FLPensFan's 10 Questions for a Dubas Offseason

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: FLPensFan's 10 Questions for a Dubas Offseason

Post by Puck-Lurker »

thehockeyguru wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:05 am
FLPensFan wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:47 am
thehockeyguru wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm I really don't think this team can win with both Letang and Karlsson, the defensive blunders have outpaced the offensive production.

Dubas has to explore trading Karlsson, will it happen? Not likely but some combo of Smith, Rakell, Acciari, Graves, Karlsson, and Jarry
I just can't see them being able to move Karlsson without retaining salary, and retaining a significant portion for 3 more years probably isn't going to work well. So, I don't see them being able to move Karlsson or Graves this offseason.

It's funny, because Rob Rossi slammed both Smith and Jarry in the past few days. Rossi called Reilly Smith the worst player we've traded for during his 20 years covering the team. Almost everyone replied Brassard, and he said he'd take a roster of 23 Brassards over Smith. And then Rossi doubled down by writing a full article on how the Penguins need to improve their goaltending, basically saying Jarry is 28 and while good in some area, still hasn't shown the type of growth needed to be this team's #1 goalie.

Gonna post a few mock offseasons soon, just to get a look at some different scenarios that Dubas won't follow. :lol:
I agree with you that moving Karlsson is extremely unlikely. With that being said if you keep him I don't see how the defense gets better.

POJ has shown growth, but he isn't a top 4 guy. He's an RFA, what do you pay him to be a bottom pairing defenseman?

Graves is another guy Dubas won't be able to move. He's not a good fit to cover for Letang's mistakes and isn't the best with the puck. You have play him with Letang and hope it works.

Dubas has to have a plan for Pettersson, you either trade him this off-season or extend him. There are replacements out there Skjei is intriguing as is Zadorov.

St Ivany has shown enough to warrant an extended look at bottom pair RD. I think POJ - St Ivany should be a relatively cheap bottom pairing that is serviceable
POJ is worth about a QO for my taste, which is 892.5K. Give it two years, or one if he prefers. Prove it. Or just dont qualify and sort it out in UFA. Not interested in being stuck with some silly salary arbitration might award.
penscup
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by penscup »

thehockeyguru wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:07 pm I really don't think this team can win with both Letang and Karlsson, the defensive blunders have outpaced the offensive production.

Dubas has to explore trading Karlsson, will it happen? Not likely but some combo of Smith, Rakell, Acciari, Graves, Karlsson, and Jarry
This X1000.
Nothing frustrated me more this season than watching these two make rookie mistake after rookie mistake in the defensive end this season. They are only going to get worse next year (or injured) as they get older. Neither one seems to care or learn from their mistakes which is maddening. All they care about is offense.
No way the team has a successful season next year if they are both still here.
Pensfan4life8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Pensfan4life8771 »

I honestly think the biggest thing we see this offseason is we sign Ned to long term deal and we trade Jarry to someone for picks/assets.

I think the team to watch regarding trading Jarry is Edmonton. Would they do a RNH for Jarry? He could play center on the third line and allow Eller to bump down to line 3 along with Acari and Pustinen.

I think our lines would look like this:

DOC - Crosby - Rust
Bunting - Geno - Rakkell
Pusstinen - RNH - Accari
Poulin - Eller - someone else young
Pensfan4life8771
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Pensfan4life8771 »

Just to add to the above...the below list of people I believe will be gone:
- Harkins
- Ludvig - Ivy replaces
- Shea - Pickering replaces
- I wish Graves replaced by another top 4 D but he's probably stuck here.
- Reily Smith - replaced with a different top 4
- Jarry if a trade partner with a return to help team comes along...this screams draft to me

Players I'd love to see in a Pens uni that are free agents:
Jake Debrusk....I just want him.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by IntangibleBeer »

KG wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:59 am 1. They have to change the coaching staff first and foremost.
2. Trade Smith and Rakell. They need to re-jigger the top 6.
3. Let Poulin and Ponomarev earn their way and play in the bottom 6. We need more youth.
4. Look to move one of if not both of Acciari and Eller.
5. Look to move Jarry.
6. Have discussions with Geno and Letang and see if they want to stay or are open to being moved.
7. Look to sell high on MP before the deadline and he is only a rental and avoid the Jake situation again.

This team is weird. The roster has flipped over quite a bit the last season but it still feels stale.

That's coaching. We need a fresh voice and system and a shot in the arm, badly.
I would quibble slightly with #2. Rakell is salvageable. Smith needs to go; I don’t think he wants to be here.
#4. Keep Eller; he competes.
#5. Jarry definitely needs to go.
Cow_Master66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Cow_Master66 »

Pensfan4life8771 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:12 pm I honestly think the biggest thing we see this offseason is we sign Ned to long term deal and we trade Jarry to someone for picks/assets.

I think the team to watch regarding trading Jarry is Edmonton. Would they do a RNH for Jarry? He could play center on the third line and allow Eller to bump down to line 3 along with Acari and Pustinen.

I think our lines would look like this:

DOC - Crosby - Rust
Bunting - Geno - Rakkell
Pusstinen - RNH - Accari
Poulin - Eller - someone else young
I don’t see any reason to sign Ned to anything “long term”, unless you mean 2 years? He is a backup goalie and it took about 10 games for him to remind everyone why he isn’t a starter. Not a knock on him, just saying, anyone ready to throw 60 games at him next season better have another targeted FA to bring in, besides the rookie.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

Agreed. Loved Ned but we need to remember these guys that are years into the league and have never gotten past X performance are not suddenly top players after a short stint of over performance. Think he's great, he did great and I would want him for a fair price and short term in a similar role. He is not a long term solution to anything, although I screamed when they signed Jarry to that idiotic deal because he isn't either.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Antonio wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:47 am Agreed. Loved Ned but we need to remember these guys that are years into the league and have never gotten past X performance are not suddenly top players after a short stint of over performance. Think he's great, he did great and I would want him for a fair price and short term in a similar role. He is not a long term solution to anything, although I screamed when they signed Jarry to that idiotic deal because he isn't either.
Yep. Too many times we see a player come in and have a nice hot streak and fans are over the top. Then, next season when we comes back to his mean, they ride him out of town.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

10:00 Dubas is speaking to the media today. Early. Rip the band-aid off, get it over with.