Ron Cook - Why Does He Even Try To Write Hockey?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Ron Cook - Why Does He Even Try To Write Hockey?

Postby Realist on Tue May 08, 2018 8:31 pm

If you are Ron Cook, and you have been proven that you know nothing about hockey for 20 years, why write this article:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ron- ... 1805080053
Realist
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Ron Cook - Why Does He Even Try To Write Hockey?

Postby ejd43 on Tue May 08, 2018 8:53 pm

Not a fan of ron cook. His sports show on 93.7 is awful. Poni is pretty good i might add, but Ron cook needs to quit trying to cover hockey. His views and dribble he writes is comical. In fact, wasnt he the one that started the trade kessel rumors last summer?
ejd43
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RentedMule66 on Tue May 08, 2018 9:10 pm

I remember an article he wrote back in either 91 or 92 (too lazy to look it up) when we were losing to the Caps 3-1 and he literally wrote a postmortem on the team. He wrote how the series and season was now over and how much of a disgrace they were. We came back to win the series and the cup and after each series win wrote how great the team was. I was in my 20's back then and remembered, I'll never read Ron Cook again after that article where he said the season was over and the team was basically a bunch of losers. Then he changes his tune after we come back and win. He's an idiot.
RentedMule66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Durbano on Tue May 08, 2018 9:20 pm

I am baffled that any local columnist could miss the mark so badly.

Actually, I'm baffled that anyone who covers sports could be so far off.

A lower-seeded team battling injuries and an unprecedented amount of fatigue blew it? The first back-to-back champions in the cap era won't ever forget this one? Good grief. The Pens' postgame reactions very obviously showed that while they're disappointed, they basically knew they were running on fumes and weren't all that surprised.

Plus, let's face it, they probably wouldn't have won more than a game against Tampa. And even though pro athletes don't think like this, they likely had more than an inkling that that'd be the case.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby interstorm on Wed May 09, 2018 7:40 am

I only scanned this just to see how idiotic it was (plenty). First off, as said above -- this team was going to have a difficult time in rounds 3 and 4 even if they got by the Caps. Tampa is going to be a challenge and whomever comes out of the West is going to be just as much, if not more, of a tougher opponent. Since the Pens have been playing middle of the road hockey for awhile (forget against Philly -- they were only a playoff team because the rules stated so. Our performance against them was most of a statement on how much further Philly still has to go) the expectations for them shouldn't have been there. In fact -- ESPN had an article prior to the start of the playoffs that had picks for round / conference / cup winners. Literally NOBODY picked the Pens to even win their conference...so their loss is not much of a surprise.

It is tough to woulda-coulda-shoulda on the past when later we won back to back cups -- that kinda fixes the problems of the past and maybe shows that certain failures were indeed learning experiences. That being said -- 2012 is the season that I'd say players would feel the sting of that loss for years to come. All of the recent injuries that they endured and finally everyone was healthy again -- this season appeared to have the "It's Dynasty Time" feel to it...the party was just starting but they emotionally caved in against the Flyers. They WERE the better team -- no doubt about it -- but couldn't "Just Play" and got sucked into the Flyer's shenanigans. Losing that first game after being up 3-0 after 20 minutes...that exposed a flaw in the team that, in my opinion, later became a strength. Until that strength was discovered and until they won back to back cups, however, THAT season was the one to take to their graves.

I actually think now that the 3-peat story is over, the players will clear out their locker with a cloud of disappointment hanging over them. They'll all get away, relax and reflect. I would hope as the sting of this loss to Washington fades with time, the emotion they feel the most is PRIDE. These guys have done an amazing job and solidified their legacy in NHL history...something nobody can ever take away from them.

Thing is, too, PRIDE can be a great fuel for next year. While that 3-peat story may be over, the book isn't done being written...
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Wed May 09, 2018 8:00 am

Disappointment is the right word but I thought if we brought out A game we would have advanced only because this Caps team is not that good. But I would have never picked us to get past Tampa so ultimately I’m fine losing now to get the rest and when we play the Caps again the whole story line of them never getting past the Pens in the Crosby era is all put to bed now.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Badger Bob on Wed May 09, 2018 8:34 am

And speaking of Pittsburgh sports columnist clowns, where the hell has Rossi been? I was hoping he'd go after Trotz again after Tom Wilson pulled his head hunting B.S. Rossi has been conspicuously quiet this season and playoffs. He usually likes to stir up controversy by saying dumb things or calling people on the carpet. Maybe he's too busy making Dilly Bars at the DQ.

So the Pens loss is on him! :evil:

BTW, 169 comments under Ron Cook's column as of this morning. 98% of them against his article. :D
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Skatingpen on Wed May 09, 2018 9:30 am

Why he may not be th best writer, some of his points are valid. This Pens team did not play all year consistently and with their biggest asset, speed. A lot of players just did not play well in the post season, Letang, Malkin, kessel, Rust, Sheary, brassard, Murray. some may have been injuries but some were just bad performances.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Southern Fan on Wed May 09, 2018 10:14 am

So the Flyers were like the 1980 Russian Olympic team and the Caps were like Finland.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Risto on Wed May 09, 2018 2:30 pm

Cook has had that job for a hundred years, so I guess he's good at getting eyeballs on his columns, if nothing else.

I remember when Cook, Bob Smizik and Gene Collier were the sports columnists at the old Pittsburgh Press, with Cook being the lesser of the three by far (this is before Smizik faded into his demented later years).

Yeah, it's cringe-worthy when he talks or writes about hockey. Cook is an old, oooold school Steelers/Pirates/Pitt guy who got dragged kicking and screaming into hockey when the Pens became relevant in the 90s.
Risto
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby IntangibleBeer on Wed May 09, 2018 5:28 pm

What Ron Cook knows about hockey would fit comfortably in a styrofoam cup and rattle like a BB in a box car. :thumbdown:

In 2008 after the Pens' loss to Detroit, he wrote a ridiculous column saying the Penguins would never be in the Stanley Cup final again.

Obviously, he was correct. :face:

The man is an idiot, pure and simple. He's kind of like a 12 year old, doing columns like this to get attention. What a :slug:
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Realist on Wed May 09, 2018 6:10 pm

IntangibleBeer wrote: The man is an idiot, pure and simple. He's kind of like a 12 year old, doing columns like this to get attention. What a :slug:

That's what I don't get more than ANYTHING!! His sports columns either repeat what is already opinionated or written by other local sports guys or it is a 12 yr old child's point of view of the world.

He wrote, when Plexico Burress illegally had a gun in a nightclub: "why would anyone take a gun into a public place?"

Although what Buress did was illegal, he forgot about the 2nd amendment apparently. The other stuff he writes are cookie cutter articles that any yinzer with a computer could write.

Say what you want about Zeiss, Madden, DK, Yohe, Mackey, Starkey, etc, But at least they come up with original, non child like analysis of the world. Its like the man never was taught to grow up and think on his own?
Last edited by Realist on Fri May 11, 2018 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Realist
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby battleship kelly on Wed May 09, 2018 11:35 pm

Don't read that morons writings or listen to this imbecile on the radio.
battleship kelly
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jim on Thu May 10, 2018 7:08 am

Madden was in full Dbag mode yesterday. Flip-flopping all over the place just to keep his shtick going.

One guy called in saying that the Pens need a top D, Maddedn called him names and said that the pens only need a #6 ttype guy, or a #5... you moron, yadda yadda yadda. Then two callers late someone mentioned getting someone more like Cole, not offensive but solid D. Madden started into him with what are you talking about, Cole was a bottom pair guy you know, you people are all stupid, yadda yadda yadda. So which is it Madden? The Pens need a 5/6 guy (a bottom pair guy) or is it stupid to go for a bottom pair guy (you know, a 5/6 guy)?

Such a git.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby LimerickPensFan on Thu May 10, 2018 9:02 am

Madden's job is to be outrageous.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby penny lane on Thu May 10, 2018 9:14 am

I was done with the PG when they made Dave Molinari cover penn state football.
Cook won this week- everybody talking about him.

Do people study journalism? Or just blog? Writers like Michael Farber, Frank Deford; I don't know if they exist. I like Dejan's writing, but many do not.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: “Some people are so much sunshine to the square inch.” ~WW

Postby Faubert5 on Thu May 10, 2018 9:53 am

penny lane wrote:I was done with the PG when they made Dave Molinari cover penn state football.

Do people study journalism? Or just blog? Writers like Michael Farber, Frank Deford; I don't know if they exist. I like Dejan's writing, but many do not.

I think more people like his writing than like him. I just read his stuff and I like it. How he gets along with other people isn't an issue for me.
Faubert5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - don't want any association with the Predators.

Postby Badger Bob on Wed May 23, 2018 10:17 am

He's at it again:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ron- ... 1805230076

Dear Jebus, this guy is turrible. He needs to be banned from writing about hockey.

Better yet, he should just retire.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Wed May 23, 2018 10:31 am

penny lane wrote:I was done with the PG when they made Dave Molinari cover penn state football.

I stopped for awhile with the PG, but I do like Jason Mackey's work covering the Penguins. I was and always will be a fan of Dave Molinari and his dry humor covering hockey, and I let him know it often.

