BAD news about Bozo

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

BAD news about Bozo

Postby gruntov on Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:24 pm

"The fact is, it has always been Balsillie's intent to scoop up a financially troubled franchise with interest in moving that team North. "

TSN is usually pretty reliable.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=187400&hubname=nhl
Last edited by gruntov on Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gruntov

Postby Defence21 on Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:31 pm

I don't know...every article I read, I see something different. One says this, another says that, another takes a spin off one of the first, etc.

We're all fascinated and entrenched in this saga, but I think, as we are seeing, it's only going to get worse as we get closer to Dec. 20. And, if IOC doesn't get the license, it will get even worse from there. We are bound to hear conflicting stories on a daily basis -- none of which can be trusted, regardless of the source.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NIN on Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:47 pm

There as good as gone, it's a done deal. The only thing that still interests me is the spin, that's always good for a laugh. Balsillie will shrug his shoulders and say something like, "it isn't a religion for me to stay here in Pittsburgh." Bettman will say something hollow like, "hockey is very much alive here in Pittsburgh, I will make it my mission to bring the Penguins back where they belong. Just give me 8 more years to get the league fixed." lol. Of Course Mario will say, "They promised me, and they lied. I did all I could do." Last but not least, the politicians. "We were hoping for a Christmas miracle but they were intent on leaving if they did'nt get their way, we tried to make it work and our offer is more than fail but this was their plan from the start I guess. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to have my diaper changed."

The Titanic has already struck the iceberg folks, yet still nobody thinks it will sink, even while the water flows over the hull.
NIN

Postby skullman80 on Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:50 pm

NIN wrote:There as good as gone, it's a done deal. The only thing that still interests me is the spin, that's always good for a laugh. Balsillie will shrug his shoulders and say something like, "it isn't a religion for me to stay here in Pittsburgh." Bettman will say something hollow like, "hockey is very much alive here in Pittsburgh, I will make it my mission to bring the Penguins back where they belong. Just give me 8 more years to get the league fixed." lol. Of Course Mario will say, "They promised me, and they lied. I did all I could do." Last but not least, the politicians. "We were hoping for a Christmas miracle but they were intent on leaving if they did'nt get their way, we tried to make it work and our offer is more than fail but this was their plan from the start I guess. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to have my diaper changed."

The Titanic has already struck the iceberg folks, yet still nobody thinks it will sink, even while the water flows over the hull.

I ask this question again? Why are you still here then? It just doesn't make sense for you to be so emotionally invested in a team that you are so sure will be gone this time next year.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NIN on Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:52 pm

skullman80 wrote:
NIN wrote:There as good as gone, it's a done deal. The only thing that still interests me is the spin, that's always good for a laugh. Balsillie will shrug his shoulders and say something like, "it isn't a religion for me to stay here in Pittsburgh." Bettman will say something hollow like, "hockey is very much alive here in Pittsburgh, I will make it my mission to bring the Penguins back where they belong. Just give me 8 more years to get the league fixed." lol. Of Course Mario will say, "They promised me, and they lied. I did all I could do." Last but not least, the politicians. "We were hoping for a Christmas miracle but they were intent on leaving if they did'nt get their way, we tried to make it work and our offer is more than fail but this was their plan from the start I guess. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to have my diaper changed."

I ask this question again? Why are you still here then? It just doesn't make sense for you to be so emotionally invested in a team that you are so sure will be gone this time next year.

I wish I knew how to gauge someones emotional status by reading what they type. Did it ever occur to you that I could be buck naked, watching King Kong, with a Chicken Enchilada resting on my stomach?
NIN

Postby skullman80 on Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:53 pm

NIN wrote:
skullman80 wrote:

I wish I knew how to gauge someones emotional status by reading what they type. Did it ever occur to you that I could be buck naked, watching King Kong, with a Chicken Enchilada resting on my stomach?

I just think it's funny that y ou make all of these doom and gloom posts, then turn around and create topics about how close the team is to turning the corner etc etc...

It just seems to me that at least to you it shouldn't make a bit of difference as to what the Pens do this year or beyond..because they won't be here anyways.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby 25+66+22=#1 on Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:56 pm

NIN wrote:

Hey what a coincidence, I'm doing that too!!!
25+66+22=#1
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby NIN on Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:58 pm

skullman80 wrote:
NIN wrote:
skullman80 wrote:

I just think it's funny that y ou make all of these doom and gloom posts, then turn around and create topics about how close the team is to turning the corner etc etc...

It just seems to me that at least to you it shouldn't make a bit of difference as to what the Pens do this year or beyond..because they won't be here anyways.

They are seperate issues, the way the team plays on the ice is as close I get to emotional attachment. Business and politics are for quackers, why should I deprive myself of good hockey just because the team is leaving town? The players arent giving up out there because of that (at least I think so) so why worry about it. If you pay property taxes for Allegheny County, you already know all you need to know about how much polticians care about life outside of their own wallets.
NIN

Postby nocera on Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:25 am

tsn is canadian. they want more hockey teams in canada. the end.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:38 am

taking NIN seriously is like wanting to have rush limbaugh as president..youre a moron if you do
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:44 am

Eh. I never found Dregger to be particularly accurate. This is just another man's opinion, just as it always is. Nobody knows what exactly will happen with the Pens. No sense getting worked up when every media guy puts in his two cents. The fact is, we as fans who have closely followed this from the start know more than any of them.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Stoosh on Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:58 am

First off, there isn't anything in Dreger's response that we don't already know.

For the moment Balsillie will support the Isle of Capri's interest in building a new arena in Pittsburgh and if that proposal falls through, he will also say and do all of the right things in support of the plan 'B' option. However, if Pittsburgh can't find a way to get this done, it's unlikely Balsillie will fund the Pittsburgh construction.

He actually takes this a step further than most Pittsburgh media types have been willing to go and admits that Balsillie will give Plan B every reasonable chance to work. That's something a lot of the cynics here in Pittsburgh have been either lost on or unwilling to address because they act as if admitting this is the case would be fatal to the IoC bid or something.

Dreger actually defeats his own argument with the last line of that quoted text. Um, Darren...there's no arena in Kitchener or Waterloo either. Not unless Balsillie wants to play in front of 5600 at the Kitchener Memorial Auditorium. Balsillie's not going to fund the construction of an arena in Pittsburgh, and he's not going to do it in Kitchener either. It's never happened before...a sports owner has never financed the construction of his team's building outright. If it would've happened, you'd have seen it in like the NBA or the NFL, where owners have tons of money AND tons more revenue streams to work with.

This isn't meant to be a shot at any of our friends north of the border who happen to be reading this, so please don't take this the wrong way. But I could argue that probably 90-95% of the articles by Canadian writers that concern the Penguins arena situation ultimately will try to justify the relocation of this team back north one way or the other. A very large section of the Canadian media is salivating at the very thought of Crosby eventually coming home to play (so much so that someone started a website that has a clock counting down the seconds until Sid is eligible for UFA status).

I'm not saying that they're all wrong. Some of them make very compelling arguments. Some of them make absolutely ridiculous arguments, like moving a team in six months to a locale that has absolutely nothing to offer in terms of an NHL-caliber arena. You need to take some of this stuff with a grain of salt. Some it is very well-written and reasonable stuff. Some of it is nothing more than a pipe dream fueled by jingoistic lines of reason.
Stoosh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: BAD news about Bozo

Postby newarenanow on Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:09 am

gruntov wrote:"The fact is, it has always been Balsillie's intent to scoop up a financially troubled franchise with interest in moving that team North. "

You should have posted the whole response of Balsallie trying the IOC first, and then trying plan 'b', and if all else fails, then he will move them, which he should if neither plan can get done.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby NIN on Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:18 am

newarenanow wrote:
gruntov wrote:"The fact is, it has always been Balsillie's intent to scoop up a financially troubled franchise with interest in moving that team North. "

You should have posted the whole response of Balsallie trying the IOC first, and then trying plan 'b', and if all else fails, then he will move them, which he should if neither plan can get done.

How can I fly off the handle if the whole sotry is posted?

gawd
NIN

Postby gruntov on Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:23 am

newarenanow wrote:

I posted only the part that I hadn't heard before about Bozo. That's why I provided the link.
gruntov

Postby mikey287 on Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:46 am

canaan wrote:taking NIN seriously is like wanting to have rush limbaugh as president..youre a moron if you do

How needlessly pol...uh, wrong...I wouldn't mind having Rush as President, as opposed to Hillary or Jesse Jackson or anyone like that...

Anyway, yeah, I don't know how you can say anything is a done deal, NIN...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pensfannn on Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:51 am

The Board of Governors should NOT approve this sale if he plans to move the team!

Bozo's intentions if the IOC loses the pageant should be made public, and if they are to try and move the Pens to Waterloo, the Board should tell him NO.
pensfannn
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pghsports on Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:43 am

pensfannn wrote:Bozo's intentions if the IOC loses the pageant should be made public, and if they are to try and move the Pens to Waterloo, the Board should tell him NO.

Calling Balsillie "Bozo" is new to me - I honestly thought ya'll were talkng about Bob Smizik and was REALLY confused for a good 5 minutes. I saw the topic and thought he had gotten a haircut or something. :)
Pghsports
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Tico Rick on Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:16 am

Another logical post by Stoosh. What's wrong with you, man?
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby NIN on Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:47 am

mikey287 wrote:
canaan wrote:taking NIN seriously is like wanting to have rush limbaugh as president..youre a moron if you do

How needlessly pol...uh, wrong...I wouldn't mind having Rush as President, as opposed to Hillary or Jesse Jackson or anyone like that...

Anyway, yeah, I don't know how you can say anything is a done deal, NIN...

It's a done deal, the momentum has been building for a long time for the team to leave. No "leader" can ignore an issue for 7+ years, then fix the one way to solve the issue so it doesnt get solved, and then hope to weazel out of it with some high priced half arsed "backup plan".

There is an enormous lady wearing a viking helmet checking into Ratner's tiny little hotel on 10th street right now, and she is drinking lemon water.
NIN

Postby pulp22 on Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:20 am

I agree with Stoosh. I mean it is a question and answer session, so basicly he is giving his opinion about the situation. I'm sure he wants a new team in Canada. More job security for him.
pulp22
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby shawnlesky on Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:00 pm

How captivating! Now, back to a sober reality. . .

The quote is a good one if read in its entirety. It basically says that the Pens will stay if the IoC wins its bid, which is true, and that JB will hear out "Plan B", but if both fail, then he'd move the team before underwriting the construction of a new arena by his lonesome.

That's not earth-shattering news. Who would? Arenas aren't cheap. He's got options coming out of his ears should the IoC fail or any contingencies lack luster. By "options", I'm referring to the several venues willing to at least chip in for a new arena, probably several that would at least pay lip service to the notion they could trump any "Plan B".

As far as calling it his "intent", I think that's a bit forward. I think his intent was to own a hockey team. I'm sure, being his home lies north of the border, that ideally he'd own a team there, but he has what he has and I really think he probably prefers the IoC to win as he's open to Pittsburgh and definately likes the free arena idea.
shawnlesky
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby poutine on Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:59 pm

Stoosh wrote:I'm not saying that they're all wrong. Some of them make very compelling arguments. Some of them make absolutely ridiculous arguments, like moving a team in six months to a locale that has absolutely nothing to offer in terms of an NHL-caliber arena. You need to take some of this stuff with a grain of salt. Some it is very well-written and reasonable stuff. Some of it is nothing more than a pipe dream fueled by jingoistic lines of reason.

You need the market to support an NHL team. The NY Metro area is unusual in that it can support three. Can the market support another team where he plans to move it? I'm thinking Winnipeg, Quebec City ...
poutine
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins