Ronnie Franchise

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Ronnie Franchise

Postby ville5 on Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:57 pm

Ron is leaving hockey. Says he could probably get another front office NHL job but doesn't want to leave the area he has been in for the last 20 years. He is joining a realty company. He took real estate classes in November and December, then got his broker's license.
Thanks for your hockey contributions and good luck.
https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2019 ... canes-job/
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Ronnie Franchise

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:39 pm

I'm not sure what the full story is. All I know is that I have heard multiple times he has family/personal issues keeping him in the area. I do know he has a special needs brother that he may or may not care for. Not sure if there is something entirely different, but several local Pens reporters have made mention of the personal reasons for staying in Raleigh without going into details.

I saw something recently about his trade here. When he arrived, Badger Bob pulled him aside and said look, I know what you are capable of, but we have this young kid here (Lemieux), so you might not get the same minutes. Francis said something to effect that he didn't care, he just wanted to win and would do whatever was asked and play wherever they needed him.
FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby lemieuxReturns on Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:04 pm

Makes me want to look for a house in Raleigh. Haha
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Penspal on Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:36 am

Ron's my favorite player of all time. Never say Never Ronnie, you may just find yourself in the Pens fold before too long.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby jeffshly on Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:18 pm

Wow! I’m very surprised that a guy so talented on the hockey operations side is leaving the game. I wish him all the very best.

He was a great player, but the thing that I always admired most about him is the fact that he’s gitta be one of the classiest professional athletes I’ve ever seen. Been that day since Day 1, and has never wavered.

It was his class and character the led me to spend WAYYY too much money at a time that I shouldn’t have on this!

Last edited by jeffshly on Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeffshly
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby stonewizard51 on Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:40 am

I think it was Brodeur who once made the comment if Francis, Lemieux and Jagr ever got loose on a breakaway you might as well step out of the way and let them score. They were going to do that regardless of whether or not a goalie was in net. LOL !!
stonewizard51
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins