Mario Lemieux and wikipedia

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Mario Lemieux and wikipedia

Postby netwolf on Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:46 am

TaraO wrote:I've got a question on his number : on WP.en they said that : "Although Lemieux wore the jersey #27 during his time with the Laval Voisins, he wanted to adopt Wayne Gretzky's #99 when he entered the NHL. However, his agent advised him to create his own identity; thus, Lemieux turned #99 upside down and landed on #66, which stuck with him throughout his career."

I know that Mario was wearing the 27 with Laval but the other part of the story is-it true ? If any one knows where I could find sources of it ?

That is partly true. I don't know if he ever wanted to wear 99, but the rest is confirmed on page 56 of Mario Lemieux: Over Time:

"My agents at the time, Gus Badali and Bob Perno, also represented Wayne Gretzky and he owned the franchise on No. 99," Mario recalled. "Bob said I could make my own statement by turning it upside down and picking No. 66. Nobody else had the number. It made sense; this would be my number, my identity, especially if I had the career I knew I would."
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FuturePens on Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:08 pm

I like how you apologize for not speaking English very well...but in reality you seem to speak better than many American posters on this board...
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby lowedog on Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:23 pm

I am pretty confident that he wore 66 in his final season at Laval, other than that, your version is the same version I have always read.
lowedog
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Slick, Arnold on Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:11 pm

lowedog wrote:I am pretty confident that he wore 66 in his final season at Laval, other than that, your version is the same version I have always read.

Confirmed

http://www.lhjmq.qc.ca/navcache/getcontents.php?currentpath=/root/historique/HST_LemieuxMario_1984.jpg
Slick, Arnold
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby JDJ8766 on Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:29 pm

TaraO wrote:Me again

Does anyone know why he hasnt be in team Canada between 1987 and 2002 ? :?

He didn't play in the 1988, 1992 or 1994 olympics because they occured during the NHL regular season. The NHL didn't have a break for the olympics until 1998 and he was retired by then.
JDJ8766
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:20 am

FuturePens wrote:I like how you apologize for not speaking English very well...but in reality you seem to speak better than many American posters on this board...

definitely better than most pittsburghers
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby longtimefan on Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:50 am

TaraO wrote:Thanks a lot for all these answer !

I've got other questions (apart for the pics :cry: ) : do you know if Lemieux was offered opportunities to play in other team ? You said that I wore the 27 then the 66. Some one know why he chose the 27 ?

Stictly from memory, I believe the #27 was in deference to his favorite player growing up, Frank Mahovlich.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby rosey6629 on Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:34 pm

JDJ8766 wrote:
TaraO wrote:Me again

Does anyone know why he hasnt be in team Canada between 1987 and 2002 ? :?

He didn't play in the 1988, 1992 or 1994 olympics because they occured during the NHL regular season. The NHL didn't have a break for the olympics until 1998 and he was retired by then.

NHL Players weren't playing in the Olympics until 1998 in Nagano. As for World Championships, most of those years, the Pens were in the playoffs, and the rosters are made up of (mostly) players whose NHL teams didn't make the playoffs or were knocked out early.
rosey6629
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:49 pm

longtimefan wrote:

I've got other questions (apart for the pics :cry: ) : do you know if Lemieux was offered opportunities to play in other team ? You said that I wore the 27 then the 66. Some one know why he chose the 27 ?

Stictly from memory, I believe the #27 was in deference to his favorite player growing up, Frank Mahovlich.

I thought his boyhood idol was Guy Lafleur?
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby crzymike on Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:01 am

netwolf wrote:
longtimefan wrote:

I thought his boyhood idol was Guy Lafleur?
It was, He stated so many times.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby rosey6629 on Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:02 am

ya, where the hell did Frank Mahovilich come from?
rosey6629
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:54 pm

rosey6629 wrote:ya, where the hell did Frank Mahovilich come from?

The answer to this is very simple. Mario was born in 1965. He started playing youth hockey before the age of 5. That would be 1970. Guy Lafleur, who ultimately became his favorite player, did not enter the NHL until 1971-72. He was not playing when Mario started his youth career.

At the time, Jean Belevieu was wearing number 4 in Montreal, the same number worn by Bobby Orr in Boston. Frank Mahovlich, one of the all time greats, was traded to the Canadiens in 1970. Mario would have been going on 5. He chose the number 27 in deference to Frank Mahovlich, who, along with Belevieu, were his favorite player at the time.

No doubt Lafleur became his all time favorite, but he was not playing in the NHL until after Mario chose #27. He chose the number of a favorite player at that time.

This information was something I read in a Lemieux biography several years ago. Unfortunately, I do not have access to the book. It was printed back in 1993. If you can find the book, you can easily confirm what I'm saying. I don't remeber every specific detail, but I do remember enough to be almost certain of his reason for choosing #27.

As a youth, I loved #21 Keith McCreary, followed by #10 Pierre Larouche. They were my favorites at that time. Since then, #66 has supplanted those numbers. This #87 is kind of intrigueing me right now.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:37 pm

I haven't been able to locate the specifics of the book I was referring to, but came across this on the internet, and thought it might help you out. Lots of links, some pretty detailed information.

http://www.google.com/Top/Sports/Hockey ... ux,_Mario/

My favorite quote was found here.

http://www.angelfire.com/sports/marioreport/

This was definitely in the book I read, as I remember grinning when reading it originally.

Hockey Beginnings

Mario was taken for his first skating lesson when he was three years old. Like thousands of children before him he had to learn how to skate and to play hockey from scratch. During his first years on skates Mario skated under the watchful eye of coach Fernand Fichaud. One year after his first hesitant steps onto the ice when he still was only four years old Mario showed Fichaud such a specular move that a dozen years later the moment still sparkles as bright as a diamond in the memory of the coach. He recalls the play began with Mario taking the puck and skating around two or three defenders. Those moves around his opponents showed nice skating and puck-handling abilities. Mario skated in alone on the goalie, shifting his body and the puck from side to side until the goalie was pulled into the empty net and raised his stick in glee. Somehow, without ever having been taught the maneuver, Mario had deked out the goaltender.

If I find the specifics about Mahovlich and #27, I will post them.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:40 pm

Here's another spin on Mario wearing number 27. Although Mahovlich, known as the Big M, was one of the preeminent players during Mario's youngest days, and cited as a very early hero, perhaps this explaination is more in line with how a very young player would think. The most influential player in Mario's career, although certainly not the most glamourous.

http://www.hockeycentral.co.uk/mario/html/recaps.html

Here's the explanatrion:

Oddly, the sweater bears No. 10 - his usual numbers were 12 and 27, the same as big brother Alain - and this name between the shoulder blades: M. Lemieux. Seems there was a snarling little all-star on that same team by the name of Claude Lemieux, now a reviled winger with the Colorado Avalanche.

The 15-year-old wunderkind was drafted with the first pick overall in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League - by cellar-dwelling les Voisins du Laval.

Gretzky, by then a two-time NHL scoring champion, was teasing his agents, "You tell your kid he'd better wake up early if he's going to take over from me."

This was where the number came up.

Perno remembers it happening this way, during a summertime 1981 train ride to Gretzky's golf tournament in Brantford, Ontario:

"I want to wear 27," Lemieux said. Again, big brother Alain's number.

"Well, family's family," Perno replied. "You both have careers. They should be separate and distinct. Protect your family."

"What number do you think I should wear, then?"

"Mario, I think you're going to be one of the best players of all time. To me, the best player of all time is Wayne Gretzky."

"OK, I'll take 99."

"No, don't do that. I don't think it's fair to Wayne, and it's not fair to you. There's only one Wayne Gretzky, and only one Mario Lemieux. Why not 66,?' It's 99 upside down. People will compare you to Wayne, but they won't criticize you."

Perno recalls half a Lemieux lifetime later: "In a way, it was a soft comparison to Wayne. But it was more of a marketing thing at the time."

Who could possibly be a bigger hero to him as a 5 to 10 year old then his older brother, who went on to have a modest NHL career himself.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:43 am

TaraO,

You know, once you've put the page together you may want to reach out to the Penguins PR / marketing department with a letter asking for conformation of the facts.

It's fairly standard practice for those writing unauthorized biographies to submit them to the subject. Most times, if the biographies aren't prejudicial (read negative), the subject will more often than not, respond to any glaring errors or inconsistencies.

In his earlier days, Mario was not one to seek the spotlight, but when he knew the project was going forward anyway, he willingly participated for the sake of accuracy.

In recent years, Mario has highly encouraged Sidney Crosby to work on high publicity projects for the sake of the team, the NHL, and Sid himself. I'm sure he's more than aware of how offering you a little time and assistance, even if through third parties, would be in his best interest.

It certainly can't hurt to reach out to the Penguins PR staff.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins