My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges

Postby Ben Klingston on Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:13 pm

Now that the Pens run is over, I'm trying to keep my mind on other things to look forward to... baby steps.

Anyone else picking up/downloading (legally, of course) MMJ's new 'Evil Urges' (on sale 6/10)?

I haven't looked forward to an album release this much since Pearl Jam's last one.

Evil Urges explores new sound once again, with the title track having a very Prince-ish type sound to it. (YouTubed from Coachella at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLijgIBzhE0)

Yet they stay in touch with their roots and sound from their last studio album, Z, with 'I'm Amazed' (also at Coachella http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-BKvYgrPC0)

The rest of the album sounds very experimental and not exactly as hook-y and the above two songs, but I'm really looking forward to it.

Oh, and anyone who plays a Flying V is cool. But Jim James plays it like few others, which means he's even cooler.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:56 pm

Yes, I am excited about this one. "Z" has been one of my favorite albums of the last few years.

Also, if you like MMJ...give Band of Horses a try. Very similar sound.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Ben Klingston on Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:35 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Yes, I am excited about this one. "Z" has been one of my favorite albums of the last few years.

:wink: Already on the Band of Horses bandwagon. 'Ode to the LRC' is fantastic.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Troy Loney on Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:02 am

Ben Klingston wrote:
Digitalgypsy66 wrote:Yes, I am excited about this one. "Z" has been one of my favorite albums of the last few years.

The song Funeral still blows me away, BOH is a band that was all over publications and I had never heard, and after a while i finally caved in, and they totally exceeded my expectations.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:03 am

I think one big holiday is still my favortie MMJ song. It's impossible not to like off the record though.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Ben Klingston on Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:24 am

Troy Loney wrote:
Ben Klingston wrote:

The song Funeral still blows me away, BOH is a band that was all over publications and I had never heard, and after a while i finally caved in, and they totally exceeded my expectations.

Same here... caved and bought their newest, then went back and bought their old stuff.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Ben Klingston on Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:26 am

Troy Loney wrote:I think one big holiday is still my favortie MMJ song. It's impossible not to like off the record though.

One Big Holiday is probably my favorite also.... just an epic. Run Thru was named one of the top 100 guitar songs of all time in the latest Rolling Stone.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to NHR