Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by Pruezy11881 »

There’s already talk of "a Sidney Crosby extension coming in July. The Pittsburgh Penguins aren’t going through a rebuild. Not yet. They’ll be active this summer trying to retool on the fly. I do wonder, though, if the mandate from current ownership to remain competitive has anything to do with whispers that Fenway Sports Group is gauging the market for the team. Hmm.
First I've heard about this. Is this really true??
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Pruezy11881 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:29 am
There’s already talk of "a Sidney Crosby extension coming in July. The Pittsburgh Penguins aren’t going through a rebuild. Not yet. They’ll be active this summer trying to retool on the fly. I do wonder, though, if the mandate from current ownership to remain competitive has anything to do with whispers that Fenway Sports Group is gauging the market for the team. Hmm.
Where'd that piece come from?
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Seeing the run this team has been on, you can easily make the argument that the team under-achieved for 90% of the season and the roster should have been good enough to make the playoffs. The players have it in them, they just didn't produce and play well. That smells like a coaching change is needed to me!

Same story last season. Dubas turns over 40% of the roster and we might miss the playoffs by 1 point again? What's left to do?
Pruezy11881
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pruezy11881 »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:42 am
Pagnotta from The Fourth Period
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:21 pm Seeing the run this team has been on, you can easily make the argument that the team under-achieved for 90% of the season and the roster should have been good enough to make the playoffs. The players have it in them, they just didn't produce and play well. That smells like a coaching change is needed to me!

Same story last season. Dubas turns over 40% of the roster and we might miss the playoffs by 1 point again? What's left to do?
The situation Dubas has put them in is, he needs Graves to magically become a solid d-man next year, or the results won't be much different. We aren't trading Letang. Graves is not tradeable at the moment. Karlsson is all but untradeable unless we retain a boatload or get an absolutely awful return. They may need to trade Pettersson or give him a 5-6M AAV deal.

There are a few LHD that we could get...Gostisbehere, Skjei, or Zadorov...but they don't fit with Graves here, and POJ has outplayed Graves. I'm ok with starting with St. Ivany on 3rd pairing RD. Do we let Graves, Ludvig and Shea battle for that last 3LD spot? There isn't a ton that is a sure-fire upgrade on the bottom pairing available in the UFA market.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Pruezy11881 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:23 pm
What exactly does it mean? I highly doubt the league would let them move the team. Is Fenway thinking of selling already?
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Pitts wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:19 pm
Pruezy11881 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:23 pm
What exactly does it mean? I highly doubt the league would let them move the team. Is Fenway thinking of selling already?
I can't find anything from 4th period on this. Their site has no search option so wherever it may be buried, it'll stay there I guess. They aren't going to be allowed to move. And as you said, I don't know why they would sell already. They'll lose money. I do know that there were some rumors of Red Sox and Liverpool being sold. Red Sox stuff was pretty quickly shot down. Liverpool...rumors still persist.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

"I can't find anything from 4th period on this. Their site has no search option so wherever it may be buried, it'll stay there I guess. They aren't going to be allowed to move. And as you said, I don't know why they would sell already. They'll lose money. I do know that there were some rumors of Red Sox and Liverpool being sold. Red Sox stuff was pretty quickly shot down. Liverpool...rumors still persist."

https://www.thefourthperiod.com/pagnott ... r-in-texas
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:11 pm "I can't find anything from 4th period on this. Their site has no search option so wherever it may be buried, it'll stay there I guess. They aren't going to be allowed to move. And as you said, I don't know why they would sell already. They'll lose money. I do know that there were some rumors of Red Sox and Liverpool being sold. Red Sox stuff was pretty quickly shot down. Liverpool...rumors still persist."

Thanks. Should have known info on Crosby and the team were buried in a story with a Dallas Stars picture. LOL I tried google search just on the Fenway Sports Group is gauging sentence, and it didn't find it.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

FLPensFan wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:25 pm
lemieuxReturns wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:11 pm "I can't find anything from 4th period on this. Their site has no search option so wherever it may be buried, it'll stay there I guess. They aren't going to be allowed to move. And as you said, I don't know why they would sell already. They'll lose money. I do know that there were some rumors of Red Sox and Liverpool being sold. Red Sox stuff was pretty quickly shot down. Liverpool...rumors still persist."

Thanks. Should have known info on Crosby and the team were buried in a story with a Dallas Stars picture. LOL I tried google search just on the Fenway Sports Group is gauging sentence, and it didn't find it.
I had to use a "+" sign and then click "news" tab

pagnotta + fenway sports group
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

I looked at the cost of buying Graves out, not pretty:

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calc ... yan-graves

Would be better off retaining 50% to move him but nothing is good here. What a stupid signing.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

DelPen wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:45 pm I looked at the cost of buying Graves out, not pretty:

Would be better off retaining 50% to move him but nothing is good here. What a stupid signing.
Bounce back season coming. Although, not sure where he fits now with POJ, Shea and St. Ivany all looking good these days.
Coffey Break
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Coffey Break »

I'm not sure where folks are getting the idea of a "bounce back" season for Graves. He's never been any good at any point in his career to make you suggest it was just a down year.

Even on solid NJ team last year, they sheltered his minutes in high impact situations - the exact opposite of what our smart head coach does with him here in Pittsburgh.

Guys like Gonchar, Martin, Michalek (to some extent), even Schultz were different examples because they showed their worth and value for some period of time before joining Pittsburgh that led you to believe those guys would turn around. There is absolutely nothing about Graves' game that makes you think he's going to rebound all of a sudden. He's a bottom-pair d-man at best, getting paid like a top pairing d-man.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Pitts wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:07 pm
DelPen wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:45 pm I looked at the cost of buying Graves out, not pretty:

Bounce back season coming. Although, not sure where he fits now with POJ, Shea and St. Ivany all looking good these days.
If Graves could bounce back and be top 4 capable, they would probably return to MP-Graves-POJ down the left side, Letang, EK65, St. Ivany down the right side, with Ludvig and Shea as extras.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Coffey Break wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:19 pm I'm not sure where folks are getting the idea of a "bounce back" season for Graves. He's never been any good at any point in his career to make you suggest it was just a down year.

Even on solid NJ team last year, they sheltered his minutes in high impact situations - the exact opposite of what our smart head coach does with him here in Pittsburgh.

Guys like Gonchar, Martin, Michalek (to some extent), even Schultz were different examples because they showed their worth and value for some period of time before joining Pittsburgh that led you to believe those guys would turn around. There is absolutely nothing about Graves' game that makes you think he's going to rebound all of a sudden. He's a bottom-pair d-man at best, getting paid like a top pairing d-man.
Not sure his stat lines support your argument. Last year in NJ, played 78 games, 26 points, +34 averaging nearly 20 mins a game. He's a plus 94 for his career! He's averaged 18-20 mins per game the last 5 seasons. Doesn't sound like sheltered minutes to me.
Coffey Break
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Coffey Break »

Pitts wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:37 pm
Coffey Break wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:19 pm I'm not sure where folks are getting the idea of a "bounce back" season for Graves. He's never been any good at any point in his career to make you suggest it was just a down year.

Not sure his stat lines support your argument. Last year in NJ, played 78 games, 26 points, +34 averaging nearly 20 mins a game. He's a plus 94 for his career! He's averaged 18-20 mins per game the last 5 seasons. Doesn't sound like sheltered minutes to me.

His underlying analytics are abysmal. And the minutes he did spend with NJ and COL playing tough competition - it didn't bode very well for him or his team. He got ROCKED in the playoffs last year too. And I don't think +/- is the statistical hill to die on. He has been very fortunate to be playing with incredible players upfront for the majority of his career.

He was an awful signing from July 1.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

Season is now over, If I'm Dubas - get new coaching staff!

And from roster everyone except Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Karlsson, Rust, DOC, Eller should be available for trade/swap! Malkin and Letang I would put on trading block, but management wont do it.. Found a way to give young guys like Poulin, Ponomarev, Koivunen and others a legit chance to earn a spot next season. Also keep 3rd pair cheap D options like St.Ivany, Ludvig, Joseph
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

I would let Jarry start tonight. It's his type of game, means nothing.
Joseph is maturing into a legit and solid D man. Somebody should ask, why St. Ivany was never called up previously.

Playing against the 3rd in metro team, the islanders... :oops: :twisted: Roy doing a Sullivan, coming in at half year.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Pens4Life wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:43 am Season is now over, If I'm Dubas - get new coaching staff!

And from roster everyone except Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Karlsson, Rust, DOC, Eller should be available for trade/swap! Malkin and Letang I would put on trading block, but management wont do it.. Found a way to give young guys like Poulin, Ponomarev, Koivunen and others a legit chance to earn a spot next season. Also keep 3rd pair cheap D options like St.Ivany, Ludvig, Joseph
Looking at the roster, in a perfect world we could move on from Rakell, Smith, Graves. I don't think we will be able to just trade them for picks. Especially Rakell and Graves, due to the term of their contract. This is how I see the roster and the holes it currently has.

X-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
DOC-Eller-X
4th line should be a combination of kids with energy. Poulin-Ponomarev-Puljujarvi, Puustinen, Acciari (if we can't trade him).

MP-EK
Graves-Letang
POJ-JSI
Shea/Ludvig

Up front we need to find a top 6 LW to play with Sid and Rust. I think OC is best suited to be a 3rd line 15-20 goal two-way strong forward. Seeing how well Bunting has gelled on the team, maybe someone like Bertuzzi would be a good fit on Sid's line. We need more dirty, gritty goals. Rakell is going to be tough to move, probably have to ride it out until and hope he bounces back. Puustinen showed signs of being a solid player but he should not be given the 3rd line RW job. They should look to bring in a strong 2-way physical player who can put up 15-20 (Foegele type) to go with OC and Eller. In a perfect world I would look to upgrade on Eller knowing that Geno is another year older next season and isn't the play driver he once was. We really need to implement a 3 scoring line approach. Issue is we don't want to get a 2C and turn him into a 3C and have Brassard 2.0 all over again.

Backend I don't see much to do realistically. Unless we could trade Graves for a pick, then you clearly do that. If not you have to work with him.

Goalie I would sign Ned to a 2/3 year contract around $3mill AAV and let him be the #1A. I would trade Jarry for a backup goalie, pick and prospect and let Blom continue to bloom in WBS for 1 more season.

Oh and clearly we need a new coach with a fresh voice that will get the team to play hard for more than 10% of the season.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

KG wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:20 am
Pens4Life wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:43 am Season is now over, If I'm Dubas - get new coaching staff!

Looking at the roster, in a perfect world we could move on from Rakell, Smith, Graves. I don't think we will be able to just trade them for picks. Especially Rakell and Graves, due to the term of their contract. This is how I see the roster and the holes it currently has.

X-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
DOC-Eller-X
4th line should be a combination of kids with energy. Poulin-Ponomarev-Puljujarvi, Puustinen, Acciari (if we can't trade him).

MP-EK
Graves-Letang
POJ-JSI
Shea/Ludvig

Up front we need to find a top 6 LW to play with Sid and Rust. I think OC is best suited to be a 3rd line 15-20 goal two-way strong forward. Seeing how well Bunting has gelled on the team, maybe someone like Bertuzzi would be a good fit on Sid's line. We need more dirty, gritty goals. Rakell is going to be tough to move, probably have to ride it out until and hope he bounces back. Puustinen showed signs of being a solid player but he should not be given the 3rd line RW job. They should look to bring in a strong 2-way physical player who can put up 15-20 (Foegele type) to go with OC and Eller. In a perfect world I would look to upgrade on Eller knowing that Geno is another year older next season and isn't the play driver he once was. We really need to implement a 3 scoring line approach. Issue is we don't want to get a 2C and turn him into a 3C and have Brassard 2.0 all over again.

Backend I don't see much to do realistically. Unless we could trade Graves for a pick, then you clearly do that. If not you have to work with him.

Goalie I would sign Ned to a 2/3 year contract around $3mill AAV and let him be the #1A. I would trade Jarry for a backup goalie, pick and prospect and let Blom continue to bloom in WBS for 1 more season.
After the success he's had, why on earth would you move DOC off Crosby's wing? He's earned that. He doesn't move from there unless he gives you a reason to. He could continue blossoming into the Stevens like power forward we haven't had since then. I don't mind Bertuzzi, but he would be my 3LW spot.

I'd also have a hard time breaking up that St Ivany/Shea pair to start the season. There is a bit of a dilemma on defense
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Imagine if Sully had moved DOC to Sid's wing at the begining of the season and let Jake play with Geno. Instead, we had to watch Smith and Rakell play like absolute **** all season.
BlackNGold4Life
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by BlackNGold4Life »

Coffey Break wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:57 pm
Pitts wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:37 pm

His underlying analytics are abysmal. And the minutes he did spend with NJ and COL playing tough competition - it didn't bode very well for him or his team. He got ROCKED in the playoffs last year too. And I don't think +/- is the statistical hill to die on. He has been very fortunate to be playing with incredible players upfront for the majority of his career.

He was an awful signing from July 1.
Agreed he was terrible this season. At the time of acquiring him, he had interest around the league for a reason. He as fairly solid.

https://novacapsfans.com/2023/04/17/cap ... raves/amp/

Because of this - hopefully he still tradable or can mend his game. I just think he doesn’t use his size well - and typically makes rushed plays with the puck as he doesn’t process the game fast enough. Actually reminds me of Marcus Pettersson his first 2 seasons for us. Albeit different scenarios. Not sure he can be fixed.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Steve »

There needs to be accountability with the Pens. I'm not talking about the blown leads, the poor overtime results, the power play etc.

I'm talking about the fact that the Pens are responsible for me actually rooting for Philadelphia Flyers in a hockey game. I actually got excited to hear the Pico power play call or whatever they say over there when an apposing penalty is called. I feel dirty.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

GM Dubas needs to have a combo meeting with Sid, Letang, and Evgeni. Ask them to think about managed workload. It's been going on with Stone/Oshie and others previously. Kucerov. Before the NHL gets and tries to legislate.

Letang is playing injured- don't play him tonight. Any top 6 with bruises/injuries, don't play.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Now we wait to see if the Penguins win the draft lottery. I believe they have a 3.5% chance of moving up from 14th to 4th. Otherwise, enjoy your pick SJ, go Hurricanes, and please scratch Bemstrom.