Who wins the cup?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Who wins the cup?

Postby Pitts on Thu May 09, 2019 12:02 pm

I want Canes or St. Louis.

Hate Boston,

Tired of the Joe Thornton storyline. Go friggin retire already.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IntangibleBeer on Thu May 09, 2019 1:07 pm

Bruins defeat the Canes.
Blues beat the Sharks.

Bruins (unfortunately) win the Cup.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Daniel on Thu May 09, 2019 2:40 pm

IntangibleBeer wrote:Bruins defeat the Canes.
Blues beat the Sharks.

I don't know who wins the cup, but watching the level of play by those still involved, it saddens me to watch the Pens out in the 1st round. If they even played with more effort and to their capabilities, I think they could have dominated the rest of the field. I don't see anyone really dominating this playoff season so far.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Ericf on Thu May 09, 2019 2:45 pm

Daniel wrote:
Blues beat the Sharks.

I don't know who wins the cup, but watching the level of play by those still involved, it saddens me to watch the Pens out in the 1st round. If they even played with more effort and to their capabilities, I think they could have dominated the rest of the field. I don't see anyone really dominating this playoff season so far.

That's not how I read it. The four teams left all have at least four mobile D who can transition the puck through the NZ. The Pens didn't, and wouldn't be going too far this year anyway, even if the team had played with more effort. If anything, JR should be watching their success and redo the blue line. Nothing's going to change if he doesn't see JJ playing, especially on the second pairing, as a problem.
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Puck-Lurker on Thu May 09, 2019 4:00 pm

Steve wrote:Curious about everyone's predictions....

Mine: Lightning over the Blues
Dark-horse team: Bruins.

Note I've picked the Lightning to make the finals the last three years so eventually I will be correct, maybe.

Pittsburgh.

Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Malkintent on Thu May 09, 2019 7:48 pm

Blues over Bruins. Blues remind me of the 2016 Pens. Looked dead in the water then went nuts in the second half.
Malkintent
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: Please help my dog https://www.gofundme.com/sumdm7d8

Postby Daniel on Thu May 09, 2019 7:59 pm

Ericf wrote:
Daniel wrote:
Blues beat the Sharks.

That's not how I read it. The four teams left all have at least four mobile D who can transition the puck through the NZ. The Pens didn't, and wouldn't be going too far this year anyway, even if the team had played with more effort. If anything, JR should be watching their success and redo the blue line. Nothing's going to change if he doesn't see JJ playing, especially on the second pairing, as a problem.

I'll concede that, but the Pens were at their best when the 3rd line chipped and played a cycle game. I agree that if the defense got the puck up quicker they go through the NZ quicker, but if the forwards came back and played a simple game they'd have looked better. Things might have been a lot different if the other lines did the same thing, at least when the option to rush in didn't materialize.

Maybe they don't make it past the 1st round, but with no team really dominating I think it makes the Penguins failure that much worse.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Ericf on Thu May 09, 2019 9:07 pm

Daniel wrote:
Ericf wrote:
Daniel wrote:
Blues beat the Sharks.

I'll concede that, but the Pens were at their best when the 3rd line chipped and played a cycle game. I agree that if the defense got the puck up quicker they go through the NZ quicker, but if the forwards came back and played a simple game they'd have looked better. Things might have been a lot different if the other lines did the same thing, at least when the option to rush in didn't materialize.

Maybe they don't make it past the 1st round, but with no team really dominating I think it makes the Penguins failure that much worse.

It really aids the forwards, particularly forwards on the wrong side of 30, if they don’t have to go all the way back to their goalie to help the D get pucks of their own end...if the D can get to a puck before the opposition’s forecheck and transition to the forwards, it will aid in the forwards being able to expend the energy to keep possession in the O zone, as you’re talking about. It’s unfair to Sid and G to make them have to go 200 feet every shift at their age. I’m pretty sure this was Geno’s beef this year, which was labeled “insubordination.” Ridiculous. I hope JR can remake the blueline to help them, but I fear he doesn’t see this and only cares about “push back” these days
Ericf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Daniel on Thu May 09, 2019 11:19 pm

Ericf wrote:
Daniel wrote:I'll concede that, but the Pens were at their best when the 3rd line chipped and played a cycle game. I agree that if the defense got the puck up quicker they go through the NZ quicker, but if the forwards came back and played a simple game they'd have looked better. Things might have been a lot different if the other lines did the same thing, at least when the option to rush in didn't materialize.

