Pens sign Finnish Dman - Juuso Riikola

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Pens sign Finnish Dman - Juuso Riikola

Postby Penspal on Fri May 18, 2018 8:26 am

A 24 yr old Finnish Dman who played in the Finnish Elite league

https://www.tsn.ca/penguins-agree-with-finnish-d-riikola-1.1088479

Ollie's buddy perhaps?

Don't care, until I see otherwise, he's equal to Matt Hunwick..... :P
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Pens sign Finnish Dman - Juuso Riikola

Postby OKpensfan247 on Fri May 18, 2018 9:21 am

Whoops, just now saw this. Thx Penspal. I deleted my new topic.

Anyone know anything on this guy?
OKpensfan247
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Fri May 18, 2018 10:11 am

I kind of hear he's meh. I think in the end, he will be a depth AHL guy. I had heard rumors that Bengtsson was going to go back to Sweden, and just saw something from @NHLRosters that Bengtsson has indeed signed with Linkoping HC of the SHL. Bengtsson was an RFA.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby lemieuxReturns on Fri May 18, 2018 2:58 pm

I am always fine with free assets.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby OKpensfan247 on Sat May 19, 2018 2:11 pm

Tough loss in Bengtsson. I mean, due to his lime disease, he only got to play 16 and 37 games the last two years and only reported 0 goals and 15 assists last year in AHL... So it's not like he was killing it at AHL level, but man he had so much promise with his skating, shot, and RHD depth.

Too bad. Best of luck to him.
OKpensfan247
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pekkasteele on Sun May 20, 2018 4:18 am

FLPensFan wrote:I kind of hear he's meh. I think in the end, he will be a depth AHL guy. I had heard rumors that Bengtsson was going to go back to Sweden, and just saw something from @NHLRosters that Bengtsson has indeed signed with Linkoping HC of the SHL. Bengtsson was an RFA.

Yea, I posted a Swedish article in the thread about our RFA and UFAs where they say he will probably sign for LHC, but the GM did not confirm it so it is still not official.
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Sun May 20, 2018 9:55 am

OKpensfan247 wrote:Tough loss in Bengtsson. I mean, due to his lime disease, he only got to play 16 and 37 games the last two years and only reported 0 goals and 15 assists last year in AHL... So it's not like he was killing it at AHL level, but man he had so much promise with his skating, shot, and RHD depth.

From a few things I read after he signed in Sweden a few days ago, seems his game was just not translating well to North America.

I'm betting we see Ethan Prow gone next, as this guy had a lot of hype and was a decent coup getting him as a college UFA. I hear almost nothing about him anymore. He's 25, got almost 100 games at the AHL level. Doesn't seem like he is going to make any impact at the NHL level.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pens_CT on Sun May 20, 2018 11:29 am

FLPensFan wrote:
OKpensfan247 wrote:Tough loss in Bengtsson. I mean, due to his lime disease, he only got to play 16 and 37 games the last two years and only reported 0 goals and 15 assists last year in AHL... So it's not like he was killing it at AHL level, but man he had so much promise with his skating, shot, and RHD depth.

From a few things I read after he signed in Sweden a few days ago, seems his game was just not translating well to North America.

I'm betting we see Ethan Prow gone next, as this guy had a lot of hype and was a decent coup getting him as a college UFA. I hear almost nothing about him anymore. He's 25, got almost 100 games at the AHL level. Doesn't seem like he is going to make any impact at the NHL level.

When you look at defensemen who were true free agents (never drafted) the list of guys who have made a name for themselves at the NHL level is pretty small over the last 5 to 8 years. I could only come up with Dekeyser for the Wings, Nate Schmidt now with Vegas, and to a lesser extent Lovejoy. Based on that I'm not expected much with Riikola beyond AHL depth.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins