Game 42 vs Hawks - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 42 vs Hawks - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:57 am

Pens lose 5-3

- All good things must come to an end. This streak was great, righted the ship & the season. Thankfully, the Hawks are in the West!
- PK's failure to clear, failed 5-3 pplay, soft goal allowed, couple of posts, a few chincy calls... a recipe for this loss & why playoffs are best of 4. Anyone can win 1 :wink:
- This game had streak breaker written all over it. When Pens got out to the 2 nothing lead I almost thought no, we got this game. Blame me :evil:
- I have long been a supporter of Maatta, but I am starting to think he might be the odd man out in the D game. However, don't rush it GMJR, wait till Schultz is healthy!
- Ward played great as did the Hawks stars. Kane, Toews and even Keith seemed to look like the Hawks of 5 years ago! Not sure how come they are so bad.
- Malkin seems to have awaken from his hibernation and the 3rd line is showing life (I'd still trade Brassard though).
- Pens need to shake this game off and get right back getting pucks on net and hounding that puck. They took their foot off the gas and it killed them
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Game 42 vs Hawks - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby IntangibleBeer on Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:23 am

- Agree with Penspal on the major points.
- The Pens played one or most of one awesome period of hockey and went to sleep in the 2nd. You can't flip the switch ON and OFF repeatedly. You just can't.
- During 1 intermission, Milbury opined that the Pens need one more stellar quality d-man. I'm not sure I agree with that given Schultz returning to the line-up, but it's an interesting thought. Do you trade Brassard for one? Package Maatta, Ruhwedel, and Brassard for a stellar d-man? Or look to replace Brassard at 3rd line center and keep some cap space?

What do you all think?
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Southern Fan on Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:56 am

Keith and Toews are living off of historical reputations. Kane would break every scoring record if he got to play the Pens every night.

Ice was bad last night. Why does that happen ?
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Weegie on Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:07 pm

Started out like gangbusters, 2-0 lead and I thought "they're rolling as usual", then it looked like they thought it was good enough and was going to be an easy game and looked disinterested at times while Chicago kept working away, and eventually it caught them and bit them in the ass. 2 goals scored seconds after a power play expired? That was very odd.

Oh well, they'll just have to start a new streak, but it is so frustrating to see them struggle against the Hawks all the time!!!
Weegie
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby BurghThing on Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:44 pm

Southern Fan wrote:Keith and Toews are living off of historical reputations. Kane would break every scoring record if he got to play the Pens every night.

Ice has been bad at home for a while now.
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Great58 on Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:43 pm

BurghThing wrote:
Southern Fan wrote:Keith and Toews are living off of historical reputations. Kane would break every scoring record if he got to play the Pens every night.

It was noticeably warmer in the 200 level on Friday than it was the previous games. I don't know what events they've had in the arena since the Detroit game, but that would be my guess for worse ice.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Southern Fan on Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:32 pm

Hawks 7-3-2 in their last 12. Not exactly a slumping team. One good streak away from competing for a wild card.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:54 am

Great58 wrote:
BurghThing wrote:

It was noticeably warmer in the 200 level on Friday than it was the previous games. I don't know what events they've had in the arena since the Detroit game, but that would be my guess for worse ice.

Friday that warmth felt good... but it was such a change from the usual ice cave I thought the cooling pipes blew up.
Sid will get that ice fixed pronto.
New win streak begins tonight.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby relantel on Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:30 am

Credit Cam Ward a bunch in this one. Stopped a lot of great chances.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins