Official Penguins Game Thread - 11/4 - Penguins vs. Sharks

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby Kaizer on Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:08 am

netwolf wrote:
Paul Baxter wrote:Well, I'm glad to hear that you do like physical hockey, Netwolf. I based my comments purely on your past posts on this board, which have clearly indicated that you have no use for players like Carins and Ruutu. I specifically remember a post you made after Shero signed Ruutu in which you blasted the signing, because Ruutu was "too dirty" or something to that effect. We all have our opinions, but Shero must have thought that the Pens were too soft of a team and, therefore, felt guys like Ruutu, Petrovicky, and Thornburn were needed to upgrade team toughness. Needless to say, I strongly agree with Shero's moves. He knew darn well that the Pens were too soft. As for Cairns, yes, it's true he is not a good player, but he "can" play as a fill-in (he played regular NHL shifts in past years with the Rangers and Islanders), he's at least as good as Scuderi, IMHO. Most importantly, though, he is a genuinely feared fighter, which gives him a lot of value to this Penguins team.

I didn't like the Ruutu signing at the time because everything I knew about him suggested he was borderline dirty. I have no use for cheapshot artists. You can have a guy that plays physical without playing dirty. So far, he's been clean, so I've got no problem with him.

I don't think Cairns can take a shift without being a liability, either because he's a below-average player or because he'll take a bad penalty. When he played regular shifts for those teams, the league was a lot different. He's too slow, both with regards to his skating and how he reads plays and reacts. Reports from his conditioning stint said he was slow. That could have been rust, but if he's slow at the AHL level, he might end up in reverse at the NHL level.

agreed, when he was playing 25 minutes a night for the islanders, he and aucoin were effective because they were allowed to interfere constantly with the top lines. i have a feeling if he starts playing again, the only thing that will happen is a lot of penalty kills. the league is shifting toward guys like colby armstrong's energy/skill/fighter types instead of the defensive hooking guy that has the size to pummel the crap out of some uppity euro winger and mercifully so IMO.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Corvidae on Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:51 am

nexguy66 wrote:Talbot played with Sid and Malkin a bit towards the end, he should stay there.

Three centers on one line is always a good idea....
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby André on Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:48 am

I missed the game because of yaahoo's messup. The game was on for period 2 but I couldn't get around the blackout.

No biggie I guess, seems like I chose the right game to miss. Will watch the Anaheim game on tvu.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby brwi on Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:28 am

Stoosh wrote:Loved the effort and the up-tempo game. This is the way hockey is supposed to be played.

If nothing else, tonight served notice that this Pens team is capable of playing the type of fast-paced, physical hockey that it's going to take to beat the top teams in the East - teams like Buffalo, Ottawa, Atlanta, and Carolina. Those are the teams in the East that play the same way as the Sharks.

Couldn't be getting Orpik back at a better time. I hope Eaton is OK.

If this is the worst game we see from Crosby and Malkin all year, then we're going to be in good shape.

This Anaheim game could get awfully interesting.

I agree. It was very nice to see up-tempo hockey played with great skating and physicality!

The Pens' gave a solid effort, but SJ was the better team last night. They just kept bringing it all night and Grier and McLaren had big games for themselves by busting their butts all game long.

Yeah, there were some scary d breakdowns by the Pens at times, but that happens when you lose Eaton right at the start and are left with some very young and raw d-men. It's going to happen even with Eaton in the lineup....guys like Whitney are going to make some boneheaded decisions under pressure. Now someone like Scaryderi who shouldn't be on the roster? That's another story.

I give SJ credit moreso than I fault the Pens. Sharks were at home and didn't let up all night and killed-off a bunch of early PP's. They really did a good job of containing Sid and Malkin by staying all over them with the body instead of backing-off and giving them space. Sharks are a very talented team and the Pens hung with them throughout, but it just wasn't going to happen for them last night. Great game to watch at least.

Brad
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby nexguy66 on Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:19 am

Corvidae wrote:
nexguy66 wrote:Talbot played with Sid and Malkin a bit towards the end, he should stay there.

Three centers on one line is always a good idea....

It's not a bad idea when you have 5-6 centers on your team.
nexguy66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby brwi on Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:07 am

netwolf wrote:
I didn't like the Ruutu signing at the time because everything I knew about him suggested he was borderline dirty. I have no use for cheapshot artists. You can have a guy that plays physical without playing dirty. So far, he's been clean, so I've got no problem with him.

Did you like Ruutu's flying elbow last night that fortunately SJ offset with one of their own? :lol: I mean, Ruutu had to really stick it out to get to the guy to deliver it. Didn't bother me, though it would have if SJ hadn't lost their poise because this all happened with the puck in SJ's zone.

Brad
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby yeltzen on Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:13 am

Here we go again with the three centers on the top line idea...
yeltzen

Postby Maestro on Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:13 pm

Also of note perhaps is with 9 minutes to go in the game (51 minute mark) San Jose braodcast had a "fan cam" that highlighted maybe 4 different people - 2 of which were hotties - I particualrly enjoyed the far to mid zoom/pull focus of the last fan, a 19 year old or so Latina. Good work by the cam op on that one.
Maestro
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pfim on Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:14 pm

As for Cairns, yes, it's true he is not a good player, but he "can" play as a fill-in (he played regular NHL shifts in past years with the Rangers and Islanders), he's at least as good as Scuderi, IMHO. Most importantly, though, he is a genuinely feared fighter, which gives him a lot of value to this Penguins team.

Yeah, just what the Pens need. More time on the PK.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby netwolf on Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:52 pm

brwi wrote:
netwolf wrote:I didn't like the Ruutu signing at the time because everything I knew about him suggested he was borderline dirty. I have no use for cheapshot artists. You can have a guy that plays physical without playing dirty. So far, he's been clean, so I've got no problem with him.

Did you like Ruutu's flying elbow last night that fortunately SJ offset with one of their own? :lol: I mean, Ruutu had to really stick it out to get to the guy to deliver it. Didn't bother me, though it would have if SJ hadn't lost their poise because this all happened with the puck in SJ's zone.

Brad

I'd have liked it a lot less if Clowe hadn't been extremely retarded in retaliating well after Ruutu's shot. He skated right past the ref that had his arm up. That's pretty stupid on his part. The Sharks should have had a PP there.

Good for Ruutu to take someone with him, but I hope he's good at picking out targets because against a more disciplined player, Ruutu would have taken a bad penalty against a good PP.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:38 pm

Congrats to Dominc Moore, Chris Thorburn, John Leclair... had a
good game. Moore~ that was awfully quick whistle in the first but
I don't want to sound like Ron Wilson. :)
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins