Want to know more about NHL-CHL transfer agreement...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Want to know more about NHL-CHL transfer agreement...

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:03 pm

....per request of Puck-Lurker, you can find out more here: https://randomhockeyguy.wordpress.com/2018/08/20/understanding-the-nhl-chl-transfer-agreement-and-impact-on-ahl-assignment/
There are a few interesting Penguins tidbits in the article, including one on Sidney Crosby.

I do take requests (especially in mid-August), and feel free to comment here rather than the blog if it is easier for you (like if you don't have a Wordpress account).
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Want to know more about NHL-CHL transfer agreement...

Postby Puck-Lurker on Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:57 pm

Interesting, no prodding from the NHL to change anything. Not exactly as expected. Especially since it is a drafting ground.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:47 pm

Something needs to change here. There are a lot of players who are too good for juniors but not NHL ready at 18 or 19 and Sprong was one of them, Maatta almost was and Letang probably was too.

Have some kind of monetary compensation if a player goes to the AHL but this agreement is stupid in this day and age.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:09 am

DelPen wrote:Something needs to change here. There are a lot of players who are too good for juniors but not NHL ready at 18 or 19 and Sprong was one of them, Maatta almost was and Letang probably was too.

Have some kind of monetary compensation if a player goes to the AHL but this agreement is stupid in this day and age.

There are two big things I learned when doing research for this blog that I did not know before:

1. September 15th is the cutoff for everything age wise in hockey. In the case of the CHL-NHL transfer agreement, it means if you don't turn 20 before September 15th, you cannot play in the AHL season at all (except once your CHL team season and playoffs has ended). Sprong is a good example. He turned 20 on March 17th of 2017. I thought that meant he could have technically left Charlottetown after that date to play for WBS. He could not. Because his 20th birthday was after September 15th, so he had to wait until the end of Charlottetown's season to play in WBS.

2. There does not appear to be any type of exception process for an 18 or 19 year old to play in the AHL. The only exception process that exists happens years before a player is drafted to the NHL. The agreement stipulates a player must be 20 by September 15th OR have played 4 seasons in the CHL. The CHL lower age limit is 16. The only way to play 4 years of CHL hockey and possibly be in the AHL as an 18 or 19 year old is to file an exceptional status request so that the player can play in the CHL at age 15. As mentioned in the article, only 5 players have ever been granted this status. It is really only granted in the OHL, as the WHL and QMJHL have never approved a player who applied (including Crosby).

While a lot of fans, media, and outsiders seem to have an issue with this transfer agreement that started almost 40 years ago, there are no GMs on record that I am aware of that are really vocal about wanting this rule changed or thrown out. I've seen several articles stating "multiple GMs and teams," want it gone, but I have never come across anybody on the record who is in an NHL hockey management position speaking about wanting it altered or removed.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DelPen on Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:31 am

99% of the time the GM's benefit from the rule too because they can leave a player who is signed in the CHL to develop until they have no more eligibility left. This is great for late round draft picks you roll the dice on.

But I really think there has to be some kind of exemption rule where the team can have one underage CHL player in the AHL at a time and compensate the CHL and the individual team. I'm not for universally lowering the age but in a case like Sprong he suffered a lot from this rule.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins