FLPensFan's 10 Questions for a Dubas Offseason

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

FLPensFan's 10 Questions for a Dubas Offseason

Post by FLPensFan »

Did my "I'm Dubas for a day" thing earlier. Decided to look at the offseason, and see what are the 10 big questions for this team moving forward this upcoming offseason, ranked from most important to least important. I'll follow up at the end with some additional commentary.

1. Am I really keeping Sullivan?
--- 1 playoff series win in 7 years; missed playoffs last 2 years;
--- system seems stale and not suitable for current roster
--- No consistency for 3-5 game stretches for 80% of the season
--- Potential inability to hold vets accountable, or even acknowledge poor overall team play
--- A franchise worst PP
--- Are Dubas's hands tied by FSG? Was this year a secret "do bad" behind closed doors season? Is Dubas afraid of losing "future" Sullivan even though present Sullivan has no grip on this current roster?

2. If top 10 lottery finish, are we keeping the pick?
---A number of good players available that likely, instantly become our top prospect
---While next years draft is deeper in the 1st round, do you want to "bet" on being WORSE?

3. Are you bringing Guentzel back?
--- The bigger question is, does Jake WANT to come back.
--- Can the team afford to bring him back, without having to do weekly cap gymnastics like they have the past 2 years?

4. Who to trade in the offseason?
--- Only one of Rakell, Smith, Rust? Several?
--- Would you move one/both of Jarry/Pettersson for the right offer?
--- Too soon to move Graves or Karlsson?

5. Getting younger via trade
--- Who are you willing to sacrifice out of DOC, Puustinen, Puljujarvi, Bemstrom, Poulin, Ponomarev, Koivunen, Cruz, Yager, Pickering?
--- Where can we make a trade to acquire an under 25 player with at least 15g, 35-45 point potential?

6. Getting younger on the roster.
---How much of our current youth can help at NHL level? I don't see DOC, Puustinen, Puljujarvi, Bemstrom, and Poulin all in the top 12 every night.
---How much youth is too much youth?

7. Can Blomqvist handle a backup role next year?

8. Can Graves show any semblance of playing to his contract?

9. Am I REALLY bringing back Jeff Carter?
--Ideally, Eller is 4C
--Acciari still here as emergency center
--Really need a stronger 3C (Poulin, Domi, Roslovic?)

10. Is there any room for guys like Nieto and Harkins?
--Hopefully, the answer is NO.

Overall, I think Dubas really needs to cut ties with Sullivan...but won't do it. I'd be surprised if he committed to this role if FSG tied his hands on the coach. Dubas is paid too much money for too long to have that restriction on him.

I think the team needs to keep the top 10 pick if they land there. There are too many players that could potentially help this team in 2-3 years...maybe in Crosby's last year.

I don't think the team makes a huge push to bring back Guentzel, partly because, I don't think Guentzel has a strong desire to return. He has a better chance staying in Carolina, if that is possible. If pieces fall wrong and Guentzel cannot sign a new deal with a strong contender...then maybe he considers a return (but don't bank on it).

I think this team needs a shakeup in the top 6, aside from just Guentzel. I think Rakell and Smith are the top candidates, depending on what they can fetch if packaged with a young prospect. I think we need to play out another year with EK65 and Graves...I just don't see a favorable trade for us this year. Pettersson becomes the new Guentzel this season...he'll be 28 by this seasons end, be a UFA after 24-25 season, and be looking for a big raise...he's not a guy to sign long term on a 6-7M term and build around.

I think at least one of the new guys, or Poulin, or POJ, are used in a trade to bring in an under 25 player. Not sure who, betting it is up front somewhere.

In terms of youth, we need to get younger, but nobody we have right now is even a 100% surefire top 9 player. DOC and Puustinen have best shot at everyday lineup spot. Puljujarvi-Eller-Acciari would make a nice, strong forechecking 4th line. Where does that leave Bemstrom and Poulin? Getting younger is one thing, but putting 4-6 average to below average younger guys in the lineup just to say we are younger isn't the way, either.

Blomqvist is ahead of schedule. Will the team roll the dice with him as a backup? Can they acquire a solid 3rd stringer for WBS (Bring back Hellberg) so that if Blomqvist struggles, they have a backup plan in WBS? Blomqvist has been far above expectations this year. I say give him the backup spot next season and see how he handles it.

I really don't have an answer for Graves. I'm thinking he can't actually be worse. Can he actually turn things around and show a level of play closer to what he did in NJ?

I really hope Dubas is not really considering bringing back Jeff Carter. He didn't commit to anything, and really said they would need to see where Carter is at in the offseason. Carter reportedly likes it here, so does his family, and there was a suggestion that even if he retires, he may be given a developmental coaching job here, or a front office job. If by some crazy notion he is brought back...NO GIFT CONTRACTS!!!! League minimum, no NMC. Give him a 15 team NTC if you must, but no NMC.

Nieto and Harkins shouldn't see the ice again for this team. Nieto was a huge disappointment, even though Sullivan will try to hype up his effort on the PK as valuable. Nieto is still signed for next season. Stash him in the AHL, or trade him to someone else. Harkins...no further words needed besides NO!!!
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Re: FLPensFan's 10 Questions for a Dubas Offseason

Post by DelPen »

If Dubas keeps Mike Sullivan (MS) then that spells Dumbass
stonewizard51
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stonewizard51 »

IMHO, I'd like to see all the coaching staff go buh bye along with Carter, Nieto, Harkins, Graves, Rakell...etc
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

1. They have to change the coaching staff first and foremost.
2. Trade Smith and Rakell. They need to re-jigger the top 6.
3. Let Poulin and Ponomarev earn their way and play in the bottom 6. We need more youth.
4. Look to move one of if not both of Acciari and Eller.
5. Look to move Jarry.
6. Have discussions with Geno and Letang and see if they want to stay or are open to being moved.
7. Look to sell high on MP before the deadline and he is only a rental and avoid the Jake situation again.

This team is weird. The roster has flipped over quite a bit the last season but it still feels stale.

That's coaching. We need a fresh voice and system and a shot in the arm, badly.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:59 am 1. They have to change the coaching staff first and foremost.
3. Let Poulin and Ponomarev earn their way and play in the bottom 6. We need more youth.
5. Look to move Jarry.
6. Have discussions with Geno and Letang and see if they want to stay or are open to being moved.
7. Look to sell high on MP before the deadline and he is only a rental and avoid the Jake situation again.

This team is weird. The roster has flipped over quite a bit the last season but it still feels stale.

On #4, I can see doing that to get younger, but the available pool of replacements in UFA aren't going to be much younger, and Poulin and Ponomarev have a combined 5 NHL games played. There's no way the team can go into the season with those two as your 3C/4C without more NHL level experience. They fail, you're doomed. They get injured, you have no more NHL-level talent in the AHL to call up, and you're doomed.

Poulin needs to be on this roster next year, or traded. He's shown that he's ready. He's 23 and an RFA. He loses his waiver exemption status next season. He's got to either be in their plans, or shown the door. And I think he's done enough to earn a chance. Make him your 3C, play Eller at 4C. If Poulin stumbles, you can swap those 2. If Poulin just flat out stinks, he can be waived and Acciari steps in as 4C until we have someone in the system that can do the job.

Ponomarev will still have waiver status next season, so he can start in the AHL and get some time via callup during next season.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

I was thinking that another question to add to the list is: Does Crosby want to sign a new deal? I think he probably will, and I know other people have been saying you can't let one player determine the direction of the franchise, but if Crosby decides he wants to go elsewhere, that obviously drastically alters the way Dubas has to approach next season.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Wondering what type of number Nedeljkovic is looking at for next season?

I'm more than okay going with Ned/Blom. Or Ned/someone else?
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by Guinness »

largegarlic wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:26 pm I was thinking that another question to add to the list is: Does Crosby want to sign a new deal? I think he probably will, and I know other people have been saying you can't let one player determine the direction of the franchise, but if Crosby decides he wants to go elsewhere, that obviously drastically alters the way Dubas has to approach next season.
I think Sid will re-sign. But if he doesn't, he'll need to be moved at the deadline, and everyone else who isn't nailed down needs to be moved as well. Total fires sale. garner as many picks/prospects as possible from the trading of Sid, Geno, Letang, Rust.... everyone. Basically just kickstart the rebuild, post haste.

I'm in no hurry for X Gen 2.0, but unlike that disastrous decline, we now have very valuable trade pieces, and if Sid is out for a new contract, then it starts with him. He's worth a 1st, maybe 2, frankly, a couple of prospects and a roster player. Geno is probably worth a first and a prospect. Letang probably gets a second and a roster player. We didn't have any of that back in 2001... we just limped along until the lottery balls gave us Flower, Geno, Sid and Staal in succession. That's not going to happen again, so Dubas better have his belt buckled tight, drink a good cup of coffee every morning, and get to work.

But I do think Sid will re-sign... ;)
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

I would do a drastical overhaul of roster and of course whole new coaching staff!

Among players I'm keeping only listed down : ---- and I would try to bring Jake back with up to 8.5M deal per -
( Jarry, Malkin, Rakell, Smith, Carter, Letang, Graves, Nieto - 36M gone with a bit less money coming back in thru trades if possible)

Guentzel - Crosby - Rust
Bunting - NEW GUY - NEW GUY (both guys must be under 27)
DOC - Poulin - Puustinen
Puljujarvi - Eller - Acciari (decent 4th line and two solid PK guys staying)
13F - Ponomarev

Petterson - Karlsson
Joseph - NEW RHD (between 25-28yrs)
Ludvig - NEW RHD (same, 24-27yrs)
7th D - St.Ivany

goalies - Nedeljkovic and Blomquist, if we would need upgrade do it at deadline..
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

MS... Yeah we know.

Trade Rust if the return is right (he's actually still putting up pretty solid numbers and should have real value). If you can't get a great return, keep him. Moving guys like Rakell and Smith just to move them for bad returns isn't a plan in my opinion. This team isn't going anywhere next year no matter what moves you make, so moves need to exploit high value on players we have for greater returns and if they aren't bringing that, just keep them.

This is also true for Jarry. He should bring a real return. Play two goalies for a total of 4m or less. Trust me, it'll be fine. Jarry is not bringing us 3 to 4 TIMES the performance of a 1.5 million goalie. This is where you need some Moneyball hockey. Spending an extra 4m on a marginally better goalie is unlikely to generate a better return that spending 4m more on a better F/D. If you can get real assets, move him.

Ditto for MP. If he brings real assets, move him. None of these players are "difference makers" so they shouldn't be immune from movement. Yeah, they could be important cogs on a real team with actual competitive value, but that isn't this team anymore. They need to be turned into a greater, stronger future faster. Is MP more valuable to the team as say, a 2nd, 3rd and a prospect or on the ice at 7m? Let's be serious here.

No issue with Eller as 4c.

Don't want to move Graves until I've seen him without Dear Leader. If you can move him and actually profit, then fine, but otherwise definitely don't pay to move him.

Jake. Is. Not. Returning. The idea being floated by attention hungry click thirsty media morons is laughable. No chance. He isn't going to leave money on the table AND return to a terrible and directionless team (and currently terrible and directionless organization) AND give up any real chance to win again probably for the rest of his likely 10 remaining year career.

Sadly, Malkin isn't going anywhere. Only way we are getting out of that terrible contract is moving him and that won't happen. He doesn't seem to actually really want to play anymore and he certainly isn't going to be interested in doing it somewhere where the country club position he enjoys here goes away. Malkin playing on a team where he'll be held accountable, see consequences and a coach that doesn't just let him do whatever he wants? Noooooo chance. He'll collect his 6m a year here and then retire. Said it before, I'll say it again it was PAINFULLY obvious signing him was an enormous mistake and it's insane to me that the supposed experts who get paid to make these decisions for a living didn't want to see that. His contract will be the new Jeff Carter special. It is what it is.

Letang is similar and different from malkin. He's still useful but... 6m until he's 41? Just like malkin, when they signed that I was bewildered. It's not an abortion on the roster currently but if it doesn't get there by contract end, I'll be shocked. Now you actually probably can move Letang and if he's open to it, you absolutely should explore it. By move, I mean for gain, not paying to give him away. If you can't benefit in a trade, just eat the 6m for the next 15 years or whatever he's signed for. This team isn't going to compete again for the next 5 years probably at the earliest, and based on the ability the organization has demonstrated in recent years with regards to draft, develop, acquire and manage talent intelligently... probably longer. You can afford to just hold some bad contracts like letang at 6m if you can't flip them for assets.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Admin wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:31 pm Wondering what type of number Nedeljkovic is looking at for next season?

I'm more than okay going with Ned/Blom. Or Ned/someone else?
I'm betting that we could re-sign Ned in the 2-2.5M AAV category. While he started off hot, his numbers have cooled off. We know the team in front of him isn't playing well and are going to skew his numbers a bit, but he still dropped off a good bit.

In his first 13 games, he was 7-3-2, 2.62GAA, .917SV%
In his last 13 games, he is 3-3-3, 3.45 GAA, .881SV%

I'd sign him to a 2-year deal at 2.25M.
maopens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by maopens »

I've lost all hope that this organization cares about anything other than turning a profit.

Sullivan is either incapable or unable to make any difference with this team. If he comes back, next season will be the same, if not worse. He does not appear to add anything to this team. Nothing. 4-0 starts slipping away and what does the coach do to (at least) try to stop the slide? When does this team ever try to play a different style, a different way? When you losing endlessly, doing the same thing over and over is beyond stupid.

I haven't watched a minute of the last 4 games. I just can't. First time since 2005 that I've ignored 4 consecutive games.

I'd be energized if FLPensFan was installed as coach. He expresses more ideas for this team than the entire coaching staff and GM have shown us all year.

Disgusted by this season.
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

Another point of view: It’s the core.

https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/pittsbu ... as-repeat/
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

FLPensFan wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:23 am Did my "I'm Dubas for a day" thing earlier. Decided to look at the offseason, and see what are the 10 big questions for this team moving forward this upcoming offseason, ranked from most important to least important. I'll follow up at the end with some additional commentary.

--- 1 playoff series win in 7 years; missed playoffs last 2 years;
--- system seems stale and not suitable for current roster
--- No consistency for 3-5 game stretches for 80% of the season
--- Potential inability to hold vets accountable, or even acknowledge poor overall team play
--- A franchise worst PP
--- Are Dubas's hands tied by FSG? Was this year a secret "do bad" behind closed doors season? Is Dubas afraid of losing "future" Sullivan even though present Sullivan has no grip on this current roster?

---A number of good players available that likely, instantly become our top prospect
---While next years draft is deeper in the 1st round, do you want to "bet" on being WORSE?

--- The bigger question is, does Jake WANT to come back.
--- Can the team afford to bring him back, without having to do weekly cap gymnastics like they have the past 2 years?

--- Who are you willing to sacrifice out of DOC, Puustinen, Puljujarvi, Bemstrom, Poulin, Ponomarev, Koivunen, Cruz, Yager, Pickering?
--- Where can we make a trade to acquire an under 25 player with at least 15g, 35-45 point potential?

---How much of our current youth can help at NHL level? I don't see DOC, Puustinen, Puljujarvi, Bemstrom, and Poulin all in the top 12 every night.

--Ideally, Eller is 4C

Overall, I think Dubas really needs to cut ties with Sullivan...but won't do it. I'd be surprised if he committed to this role if FSG tied his hands on the coach. Dubas is paid too much money for too long to have that restriction on him.

I think the team needs to keep the top 10 pick if they land there. There are too many players that could potentially help this team in 2-3 years...maybe in Crosby's last year.

I don't think the team makes a huge push to bring back Guentzel, partly because, I don't think Guentzel has a strong desire to return. He has a better chance staying in Carolina, if that is possible. If pieces fall wrong and Guentzel cannot sign a new deal with a strong contender...then maybe he considers a return (but don't bank on it).

I think this team needs a shakeup in the top 6, aside from just Guentzel. I think Rakell and Smith are the top candidates, depending on what they can fetch if packaged with a young prospect. I think we need to play out another year with EK65 and Graves...I just don't see a favorable trade for us this year. Pettersson becomes the new Guentzel this season...he'll be 28 by this seasons end, be a UFA after 24-25 season, and be looking for a big raise...he's not a guy to sign long term on a 6-7M term and build around.

I think at least one of the new guys, or Poulin, or POJ, are used in a trade to bring in an under 25 player. Not sure who, betting it is up front somewhere.

In terms of youth, we need to get younger, but nobody we have right now is even a 100% surefire top 9 player. DOC and Puustinen have best shot at everyday lineup spot. Puljujarvi-Eller-Acciari would make a nice, strong forechecking 4th line. Where does that leave Bemstrom and Poulin? Getting younger is one thing, but putting 4-6 average to below average younger guys in the lineup just to say we are younger isn't the way, either.

Blomqvist is ahead of schedule. Will the team roll the dice with him as a backup? Can they acquire a solid 3rd stringer for WBS (Bring back Hellberg) so that if Blomqvist struggles, they have a backup plan in WBS? Blomqvist has been far above expectations this year. I say give him the backup spot next season and see how he handles it.

I really don't have an answer for Graves. I'm thinking he can't actually be worse. Can he actually turn things around and show a level of play closer to what he did in NJ?

I really hope Dubas is not really considering bringing back Jeff Carter. He didn't commit to anything, and really said they would need to see where Carter is at in the offseason. Carter reportedly likes it here, so does his family, and there was a suggestion that even if he retires, he may be given a developmental coaching job here, or a front office job. If by some crazy notion he is brought back...NO GIFT CONTRACTS!!!! League minimum, no NMC. Give him a 15 team NTC if you must, but no NMC.

Nieto and Harkins shouldn't see the ice again for this team. Nieto was a huge disappointment, even though Sullivan will try to hype up his effort on the PK as valuable. Nieto is still signed for next season. Stash him in the AHL, or trade him to someone else. Harkins...no further words needed besides NO!!!
This is why FLPensFan is a cut above the typical board poster. Well though out and dissected.
Let's say no to Jeff Carter and I would think Reilly Smith will be dealt. I still believe we'll see something akin to the Kirby Dach to Montreal for a 1st round pick from a few years back—in other words draft capital for young NHLers or on-the-cusp NHLers.
Daniel
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Daniel »

FLPensFan wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:00 pm
KG wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:59 am 1. They have to change the coaching staff first and foremost.
5. Look to move Jarry.

On #4, I can see doing that to get younger, but the available pool of replacements in UFA aren't going to be much younger, and Poulin and Ponomarev have a combined 5 NHL games played. There's no way the team can go into the season with those two as your 3C/4C without more NHL level experience. They fail, you're doomed. They get injured, you have no more NHL-level talent in the AHL to call up, and you're doomed.

Poulin needs to be on this roster next year, or traded. He's shown that he's ready. He's 23 and an RFA. He loses his waiver exemption status next season. He's got to either be in their plans, or shown the door. And I think he's done enough to earn a chance. Make him your 3C, play Eller at 4C. If Poulin stumbles, you can swap those 2. If Poulin just flat out stinks, he can be waived and Acciari steps in as 4C until we have someone in the system that can do the job.

Ponomarev will still have waiver status next season, so he can start in the AHL and get some time via callup during next season.
I think keeping Eller and Acciari as a 4th. line is fine. If the kids earn a 3rd line spot and more of them force Eller and Acciari off the roster, that's great trade them. If not, you have 2/3 of a nice 4th line.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

1. This is going to be unpopular but I keep Sullivan. I fire Reirden and let Sullivan know that a slow start next season and he's out. I'm fine with giving Vellucci a HC shot . What is frustrating with Sullivan is he had a hand in developing young guys in WBS he just hasn't developed anyone in awhile.

2. I'm 100 percent keeping a top 8 pick.

3. No on Guentzel I love the guy but this team has so many holes. Sign a Crosby LW sign a Malkin RW and a 3C

4. I would trade Smith, get a pick back and use the cap space to improve the team

5. I would definitely trade for someone like Pinto. I would give up Yager and the pick we get from the Canes. 3C is a big hole and a guy like Pinto can push Malkin out.

6. DOC and Puustinen I can see playing each night. Bemstrom is trash and Puljujarvi is a good extra forward to plug in for Accari. I want to see Poulin get 5-10 games to see what we have definitely can't count on him.

7. Not to start I'd bring back Hellberg or someone like that on the cheap then bring up Bloomqvist mid season.

8. Yes let's see how he looks next season possibly under a new coach.

9. Yes if you can get a pick for Accari

10. No. Both should be waived
brwi
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by brwi »

FLPensFan wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:23 am Did my "I'm Dubas for a day" thing earlier. Decided to look at the offseason, and see what are the 10 big questions for this team moving forward this upcoming offseason, ranked from most important to least important. I'll follow up at the end with some additional commentary.
1. Am I really keeping Sullivan? I believe he indeed is. Now the matter of expiring contracts for Reirden and Vellucci is another matter. I can't see any reason at all for a new deal for Reirden and Vellucci may be looking elsewhere because he's on the coaching staff of a non-playoff team on the decline.

At least from what Dubas is saying publicly and by his actions, he's going to try the fire the players approach instead of the coach.

Yes.

The only way I see Guentzel coming back is if he wins another Cup with Carolina this season and wants to start his off season/summers in late April the next few years and not have to endure long seasons with playoff hockey. Even if he'd settle for a real lowball offer of dollars and term, don't see why he'd return unless he's very much in love with Pittsburgh living.

Everyone can see what is happening with the Pens and they aren't going to be a desirable destination team.

Trade Rakell and Smith, keep Rust.

Yes to both. Pettersson will have the most value this summer and other GMs may overlook that after 60 or so games into a season he has little left to give and goes from being a very good defensive dman to so-so at best. He's just too limited physically to pay 6M or so to in the future and the time to move him is now.

Jarry can probably get moved but the return might be underwhelming because goalie trades are usually lopsided in favor of the acquiring team and there's going to be better goaltenders available. Still, he's not worth the contract to the Pens right now or near future.

Doubt anyone wants Graves without some retention and same with Karlsson, only a lot more. Might as well keep both because Pens shouldn't have any cap issues going forward and maybe Graves, POJ and Pettersson all shovel some performance enhancers this summer so they don't get knocked all over the ice in the d-zone, especially in front of the net.

Karlsson probably has played the best defense of his career this year, and while that's a very low bar and he still makes a load of bad decisions to go with too casual of efforts at times, he's not been an issue beyond the mystery of why he and everyone else have been awful on the PP. I can see his increased focus on defense affecting his production 5v5, but not on the PP.

Put DOC on the 3rd line and give up the idea that he's a top-6 guy, he's not. Perfectly fine though as a 3rd liner. Sacrifice Bemstron. Puljujarvi is very cheap and worth it on the bottom 6. Give Poulin every chance in training camp to show he belongs and dump him if he doesn't. Keep all the rest and if the plan is to keep Eller at 3C, put Pono at 4C.

That will be tough but amidst trading Rakell, Smith and Jarry, Pens should be able to get at least two guys that fit into that category.

While rushing youth along can be developmentally bad, if the rosters has vets, Sullivan isn't going to play the youth at all so it's a quandary. I'd rather see too much youth than not enough when you have an aged roster that likely features a lot of over-30's players.

I say give him a shot.

Doubtful to me because his underlying numbers(besides +/-) prior to Pittsburgh weren't good. Looks like the Pens have a real expensive 3rd pair dman for several years.

--Ideally, Eller is 4C

No on Carter returning. Acciari goes to wing where he belongs. Eller and Poulin battle it out for 3C. Domi wouldn't be a bad 3C option.

Please NO NO NO.

Agreed with all the FLP commentary at the end.
yinzer69
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by yinzer69 »

maopens wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:18 pm I've lost all hope that this organization cares about anything other than turning a profit.

Sullivan is either incapable or unable to make any difference with this team. If he comes back, next season will be the same, if not worse. He does not appear to add anything to this team. Nothing. 4-0 starts slipping away and what does the coach do to (at least) try to stop the slide? When does this team ever try to play a different style, a different way? When you losing endlessly, doing the same thing over and over is beyond stupid.

I haven't watched a minute of the last 4 games. I just can't. First time since 2005 that I've ignored 4 consecutive games.

I'd be energized if FLPensFan was installed as coach. He expresses more ideas for this team than the entire coaching staff and GM have shown us all year.

Classic bandwagon/fair weather fan post. Team aged out and is in steep decline, this dude is done with them. He'll be the first one back once they make the playoffs again. Classic.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

yinzer69 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:04 pm
maopens wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:18 pm I've lost all hope that this organization cares about anything other than turning a profit.

Classic bandwagon/fair weather fan post. Team aged out and is in steep decline, this dude is done with them. He'll be the first one back once they make the playoffs again. Classic.
If he hasn't watched a minute of the last 4 games ...

... how does he know what Sullivan did or did not try in the last game?

:?
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

I love me some lists!

This season went out like a candle buried in a dungheap. Rather quickly and it left a bad smell. Nothing to be done about it now.

- Me? No. I think he has qualities, but it's been a decade and our "core" is perhaps a little too comfortable with him. It happens. Lost the room I think it's called here? It's time to move on, gracefully, in the off-season preferably.

I remember a football game (I've long stopped watching it, yall might call it soccer if you must). Euro2004, a group match the Netherlands vs Czechia. Two very strong teams at the time. The Netherlands is up 2-1 two thirds of the way in. Winger Arjen Robben has been flying all game, wreaking havoc and generating scoring chances non-stop, best player on the field. The coach was a grinder in his own day, roll-up-your-sleeves and play very hard defensively. He subs out Robben and puts in Paul Bosvelt, a grinder and bruiser type defensive midfielder. The offense peters out completely, Czechs go on to win 3-2. There is an explanation for the move at the time and I suppose it's logical -- but sabotaging your own offense to be more solid at back, but in a "safe pair of hands" older veteran...
This is what Sullivan is to me. It frustrates me to no end and I can't bear it at times!! I can to some extent understand Sully when he does the same kinda thing, but I hate it with a passion.

- Keep!! A guaranteed top-10 pick vs a maybe-higher-top-10 pick next year? I'd only swap a guaranteed top-10 pick for an almost guaranteed top-3 pick next year. We are not that bad and we might be in a similar position next year. If next year's draft is deeper, trade for picks, but keep this one. We need it.

- Yes.*
If that is on the table at all. Much depends on whether Jake even wants to return to the 'Burgh and, let's face it, not compete for the playoffs next year. Then we need to offer money/term that he finds agreeable. I'm not sure we can do that either. But if he's willing to not play for a contender and have an okay if not great contract, sign the man. I'd say odds are 1:20? Not good. Not expecting Guentzel next year and I've made my peace with that.

Anyone not nailed down and age >25 for a reasonable return. Up to two of Rakell (NTC), Smith (NTC) and Rust (NMC). One of Acciari (NTC) and Eller. Jarry if someone wants him for a return. Add a 1A/1B type goalie and cycle him with Ned -- Blomqvist should get opportunities to play. And for the love of the hockey gods keep some roster space open to move <1M contracts up and down!!

Anyone is available for a decent return. Someone who scores goals is what we need (duh!) if that means we ship out a prospect or 'newer' player on the NHL roster, so be it. Yager, Pickering, Koivunen, Poulin, Ponomarev etc are the types I'd keep until I knew what they'd do at the big club. DOC, we know what he does and what he produces. Bemström we get to see on a nightly basis, same with Puustinen and Puljujärvi.

Worth doing. I'd guess about half the roster should be younger than.. (arbitrary cut off) 25-26 for a team that's rebuilding? Nobodies and pluggers that are older are expendable and should be discriminated against in favour of younger guys that haven't been seen as much on the NHL level. Complaining that player X or Y has only 4 games at the NHL is well and good, but if he doesn't get the opportunity because someone calls up Johnstone or Hinostroza -- or Nieto is on the roster.. nope. That should stop.

- No. But make him 3rd fiddle and call him up for a bunch of games. If a goalie gets injured for a stretch, or we trade Jarry and get cheaper on goaltending, he can become backup and play the second game of back to backs and so on. Ideally, I would like him to get 7-10 games? If he shows he's got it, give some more.

- Any semblance? Yeah he can. He's been awful this year but there's a better defenseman in there. Fairly sure it's not a 4.5M LD, but he can become an alright 2nd pairing guy. Not this season and someone (cough, coaching), needs to address his game sooner rather than later. I've not given up all hope yet, especially since his contract is not something we can get rid of really.

- No! No! No! Bad FLPF! How dare you post the thought! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Carter wants to play some vague role in the org and help out --- without dressing for hockey games --- fine, cool. He wants a place on a hockey roster, maybe Wheeling needs a 3C?
Keep one of Acciari or Eller at least - Eller at 4C would be good. We've missed a good 3C for a while now. Seriously though, this should be something coming from Wilkes-Barre. Give Poulin a shot. Ponomarev if healthy. How far along is Yager?

- No. There are a dozen other guys in Wilkes-Barre that can replace the single goal and seven assists these two have combined for.
Three Stars
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Three Stars »

Pitts wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:50 pm
yinzer69 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:04 pm

If he hasn't watched a minute of the last 4 games ...

... how does he know what Sullivan did or did not try in the last game?

:?
How do you think people would react if our franchise was this one?

https://theathletic.com/5359059/2024/03 ... ed_article
Zalapski33
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Zalapski33 »

Many good thoughts on this from Fellow Pens fans,here are mine:

1-Sullivan has to be replaced.His inability to correct the major flaws that have hurt season(PP failure,blown 3rd Period Leads,Slow Starts,awful play down the stretch)the not allowing the younger Players to get the opportunity to see if they can develop and his reliance on the same system which is too easy to defend and defeat makes it beyond time for a change.Respect for his accomplishments are duly noted but the Pittsburgh Penguins have not won a Playoff Series since 2018 and have 2 consecutive seasons where they missed even qualifying.

2-Have to keep the Top 10 Draft Pick.Younger Talented Players need to be on this Roster and there will be a huge opportunity to do this with that Pick.

3-I would bring Guentzel back,productive Wingers like him make a difference.IMHO he has a lot of good Hockey to Offer.

4-Trading Jarry and Pettersson likely offer the best return.Smith and Rakell should be high on the list.Rust is a possibility worth exploring but only if they can't move Smith or Rakell.

5-Whatever Jarry and Pettersson can possibly get them is the only scenario that could bring in some Youth.Looking at potentially swapping a Younger Prospect like Yager or Pickering should only be explored if there is a chance to get a Younger Player that can be on the Roster

6-Huge influx of Youth on this Roster has to happen,specifically at Forward..DOC,Puustinen and Poulin should be all on next Years Team.Koivunen and Ponomarev should be given the opportunity to see what they offer.Cannot continue to go with the bottom 6 being filled with older guys.Also can't give up on Puljujarvi as a bottom 6 guy.

7-Blomqvist might need a little more time but I can see him getting on the Pens Roster at some point next season.Ned should be there along with another Veteran but they should be OK with promoting Blomqvist in season.

8-Graves contract forces him to be on this Team.He likely has played his worst Hockey but with the knowledge obtained from his awful season he won't anything close to a Top 4 Defenseman.

9-Carter can't and won't be back,not because of his play this year but money,age and declining performance call for this.Eller should be the 3rd Line Center but they can't bring both Acciari and him back.

10-Nieto and Harkins cannot be on next years team.Nothing to offer by keeping them.

The other elephant in the Penguins room is what we have seen from Letang and Malkin this year.Uninspired,Inflexible and damaging play from both of these "Core" Guys.Can a new Coach find a way to work with them?They arent going anywhere IMHO.
Karlsson will likely be much more productive.Crosby still has so much to Offer.This team has to be shaken up from both their style and mentality.

A lot of work to get this team in the right direction going forward.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cow_Master66 »

Anyone who thinks Jake would even entertain coming back here after hearing the interview with him in the pens/canes postgame is delusional. He's clearly done with this organization, not to mention there's no reason to be chomping at the bit to get back onto a sinking ship....
maopens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by maopens »

Sure looks like Jarry's replacement is getting an extended audition. Haven't heard any rumor of Jarry being injured.

If he isn't worthy of starting then you can't pay the guy $5mil to sit. I'm guessing Jarry is moved, if possible, in the offseason?
yinzer69
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by yinzer69 »

The whining and complaining about playing Carter/Harkins over Gruden is hilarious. Harkins and Gruden are the same, both are fine as an injury fill-ins on the 4th line but neither one should regularly be in the lineup. Both of those guys are quad A players.