Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by penny lane »

Huge coaching decision. Has to know the team is playing best in front of Ned.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Still think I'd go with Ned. Off until Thursday after tonight.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

Admin wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:40 am Still think I'd go with Ned. Off until Thursday after tonight.
I'd give it to Ned unless he says he wouldn't mind a night off. And he won't say that. Stick with what works at this point, Ned has earned his place in net for now.

I wouldn't play Jarry at all, while we're around that playoff spot. And if we drop out of contention, give Blomqvist a call. The only situation I'd play Jarry, is if Ned is hurt.

Either way, Ned and Jarry are very close in performance, but Jarry's a bit of head case, where Ned is more stable. I know who I'd want behind me as a defenceman.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Ned is the first goalie off. Riding the hot hand. Just hope he can hold up!
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

Just hope they don't wear him down. He only played 15 games last season, although he played in 59 for Detroit in 2021-22 which was the most NHL games in a season for him. He's up to 33 now.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Sullivan confirms Ned starting.

Also hearing Ryan Shea is stuck in Buffalo with a immigration issue. Penguins fairly confident he'll make it to Toronto in time for the game.
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

FLPensFan wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:29 pm Sullivan confirms Ned starting.

Also hearing Ryan Shea is stuck in Buffalo with a immigration issue. Penguins fairly confident he'll make it to Toronto in time for the game.
Hearing he chose the wrong type of bacon in the "So you are aboot to go to Canada eh?" TSA test.
yinzer69
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by yinzer69 »

FLPensFan wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:29 pm Sullivan confirms Ned starting.

I heard Sullivan asked customs to block Shea from getting into Canada so he doesn't have to play him because he is too young.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

I forgot about Big Z.
ahawk9
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by ahawk9 »

I've always been intrigued by Z. He has flashes of something really good, then he'll be quiet. Not sure if it's another situation where his ice times continues to diminish and he grips the stick waiting for his demotion or if he's just inconsistent.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Z has put up .86 points per game. Not as good as Ned but still. 8-)

https://theahl.com/stats/player-stats/3 ... 1&league=4
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

ahawk9 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:34 pm I've always been intrigued by Z. He has flashes of something really good, then he'll be quiet. Not sure if it's another situation where his ice times continues to diminish and he grips the stick waiting for his demotion or if he's just inconsistent.
That's the criticism I am hearing on Zohorna. He shows flashes, and then is completely invisible. And when he's invisible, he's not even making an impact away from the puck. His ice time has fluctuated a bit, but not so dramatically that it should be an issue. Most times, he's playing 4th line minutes. He had 6 points his first 13 games of the season. His high TOI in that stretch was 15 minutes, but he had 9 games around the 9:30 to 11:30 range. He then had a 14 game stretch (with 1 healthy scratch in the middle) where he had zero points. He had 4 games above 10 minutes, and 8 games under 9 minutes.

He seems like he is stuck in that good at the AHL, not good enough to keep a full time NHL job level of performance.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

He’s currently on a five-game point scoring streak.

https://theahl.com/stats/player/8464/81/radim-zohorna
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Looks like ZAR is getting called up to play for the Wings/Pens game.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Anyone else notice that we have been leading after 2 periods quite a bit and then something happens in the 3rd period to cause blown leads. Could it possibly be rolling 4 lines and playing players under 30 for 40 minutes and then shortening the bench and playing guys over 30 a lot more while breaking up lines that were at worst being effective at holding a lead is not the best idea?

Hopefully Dubas sees this. He either needs to stop bringing in players over 30 that are accessory players like Carter, Nieto and Acciari so if for some reason Sullivan isn’t fired players like this aren’t available to bench guys like Puustinen and Puljujarvi late in a game.

But these players do have a role on some teams but Ivan can’t help himself. If you really think players like Carter have something to offer off the ice and in a pinch have the experience to play a limited role in a top 9 due to an injury or they have a specific skill set that’s fine but we need a different coach who knows not to play someone like Carter 10+ minutes on back to back nights while having players under 25 play almost half that or are scratched one of those games.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

FLPensFan wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:25 pm
ahawk9 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:34 pm I've always been intrigued by Z. He has flashes of something really good, then he'll be quiet. Not sure if it's another situation where his ice times continues to diminish and he grips the stick waiting for his demotion or if he's just inconsistent.
That's the criticism I am hearing on Zohorna. He shows flashes, and then is completely invisible. And when he's invisible, he's not even making an impact away from the puck. His ice time has fluctuated a bit, but not so dramatically that it should be an issue. Most times, he's playing 4th line minutes. He had 6 points his first 13 games of the season. His high TOI in that stretch was 15 minutes, but he had 9 games around the 9:30 to 11:30 range. He then had a 14 game stretch (with 1 healthy scratch in the middle) where he had zero points. He had 4 games above 10 minutes, and 8 games under 9 minutes.

He seems like he is stuck in that good at the AHL, not good enough to keep a full time NHL job level of performance.
It depends what you want to get out of Big Z. A guy like Nylander or Ty Smith you get a lot of offense in the AHL but it hasn’t translated much to the NHL on several teams and they don’t offer much else.

Zohorna has the skills to score in the AHL but he also can play a game suited to bottom 6 because he’s a big man who is a good skater and when he has a scoring chance he has shown he can do something. There’s no reason he can’t be an effective 4th line option and should had been in the lineup over Harkins all year. There is nothing he does better than Z.

I’d love to see a 4th line of Puljujarvi-Poulin-Zohorna next year with Ponomarev in the mix too. Move Smith and have Acciari with Eller and Puustinen on the 3rd line and make Nieto fight for a 4th line spot and actually reward it on merit.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

DelPen wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:14 am

It depends what you want to get out of Big Z. A guy like Nylander or Ty Smith you get a lot of offense in the AHL but it hasn’t translated much to the NHL on several teams and they don’t offer much else.

Zohorna has the skills to score in the AHL but he also can play a game suited to bottom 6 because he’s a big man who is a good skater and when he has a scoring chance he has shown he can do something. There’s no reason he can’t be an effective 4th line option and should had been in the lineup over Harkins all year. There is nothing he does better than Z.

I’d love to see a 4th line of Puljujarvi-Poulin-Zohorna next year with Ponomarev in the mix too. Move Smith and have Acciari with Eller and Puustinen on the 3rd line and make Nieto fight for a 4th line spot and actually reward it on merit.
I think that bottom 6 will struggle to score goals. Sullivan needs to go back to a 3rd line that can provide secondary scoring, and a 4th line that can provide energy and exceptionally strong defense.

I would trade Nieto or bury him in the minors, put Acciari on 4RW, and let Poulin, Ponomarev, Puljujarvi, Zohorna, and Gruden fight for those other 4th line spots.

For the 3rd line, I'd go out and find a late 20s UFA who you can count on to get you in that 15-18 goal range, and pair him with Eller and Puustinen. Or trade Smith with a pick and prospect for a young 20s guy who can put up those types of numbers.

Crosby is still playing lights out, but every year that goes by, the core is going to need more secondary scoring support.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:40 am
DelPen wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:14 am

I think that bottom 6 will struggle to score goals. Sullivan needs to go back to a 3rd line that can provide secondary scoring, and a 4th line that can provide energy and exceptionally strong defense.

I would trade Nieto or bury him in the minors, put Acciari on 4RW, and let Poulin, Ponomarev, Puljujarvi, Zohorna, and Gruden fight for those other 4th line spots.

For the 3rd line, I'd go out and find a late 20s UFA who you can count on to get you in that 15-18 goal range, and pair him with Eller and Puustinen. Or trade Smith with a pick and prospect for a young 20s guy who can put up those types of numbers.

Crosby is still playing lights out, but every year that goes by, the core is going to need more secondary scoring support.
I think DOC would be a perfect 3LW next season. I would be OK going with DOC-Eller-Puustinen to start next season, although I doubt Sully would use Puustinen the right way (if Sully is still here). I think we need a real Jake replacement first and foremost.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Old enemies, friend on the wings roster. Maatta still playing.
Hoping NED has inside data on some. I have never liked David Perron. He quit on Mike Johnston team.

Big push - need to bring the atmosphere!
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

Did Sullivan ever explain his OT decision not to start Crosby or Malkin?
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Other than the Crosby skate thing I don’t think so.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Ned gets the nod again tonight. 11th straight start.

He’s become the current version of Johan Moose Hedberg!

Let’s roll!
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

I would go with Jarry personally. Ned looks tired and his save % is falling