Disallowed Goals

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Dsmit570

Disallowed Goals

Post by Dsmit570 »

Curious if anybody out there knows how many disallowed goals the Penguins had this year. Officiating was absolutely atrocious this year and i can think of at least 6 goals that the Pens had taken away. Capitals had 8 disallowed by 12/31/23 but i cannot find any total tallies anywhere. I wish this was a stat that was tracked somewhere.

What do we think would be an appropriate solution to this problem? We all know that the two goals against the Predators had no interference. Saros initiated players that we edge (at best) of blue line then cried about it. Eller turned in reaction to the puck already past him. Bunting didn't interfere as it was a Pred's stick that tied up with Saros trying to get the puck out of the blue paint.
Southern Fan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Disallowed Goals

Post by Southern Fan »

I remember the two goals in the Buffalo game that were called off. Affected the outcome.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

The problem I see is, the NHL doesn't track it in their game data. If you go to any game that was played, say the PIT vs NSH game, and look at the Event History or Play-By-Play history, there is nothing logged for a disallowed goal. So if they don't log that the play ever happened, it will be hard for someone to scrape data that doesn't exist.

Means someone would have to manually track this, until the NHL starts including it in game reports.
DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Bunting was stepping on Saros’s stick on the first goal. If you think that’s fine then I don’t know what to tell you.

I think they need to have a time limit, 90 seconds and maybe even that is too long. If you can’t see something in that time then you are looking for something to change your decision on the ice.

At least they made a good change with the offside rule that it’s a plane and if your skate is in the air you are still good. That cut back on a lot of the challenges.

The NHL also needs to have a standard set based on data of reviews and if anyone deviates from that they get disciplined. It shouldn’t be a mystery why some nights it’s ok to hip check a goalie 2 feet in the crease before a shot is even taken and then the next night a guy standing 2 inches in the paint and the goalie not even moving close to him until the puck is already past him isn’t a good goal.

Consistency is needed.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

DelPen wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:20 pm Bunting was stepping on Saros’s stick on the first goal. If you think that’s fine then I don’t know what to tell you.

I think they need to have a time limit, 90 seconds and maybe even that is too long. If you can’t see something in that time then you are looking for something to change your decision on the ice.

At least they made a good change with the offside rule that it’s a plane and if your skate is in the air you are still good. That cut back on a lot of the challenges.

The NHL also needs to have a standard set based on data of reviews and if anyone deviates from that they get disciplined. It shouldn’t be a mystery why some nights it’s ok to hip check a goalie 2 feet in the crease before a shot is even taken and then the next night a guy standing 2 inches in the paint and the goalie not even moving close to him until the puck is already past him isn’t a good goal.

Consistency is needed.
They certainly need a time limit to review. I've been on the soapbox as well. If it's not clear within 90 seconds, then it's clearly not conclusive and the call on the ice should stand.
BurghThing
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by BurghThing »

While they are at it they need to start tracking "own goals" like soccer does.