World of Warcraft discussion thread

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

World of Warcraft discussion thread

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:33 pm

Just picked it up tonight, haven't created an account yet. I'm just reading the big manual now lol. I know some on here play WOW. What are some helpful tips that I should be aware of? 8-)
Last edited by SolidSnake on Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,127
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm
Location: Winners don't use drugs.- William S. Sessions.

Re: World of Warcraft rook here....

Postby MWB on Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:42 pm

Try not to get addicted to it.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,767
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:36 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: World of Warcraft rook here....

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:54 pm

MWB wrote:Try not to get addicted to it.


Ya good luck. I got a 10 day free trial and thank god that was it lol. I would recommend trying to get another friend to buy it or making friends early. It was hard to find people because I started so late and everyone was already level 99
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,211
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:59 pm
Location: The Panda Will Fly Away On A Rainbow

Re: World of Warcraft rook here....

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:54 pm

And stay away from LEROY JENKINS
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,211
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:59 pm
Location: The Panda Will Fly Away On A Rainbow

Re: World of Warcraft rook here....

Postby MWB on Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:57 pm

Letang Is The Truth wrote:
MWB wrote:Try not to get addicted to it.


Ya good luck. I got a 10 day free trial and thank god that was it lol. I would recommend trying to get another friend to buy it or making friends early. It was hard to find people because I started so late and everyone was already level 99


Good idea. It's much more fun if you have people you can play with. Even if they're at a higher level they can then help you catch up.
MWB
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,767
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:36 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: World of Warcraft rook here....

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:21 pm

Yea unfortunately I really don't know anyone else that plays it. :(
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,127
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm
Location: Winners don't use drugs.- William S. Sessions.

Re: World of Warcraft rook here....

Postby bhaw on Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:43 pm

SolidSnake wrote:What are some helpful tips that I should be aware of? 8-)


I never played, but I know this... Do you have a girlfriend? If so, you might want to break up with her now to prevent the time it will take to do so when you have an important quest you need to finish.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,003
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Re: World of Warcraft rook here....

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:55 pm

bhaw wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:What are some helpful tips that I should be aware of? 8-)


I never played, but I know this... Do you have a girlfriend? If so, you might want to break up with her now to prevent the time it will take to do so when you have an important quest you need to finish.



No I'm single lol :cry: 8-) :D :face:
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,127
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm
Location: Winners don't use drugs.- William S. Sessions.

Re: World of Warcraft rook here....

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:33 pm

SolidSnake wrote:What are some helpful tips that I should be aware of? 8-)


Umm, don't forget to eat and sleep. And Shower.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,283
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Re: World of Warcraft rook here....

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:49 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:What are some helpful tips that I should be aware of? 8-)


Umm, don't forget to eat and sleep. And Shower.



lol that addicting?
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,127
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm
Location: Winners don't use drugs.- William S. Sessions.

Re: World of Warcraft rook here....

Postby neophool on Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:47 am

make friends
neophool
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,366
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:36 am
Location: The Dumps

Re: World of Warcraft rook here....

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:44 am

You've gone this far without it...spare yourself.

I've never played it but i've seen it consume a few people's lives.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,574
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:10 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: World of Warcraft rook here....

Postby stopper40 on Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:26 am

I've never played, I think I would get addicted very easily.

My recommendation would be to watch the South Park episode about it,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Make_Love,_Not_Warcraft
stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,740
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:51 am
Location: BANNED for liking Butterfingers

Re: World of Warcraft rook here....

Postby SolidSnake on Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:40 am

stopper40 wrote:I've never played, I think I would get addicted very easily.

My recommendation would be to watch the South Park episode about it,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Make_Love,_Not_Warcraft



Yea I got it on dvd lol I played last night from 1 am to 3 am so not too bad. I did get killed once. :face:
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,127
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm
Location: Winners don't use drugs.- William S. Sessions.

Re: World of Warcraft rook here....

Postby Kaizer on Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:16 am

Expect to play alone for a while, since everyone else is two expansions ahead of you. that kinda sucks.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,377
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:02 am
Location: Crazy Town

Re: World of Warcraft rook here....

Postby Samsdog on Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:22 am

Don't do it dude...I saw 2 friends fail out of Pitt because they stopped going to class and just played WoW all the time. That game is evil.
Samsdog
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,698
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:33 pm
Location: Bloomfield

Re: World of Warcraft rook here....

Postby IronDukes37 on Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:29 am

......
Last edited by IronDukes37 on Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
IronDukes37
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,562
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:01 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: World of Warcraft rook here....

Postby Troy Loney on Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:36 am

IronDukes37 wrote:
stopper40 wrote:I've never played, I think I would get addicted very easily.

My recommendation would be to watch the South Park episode about it,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Make_Love,_Not_Warcraft

omg, I've watched that episode 5 times last night, just couldn't stop, had to watch just one..more..time....



Listening to cartman issue orders in the WoW lingo is amazing...but watching how fat and disgusting they get is pretty gross...great episode though.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,574
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:10 am
Location: Pittsburgh

Re: World of Warcraft rook here....

Postby Steve on Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:54 am

never played WOW, but I played everquest for a while - which is similar - and I was addicted, but not nearly as bad as some. I knew players who would play 12 hours a day (after working 8 hours), do the math, and who would play 20+ hours a day on the weekends. Non stop experience grind. There was a chick on our server who had a baby in real life, and named the baby after her everquest character. There are tons of goofy stories like this.

there is a yahoo group (probably tons of them like this) for WOW widows. :)

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/WOW_widow/
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,679
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:56 am
Location: Maryland

Re: World of Warcraft rook here....

Postby jaysmiter on Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:52 pm

SolidSnake,

I play and if you're looking for someone to BS with while you level or someone to level with, let me know. I'm on Lothar (you can PM me if you do).

I think my biggest advice to you is to just play. It seems really overwhelming and confusing at first, but you'll eventually get the hang of things.

Chances are, people aren't going to believe that someone is actually *new* and thus probably won't be all that helpful, so bookmark www.thottbot.com and refer to it often. It will help with quests immensely. And if you decide to download any mods, I would suggest just getting one that allows for coordinates on a map, like cartographer. That should be all you get, currently. Maybe QuestHelper, but I've never used that so I can't really recommend it.

Pick up two professions ASAP and work on them from the start.

Umm...other than that...you'll find a lot of crappy people on there, but there are also good people that will help out, as well.
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,998
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:50 pm
Location: Just another example of a warped twisted sick mind that is out there hiding behind a keyboard.

Re: World of Warcraft rook here....

Postby Sabres_Fan on Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:14 pm

I've been playing Runescape for maybe 6 years.. Those games can get quite addicting.. Same concepts different game.. In fact I think Runescape is the biggest online game in the world still
Sabres_Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,706
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:21 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, pa (via Buffalo in a little town known as Pominville)

Re: World of Warcraft rook here....

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:34 pm

how much is the monthly for this game?
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,211
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:59 pm
Location: The Panda Will Fly Away On A Rainbow

Re: World of Warcraft rook here....

Postby SolidSnake on Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:49 pm

jaysmiter wrote:SolidSnake,

I play and if you're looking for someone to BS with while you level or someone to level with, let me know. I'm on Lothar (you can PM me if you do).

I think my biggest advice to you is to just play. It seems really overwhelming and confusing at first, but you'll eventually get the hang of things.

Chances are, people aren't going to believe that someone is actually *new* and thus probably won't be all that helpful, so bookmark http://www.thottbot.com and refer to it often. It will help with quests immensely. And if you decide to download any mods, I would suggest just getting one that allows for coordinates on a map, like cartographer. That should be all you get, currently. Maybe QuestHelper, but I've never used that so I can't really recommend it.

Pick up two professions ASAP and work on them from the start.

Umm...other than that...you'll find a lot of crappy people on there, but there are also good people that will help out, as well.



Thanks alot of it has been overwhelming but I'm slowly learning. How long have you been playing? What 2 professions do you reccommend?

Letang is the truth: It's $15 per month. I bought a 60 game card and used that. I thought my subscription would end on Sept 1, but it' says Oct 1st, so I guess I got a bonus month?
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,127
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm
Location: Winners don't use drugs.- William S. Sessions.

Re: World of Warcraft rook here....

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:20 pm

Holy cow 15 a month. 11.5 million subscribers... thats like 2 billion a year. holw cow. i'm holding out for D3. I can't drop an extra 15 a month lol
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 24,211
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:59 pm
Location: The Panda Will Fly Away On A Rainbow

Re: World of Warcraft rook here....

Postby jaysmiter on Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:21 pm

SolidSnake wrote:
jaysmiter wrote:SolidSnake,

I play and if you're looking for someone to BS with while you level or someone to level with, let me know. I'm on Lothar (you can PM me if you do).

I think my biggest advice to you is to just play. It seems really overwhelming and confusing at first, but you'll eventually get the hang of things.

Chances are, people aren't going to believe that someone is actually *new* and thus probably won't be all that helpful, so bookmark http://www.thottbot.com and refer to it often. It will help with quests immensely. And if you decide to download any mods, I would suggest just getting one that allows for coordinates on a map, like cartographer. That should be all you get, currently. Maybe QuestHelper, but I've never used that so I can't really recommend it.

Pick up two professions ASAP and work on them from the start.

Umm...other than that...you'll find a lot of crappy people on there, but there are also good people that will help out, as well.



Thanks alot of it has been overwhelming but I'm slowly learning. How long have you been playing? What 2 professions do you reccommend?

Letang is the truth: It's $15 per month. I bought a 60 game card and used that. I thought my subscription would end on Sept 1, but it' says Oct 1st, so I guess I got a bonus month?


First month is free...like crack.

As for professions, it depends on what class you are, etc.

Mining/Jewelcrafting, Skinning/Leatherworking, Mining/Blacksmithing, Enchanting/Tailoring (Leatherworking), Herbalism/Alchemy are all good pairings.

Overall on my two main characters, I'd say somewhere around 60-70 days of actual gametime. Yeah.
jaysmiter
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,998
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:50 pm
Location: Just another example of a warped twisted sick mind that is out there hiding behind a keyboard.

Next

Return to NHR

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


e-mail