I used to love DK's writing. I thought his perspective was usually spot on and his writing was great. But everything went down hill about a year after he got his site. He wrote less and less about hockey, and just became an absolute jerk (maybe he always was and I never saw it). He lost me as a customer and a long-time fan of his writing.

I've never liked Ron Cook, because 80% of Ron Cook's work seems to take the negative narrative. I don't read him often, maybe only a few times a year, but that is my general assessment of his work. He always finds a negative narrative to take with a situation and runs with that. It's the same thing that happened with Rob Rossi. Rossi was a good Penguins beat reporter, but when Dejan left the Trib, Rossi was forced into the role of columnist, which he was unfamiliar with, and he too became a negative narrative writer. It doesn't work well. Just like it is well known Rutherford and Rossi are not too chummy, I wouldn't bet many local sports outlets are fans of Cook's work either.

Yohe, Mackey, Bombulie, Gajtka and especially Molinari have all been great, IMO. I've asked a lot of questions to those guys, and even offered differing opinions from theirs, and they are all generally willing to respond, converse, and actually talk hockey with me. I don't know why, but I always get a kick out of Molinari in that he always Direct Messages on Twitter. I picture him as the older guy who isn't as tech saavy, but then again, maybe he just does it to not clutter up his Twitter feed.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Wed May 23, 2018 10:33 am

Badger Bob wrote:He's at it again:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ron- ... 1805230076

Dear Jebus, this guy is turrible. He needs to be banned from writing about hockey.

Better yet, he should just retire.

Just posted about it in the post above that I don't really care for his work.......but......I also just posted in the Summer Plan thread that Cook isn't the only one touting this narrative. There are several in the Pittsburgh media that say the feeling they get from the Penguins is that Kessel put his own personal streak above the team.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Badger Bob on Wed May 23, 2018 10:53 am

A good percentage of Pittsburgh sports media is about trying to stir up emotion from their listeners and readers. It's their way of attempting to improve ratings.

And shame on team management if they allowed Kessel's ironman streak be the sole reason for him not getting some rest to help him recover from some the injuries he evidently experienced during the regular season. How is that Phil's fault? If Sullivan was aware of Phil's mounting injuries, then it's his job as coach to make him sit.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pruezy11881 on Wed May 23, 2018 11:05 am

Badger Bob wrote:A good percentage of Pittsburgh sports media is about trying to stir up emotion from their listeners and readers. It's their way of attempting to improve ratings.

And shame on team management if they allowed Kessel's ironman streak be the sole reason for him not getting some rest to help him recover from some the injuries he evidently experienced during the regular season. How is that Phil's fault? If Sullivan was aware of Phil's mounting injuries, then it's his job as coach to make him sit.

Just playing devils advocate...

If Phil wasn't truthful about what his injuries were and was keeping them secret for the sake of the streak, how wouldn't that be Kessel's fault?
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby LimerickPensFan on Wed May 23, 2018 11:10 am

Pruezy11881 wrote:
Badger Bob wrote:A good percentage of Pittsburgh sports media is about trying to stir up emotion from their listeners and readers. It's their way of attempting to improve ratings.

If Phil wasn't truthful about what his injuries were and was keeping them secret for the sake of the streak, how wouldn't that be Kessel's fault?

It is for the first game. After that, he needs to prove to you on the ice at practice/morning skate that he's capable.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pruezy11881 on Wed May 23, 2018 11:15 am

LimerickPensFan wrote:
Pruezy11881 wrote:

It is for the first game. After that, he needs to prove to you on the ice at practice/morning skate that he's capable.

I would think that it would be a tough line to tow if you are going to scratch him just because he isn't producing how you think he should. Is the player really hurt or just in a funk? If he's is slumping and you scratch him to end the streak because you think it's an injury, then I feel that would open up another can of worms. Just me though...
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Badger Bob on Wed May 23, 2018 11:20 am

Pruezy11881 wrote:

If you believe Ron Cook, Sullivan and Kessel discussed his late season injuries frequently.

Anyhow, Josh Yohe has a pretty good Twitter thread on his Twitter account. He's mad that all of Pittsburgh media gets lumped together as garbage when something like Cook's article is published:

If someone writes an article you don’t like, why does the entire Pittsburgh media get lumped in? “Pittsburgh media is trash." I didn't write it. Mackey didn't write it. Bombulie didn't write it. I assure you there are other cities that are far worse.

Here! Here! Josh! I say, shame on me and any others that got pulled in by Cook's hook story headline. I should have known that the article would be garbage. But it's like a wreck on the highway. You can't help but slow down and look.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins