Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by FLPensFan »

FLPensFan wondering if Jarry has played his last game in a Penguins uniform tonight. Ned first goalie off. Nothing to play for, and Ned getting his 13th straight start sure seems a bit odd to say the least.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

FLPensFan wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:28 am FLPensFan wondering if Jarry has played his last game in a Penguins uniform tonight. Ned first goalie off. Nothing to play for, and Ned getting his 13th straight start sure seems a bit odd to say the least.
Interesting. Hopefully KD can get Ned re-signed to a decent deal and we can look to move on from Jarrrsss.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

KG wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:40 am
FLPensFan wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:28 am FLPensFan wondering if Jarry has played his last game in a Penguins uniform tonight. Ned first goalie off. Nothing to play for, and Ned getting his 13th straight start sure seems a bit odd to say the least.
Interesting. Hopefully KD can get Ned re-signed to a decent deal and we can look to move on from Jarrrsss.
It does lend credence to the idea that something happened with Jarry acting unacceptably towards a teammate(s), and he's burned some bridges. Otherwise, it really seems weird to start your UFA-to-be backup over your starter who's paid big money for another 4 years.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Pretty surprised that Jarry doesn't get mop up duty. Sure would like to know what the plan is for next season.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

Strange to say the least. Although when he came in the other day, he looked pretty bad.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

I'd give Jarry a bit of a pass for his last outing. He hadn't played in quite some time and it showed.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

I hope that is the case but not sure where he could go with a 12 team no trade list

Off-season wish list

1st line LW to bump DOC
2nd line RW to bump Rakell
3rd line C to bump Eller

Chips to move out: Smith, Graves, and Jarry

It will be an interesting off-season but I'm much more optimistic a retool can be done based on how they've played after getting Bunting acclimated
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Steve wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:05 am There needs to be accountability with the Pens. I'm not talking about the blown leads, the poor overtime results, the power play etc.

I'm talking about the fact that the Pens are responsible for me actually rooting for Philadelphia Flyers in a hockey game. I actually got excited to hear the Pico power play call or whatever they say over there when an apposing penalty is called. I feel dirty.
LOL! Agreed. I felt dirty. Their disallowed goal was a really bad call. I think that might have changed the outcome.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

thehockeyguru wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:35 pm
I hope that is the case but not sure where he could go with a 12 team no trade list

Off-season wish list

1st line LW to bump DOC
3rd line C to bump Eller

It will be an interesting off-season but I'm much more optimistic a retool can be done based on how they've played after getting Bunting acclimated
If he's not wanted here and won't get playing time, that 12 team list will open up real fast.

Oh, and leave DOC where he is! 8-)
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Looks like MAF just re-signed with the Wild.
ahawk9
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by ahawk9 »

I think Smith is moveable, even if it's for just a pick, which I'm fine with. Rakell is someone I'd hope can rebound. Not only would it help the team, but it also would up his trade value at next year's deadline/summer (plus it would burn some of that contract for potential takers). Rust is still a chip at some point, although I hope they hold on to him for at least another year. Even at 32-33 I would think he'd have solid trade value at a deadline down the road.

Jarry... well, I'd be happy if they could unload him for something. I wouldn't complain about nearly any return, especially if they sign Ned.

I think they're stuck with Graves for the time being. See if he can rebound enough to trade. If not, they should be able to handle his contract in a few years with the Core off the books. They also could afford to maybe hold on another year or two and buy him out. Once the Crosby era is over I would think they'd have some cap room to absorb the hit, although buyouts aren't my favorite thing.

Eller has been fantastic in his role. Such a smart, solid player. If they're out of it next season at the deadline, they could definitely get something for him.

The prospect pool is shallow but not as shallow as recent years. I still think the Guentzel trade will prove win/win for both teams. I love Jake - one of my favorite Pens ever - but the trade had to happen, and given Bunting's fit and my hope that at least one prospect becomes a regular, if not two, then I'd say it went as well as we could have expected.

I've been following the WHL playoffs since Yager and Pickering's teams are playing each other in the second round. Yager has been great, going 6-4-10 in 7 games (+5) so far. Pickering is wearing the C for Swift Current and is 1-5-6 in 7 games (-1). I haven't monitored the guys they picked up in Jake's trade since it first happened but of those top two guys mentioned above Yager seems to be progressing really well and Pickering seems to be heading in the right direction. Defensemen take longer to develop normally, so hoping he keeps it up. We'll see how Yager does making the jump to the AHL next season. Plus, if Pens don't win lottery and end up 11-14th I'd give pick to San Jose, root for Carolina and not give up any No. 1s for a while.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Off-season wish list

1st line LW to bump DOC
3rd line C to bump Eller

I looked into this a week or two ago, and there really aren't a lot of destinations for Jarry. But, I do feel there is one good spot that I keep mentioning in trade proposals and mock rosters for next year...Edmonton. Why?

1. Edmonton needs a goalie. Skinner is fine, but they need an upgrade or at least a good split starter there.
2. Jarry has history there, playing his Junior games for Edmonton Oil Kings.
3. Jarry is from Surrey, BC...Western Canada, so it'd be close to home for him.
4. Edmonton has Jack Campbell buried in the minors. He cost 3.85M against the NHL cap for the next 3 years. I think Edmonton would like to get out of that deal in some form. Even retaining salary on Campbell, say 1-2M, saves them 1.85M-2.85M a year.
5. Dubas has history with Campbell in Toronto, and he played well there. Campbell only really went downhill when he signed the big deal and went to Edmonton.

My dream trade would be Jarry a pick, and maybe a prospect to EDM for Ryan McLeod (new 3C) and Jack Campbell...and Campbell would be washed through a 3rd team so that the max cap for Campbell with Pittsburgh was in the 1.5-2M range...so if we do bury him as our 3rd goalie, the NHL cap hit is minimal.

Jarry and Poulin to EDM for Ryan McLeod
EDM trades Campbell (20% retained, 1M) and a 4th to Chicago for future considerations
PIT trades a 3rd to Chicago for Campbell (50% retained, 2M)

PIT ends up with McLeod and Campbell at 2M (buried in AHL, he only costs 875K against our cap)
EDM ends up with Jarry and Poulin
Chicago gets a 3rd and 4th round pick for retaining 2M on Campbell for 3 years.

As for the other moves...I'm keeping DOC with Crosby until he shows me he cannot play there. I like have DOC and Bunting in the top 6, because they play a more physical game and go to the dirty areas. Our top 6 needs that. McLeod would be our 3C, pushing Eller to 4C.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:45 pm Looks like MAF just re-signed with the Wild.
1 year extension, 2.5M...and Fleury says next year will be his last. He needs to play 21 games to pass Luongo and Roy to move into 2nd all time games played by a goalie.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

I read the 4th Period article. Moving the team? :lol: Completely ridiculous speculation. Atlanta getting a team? More hysterical laughter! :lol: Atlanta is a horrible hockey town and proved it. Flames, Thrashers :thumbdown:

I agree that the only real remaining option (after missing the playoffs twice with a 40% team change in between) is firing Sullivan and the rest of the staff.

As for team changes, get rid of these people:
Graves
Smith
Jarry
EK
Carter

This is a case of addition by subtraction.

Whoever is the next head coach, hire Jagr to run the PP. I am serious.

The Pens were successful over the last 12 games by playing younger guys. Start the next season doing that.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

https://www.pensburgh.com/2024/4/17/241 ... eason-ever

Sid with 2 points tonight can tie Teemu with the most points by a 36 year older player in a season.
Age 37, he will have to top Sakic's 100. :D Captain likes a challenge. 8-)
ahawk9
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by ahawk9 »

Maybe Sid can go crazy tonight and rack up 8 points to hit 100. While they're at it, get Geno a hat trick to give him 500 goals. Easy! Ha!
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Per Mike Sullivan:

-Alex Nedeljkovic is on the hill tonight.

-Kris Letang is available after missing the morning skate.

-Emil Bemstrom is not available. No specifics offered.

LMAO at that last one. We know damn well why he isn't available tonight. We ain't riskin' no 3rd round pick on Emil.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:45 pm Looks like MAF just re-signed with the Wild.
He’s got more practical jokes to do.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

IntangibleBeer wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:05 pm Whoever is the next head coach, hire Jagr to run the PP. I am serious.
Wasn’t there some talk of having him involved with team? Although he’s already given us his strategy - Be greedy and shoot.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

Still think EJ should consult on the PP. he is one of the best PP minds ever
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by thehockeyguru »

FLPensFan wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:54 pm

Off-season wish list

1st line LW to bump DOC
3rd line C to bump Eller

As for the other moves...I'm keeping DOC with Crosby until he shows me he cannot play there. I like have DOC and Bunting in the top 6, because they play a more physical game and go to the dirty areas. Our top 6 needs that. McLeod would be our 3C, pushing Eller to 4C.
If you leave the top 6 alone that leaves a lot of money to spend on the 3rd line.

You trade for McLeod, who would you target on the wings?
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

thehockeyguru wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:15 pm

Off-season wish list

1st line LW to bump DOC
3rd line C to bump Eller

If you leave the top 6 alone that leaves a lot of money to spend on the 3rd line.

You trade for McLeod, who would you target on the wings?
I'd like to see what Florida does with Tarasenko and Reinhart. I think both want to stay with Florida, but Reinhart is going to get paid. Tarasenko lives in South Florida in the offseason, and has fit so far. My gut says Reinhart walks and Tarasenko is his replacement. But, if the Penguins traded Jarry and signed Ned for about 2M cheaper, moved Smith for just pick and/or prospect...the Penguins could possibly take a run at Reinhart or Tarasenko.

Reinhart would likely be 8-10M, just like Guentzel. But Reinhart is better defensively, a threat on the PK, and 80% of his goals are from the high danger area. I'd prefer not to spend that much money, but, if the Penguins won't to kid themselves into making one more run...I'd consider it if other moves were made to clear the salary.

Tarasenko would be the better fit. They could probably get him on a 2-3 year deal for 5-6M. You would hope he could play with Geno and invigorate Geno by giving him a solid player and fellow countryman on his wing.

If neither of those are available, I'd look at guys like Duclair or Domi...or increase the Reilly Smith package, and try and get a young NHL winger in return that either plays 3rd line winger or Rakell gets pushed down and the young guy plays on Malkin's RW.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

Off-season wish list

1st line LW to bump DOC
3rd line C to bump Eller

I looked into this a week or two ago, and there really aren't a lot of destinations for Jarry. But, I do feel there is one good spot that I keep mentioning in trade proposals and mock rosters for next year...Edmonton. Why?

1. Edmonton needs a goalie. Skinner is fine, but they need an upgrade or at least a good split starter there.
2. Jarry has history there, playing his Junior games for Edmonton Oil Kings.
3. Jarry is from Surrey, BC...Western Canada, so it'd be close to home for him.
4. Edmonton has Jack Campbell buried in the minors. He cost 3.85M against the NHL cap for the next 3 years. I think Edmonton would like to get out of that deal in some form. Even retaining salary on Campbell, say 1-2M, saves them 1.85M-2.85M a year.
5. Dubas has history with Campbell in Toronto, and he played well there. Campbell only really went downhill when he signed the big deal and went to Edmonton.

My dream trade would be Jarry a pick, and maybe a prospect to EDM for Ryan McLeod (new 3C) and Jack Campbell...and Campbell would be washed through a 3rd team so that the max cap for Campbell with Pittsburgh was in the 1.5-2M range...so if we do bury him as our 3rd goalie, the NHL cap hit is minimal.

Jarry and Poulin to EDM for Ryan McLeod
EDM trades Campbell (20% retained, 1M) and a 4th to Chicago for future considerations
PIT trades a 3rd to Chicago for Campbell (50% retained, 2M)

PIT ends up with McLeod and Campbell at 2M (buried in AHL, he only costs 875K against our cap)
EDM ends up with Jarry and Poulin
Chicago gets a 3rd and 4th round pick for retaining 2M on Campbell for 3 years.

Well thought out and realistic trade. I would be all over this. Campbell as a 3rd goalie, or even a back up should Blomqvist struggle, would be fine for the time being. I also, potentially, see LA as a destination. I'm not sure what a deal there would look like, but he could fit what they're looking for.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

DelPen
NHL Second Liner
NHL Second Liner

Post by DelPen »

Sullivan should had been fired a long time ago. Let’s say for arguments sake the man is a brilliant coach and the evidence is the Cups in 16 & 17. Those teams had a mixture of elite players at the end of their prime and a huge influx of young players who had some talent and were dropped in up and down the lineup. The team as a whole went from a slow and predictable game that was easy to counter to one built on speed, never let quality chances on net, had a goalie who had the confidence to make big saves when needed and outworked every team they played.

Fast forward 7 years, the goalies who looked good all crumbled, we have very little talented youth who have speed and even then they get ice time cut late in games for players who “play the right way” and the stars are well past their primes despite them still playing at high levels above what would be expected for their age.

Then we are on the third different GM, huge overhaul of the roster every few years but nothing ever changes. New players from trade or call up look good then fade once they get accustomed to whatever system this is.

The final straw is going out and getting one of the best offensive defensemen ever and then he looks like garbage especially on the PP.

Someone please try to sell me on Sullivan staying. The ONLY thing that would make me not angry he’s back is if 1) Sid demands it and if Sully goes then he’s gone but Sid would never do that (although at this point he has earned to have large input on who the coach is) and then 2) Rierden is fired and Velluci is allowed to peruse other options if he wishes while Sullivan gets to pick his assistants and had a mandate of making it out of the first round of the playoffs. I don’t know if Sullivan has ever actually picked his own staff top to bottom. Let him do it this last year and if it works great. But if not it’s another year wasted. And I also still don’t want him back, it seems the more control he has the worse he doubles down on bad choices.

The only reason it seems to not fire him is someone at Fenway did the math that it would cost more to fire him than it does by missing playoff revenue and ticket sales declining but does anyone think he won’t get hired tomorrow if he’s fired today? Buffalo is a great fit for him based on how the team is composed. And I think a guy like Bruce Boudreau would work well here for a couple years.

This team needs a change in coaching. Rierden being the only scapegoat will not be enough.