Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins 2017 Stanley Cup Champs Fan Gear and Collectibles

Game 40 vs Rangers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 40 vs Rangers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:49 am

Pens win 7-2

- Lundqvist lost the game for the Rags almost before it was started. Pens are so deep his head from playoffs past. His blue eyes with shaking head on bench :lol:
- Might be Murray's best game of the year. Huge in the first period where it could have been 3-0 Rags
- Sid was his usual dominant self. Camera caught him grinning & shrugging to someone on ice after his goal, curious as to who that was too
- Pearson's shot was perfect and that's why I like him as a shooter on a line
- Rags were soft compared to a few of the previous opponents, I expect our next game against them to be way more gritty - Can you even use the word gritty now?
- Simon looked very good last night on the Malkin line, less wall work and more give and go with speed
- I'm sure a spot will open, but how do you rotate Oleksiak & Schultzie back into this winning lineup? Perhaps Trader GMJR to the rescue?
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Game 40 vs Rangers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Cow_Master66 on Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:06 am

Was surprised to see 9 goals scored considering the ice looked pretty bad, especially along the boards. Thought D did a good job adjusting to taking the pucks off the wall safely knowing the puck could jump right over their sticks.

Rangers looked quicker than usual to me, but LumpQuist never seems to scare anyone on this team.

Good to see Simon and Malkin get on the scoresheet.

Thought Maatta had a real nice game.

Rust looked fast.

Cullen looked good too, but would really like to see him sit more. If he's going to bring any tangible value to this team, it's in the post-season so would like to see him as little as possible in January/February.

ZARs skating work is really starting to pay off. Never thought I'd see the say he'd wave off an icing in a race from the other blue line. Good for him! His Dad's hair is sweet! Hope to see more of him. :pop:
Cow_Master66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby LimerickPensFan on Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:17 am

First game in a long time that Malkin looked like Malkin. Don't know what caused it - maybe the fact that he was playing in honor of people.
Letang looking like he wants to win the last man in for the allstar game.
Pens shooting percentage is through the roof recently.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pruezy11881 on Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:44 am

Won't happen but Kreider would look good on this team...
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:49 am

Pruezy11881 wrote:Won't happen but Kreider would look good on this team...

He would look nice on Geno's wing, but, without a decent amount of salary going out, it won't work.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:58 am

Penspal wrote:Pens win 7-2

- Lundqvist lost the game for the Rags almost before it was started. Pens are so deep his head from playoffs past. His blue eyes with shaking head on bench :lol:
- Might be Murray's best game of the year. Huge in the first period where it could have been 3-0 Rags
- Sid was his usual dominant self. Camera caught him grinning & shrugging to someone on ice after his goal, curious as to who that was too
- Pearson's shot was perfect and that's why I like him as a shooter on a line
- Rags were soft compared to a few of the previous opponents, I expect our next game against them to be way more gritty - Can you even use the word gritty now?
- Simon looked very good last night on the Malkin line, less wall work and more give and go with speed
- I'm sure a spot will open, but how do you rotate Oleksiak & Schultzie back into this winning lineup? Perhaps Trader GMJR to the rescue?

I am fairly confident that Oleksiak is going to be the odd man out and get traded. I'm not sure it is the right decision though.

Oleksiak isn't the best skater on the team, but he's better than Pettersson, Ruhwedel, Riikola, Maatta, and possibly Johnson.
Oleksiak is one of the more physical guys on the defensive side, with Johnson being the other.
Oleksiak isn't the best in terms of offensive generation, but he's better than Pettersson, Johnson, Dumoulin, Ruhwedel, and Riikola.

But, he keeps being a healthy scratch in favor of others. He's been a healthy scratch 5 times this season. Riikola has been a healthy scratch 19 times, but, he's new to the NHL. I think that is rather normal. Oleksiak was a mainstay last year. Now it looks like they are unhappy with him for some reason, and really searching for other options like Pettersson or Riikola

Oleksiak had 4 goals and 10 assists in 47 regular season games with Pittsburgh last year. He's got 4 goals and 7 assists already in 32 games. His ice time is down about a minute and a half from last season.

Schultz returns, I suspect pairings to shakeout as:

Dumo-Letang
Maatta-Schultz
Pettersson-Johnson
x-Ruhwedel, Riikola

Oleksiak on his own could probably fetch a 3rd rounder. Packaged with Brassard or someone else, I think he could help fetch a greater return. 2 more years at 2.1M for a large, mobile defenseman. Someone out West would love to have him after Gonchar fixed him up.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:12 am

I wouldn't read into Oleksiak sitting too much. He was a mainstay in the lineup but got hurt and it appears they simply don't want to change up a lineup that has been winning now that he's healthy. Certainly, a defenseman probably will get traded either by the deadline or after the season, just from a roster size and cap standpoint, and Oleksiak is a possibility. But I think that's more a matter of numbers than it is being unhappy with him. They'll have Johnson, Pettersson, Oleksiak, and Riikola as third pairing caliber guys under their control after this season, presumably one of the guys in that group who makes some money could be on the chopping block, unless they move someone like Maatta instead.

I've liked what I've seen from the Simon-Malkin-Hornqvist line. They've been generating chances, so glad to see some goals result last night.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:14 am

Just saw a good story on Twitter. Apparently, a Rangers fan sitting next to the penalty box was chirping the heck out of Crosby when he was in the penalty box. After the game was over, Penguins trainer came over and gave the guy this (sorry about the size, resize option doesn't work on the board):

FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby lemieuxReturns on Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:22 am

"Just saw a good story on Twitter. Apparently, a Rangers fan sitting next to the penalty box was chirping the heck out of Crosby when he was in the penalty box. After the game was over, Penguins trainer came over and gave the guy this (sorry about the size, resize option doesn't work on the board):"

That is crazy!
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby E-Ramone on Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:29 am

lemieuxReturns wrote:"Just saw a good story on Twitter. Apparently, a Rangers fan sitting next to the penalty box was chirping the heck out of Crosby when he was in the penalty box. After the game was over, Penguins trainer came over and gave the guy this (sorry about the size, resize option doesn't work on the board):"

That is crazy!

