Official GDT: Pens vs Oilers 2/13/19

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official GDT: Pens vs Oilers 2/13/19

Postby Southern Fan on Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:47 pm

Pearson is channeling Brassard. Really bringing down Kessel-Bjugstad.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Maestro on Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:51 pm

DelPen wrote:Hopefully ZAR, Blueger and McCann are the youth movement like we had in previous cups.

Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Maestro on Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:52 pm

DelPen wrote:
DelPen wrote:Murray in net. Riikkola gets to make Johnson look good.

Johnson looked kind of good

I thought he was their best deferenceman tonight.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby rgj on Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:58 pm

Thank you, Pens. Tonight was the first game this season I was able to watch and follow. You see, my adult son Josh and I would pretty much always watch the Pens and Steelers online, TV, radio.....all long distance....we rejoiced at the Stanley Cup celebrations, and for his birthday, I got tickets and we went to a playoff game vs. the Rangers a few years ago in Pgh. Then Pens came back to win, it was glorious!! But, I lost my son the first week of November. I have not been able to watch a Steeler or Pens game, wear my gear.....though I would look at the scoreboard from time to time. I watched this game, rooted for the Pens, even reached to grab the phone a couple of times. As the game wound down under a minute left.....well, the floodgates opened. I miss my son. My heart is broken.

Please go home tonight, or call your kids. Tell them you love them.

Go Pens!!
Last edited by rgj on Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rgj
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hatrick on Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:00 pm

Maestro wrote:
DelPen wrote:

while idk if I would go that far, I didn't notice him much which is actually a very good thing when its a player with that style of game(not a point producer but in there to stop the other team from scoring, so if you notice them its usually for not good reasons, aka turnovers or leaving somebody wide open)
Hatrick
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:23 pm

rgj wrote:Thank you, Pens. Tonight was the first game this season I was able to watch and follow. You see, my adult son Josh and I would pretty much always watch the Pens and Steelers online, TV, radio.....all long distance....we rejoiced at the Stanley Cup celebrations, and for his birthday, I got tickets and we went to a playoff game vs. the Rangers a few years ago in Pgh. Then Pens came back to win, it was glorious!! But, I lost my son the first week of November. I have not been able to watch a Steeler or Pens game, wear my gear.....though I would look at the scoreboard from time to time. I watched this game, rooted for the Pens, even reached to grab the phone a couple of times. As the game wound down under a minute left.....well, the floodgates opened. I miss my son. My heart is broken.

Go Pens!!

I am sorry bud. I hope that in time your pain will ease.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby LimerickPensFan on Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:55 pm

rgj wrote:Thank you, Pens. Tonight was the first game this season I was able to watch and follow. You see, my adult son Josh and I would pretty much always watch the Pens and Steelers online, TV, radio.....all long distance....we rejoiced at the Stanley Cup celebrations, and for his birthday, I got tickets and we went to a playoff game vs. the Rangers a few years ago in Pgh. Then Pens came back to win, it was glorious!! But, I lost my son the first week of November. I have not been able to watch a Steeler or Pens game, wear my gear.....though I would look at the scoreboard from time to time. I watched this game, rooted for the Pens, even reached to grab the phone a couple of times. As the game wound down under a minute left.....well, the floodgates opened. I miss my son. My heart is broken.

Go Pens!!

Oh, man. My heart breaks for you.
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ville5 on Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:36 am

Go Pens!!

Sorry for your loss rgi. My eyes welled up just reading this post.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:44 am

FLPensFan wrote:So I've only been able to watch some of the game, and had to FFWD through a lot of it, but, one big thing I have noticed is.....these 4 lines all seem to work.

Crosby has been solid all season, and works well with both Rust and Guentzel.
The 4th line with ZAR and Wilson has been pretty good from what I have seen.
The 3rd line with Blueger and Hornqvist on either side of McCann has looked good.
2nd line, I haven't noticed too much.

Am I wrong? From not seeing the whole game in real time, is there something I have missed, or this a fair assessment?

If it is, I would figure out how to fit Kessel, Bjugstad, and Malkin on one line, and stick Pearson on the bench with Simon and roll with these 4 lines for a while. Sullivan needs to start building some consistency, and these look the closest to it IMO, even if it is only one game.

I only saw the 3rd period but I agree with your assessment. I think based on that we role with the following for a bit:

Guentz - Sid - Rust
Bujstad - Geno - Phil
Blueger - McCann - Horny
ZAR - Cullen - Wilson

I think this makes Pearson as good as traded in my opinion. Maybe trade him for D depth and any left over cap maybe swing for a depth forward. Thoughts?
Pensfan4life8771
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:49 am

Pensfan4life8771
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jim on Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:56 am

Pensfan4life8771 wrote:https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/1036906

Maybe this?

I'd rather play Johnson over Ceci. If you are going to give up a 1st and potentially your best prospect you want to get more than Dzingel.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:59 am

Jim wrote:

Maybe this?

I'd rather play Johnson over Ceci. If you are going to give up a 1st and potentially your best prospect you want to get more than Dzingel.

That is fair...I'm just trying to think of team we could package Pearson and X and get back a D/Forward.
Pensfan4life8771
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby murphydump55 on Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:08 am

Pensfan4life8771 wrote:
Jim wrote:

Maybe this?

That is fair...I'm just trying to think of team we could package Pearson and X and get back a D/Forward.

And you want Ceci and Johnson on the same team?

Ceci is awful. Watch him. He’s not good. Or take the 3 minutes and look at the numbers. It’s isnt hard to do.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby Fat Old Frank on Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:14 am

Maestro wrote:
DelPen wrote:

Johnson was the main reason the Oilers had so much offensive zone time. Guy can't get the puck on his stick.
Fat Old Frank
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby LimerickPensFan on Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:30 am

Fat Old Frank wrote:
Maestro wrote:
DelPen wrote:

Johnson was the main reason the Oilers had so much offensive zone time. Guy can't get the puck on his stick.

Bull. The reason the Oilers had so much offensive zone time was because our players give it right back to the opponents when they get the puck in the D zone.

DK did a piece on Johnson today (https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2019/02/14/column-penguins-oilers-dk/). I haven't finished it, but a couple of clips from it:

This just in for fans of the Penguins who hate Jack Johnson: He has no idea.

This also in: Neither his coaches nor his teammates can comprehend why anyone would.

OK, cool, now deposit these, too: Johnson’s 169 hits lead the Penguins by a whopping margin of 54, making him their most physical presence by a mile. He’s blocked 103 shots, second only to Olli Maatta’s 111. And get this one: His 22 official giveaways are the fewest of anyone on the defense.

The reason for the latter, I think, is that, as other advanced metrics have illustrated over three years, he’s been among the NHL’s top five defensemen in executing a breakout pass with a success rate of close to 70 percent.
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Toolsteelguy on Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:00 pm

LimerickPensFan wrote:
Fat Old Frank wrote:
Maestro wrote:
DelPen wrote:

Bull. The reason the Oilers had so much offensive zone time was because our players give it right back to the opponents when they get the puck in the D zone.

DK did a piece on Johnson today (https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2019/02/14/column-penguins-oilers-dk/). I haven't finished it, but a couple of clips from it:

This also in: Neither his coaches nor his teammates can comprehend why anyone would.

OK, cool, now deposit these, too: Johnson’s 169 hits lead the Penguins by a whopping margin of 54, making him their most physical presence by a mile. He’s blocked 103 shots, second only to Olli Maatta’s 111. And get this one: His 22 official giveaways are the fewest of anyone on the defense.

The reason for the latter, I think, is that, as other advanced metrics have illustrated over three years, he’s been among the NHL’s top five defensemen in executing a breakout pass with a success rate of close to 70 percent.

Thanks. The JJ hater discussion is getting old. All of them have their moments I don’t see him as such a big liability.
Toolsteelguy

Postby murphydump55 on Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:58 pm

Most hits can be attributed to never having the puck. Blocked shots you also don’t have the puck. Least turnover, again not handling the puck, mostly chasing.

The numbers prove the Pens are chasing the puck more when he’s on the ice compared to when he’s not.

I’m not saying he’s not physical, just that when you don’t have the puck, those numbers add up.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby murphydump55 on Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:02 pm

I’m willing to bet Letang has the most turnovers. Because he has the puck more than any other D.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Maestro on Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:02 pm

LimerickPensFan wrote:Johnson was the main reason the Oilers had so much offensive zone time. Guy can't get the puck on his stick.

If I've learned anything being on this board for 10 years it's most posters don't let silly things like facts get in the way of their unsupported biases.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Maestro on Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:06 pm

murphydump55 wrote:I’m willing to bet Letang has the most turnovers. Because he has the puck more than any other D.

Likely true - but consider outside of Norris candidate Letang at 26+ min/gm next among dmen is dumo at 21 then guess who...

JJ at 19+
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby LimerickPensFan on Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:07 pm

murphydump55 wrote:Most hits can be attributed to never having the puck. Blocked shots you also don’t have the puck. Least turnover, again not handling the puck, mostly chasing.

The numbers prove the Pens are chasing the puck more when he’s on the ice compared to when he’s not.

I’m not saying he’s not physical, just that when you don’t have the puck, those numbers add up.

Funny, I thought keeping the puck to the outside of the defensive zone was a good thing. If he's not getting the puck near the net, I guess that means the puck isn't getting near the net.
LimerickPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Maestro on Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:13 pm

Defensive point shares - estimating number of points contributed by a player due to his defense... The list thus far:
dumo
Letang
maatta
Crosby
Guess who is next
That's right.
Guess...
Jack Johnson

Corsi for 5/5 - he's 5th
Corsi against - he's 3rd
Same rankings for Fenwick FF - 5th; FA 3rd

I think the Penguins organization has a grip on player production slightly better than anonymous internet posters but again that's just me.
Last edited by Maestro on Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Stanislav21 on Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:16 pm

Trivial question:

About 4 minutes into the game, the Pens cleared the puck down the ice. Kessel was clearly the first player to the puck, but he pulled up short and let an Oiler play it. Icing was called. Why did Kessel stop? Was it going to be a two-line pass?

Thinking about it further, what exactly was the call?? It couldn't be icing, because Kessel was at the dot first, right? So why call a two-line pass if an Oiler played it first?
Stanislav21
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Maestro on Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:24 pm

2 line pass?
that ended in '04

Interesting tidbit:

In the first 12 full seasons since they got rid of the two-line-pass rule, overall league goal average per team was 2.8125 goals per game. In the 12 seasons prior, each team averaged 2.8783 goals per game.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:35 pm

Stanislav21 wrote:Trivial question:

About 4 minutes into the game, the Pens cleared the puck down the ice. Kessel was clearly the first player to the puck, but he pulled up short and let an Oiler play it. Icing was called. Why did Kessel stop? Was it going to be a two-line pass?

Thinking about it further, what exactly was the call?? It couldn't be icing, because Kessel was at the dot first, right? So why call a two-line pass if an Oiler played it first?

I think that it was the Kings/Caps game they blew an icing call and the Caps scored on it. The D that got beat (didn't) was irate.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins