talbot played with Sid and Malkin a bit towards the end, he should stay there.
nexguy66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Paul Baxter on Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:39 am

netwolf wrote:
Paul Baxter wrote:Netwolf, we all know you hate physical hockey, but physical play is inherent in the game. You've got to have players that can respond to the physical stuff. I know you really hate guys like Cairns and Ruutu, but those players are badly needed to protect the Crosbys and Malkins. I think if you had your way, the Penguins would be stocked completely with Lady Byng candidates.

No offense, but if you think that, you don't know jack about me. I do like physical hockey. Good clean hits can fire up a crowd more than a goal some times.

However, there's a BIG difference in physical hockey and throwing a hack like Cairns over the boards because someone looked sideways at Crosby or because someone had the nerve to body check Malkin.

I dislike Cairns because IMO he can't actually play hockey. I was wary of Ruutu coming here because he had shown a penchant for delivering cheapshots. This far, he's played clean and hard, and I've got no problems with him

Well, I'm glad to hear that you do like physical hockey, Netwolf. I based my comments purely on your past posts on this board, which have clearly indicated that you have no use for players like Carins and Ruutu. I specifically remember a post you made after Shero signed Ruutu in which you blasted the signing, because Ruutu was "too dirty" or something to that effect. We all have our opinions, but Shero must have thought that the Pens were too soft of a team and, therefore, felt guys like Ruutu, Petrovicky, and Thornburn were needed to upgrade team toughness. Needless to say, I strongly agree with Shero's moves. He knew darn well that the Pens were too soft. As for Cairns, yes, it's true he is not a good player, but he "can" play as a fill-in (he played regular NHL shifts in past years with the Rangers and Islanders), he's at least as good as Scuderi, IMHO. Most importantly, though, he is a genuinely feared fighter, which gives him a lot of value to this Penguins team.
Paul Baxter
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ziggo on Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:45 am

Staal looked as if he didn't have any linemates at times. We need a winger for his line for sure. I would almost be tempted to put Moore and Army with him and bump Talbot up to the first line. We just heve to many centers.
ziggo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:52 am

Paul Baxter wrote:Well, I'm glad to hear that you do like physical hockey, Netwolf. I based my comments purely on your past posts on this board, which have clearly indicated that you have no use for players like Carins and Ruutu. I specifically remember a post you made after Shero signed Ruutu in which you blasted the signing, because Ruutu was "too dirty" or something to that effect. We all have our opinions, but Shero must have thought that the Pens were too soft of a team and, therefore, felt guys like Ruutu, Petrovicky, and Thornburn were needed to upgrade team toughness. Needless to say, I strongly agree with Shero's moves. He knew darn well that the Pens were too soft. As for Cairns, yes, it's true he is not a good player, but he "can" play as a fill-in (he played regular NHL shifts in past years with the Rangers and Islanders), he's at least as good as Scuderi, IMHO. Most importantly, though, he is a genuinely feared fighter, which gives him a lot of value to this Penguins team.

I didn't like the Ruutu signing at the time because everything I knew about him suggested he was borderline dirty. I have no use for cheapshot artists. You can have a guy that plays physical without playing dirty. So far, he's been clean, so I've got no problem with him.

I don't think Cairns can take a shift without being a liability, either because he's a below-average player or because he'll take a bad penalty. When he played regular shifts for those teams, the league was a lot different. He's too slow, both with regards to his skating and how he reads plays and reacts. Reports from his conditioning stint said he was slow. That could have been rust, but if he's slow at the AHL level, he might end up in reverse at the NHL level.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins