2023-2024 HIGHLIGHTS!!

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

2023-2024 HIGHLIGHTS!!

Post by Guinness »

There is a not unreasonable amount of gloom and doom 'round these here parts these days, but I've been trying to keep my focus on some positives! And if you guys had any idea what was going on in my IRL, you'd be pretty proud of me for doing so! :lol: But I thought I'd try to punch a little daylight into the cloud-coered sky that we're all experiencing since our boys went out after a mere 82 games again this year. Here are mine:

Valtteri Puustinen. This young man can skate like the wind and he can shoot the puck. In my view - and for what it's worth but i thought that Milan Kraft was going to be a serviceable 2nd line center - he has the making of a solid top 9, 12-18 goal per year player for us.

Goalie depth. Last year we were in a very difficult position - there were really no reasonable UFA options for us, so signing Jarry wasn't the best option - he was the ONLY option at the time. But now, with Ned and Blomqvist (I can't spell his name), we are fortunate to have options. Now it's in GMKD's hands to make it happen.

Sidney Crosby. holy crap shame on me for ever doubting that he could not only play at this level but to excel at his age... he is seemingly timeless.

DOC, I haven't seen so much drive and battle in a Penguins sweater since maybe Kevin Stevens. I should have him up there below Puusty, because that's where he probably going to land in the lineup.

Michael Bunting. Great add, een though we're still looking for the 20-ish goals he's going to leave at the door. He seems to have brought that missing element that we haven't had since Horny shipped out. Jake was SOOOOO much betterthan Neal, butthe 2 players kind of relate - Jake and Neal were heady goal-scorers, and Horny and Bunting seem to be guys with a nose for the net. Either way, it was worth it to shake some thins up, in my opinion. Also, I'm never one to get to excited about unproven prospects (oh don't let me lie to you yes I am!), but there does seem to be some legit talent that came over. Talk on th street (and by "the street" I mean here and X, obv) is that Ponoromev (IDK) is possibily next year-worthy. Which brings me to...

Brayden Yager and Owen Pickering. Well, Pickering is going to make it in the NHL because that name is just basically an NHL name. And if Yager has the hallmarks of being an actual, true top-6 sniper, well then slap me silly, sally! We haven't had one of those down on the farm since I don't know when!

1st rounder from Carolina? That's on the table, and not ridiculously out of the question. Of course it's not going to be a great pick, but if it happens it will lighten the blow from losing the 1st to SJS.

I don't know, gang. Just thought I'd throw a few positive logs onto the fire for what will be yet again another long, long offseason. And maybe we can hang out and look forward to better things next year.

You gotta live in the now, folks. Everything else is just regret and doubt.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: 2023-2024 HIGHLIGHTS!!

Post by Badger Bob »

Glass half full kind of guy, eh?
Fast B
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Fast B »

Also we got to see a goalie goal, that's pretty rad by itself. :D
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Everything to do with the Jaromir retirement week/weekend. Until he was back and talking, you forgot why we loved him and how great he was.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

Don't forget the incredible saga of the stolen Jagr bobbleheads. They team seemed to turn that into a marketing ploy in the middle of garbage hockey from the team.
ahawk9
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by ahawk9 »

We're so lucky as Pens fans! That said, I still wonder how many scoring titles Mario would've had if he hadn't been injured/retired. 10? Crosby's injuries cost him one or two more as well. But that is one impressive Ross Trophy wall!