It really aids the forwards, particularly forwards on the wrong side of 30, if they don’t have to go all the way back to their goalie to help the D get pucks of their own end...if the D can get to a puck before the opposition’s forecheck and transition to the forwards, it will aid in the forwards being able to expend the energy to keep possession in the O zone, as you’re talking about. It’s unfair to Sid and G to make them have to go 200 feet every shift at their age. I’m pretty sure this was Geno’s beef this year, which was labeled “insubordination.” Ridiculous. I hope JR can remake the blueline to help them, but I fear he doesn’t see this and only cares about “push back” these days

As much as I hate a 1st round sweep, I think it brought attention to some underlying issues that need to be resolved. The defense is certainly one of them, but I think it goes way beyond that. I think there is a disconnect between GM and HC that started with the Reeves trade. I think creating a full roster with no camp competition hurt the season (when your only competition is for backup goalie and 7th defensemen, it isn't really competition). I hope this franchise does a complete evaluation from top to bottom, including the GM and coaching staff, because if they waste Sid/Geno/Kris years like they did after the 2009 cup, it will be a long time before we see this franchise win again.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Fri May 10, 2019 5:01 am

Daniel wrote:
Ericf wrote:
Daniel wrote:I'll concede that, but the Pens were at their best when the 3rd line chipped and played a cycle game. I agree that if the defense got the puck up quicker they go through the NZ quicker, but if the forwards came back and played a simple game they'd have looked better. Things might have been a lot different if the other lines did the same thing, at least when the option to rush in didn't materialize.

As much as I hate a 1st round sweep, I think it brought attention to some underlying issues that need to be resolved. The defense is certainly one of them, but I think it goes way beyond that. I think there is a disconnect between GM and HC that started with the Reeves trade. I think creating a full roster with no camp competition hurt the season (when your only competition is for backup goalie and 7th defensemen, it isn't really competition). I hope this franchise does a complete evaluation from top to bottom, including the GM and coaching staff, because if they waste Sid/Geno/Kris years like they did after the 2009 cup, it will be a long time before we see this franchise win again.

I agree with your opinion of when the wheels began to fall off. I blame the league, In JR’s defense, he had just watched the league allow Crosby to get concussed from a back to back play of an Ovechkin tomahawk overtop his head and a Niskanen crosscheck to the side of his head (if I’m remembering correctly) on the same play. I truly believe these “need more pushback” orders came from Lemieux.
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Fri May 10, 2019 6:41 am

Puck-Lurker wrote:
Steve wrote:Curious about everyone's predictions....

Mine: Lightning over the Blues
Dark-horse team: Bruins.

Note I've picked the Lightning to make the finals the last three years so eventually I will be correct, maybe.

Pittsburgh.

... just to piss off Caps fans...
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sigwolf on Fri May 17, 2019 12:54 pm

Best trend in the east this year for those that hate the Bruins...

Pens get swept by the Isles, who go on to get swept by the Canes, who go on to get swept by the Bruins...

3 for 3 rounds this year mean the Bruins are due to be swept by the Sharks or Blue in the Final. :wink: :scared:
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby stonewizard51 on Sat May 18, 2019 7:22 am

Sigwolf wrote:Best trend in the east this year for those that hate the Bruins...

Pens get swept by the Isles, who go on to get swept by the Canes, who go on to get swept by the Bruins...

3 for 3 rounds this year mean the Bruins are due to be swept by the Sharks or Blue in the Final. :wink: :scared:

Yes please :D
stonewizard51
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins