Crosby practiced today

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Crosby practiced today

Postby letsgopens87 on Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:19 pm

Went down to Southpointe to watch the open practice and Sid was out there sans the no-contact jersey. Took part in every drill. There was a moment during the one-on-one drill where Letang brought him down, but he got up with no issues. He worked on the PP with Malkin, Gonchar, Sykora, and Malone...
letsgopens87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pcm on Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:25 pm

Awesome to hear he's practing. Was he playing the left point on the PP?
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby netwolf on Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:26 pm

I was there as well. If you were watching that session not knowing he was rehabbing an injury, you'd never have known he was hurt. He looked fine. He looked like himself out there from everything I saw.

During one of the defensive zone drills, he d'ed up Laraque in the slot. BGL was carrying the puck and leaning into him pretty good, but Crosby stayed right on him and didn't get pushed around at all. His ankle certainly showed no signs of weakness there.

FWIW, MT had the forwards jumbled around a bit:

Malone-Crosby-Armstrong
Staal-Malkin-Sykora
Taffe-Talbot-Kennedy
Ruutu-Smith-Laraque
Minard-James

Defense pairings were the same as they have been for a while:

Scuderi-Gonchar
Sydor-Whitney
Orpik-Letang
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby cs6687 on Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:28 pm

Viva la Sid! Awesome to hear that he's healing so quickly. The rest of the East should go out and buy some KY cream, because they're about to take it.
cs6687
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby letsgopens87 on Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:32 pm

pcm wrote:Awesome to hear he's practing. Was he playing the left point on the PP?

Yes. I didn't have the best viewpoint of it, but they seemed to rotate to a triangle. Sid on the left, Gonchar in the middle, Malkin on the right, with Malone and Sykora in front.
letsgopens87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve on Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:40 pm

awesome, and thanks for the updates.

Did anyone notice if he was doing hockey-stops without any problems? I'm guessing that will be a good indication that he's getting close...
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby netwolf on Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:42 pm

letsgopens87 wrote:
pcm wrote:Awesome to hear he's practing. Was he playing the left point on the PP?

Yes. I didn't have the best viewpoint of it, but they seemed to rotate to a triangle. Sid on the left, Gonchar in the middle, Malkin on the right, with Malone and Sykora in front.

Yeah, they had Gonchar at center point, Malkin and Crosby were at the tops of the circles. Usually Malkin was on the right and Sid on the left, but they switched around on occasion. Malone was always in the slot and Sykora went to one side of the net or the other. The #1 option seems to be setting up Malkin for a one-timer from the right circle.

In some of the line drills, Sykora and Malkin were working that give and go, usually getting Malkin a good shot from the circle. It's a good play.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mark6699 on Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:26 pm

Buddy of mine has contacts w/ Pens - so take or leave the following - there is nothing I can give you to back it up other than he is almost always accurate with his info - he was told Crosby is planning on playing next week. He told me this a few days ago and the fact that Crosby praticed today without the yellow jersey seems to back it up.
mark6699
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:37 pm

Its not that hard to believe that, thats not that far ahead of a 6-8 week time frame. Especially if he is participating in full practices now.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jesse on Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:39 pm

I said March 2, 2008. I think I might have been a little late. I bet he's back by the road-stand that happens just before that. Around 9 days from now.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby dman66 on Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:22 pm

i was there as well. sid looked fine. hoping he comes back soon
the one drill, everyone got a ood laugh when whitney hit bgl coming down the wing.
very interesting configuration with the powerplay. can't wait to see how it works in a game situation
dman66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Ron` on Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:38 pm

I'm jealous, I'd have much rather watched the practice than the game in WBS last night. :(
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jasmine on Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:41 pm

I was there today, too, and was told that Sid would play tomorrow!:shock: I must have just looked too gullible.
I do agree with other observers that Sid looked perfectly "normal" out there . . . skating like nothing wrong.
Jasmine
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Raab711 on Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:00 pm

so when is he expected back? i'd imagine its gotta be soon i mean he was pulling the trainer around the ice...at 20 years old he should be pretty well healed
Raab711
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pcm on Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:20 pm

dman66 wrote:i was there as well. sid looked fine. hoping he comes back soon
the one drill, everyone got a ood laugh when whitney hit bgl coming down the wing.
very interesting configuration with the powerplay. can't wait to see how it works in a game situation

Philly (#1 PP) plays Richards at the left point, with two guys hanging around the net.

With the Pens, Malkin and Gonchar will be the triggerman. Malkin circling around the right boards, Gonchar at the point of the umbrella. Sid will be deadly at the left point with options to hit Sykora down low, or Malkin on the right.

Very interesting to see Coach T trying Staal back on the wing with Malkin. As much as I like Staal developing his shutdown center capabilities, it doesn't hurt to have him as an option on the wing for more scoring support. Against teams weaker teams (like Boston, Carolina) this is probably more important than a shutdown center, who would be more effective against the likes of Ottawa, Tampa Bay.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby crzymike on Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:35 pm

netwolf wrote:I was there as well. If you were watching that session not knowing he was rehabbing an injury, you'd never have known he was hurt. He looked fine. He looked like himself out there from everything I saw.

During one of the defensive zone drills, he d'ed up Laraque in the slot. BGL was carrying the puck and leaning into him pretty good, but Crosby stayed right on him and didn't get pushed around at all. His ankle certainly showed no signs of weakness there.

Malone-Crosby-Armstrong
Staal-Malkin-Sykora
Taffe-Talbot-Kennedy
Ruutu-Smith-Laraque
Minard-James

Scuderi-Gonchar
Sydor-Whitney
Orpik-Letang
If those would be the lines I guess we could live with them. I think Malone works well with Geno but Staal has also worked well in the past with him (Geno). I wouldnt be surprised if Sid came back against Ottawa next week.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby louie on Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:18 pm

Why does Therrien love to kill chemistry...
louie
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby netwolf on Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:50 pm

Steve wrote:awesome, and thanks for the updates.

Did anyone notice if he was doing hockey-stops without any problems? I'm guessing that will be a good indication that he's getting close...

Stops and starts were fine. For me though, the biggest indicator was watching him defend BGL. Laraque was leaning into him pretty good and Crosby wasn't budging. In addition to a low center of gravity, you have to have excellent strength on your skates to do that.

mark6699 wrote:Buddy of mine has contacts w/ Pens - so take or leave the following - there is nothing I can give you to back it up other than he is almost always accurate with his info - he was told Crosby is planning on playing next week. He told me this a few days ago and the fact that Crosby praticed today without the yellow jersey seems to back it up.

Jasmine wrote:I was there today, too, and was told that Sid would play tomorrow!:shock: I must have just looked too gullible.
I do agree with other observers that Sid looked perfectly "normal" out there . . . skating like nothing wrong.

I didn't hear any predictions and I'm not about to make any, but if he did play tomorrow or next week, I wouldn't be surprised in the least. 8-)
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby crzymike on Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:56 pm

Saturday against Ottawa or sooner, Sid will be back.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Profiler on Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:22 pm

crzymike wrote:
netwolf wrote:I was there as well. If you were watching that session not knowing he was rehabbing an injury, you'd never have known he was hurt. He looked fine. He looked like himself out there from everything I saw.

Malone-Crosby-Armstrong
Staal-Malkin-Sykora
Taffe-Talbot-Kennedy
Ruutu-Smith-Laraque
Minard-James

Scuderi-Gonchar
Sydor-Whitney
Orpik-Letang
If those would be the lines I guess we could live with them. I think Malone works well with Geno but Staal has also worked well in the past with him (Geno). I wouldnt be surprised if Sid came back against Ottawa next week.

I could live with these lines. I would really like to see the Geno-Malone-Sykora line stay together though.
Profiler

Postby crzymike on Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:27 pm

Profiler wrote:
crzymike wrote:

Malone-Crosby-Armstrong
Staal-Malkin-Sykora
Taffe-Talbot-Kennedy
Ruutu-Smith-Laraque
Minard-James

Scuderi-Gonchar
Sydor-Whitney
Orpik-Letang

I could live with these lines. I would really like to see the Geno-Malone-Sykora line stay together though.
I would as well but at least those lines make some sense. If MT would use those top six properly and give each line 20 plus minutes, then the very best players get the ice time most optimal in helping the team achieve success.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ulf on Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:09 pm

Malone-Crosby-Armstrong
Staal-Malkin-Sykora
Taffe-Talbot-Kennedy
Ruutu-Smith-Laraque
Minard-James

Scuderi-Gonchar
Sydor-Whitney
Orpik-Letang

These are decent even though I'd rather see the Malkin line not split up...other than that, I would rather see Kennedy switch with Army...
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby crzymike on Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:13 pm

ulf wrote:

Malone-Crosby-Armstrong
Staal-Malkin-Sykora
Taffe-Talbot-Kennedy
Ruutu-Smith-Laraque
Minard-James

Scuderi-Gonchar
Sydor-Whitney
Orpik-Letang

These are decent even though I'd rather see the Malkin line not split up...other than that, I would rather see Kennedy switch with Army...
Thats not a bad suggestion at all. TK had a solid game against the Canes, has speed to burn and his hands are far superior to Colby's. If the kid isnt intimidated playing full time with Sid, I'd certainly give him a few games there.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby crzymike on Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:18 pm

When everyone is healthy upfront and barring trades this is what I'd consider

Staal-Sid-TK
Malone-Geno-Sykora
Roberts-Max-Armstrong
Ruutu-EC-BGL

Taffe would be my first choice if there was an injury.
crzymike
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pcm on Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:21 pm

crzymike wrote:When everyone is healthy upfront and barring trades this is what I'd consider

Staal-Sid-TK
Malone-Geno-Sykora
Roberts-Max-Armstrong
Ruutu-EC-BGL

Taffe would be my first choice if there was an injury.

What happened to Christensen?
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins