Official Game Thread - 11/8 - Penguins vs. Tampa Bay

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby Shinoix on Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:15 pm

Whitney is being his stellar self out there in our end.
FOUR chances in the first period to clear the puck...4 turnovers.

Orpik with one bad turnover too.

Gonchar with quite possibly the stupidest play I've ever seen off the faceoff to start the game....which then turned into pressure by TB.

Hurry back Eaton!!

Did Whitney finally hit someone for the first time in 7 games? Too bad it was on the PK and he took himself completely out of the play. Brilliant again Ryan.

Thank god for Colby back on the first line. Thorburn never looked good, he got lucky on one goal, other than that the play is too quick for him. Hear that Pens4Life? When you watch, you see...so no, Thorburn won't be a 25 goal scorer and doesn't belong on the first line.

The second line is playing well, Recchi is playing awesome lately and working his ass off.

Once one goal goes in, a bunch are going to. TB is blocking shots well and as per usual, we're missing the net from the point.
Shinoix

Postby Shinoix on Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:17 pm

NIN wrote:
newarenanow wrote:I hate not being able to see the games on tv.

Pens are predictably flat with the notable exception of Whitney. The goal was scored after a failed clearing attempt from Melichar was sent quickly back to the net where Scuderi's man stood uncehcked. He deflected it nicely before Fleury could set himself for the shot, he did;nt react in time.

where was the winger on that play? Not even close to that side of the ice, not even close to the boards. The puck went around and the guy had all the time in the world to have a look and throw the puck on net. I was so pissed when that happened.
Shinoix

Postby Kicksave on Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:19 pm

Shinoix wrote:Whitney is being his stellar self out there in our end.

Gonchar with quite possibly the stupidest play I've ever seen off the faceoff to start the game....which then turned into pressure by TB.

Hurry back Eaton!!

Did Whitney finally hit someone for the first time in 7 games? Too bad it was on the PK and he took himself completely out of the play. Brilliant again Ryan.

Thank god for Colby back on the first line. Thorburn never looked good, he got lucky on one goal, other than that the play is too quick for him. Hear that Pens4Life? When you watch, you see...so no, Thorburn won't be a 25 goal scorer and doesn't belong on the first line.

The second line is playing well, Recchi is playing awesome lately and working his ass off.

Once one goal goes in, a bunch are going to. TB is blocking shots well and as per usual, we're missing the net from the point.

Wasn't it Melichar's weak attempt at a clearing that caused the goal? I don't see him in your defensive rant.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:20 pm

shin...give it up with pens 4...seriously...its annoying...you thunder bay boys hold a grudge, eh?

flat period...had a couple quality chance on the offensive end...staal, malkin...the extra pass by ruutu...c'mon boys...
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby NIN on Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:21 pm

Shinoix wrote:
NIN wrote:
newarenanow wrote:I hate not being able to see the games on tv.

Pens are predictably flat with the notable exception of Whitney. The goal was scored after a failed clearing attempt from Melichar was sent quickly back to the net where Scuderi's man stood uncehcked. He deflected it nicely before Fleury could set himself for the shot, he did;nt react in time.

where was the winger on that play? Not even close to that side of the ice, not even close to the boards. The puck went around and the guy had all the time in the world to have a look and throw the puck on net. I was so pissed when that happened.

It was a reckless clear, nobody was prepared for what Melicahr did. I think he thought that the other team would not expect it but they read it well. melichar was behind the net on the OPPOSITE side of the horn that he wrapped it around. In the NHL those rarely make it out without helpand like you pointed out, the winger was'nt even near the point when he cleared it. He had time but he forced it.
NIN

Postby jmh470 on Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:23 pm

By day, he is mild-mannered John Leclair. By night, he becomes.... Constantly Falling Down Man!!!
jmh470
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby dman66 on Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:24 pm

jmh470 wrote:By day, he is mild-mannered John Leclair. By night, he becomes.... Constantly Falling Down Man!!!

as long as its not into malkin, im cool with that
dman66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby canaan on Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:25 pm

dman66 wrote:
jmh470 wrote:By day, he is mild-mannered John Leclair. By night, he becomes.... Constantly Falling Down Man!!!

lol...a lot of the pens were falling down on that side of the ice...wtf
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jim on Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:26 pm

It's starting to get really old... just a little more and he will pass Rozsival on the all-time list.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:26 pm

canaan wrote:
dman66 wrote:

There was defniately something wrong in front of their boards, Malkin took a spill and then a few minutes later, same spot, someone else went down.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:27 pm

DelPen wrote:
canaan wrote:
dman66 wrote:

There was defniately something wrong in front of their boards, Malkin took a spill and then a few minutes later, same spot, someone else went down.

yea...why doesnt therrien switch up the lines of the zamboni crew
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Stoosh on Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:27 pm

Whitney is being his stellar self out there in our end.

Whitney's definitely having a rough night out there in our end. He needs to take his time and get back to basics. I don't know if he's trying to rush things or what, but the game seems to be moving too fast for him at times.

I'm going to continue to be patient with him (not that it matters what I think anyway) because he is an asset to this team. There are mistakes that he's making that are only cured by experience, and he just doesn't have a lot of relative NHL experience right now.

I think Colby will be more of a mainstay on the first line. Thorburn is having a hard time keeping up offensively. He's a third/fourth-liner miscast as a top-liner because we're so thin at wing right now. Colby seemed to get a good amount of ice time with the top line towards the latter half of that period.

They look a little tired. Errey was on Madden's show around 5:00 or 5:20 and said we could probably expect this...first home game back from a long road trip is always tough. It's even tougher because this team really skated their asses off the last three games.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:28 pm

Stoosh wrote:Whitney's definitely having a rough night out there... I'm going to continue to be patient with him

I do not think they should trade him or anything, but he should NOT be getting 20 minutes a game either.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby NIN on Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:28 pm

Tremendous analysis by BOB ERREY about the TB goal.
NIN

Postby Stoosh on Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:29 pm

Wow...they were just showing the Tampa goal...brutal decision by Melichar to clear that puck up that wall, but it was compounded by the fact that there wasn't a Pens winger to be found.

Melichar hasn't made many glaring mistakes this year, but that was one of them.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby dman66 on Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:30 pm

canaan wrote:yea...why doesnt therrien switch up the lines of the zamboni crew

dont give him any ideas. pfft, i really start to think, that they goal, is to be, the worst zamboni crew in the nhl, pfft. :lol:
dman66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kicksave on Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:30 pm

Stoosh wrote:Wow...they were just showing the Tampa goal...brutal decision by Melichar to clear that puck up that wall, but it was compounded by the fact that there wasn't a Pens winger to be found.

Melichar hasn't made many glaring mistakes this year, but that was one of them.

Thats what irked me so far about this game thread. Everyone is ******** about Whtiney's turnovers, Melichar's is the only one that has cost the team tonight.
Kicksave
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:34 pm

entropyfitch wrote:
dman66 wrote:

dont give him any ideas. pfft, i really start to think, that they goal, is to be, the worst zamboni crew in the nhl, pfft. :lol:

they miss spots on the ice. they sof. really sof

are they tanking so they can get the first pick in the 2007 Zamboni Entry Draft....where are the scouts at?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jim on Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:39 pm

Kicksave wrote:Thats what irked me so far about this game thread. Everyone is ******** about Whtiney's turnovers, Melichar's is the only one that has cost the team tonight.

I would blame it more on the lack of a player up high over Melichar sending it hard around the boards.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby NIN on Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:39 pm

canaan wrote:
entropyfitch wrote:
dman66 wrote:

they miss spots on the ice. they sof. really sof

are they tanking so they can get the first pick in the 2007 Zamboni Entry Draft....where are the scouts at?

They need to add 1 or 2 more compressers to quickly freeze the ice and keep it colder during the wramer months of the hockey season.
NIN

Postby Shinoix on Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:39 pm

Kicksave wrote:
Shinoix wrote:Whitney is being his stellar self out there in our end.

Hurry back Eaton!!

Wasn't it Melichar's weak attempt at a clearing that caused the goal? I don't see him in your defensive rant.

yeah it was...it was a combination of both...I was just adding to what you said, not arguing it.
Shinoix

Postby Jim on Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:40 pm

Shinoix wrote:
Kicksave wrote:Wasn't it Melichar's weak attempt at a clearing that caused the goal? I don't see him in your defensive rant.

yeah it was...it was a combination of both...I was just adding to what you said, not arguing it.

Melichar's clearing attempt had more umph on it than ALL of Whitney's put together so far...
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby NIN on Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:42 pm

Jim wrote:
Shinoix wrote:
Kicksave wrote:Wasn't it Melichar's weak attempt at a clearing that caused the goal? I don't see him in your defensive rant.

Melichar's clearing attempt had more umph on it than ALL of Whitney's put together so far...

even the one that went all the way down the ice at the end of a PK shift? i thought that one had some decent "umph"? Then again, I'm not in love with Melichar.
NIN

Postby SportsFan on Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:43 pm

QUIT SWITCHING LINES!!!
Last edited by SportsFan on Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SportsFan

Postby Pitts on Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:43 pm

They moved Malkin to line 2 with Staal and Recchi.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins