TV good and bad...

Forum for posts that are not hockey-related.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

TV good and bad...

Post by Jim »

Recorded La Brea, watching it now. Could easily comment on how bad the acting is, but that pales on how bad the writing is. Only half way through the pilot and I'm having difficulty continuing.

The writing is sooooo bad...
dagny
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: TV good and bad...

Post by dagny »

Jim wrote:Recorded La Brea, watching it now. Could easily comment on how bad the acting is, but that pales on how bad the writing is. Only half way through the pilot and I'm having difficulty continuing.

Saw the trailers, thought "WTF"... and "REALLY"?! Felt the only explanation were if it was some adaptation of a Verne or Welles type story. Nope. Just, nope.

Been watching some finished shows that *I* never finished. Ever seen Into the Badlands or The Magicians? I loved them, though the endings left something to be desired. I have some reading (source) material to delve into now.

In newer and campier, I'm surprised to find my delight in Titans and DOOM Patrol (and even, The Boys), but especially DOOM Patrol. I adore it.
dagny
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dagny »

Westworld, anyone?

I considered making a thread after my unfruitful search, then I remembered this one. :wink:
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

I don't have HBO or whatever Doom Patrol is on.

I watched a good bit of Badlands early, but bailed at some point.

Mandalorian, Tacoma FD, and Resident Alien ore the only shows that I look forward to.
dagny
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dagny »

Jim wrote:I don't have HBO or whatever Doom Patrol is on.

Mandalorian, Tacoma FD, and Resident Alien ore the only shows that I look forward to.
Ah, Disney+. We recently acquired HBOMax. Once I've watched everything I missed there, then we'll get Disney+, because it has TOOOOOOOOO much that I want to see (including a Willow series! ZOMG!). So I'll wait, until I'm ready. 8-)
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

dagny wrote:

Ah, Disney+. We recently acquired HBOMax. Once I've watched everything I missed there, then we'll get Disney+, because it has TOOOOOOOOO much that I want to see (including a Willow series! ZOMG!). So I'll wait, until I'm ready. 8-)

Willow isn't out yet.

I am a big MCU guy but I wasn't that big a fan of D+ Marvel stuff. Falcon and Winter soldier was quite decent. WandaVision was blah (just start with ep3). Loki was done better, but didn't deliver. I was looking forward to What If... as I liked the old comics, but the show is blah. On the Marvel side, Netflix did better with a fraction of the effects.
dagny
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by dagny »

Jim wrote:
dagny wrote:

Willow isn't out yet.

I am a big MCU guy but I wasn't that big a fan of D+ Marvel stuff. Falcon and Winter soldier was quite decent. WandaVision was blah (just start with ep3). Loki was done better, but didn't deliver. I was looking forward to What If... as I liked the old comics, but the show is blah. On the Marvel side, Netflix did better with a fraction of the effects.
Oh, me too (on MCU)! WandaVision was my first want because I ♥ Vision (Don't tell me anything!). But as they piled up all of the things they're gonna be putting out, I realized I could wait because all these other platforms have so much that I hadn't seen yet (that's what I'm working on), and we already have Netflix (absolutely their Marvel shows were top notch, especially Daredevil and Punisher, and I'm still mad about their cancellations) and Amazon, so HBOMax was the new acquisition and it's gonna take forever to finish all this. :lol: THEN, Disney+.

Btw, The Boys is not a kids show super hero stuff. Makes fun of a lot of it. Gory. It's on Amazon.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Jim »

dagny wrote:
Jim wrote:
dagny wrote:

Willow isn't out yet.

Oh, me too (on MCU)! WandaVision was my first want because I ♥ Vision (Don't tell me anything!). But as they piled up all of the things they're gonna be putting out, I realized I could wait because all these other platforms have so much that I hadn't seen yet (that's what I'm working on), and we already have Netflix (absolutely their Marvel shows were top notch, especially Daredevil and Punisher, and I'm still mad about their cancellations) and Amazon, so HBOMax was the new acquisition and it's gonna take forever to finish all this. :lol: THEN, Disney+.

Btw, The Boys is not a kids show super hero stuff. Makes fun of a lot of it. Gory. It's on Amazon.
I've seen clips. I literally laughed at the clip where the Superman type guy uses his eye beams to slice through the protestors/crowd, or whatever that situation was.
Zarovich
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Zarovich »

The Boys is great. I also like Resident Alien
Honour Over Glory

Post by Honour Over Glory »

Not a lot of good stuff that’s new. Dexter’s return was great, I know a lot of folks will whine about how it’s slow playing things, but it’s not something that can jump right into some craziness. Also there’s the backstory of how he’s lived his life and in a small nondescript town, he didn’t experience much to unleash his “dark passenger” until having to bend for the owner of his shop and sell a gun (against his wishes) to a muppet.

I like the Harrison bit at the end, Harrison was “born into blood” as he put it in the episode Rita dies, so this could be a great mentor/he’s now his father type of role.

Kind of bummed that Perry Mason might not be back until winter of 2022 or 2023…the first season came out in 2020. 2-3 years for what, 8-9 episodes? I hate that. How do you even keep interest in something after that long?

Jim wrote:Recorded La Brea, watching it now. Could easily comment on how bad the acting is, but that pales on how bad the writing is. Only half way through the pilot and I'm having difficulty continuing.

The premise of the show was bad enough. I actually commend you in even wasting time watching a full episode, mate.