Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Shaking up the Penguins, Part 2

Postby Hatrick on Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:19 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
Pensfan4life8771 wrote:Could we do a trade that sends out Pearson/1st/Prospect for Mcquaid and Zucs from Rangers?

Yup as FLPensfan stated, Mcquaid is really, really bad. Rangers fans hate him.

Guess he is their version of Johnson, only McQuaid is a UFA, while we are stuck with Johnson long term. So id be fine taking one for shoter term if it meant getting rid of the one we have for longer.
Hatrick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:43 pm

Friedman's 31 thoughts with only two small Pittsburgh mentions this week:

--Talks about the big game hunting teams in on guys like Panarin, Stone, Duchene, Dzingel, etc. Mentions that he thinks both Pittsburgh and San Jose would like to be in those discussions, but prior moves prevent them from really having the assets to go for a big name.

--Friedman states that Pittsburgh continued to look at available forwards, prior to Olli Maatta's injury.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ville5 on Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:54 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
Cow_Master66 wrote:Seems the “trade oli” army will get a taste of what it would be like.

Olli

Olly...
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens_CT on Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:24 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Friedman's 31 thoughts with only two small Pittsburgh mentions this week:

--Talks about the big game hunting teams in on guys like Panarin, Stone, Duchene, Dzingel, etc. Mentions that he thinks both Pittsburgh and San Jose would like to be in those discussions, but prior moves prevent them from really having the assets to go for a big name.

--Friedman states that Pittsburgh continued to look at available forwards, prior to Olli Maatta's injury.

Dzingel is a big name? I mean he is having a nice season for a terrible team, but I would have a hard time lumping him together with Panarin and Duchene.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pruezy11881 on Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:29 pm

ville5 wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:
Cow_Master66 wrote:Seems the “trade oli” army will get a taste of what it would be like.

Olli

Olly...

Oxen free?
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ville5 on Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:10 pm

Pruezy11881 wrote:
ville5 wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:

Olli

Olly...

Oxen free?

:-)
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Maestro on Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:11 am

Alex Petrovic?
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:32 am

ville5 wrote:
Pruezy11881 wrote:
ville5 wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:

Olli

Olly...

Oxen free?

:-)

Ollli
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:38 am

Saw on Rotoworld that the Edmonton Sun is reporting that Guerin may be a lead candidate for their open GM spot.

Not really sure if Guerin is considered by the Pens as JR’s eventual replacement?
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Humperdink on Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:03 am

murphydump55 wrote:

Olli

"Spelling had this effect on President Andrew Jackson, who once blew his stack while trying to write a Presidential paper. “It’s a darn poor mind that can think of only one way to spell a word!”

"The original draft of The Great Gatsby (by great writer F. Scott Fitzgerald) contained literally hundreds of spelling mistakes, some of which are still confounding editors. These include “yatch” (instead of “yacht”) and “apon” (instead of “upon”)."
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:55 am

KG wrote:Saw on Rotoworld that the Edmonton Sun is reporting that Guerin may be a lead candidate for their open GM spot.

Not really sure if Guerin is considered by the Pens as JR’s eventual replacement?

Considering they let Botterill go and recently extended Rutherford, I’d say they don’t seem overly concerned. Gramps is their guy.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:48 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
KG wrote:Saw on Rotoworld that the Edmonton Sun is reporting that Guerin may be a lead candidate for their open GM spot.

Considering they let Botterill go and recently extended Rutherford, I’d say they don’t seem overly concerned. Gramps is their guy.

There's been a few reports, Mackey is the one I believe who has said it most, that the Penguins really do not envision Guerin as a Rutherford successor. Heard rumblings that, nothing that he isn't well liked, but maybe just most in the organization aren't on the same page as his opinion.

Not sure if that is the best way to put it, but from what I have heard, Penguins would easily let him walk.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:51 pm

LeBrun is reporting that Wild GM has green light to make trades, even if it means trading away a player that could help them get into the playoffs. The Wild would obviously want some type of prospect or future in return.

I'd be calling Paul Fenton up, asking the cost for Eric Staal. Send them Pearson plus a future....pretty much anything but Addison, Blueger, D'Orio or anyone else off the roster. Pearson and one of Bellerive/Miletic/Angello/Johnson. Clears cap space for next year. I'd even offer both Pearson and Simon if I had to.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby nastystang05 on Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:06 pm

FLPensFan wrote:LeBrun is reporting that Wild GM has green light to make trades, even if it means trading away a player that could help them get into the playoffs. The Wild would obviously want some type of prospect or future in return.

I'd be calling Paul Fenton up, asking the cost for Eric Staal. Send them Pearson plus a future....pretty much anything but Addison, Blueger, D'Orio or anyone else off the roster. Pearson and one of Bellerive/Miletic/Angello/Johnson. Clears cap space for next year. I'd even offer both Pearson and Simon if I had to.

That would be awesome. I would totally trade Simon and Pearson if Eric Staal was coming in return.
nastystang05
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Hatrick on Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:59 pm

Pearson, and either simon and/or pick/prospect for LW rental(now with changes at defense it makes sense for maybe a Defenseman as well) is the most logical trade. Have suggested in the past Pearson+ either Jarry or a mid round pick for Ferland, Pearson plus Simon for Eric Staal would be a trade I would do in a heartbeat if Minnesota would actually do that.
Hatrick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Cow_Master66 on Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:03 pm

nastystang05 wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:LeBrun is reporting that Wild GM has green light to make trades, even if it means trading away a player that could help them get into the playoffs. The Wild would obviously want some type of prospect or future in return.

That would be awesome. I would totally trade Simon and Pearson if Eric Staal was coming in return.

Probably anyone here would. What does that tell you about the offer??
Cow_Master66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby longtimefan on Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:56 am

I just listened to JR's podcast with Josh Getzoff taped before the Oilers game. It appears JR is keeping busy, as you could hear his phone ringing in the background on three separate occasions. He didn't say anything earth shattering, but here's a few highlights.

-The Pens had been after Bjugstad for the last year and a half, but he wasn't the original focal point of the deal. He contacted Tallon about McCann, who he had targeted as the 3C. As they were talking, Tallon expressed his desire to dump some salary in order to make a splash in the off-season, Bjugstad's name entered the conversation. He feels the deal definitely made the team better, and it definitely made them younger. He pointed out the obvious, that Brassard couldn't find a fit here. He also said that McCann was a top nine player, whereas Sheahan was a 4th liner. It was obvious he viewed McCann as much more than a 4th liner. He also liked the fact that both players can play center or wing. He also said he was impressed with the Kessel-Malkin-Bjugstad line in Philly. He definitely views Bjugstad as a top 6 candidate. But he'll leave that up to the coaches. In another article, Bjugstad said he's only played RW and C, but didn't think there was much difference playing LW, except for the outlet passes. Ultimately, JR deferred lineup decisions to the coach. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

-He was also thrilled for Teddy Blueger, mentioning how patient he was in waiting his turn. He also was pleased that Teddy was able to transition to playing on the wing, something he never had done in WBS. He also said they knew he was a very effective penalty killer. As far as staying in the lineup, he was non-committal. Pointing out they have a lot of depth when everybody is healthy, and deferred lineup decisions to the coaching staff.

-He did point out that the landscape for the trade deadline has changed dramatically recently because so many thought to be sellers have gotten back into the race, and have become potential buyers. Under normal circumstances, deadline trades don't come out of nowhere on the final day, although he felt this season may be different, as teams will have to make a final decision quickly on whether to deal players, or hold onto them for a shot at the playoffs. He did mention he once made three deals in fifteen minutes in Carolina on deadline day. The domino effect he called it. He comes by his Trader Jim nickname honestly.

-JR reiterated with conviction that he really likes this team. They just have to come together. He didn't rule out making another deal, but seemed to not really want to. It depends on how the team plays between now and the deadline to see if he feels compelled to make another move. He again said he really doesn't want to trade the #1 pick.

So there you have it from the horses mouth. Or at least GM speak. Although my impression was he was being sincere. I doubt the Pens make anymore significant moves. As he said, they just have to come together. They've got the personnel to compete. He did point out that the recent games against Tampa reinforced his belief in this team.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Humperdink on Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:45 am

longtimefan wrote:I just listened to JR's podcast with Josh Getzoff taped before the Oilers game. It appears JR is keeping busy, as you could hear his phone ringing in the background on three separate occasions. He didn't say anything earth shattering, but here's a few highlights.

-The Pens had been after Bjugstad for the last year and a half, but he wasn't the original focal point of the deal. He contacted Tallon about McCann, who he had targeted as the 3C. As they were talking, Tallon expressed his desire to dump some salary in order to make a splash in the off-season, Bjugstad's name entered the conversation. He feels the deal definitely made the team better, and it definitely made them younger. He pointed out the obvious, that Brassard couldn't find a fit here. He also said that McCann was a top nine player, whereas Sheahan was a 4th liner. It was obvious he viewed McCann as much more than a 4th liner. He also liked the fact that both players can play center or wing. He also said he was impressed with the Kessel-Malkin-Bjugstad line in Philly. He definitely views Bjugstad as a top 6 candidate. But he'll leave that up to the coaches. In another article, Bjugstad said he's only played RW and C, but didn't think there was much difference playing LW, except for the outlet passes. Ultimately, JR deferred lineup decisions to the coach. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

-He was also thrilled for Teddy Blueger, mentioning how patient he was in waiting his turn. He also was pleased that Teddy was able to transition to playing on the wing, something he never had done in WBS. He also said they knew he was a very effective penalty killer. As far as staying in the lineup, he was non-committal. Pointing out they have a lot of depth when everybody is healthy, and deferred lineup decisions to the coaching staff.

-He did point out that the landscape for the trade deadline has changed dramatically recently because so many thought to be sellers have gotten back into the race, and have become potential buyers. Under normal circumstances, deadline trades don't come out of nowhere on the final day, although he felt this season may be different, as teams will have to make a final decision quickly on whether to deal players, or hold onto them for a shot at the playoffs. He did mention he once made three deals in fifteen minutes in Carolina on deadline day. The domino effect he called it. He comes by his Trader Jim nickname honestly.

-JR reiterated with conviction that he really likes this team. They just have to come together. He didn't rule out making another deal, but seemed to not really want to. It depends on how the team plays between now and the deadline to see if he feels compelled to make another move. He again said he really doesn't want to trade the #1 pick.

So there you have it from the horses mouth. Or at least GM speak. Although my impression was he was being sincere. I doubt the Pens make anymore significant moves. As he said, they just have to come together. They've got the personnel to compete. He did point out that the recent games against Tampa reinforced his belief in this team.

Nice summary longtimefan. Thx.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:07 am

Humperdink wrote:
longtimefan wrote:I just listened to JR's podcast with Josh Getzoff taped before the Oilers game. It appears JR is keeping busy, as you could hear his phone ringing in the background on three separate occasions. He didn't say anything earth shattering, but here's a few highlights.

I don't see Rutherford making a deal for a rental involving the Pens 1st round pick. As others have mentioned if you can get some interest in Pearson plus a prospect or two, tben I can see him making a move that helps the team this season.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:08 am

Humperdink wrote:

I don't see Rutherford making a deal for a rental involving the Pens 1st round pick. As others have mentioned if you can get some interest in Pearson plus a prospect or two, tben I can see him making a move that helps the team this season.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sjnhiils on Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:01 am

You said Bjugstad was a better center than wing. Now you want to bring Staal in?
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:28 am

I'd be tempted to stand relatively pat. Rutherford has already turned over a lot of the roster since the beginning of the season:

Hagelin out
Sprong out
Oleksiak out
Sheahan out
Brassard out

Pearson in
Pettersson in
McCann in
Bjugstad in
Blueger in

That's about 20% of the roster, and the team still is hit or miss in their play. I think their season really hinges on key guys who are already here, particularly Malkin and Kessel, raising their game. If those guys play like they can, and Schulz gets back to playing at the top of his game by the playoffs, then they could do some damage. If that doesn't happen, then they are likely one and done or might not even make the playoffs, and I don't think tinkering with the mix of role players alters the equation too much.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:37 am

Agree that Malkin and Kessel need to be better. Schultz also has to shake off the rust and play a top four role by the playoffs. I can see them standing pat, but if they can add a piece that improves their depth without giving up their first round pick then I think he needs to make a move.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ville5 on Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:33 am

sjnhiils wrote:

You said Bjugstad was a better center than wing. Now you want to bring Staal in?

Staal has played alot of LW.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ville5 on Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:40 am

largegarlic wrote:I'd be tempted to stand relatively pat. Rutherford has already turned over a lot of the roster since the beginning of the season:

Hagelin out
Sprong out
Oleksiak out
Sheahan out
Brassard out

Pearson in
Pettersson in
McCann in
Bjugstad in
Blueger in

That's about 20% of the roster, and the team still is hit or miss in their play. I think their season really hinges on key guys who are already here, particularly Malkin and Kessel, raising their game. If those guys play like they can, and Schulz gets back to playing at the top of his game by the playoffs, then they could do some damage. If that doesn't happen, then they are likely one and done or might not even make the playoffs, and I don't think tinkering with the mix of role players alters the equation too much.

I fully expect at least another d-man brought in and possibly a forward.
Schultz will be a question mark for quite awhile. How he handles game situations won't be fully answered in the next 10 days.
While Maata could be back right after, at or near the end of the regular season, there's no guarantee there.
Riikola and Pettersen have both struggled at times in meaningless regular season games. How will the added pressure of the playoffs affect them?
Ruhwedel, if he plays regularly, will be going through training camp since he's sat so dang long.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins