Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Southern Fan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by Southern Fan »

thehockeyguru wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:14 pm
pens_CT wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:32 pm
thehockeyguru wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:29 pm Malkin looks like an all star compared to Rakell
Malkin needs to modify his game and realize that he's 37. Unfortunately he's too stubborn to change. Rakell needs to be moved, however coming off this season, good luck in moving him.
People were saying the same about Rust at the end of last season. Sometimes guys have down years.
I would think both Rakell and Smith would have decent trade value, with most of the league surmising that they had down years because they played for a stale team and their stats were a function of the team effort. The league is full of players who had their careers resurrected after being traded.
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/kyle-du ... s-changes/

Summary of Mark Madden’s interview with Kyle Dubas.
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

“I think we’ll get through the season and evaluate all of that. You’re talking about super competitive people, Sully and myself. If we sit here on April 17 and we haven’t advantage of the opportunity that lies ahead of us over the window of the next 21 days or three weeks, the players and Sully are too intelligent to think that we can do the same thing again next year in the exact same way can get a different result.”
Welp, there goes that narrative.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Three Stars wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:26 pm https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/kyle-du ... s-changes/

Summary of Mark Madden’s interview with Kyle Dubas.
If anyone wants to listen:

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/1020-mar ... 162604320/
pens_CT
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by pens_CT »

Southern Fan wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:42 pm
thehockeyguru wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:29 pm Malkin looks like an all star compared to Rakell
Malkin needs to modify his game and realize that he's 37. Unfortunately he's too stubborn to change. Rakell needs to be moved, however coming off this season, good luck in moving him.
People were saying the same about Rust at the end of last season. Sometimes guys have down years.
I would think both Rakell and Smith would have decent trade value, with most of the league surmising that they had down years because they played for a stale team and their stats were a function of the team effort. The league is full of players who had their careers resurrected after being traded.
The amount of money left on Rakell's deal is the main reason I think they would have trouble moving him. Smith with one more season can probably get moved pretty easily before/at the draft. Neither player is going to bring back a huge return.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

pens_CT wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:54 pm
Southern Fan wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:42 pm
The amount of money left on Rakell's deal is the main reason I think they would have trouble moving him. Smith with one more season can probably get moved pretty easily before/at the draft. Neither player is going to bring back a huge return.
In any trade, whether it be Rakell or Smith...I don't think it would be just that player moving out. This where I think you see Dubas flip a younger asset like Ponomarev, Koivunen, or even a Yager/Pickering in the right deal.

Maybe you send Smith or Rakell, plus someone like Ponomarev to Ottawa for Shane Pinto.
Maybe you go back to Carolina with Smith (50% retained), POJ, and Poulin for Necas. Carolina has Necas, Jarvis, and Drury as RFAs, Teravainen and Guentzel as UFAs, and Skjei and Pesce on defense as UFAs with only 13 players committed and 30M in cap space.

There's a deal out there to be made. Dubas just has to find the right deal, and make it.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

I dont want to lose Koivunen or Yager or Pickering in any deal! Especially Koivunen is playing great as 20yrs old in Elite Finnish league..

We have plenty enough of OLD players to deal to get better..
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Pens4Life wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:37 am I dont want to lose Koivunen or Yager or Pickering in any deal! Especially Koivunen is playing great as 20yrs old in Elite Finnish league..

Agreed. Unless guys like Yager, Pickering, Koivunen etc are a confirmed bust, no trading. They're young, have some potential and can improve. We have enough players that lack two or three of those.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

Puck-Lurker wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:59 am
Pens4Life wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:37 am I dont want to lose Koivunen or Yager or Pickering in any deal! Especially Koivunen is playing great as 20yrs old in Elite Finnish league..

Agreed. Unless guys like Yager, Pickering, Koivunen etc are a confirmed bust, no trading. They're young, have some potential and can improve. We have enough players that lack two or three of those.
Exactly.. way to soon to trade them, as you mentioned we can gain a lot with them via salary cap issues as well! Not just getting younger and faster..
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Pens4Life wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:09 am

Exactly.. way to soon to trade them, as you mentioned we can gain a lot with them via salary cap issues as well! Not just getting younger and faster..
I understand what you are saying, but you may end up disappointed. I don't think Yager or Pickering would go unless we are getting a top 6 level young player under 25 years old. I wouldn't give up either for Shane Pinto.

But, you also need to understand...that's the way the business side works. If you can swap a prospect who has yet to even reach the pro level (AHL) for a young prospect who is a few years ahead, and already played meaningful NHL, most teams are going to make that deal unless they have an ungodly amount of proof that your prospect is "can't miss."

Want an example...Penguins had a player whose pre-draft year, draft year, and post-draft year totals was 168 games played, 77 goals, 198 points. This was in the QMJHL.
Yager's pre-draft year, draft year, and post-draft year (in progress) is 187 games played, 97 goals, 232 points. This is in the WHL.

The first player I listed is Sam Poulin. Poulin is still young, but, while once pegged as a middle 6 player, he's probably more now considered a bottom 6 player if he reaches his potential.

You just DO NOT KNOW how these kids will develop. They can tear up Juniors, but when they get to the pro game and you are going up against a team full of guys that are on your level, and guys that are 5-10 years older/stronger, things change. That's why a lot of people like drafting European players...they go and play in the SHL and Liiga, where they are 18 year olds competing against men. The ice surface adjustment can be an issue, but you know these guys are already competing against the more experienced players versus the CHL.

I like Yager. I really like his progress to date. But right now, until we see what he can do at WBS, he's a prospect that I don't have a lot of attachment to. He's not an Elite level player that we would build the next team around. He may be a good top 6 player. He may be an All-star type player. But we just don't know.

In the right trade, ie not a 23 year old 4th line plugger, I have no problem with Dubas moving Yager or Pickering.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cow_Master66 »

Trying to retool for a run next year is what will get this organization into long(er) term trouble....We all know it's coming :pop:
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

FLPensFan wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:21 am

I understand what you are saying, but you may end up disappointed. I don't think Yager or Pickering would go unless we are getting a top 6 level young player under 25 years old. I wouldn't give up either for Shane Pinto.

But, you also need to understand...that's the way the business side works. If you can swap a prospect who has yet to even reach the pro level (AHL) for a young prospect who is a few years ahead, and already played meaningful NHL, most teams are going to make that deal unless they have an ungodly amount of proof that your prospect is "can't miss."

Want an example...Penguins had a player whose pre-draft year, draft year, and post-draft year totals was 168 games played, 77 goals, 198 points. This was in the QMJHL.
Yager's pre-draft year, draft year, and post-draft year (in progress) is 187 games played, 97 goals, 232 points. This is in the WHL.

The first player I listed is Sam Poulin. Poulin is still young, but, while once pegged as a middle 6 player, he's probably more now considered a bottom 6 player if he reaches his potential.

You just DO NOT KNOW how these kids will develop. They can tear up Juniors, but when they get to the pro game and you are going up against a team full of guys that are on your level, and guys that are 5-10 years older/stronger, things change. That's why a lot of people like drafting European players...they go and play in the SHL and Liiga, where they are 18 year olds competing against men. The ice surface adjustment can be an issue, but you know these guys are already competing against the more experienced players versus the CHL.

I like Yager. I really like his progress to date. But right now, until we see what he can do at WBS, he's a prospect that I don't have a lot of attachment to. He's not an Elite level player that we would build the next team around. He may be a good top 6 player. He may be an All-star type player. But we just don't know.

In the right trade, ie not a 23 year old 4th line plugger, I have no problem with Dubas moving Yager or Pickering.
I think the trade Yager for someone a couple of years older discussion was more relevant 2-3 years ago than today (like Poulin for Crouse as an example). Right now Yager will just be hitting his prime when the team starts to transition to the next generation of Penguins hockey and I'd rather see a 22 year old Yager than a 26 year old other player. You might be able to build around Yager and Pickering post Crosby and both will just be entering their career at that point. They might not work out, but someone a few years older from another team might not work out either.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cow_Master66 »

Daniel wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:27 am
FLPensFan wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:21 am

I think the trade Yager for someone a couple of years older discussion was more relevant 2-3 years ago than today (like Poulin for Crouse as an example). Right now Yager will just be hitting his prime when the team starts to transition to the next generation of Penguins hockey and I'd rather see a 22 year old Yager than a 26 year old other player. You might be able to build around Yager and Pickering post Crosby and both will just be entering their career at that point. They might not work out, but someone a few years older from another team might not work out either.
Totally....It's easy to see those 2 being potentially 2nd line F, 2nd pairing D to add onto what they should be picking up over the next 2-3 drafts/trades for futures. More likely is 1 (or both) gets dealt to find propel some magical cup run before Crosby retires/leaves.
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

Three Stars wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:28 pm
“I think we’ll get through the season and evaluate all of that. You’re talking about super competitive people, Sully and myself. If we sit here on April 17 and we haven’t advantage of the opportunity that lies ahead of us over the window of the next 21 days or three weeks, the players and Sully are too intelligent to think that we can do the same thing again next year in the exact same way can get a different result.”
Welp, there goes that narrative.
That is simply wordplay at this point. Really no different than the narrative that's been used the past 5+ years, regardless of who is in charge at the time. Doing things the exact same way and expecting different results is exactly how this team has been run for years.

The narrative remains until there are actual *actions* to change the narrative, not words.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Ned first goalie off. Looks to be getting the start. That's 3 in a row for him over Jarsss.
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

Carter and Harkins should not play tonight...heard Carter was a GTD and Harkins was on the ice. Big mistake not to run with the lineup from Tuesday.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

KG wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:10 am Ned first goalie off. Looks to be getting the start. That's 3 in a row for him over Jarsss.
Pretty interesting/disturbing breakdown of Jarry's annual second-half of the season slumps at Pensburgh: https://www.pensburgh.com/2024/3/28/241 ... half-trend

It is tempting to see if there's a trade market for Jarry, try to re-sign Nedjelkovic, and roll with him and Blomqvist next year.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

largegarlic wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:10 pm
KG wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:10 am Ned first goalie off. Looks to be getting the start. That's 3 in a row for him over Jarsss.
Pretty interesting/disturbing breakdown of Jarry's annual second-half of the season slumps at Pensburgh: https://www.pensburgh.com/2024/3/28/241 ... half-trend

It is tempting to see if there's a trade market for Jarry, try to re-sign Nedjelkovic, and roll with him and Blomqvist next year.
I would move Jarry without even blinking an eye to be honest. Goalies are the one position that you can figure out on a year to year basis if needed. I would be fine going with Ned and bringing in MAF for his swan song for 1 year and let Blomqvist have 1 more year as a #1 in WBS.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

100 percent. I believe the impact of one goalie versus another with regards to price differences is grossly overstated in most cases. A guy like Vas, Bob, etc making 10 million is not in my opinion statistically worth the difference of 8m or so against a guy like Ned etc.

I believe you can create a better roster, better defense, better offense, and more than compensate for any minor reduction statistically between a 2m and a 10m goalie. It's basically Moneyball. Let's say a 10m goalie stops .925 of the 2000 shots he sees a year and a 2m stops .905 of them (and I think I'm being generous in the numbers)... I would rather spend 8m on either 40+more goals on offense or a better defense that reduces those shots and that shot quality to even up the outcomes. Goalies are grossly over vauled in my opinion except for a few super rare instances.

The greatest goalies go cold and can go cold at the wrong time and vice versa for average goalies... see Matt Murray, Patrick Lalime, etc etc. The difference on your forward or defense of an extra 8m player is usually a huge difference statistically, but the goalie difference is not. Cycle through new young guys, decent journeyman and keep moving any talent that another team is dumb enough to over pay for. If someone wanted Jarry for a first +? I couldn't pack his bags fast enough. For a 2nd +? The right deal and he's gone for me. When a goalie is **** and loses a game with a 6GAA and a .750sp... it isn't any more of a loss than the star who loses with a 2gaa and a .950. Honestly, pretty much no NHL caliber goaltender is going to be a sub .900, 3+GAA on a decent team and the price of "top tier" goalie talent just isn't supported by the impact I believe.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

KG wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:17 pm
largegarlic wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:10 pm

I would move Jarry without even blinking an eye to be honest. Goalies are the one position that you can figure out on a year to year basis if needed. I would be fine going with Ned and bringing in MAF for his swan song for 1 year and let Blomqvist have 1 more year as a #1 in WBS.
I'd not be against that. If there's a return to be had for Jarry, go for it. Known quantity and the money could be used elsewhere
E-Ramone
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by E-Ramone »

Tristan Broz, Pens 2nd round pick, scored the OT winning goal today for Denver against UMass in the NCAA tournament. We could use some more clutch scorers.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Gruden sent back down….
yinzer69
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by yinzer69 »

KG wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:37 am Gruden sent back down….
omg fire Dubas!!! :roll: :scared:
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

DK speculating that Jarry may have barked at a young teammate during the Dallas game which is part of the reason why Ned has started 3 straight.

Hopefully Ned gets the start again tomorrow.

DK said the Pens are better without Jarry and they should trade him. He rarely speaks out like that about players. Something must have happened with Jarry.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

KG wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:40 am DK speculating that Jarry may have barked at a young teammate during the Dallas game which is part of the reason why Ned has started 3 straight.

Hopefully Ned gets the start again tomorrow.

DK said the Pens are better without Jarry and they should trade him. He rarely speaks out like that about players. Something must have happened with Jarry.
If true wouldn’t Sullivan have played him and celebrated his actions……..;)