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Sid must've been very pleased with the game last night to do that for the guy!
E-Ramone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby longtimefan on Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:15 am

Henry Hank wrote:I wouldn't read into Oleksiak sitting too much. He was a mainstay in the lineup but got hurt and it appears they simply don't want to change up a lineup that has been winning now that he's healthy. Certainly, a defenseman probably will get traded either by the deadline or after the season, just from a roster size and cap standpoint, and Oleksiak is a possibility. But I think that's more a matter of numbers than it is being unhappy with him. They'll have Johnson, Pettersson, Oleksiak, and Riikola as third pairing caliber guys under their control after this season, presumably one of the guys in that group who makes some money could be on the chopping block, unless they move someone like Maatta instead.

I've liked what I've seen from the Simon-Malkin-Hornqvist line. They've been generating chances, so glad to see some goals result last night.

I agree. This is easily the best depth they've had with NHL caliber dmen. They've won seven straight, and Riikola was Oleksiak's replacement after the Caps game. He's improving, and has been more noticable in a good way. Taking shots, and he packs a nice wallop for such a slight guy. Only two PP's and one PK last night. Riikola ended up with the third most ice among the defensemen. That suggests they're happy with him right now. Plus, the defensive turnaround seemed to coincide with Petterson's arrival. Sooner or later, Oleksiak will get back in the lineup. The guy who's on life support is Ruhlwedel. When Schultz comes back, they have to either trade Chad or try to sneak him through waivers. He's nice depth, but clearly 9th on the depth chart. Riikola and Petterson don't need to clear, so they could send one down, but I don't see it at this point. Those kids have given the defense a much needed infusion of youth.

The offseason will be a different story. After Guentzel signed, JR said his cap hit wouln't present any problems based on their vision of the team. If I were to guess, I'd say Maatta is the most likely to be moved. Based on his cap hit and his value is likely higher than the other candidates right now. Plus, the whispers about him not really being the best fit for their system. They've actually got some nice problems.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:20 am

E-Ramone wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:"Just saw a good story on Twitter. Apparently, a Rangers fan sitting next to the penalty box was chirping the heck out of Crosby when he was in the penalty box. After the game was over, Penguins trainer came over and gave the guy this (sorry about the size, resize option doesn't work on the board):"

That is crazy!

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Sid must've been very pleased with the game last night to do that for the guy!

Was it John McEnroe???? I heard he was at the game :P

Goals are certainly coming in bunches. This team- when the goalie is secure - everybody plays their position instead of trying to make saves.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby itissteeltime on Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:32 pm

I did notice Sid grinning towards a fan while in the box.
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:24 pm

The guy who's on life support is Ruhlwedel. When Schultz comes back, they have to either trade Chad or try to sneak him through waivers. He's nice depth, but clearly 9th on the depth chart. Riikola and Petterson don't need to clear, so they could send one down, but I don't see it at this point. Those kids have given the defense a much needed infusion of youth.

I'd send Riikola down and bring him back for the playoffs. With a healthy D, he's not cracking the lineup, and I'd rather preserve the depth than lose Ruhwedel. He's nothing amazing, but he's playoff tested and not a liability. If they go on a Cup run, they could easily need to dip as far down as #9 on the depth chart. Of course, more injuries can and likely will make this moot.

The offseason will be a different story. After Guentzel signed, JR said his cap hit wouln't present any problems based on their vision of the team. If I were to guess, I'd say Maatta is the most likely to be moved. Based on his cap hit and his value is likely higher than the other candidates right now. Plus, the whispers about him not really being the best fit for their system. They've actually got some nice problems.

I could see it being Maatta from the perspective that he carries a healthy cap hit but also should have good value. What I potentially envision is using Maatta to get a young third line center to fill that hole on a longer term basis. I think Pettersson projects as a similar type of defenseman to Maatta, so his emergence may allow them to trade from a position of strength.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby wondermoose on Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:56 pm

I could watch Pettersson poke pucks off attacking forwards all night long.

12-2-1 since the Sprong trade while the Ducks have lost six straight. He ain't pretty, but my god can he disrupt the attack.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Antonio on Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:13 pm

Power play is FIFTH at 27%?! What is going on? I remember when that would have led the league by a lot.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby LimerickPensFan on Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:29 pm

Antonio wrote:Power play is FIFTH at 27%?! What is going on? I remember when that would have led the league by a lot.

You mean like last year? The Pens had 26.2% and the Leafs were second at 25.0% Tampa third at 23.9%.
LimerickPensFan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby KG on Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:21 am

Just as impressive as the power play. The Pens have the best road PK?? Wonder when the last time that has ever happened?
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:40 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Just saw a good story on Twitter. Apparently, a Rangers fan sitting next to the penalty box was chirping the heck out of Crosby when he was in the penalty box. After the game was over, Penguins trainer came over and gave the guy this (sorry about the size, resize option doesn't work on the board):

Spoiler:

Sid was asked about the chirping and giving the guy a stick after the game. (I heard the guy was doing it to him all game, not just when in the box).

"I’ve been in that situation before. Guys can kind of cross the line or take it a little far sometimes. I thought he did everything in pretty good taste. He had the section laughing and had me and one of the officials in the box laughing."
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins