Random Penguins Fodder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Random Penguins Fodder

Post by Badger Bob »

P-G Article with player report cards:

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pen ... 2404150138

LOL, Graves gets an "F". Here's the breakdown of grades:

A+: 1
Crosby (Of Course)
A: 3
Bunting, Rust, Pettersson
A-: 1
O'Connor
B+: 1
Nedeljkovic
B: 2
Eller, St. Ivany
B-: 2
Karlsson, Letang
C+: 2
Puustinen, Shea
C: 3
Malkin, Carter, Joseph
C-: 3
Acciari, Gruden, Nieto
D+: 0
D: 8
Bemstrom, Rakell, Smith, Zohorna, Ludwig, Jarry, Hinostroza, Puljujarvi
D-: 1
Harkins
F: 1
Graves
ahawk9
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by ahawk9 »

I'm all for Arizona keeping the Coyotes name. As an old Baltimore Colts fan, I still can't handle the horseshoe being in Indianapolis, even after all these years. When Baltimore stole the Browns, at least they left Cleveland the name. Utah Jazz? Nah. I'm sure there are even people older than I who still can't take the Dodgers name in LA. Really, fans are the ones who get screwed in most of these situations, so at least leave them the name. And when the Pens were rumored to be moving to Kansas City, the idea of the KC Penguins made my stomach turn.

Actually, it still galls me that the Hurricanes wear Whalers unis on occasion. I know it's the same franchise, but I guess I'm just old and feel that they should leave the Whale alone.

And while I'm screaming at kids to get out of my yard, I'm not a huge fan of non-S names. I'm used to the Avalanche and Wild, I guess, and Kraken isn't bad IMO. But stuff like the Heat and Magic are brutal. Hoping for a Salt Lake "Something with an S", but it'll most likely be Utah "something most of us don't like".

I think that'll take care of my sports whining for today. It's a Monday and those kids from my yard are in school, so I had no one to scream at... :)
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Badger Bob wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:42 am P-G Article with player report cards:

Crosby (Of Course)
O'Connor
Nedeljkovic
Eller, St. Ivany
Karlsson, Letang
Puustinen, Shea
Malkin, Carter, Joseph
Acciari, Gruden, Nieto
Harkins
Graves
Seems odd to give Geno a C when he was playing all season with 2 D's on his wing. It is also odd that Dubas decided to throw Geno under the bus at his presser instead of taking ownership of the disaster of a job he did to get 2 real wings for Geno. The story of Geno's career.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

Badger Bob wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:42 am P-G Article with player report cards:

Crosby (Of Course)
O'Connor
Nedeljkovic
Eller, St. Ivany
Karlsson, Letang
Puustinen, Shea
Malkin, Carter, Joseph
Acciari, Gruden, Nieto
Harkins
Graves
I guess Yohe did grades as well for the Athletic. This line is interesting:
“The lack of offense was a real problem. His attitude was even worse,” Yohe said. “Team sources said Smith never wanted to be traded to Pittsburgh, and it’s hard to question that after you’re around him for a few minutes.”

https://theathletic.com/5428425/2024/04 ... ards-yohe/

Smith came off a giant D-bag in his interviews. Guys like that can kill a lockerroom.

Great job Dubas you clown. Keep throwing Geno under the bus for your mistakes.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:37 am

Crosby (Of Course)
O'Connor
Nedeljkovic
Eller, St. Ivany
Karlsson, Letang
Puustinen, Shea
Malkin, Carter, Joseph
Acciari, Gruden, Nieto
Harkins
Graves
Seems odd to give Geno a C when he was playing all season with 2 D's on his wing. It is also odd that Dubas decided to throw Geno under the bus at his presser instead of taking ownership of the disaster of a job he did to get 2 real wings for Geno. The story of Geno's career.
Agreed. Geno being saddled with the players formerly known as Smith and Rakell didn't help his cause. Geno was far from great this season, but I would put him in the same category as Karlsson and Letang. Good but could/should be better.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

lemieuxReturns wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:51 am

Crosby (Of Course)
O'Connor
Nedeljkovic
Eller, St. Ivany
Karlsson, Letang
Puustinen, Shea
Malkin, Carter, Joseph
Acciari, Gruden, Nieto
Harkins
Graves
“The lack of offense was a real problem. His attitude was even worse,” Yohe said. “Team sources said Smith never wanted to be traded to Pittsburgh, and it’s hard to question that after you’re around him for a few minutes.”

Smith came off a giant D-bag in his interviews. Guys like that can kill a lockerroom.

Smith has a M-NTC. If he didn't want to get traded here, he should have put the Pens on his no trade list. Kind of strange how a career top 6 wing wouldn't want to come here to play with Sid and Geno. Move him out at the draft for a pick. Cap savings is the real get.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:00 am
lemieuxReturns wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:51 am

Crosby (Of Course)
O'Connor
Nedeljkovic
Eller, St. Ivany
Karlsson, Letang
Puustinen, Shea
Malkin, Carter, Joseph
Acciari, Gruden, Nieto
Harkins
Graves

Smith has a M-NTC. If he didn't want to get traded here, he should have put the Pens on his no trade list. Kind of strange how a career top 6 wing wouldn't want to come here to play with Sid and Geno. Move him out at the draft for a pick. Cap savings is the real get.
You never know who to believe in these battle of "team sources." Around the trade deadline, Taylor Haase spoke to Smith and he seemed to debunk all of the "he didn't want to be here" stuff. I also realize even if it were true, Smith isn't going to come out and say that.

But if you look at it from a realistic lense...Vegas needed to move cap space, and Pittsburgh was willing to take on the contract for only a 3rd round pick (rather low for what Smith had produced up to that point). Smith may not have wanted to leave Vegas, but he didn't have an NMC, so he was fair game. Smith could pout all he wanted, but once Vegas decided it was trading him...he should be counting his blessings he went to Pittsburgh and not Utah.

It's also interesting when Yohe and Rossi tout the same messaging. A week or two before the season ended, Rossi was calling Smith the worst player acquired in trade in his 20 years covering the team, and that he'd take a team of 23 Derick Brassard's over Reilly Smith. Usually, when these two are touting the same sources and same message, the accuracy of the reporting goes way down...like Blueger being told at a Steakhouse that he was traded level of way down.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Pickering and Koivunen to WBS.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Guess Sullivan isn't going to Buffalo :)

They are brining back Lindy Ruff to coach them...Very Buffalo move.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

FLPensFan wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:43 am You never know who to believe in these battle of "team sources." Around the trade deadline, Taylor Haase spoke to Smith and he seemed to debunk all of the "he didn't want to be here" stuff. I also realize even if it were true, Smith isn't going to come out and say that.

But if you look at it from a realistic lense...Vegas needed to move cap space, and Pittsburgh was willing to take on the contract for only a 3rd round pick (rather low for what Smith had produced up to that point). Smith may not have wanted to leave Vegas, but he didn't have an NMC, so he was fair game. Smith could pout all he wanted, but once Vegas decided it was trading him...he should be counting his blessings he went to Pittsburgh and not Utah.

It's also interesting when Yohe and Rossi tout the same messaging. A week or two before the season ended, Rossi was calling Smith the worst player acquired in trade in his 20 years covering the team, and that he'd take a team of 23 Derick Brassard's over Reilly Smith. Usually, when these two are touting the same sources and same message, the accuracy of the reporting goes way down...like Blueger being told at a Steakhouse that he was traded level of way down.
The Smith stories about him being unhappy here have been going on for months. It isn't anything new. He responded to Dan Dingerski about the rumors in early March. See below:

https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/reilly- ... y-baseless

Of course, he's not going to say publicly that he hates being here or he didn't want traded here in the first place, even if he feels that way.

There was also rumors that he was on the trading block before the trade deadline, but Dubas was not able to get what he wanted in return.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

KG wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:21 pm Guess Sullivan isn't going to Buffalo :)

Don't the sabre fans deserve better. Rinse, repeat.
Maybe Dubas is right; Sullivan gone, who would they get?
You have to be brave and secure to gamble on an unknown.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

Can you imagine the Penguins playing in the leafs/bruins or Panthers/TB series? Half the team would be on IR after the first period. They are just killing each other out there
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Post by offsides »

Skatingpen wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:20 pm Can you imagine the Penguins playing in the leafs/bruins or Panthers/TB series? Half the team would be on IR after the first period. They are just killing each other out there
Yep, I totally agree with this. Our current team could not compete with this stuff. Would have been another one and done.
Maestro
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Maestro »

penny lane wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:04 pm
KG wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:21 pm Guess Sullivan isn't going to Buffalo :)

Don't the sabre fans deserve better. Rinse, repeat.
Maybe Dubas is right; Sullivan gone, who would they get?
You have to be brave and secure to gamble on an unknown.
Islanders and Oilers seemed to do okay with their coaching changes this season.

Organizational culture matters.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

KG wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:42 pm

Pickering and Koivunen to WBS.
I like this A LOT! :thumb:
stonewizard51
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stonewizard51 »

Badger Bob wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:31 pm
FLPensFan wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:43 am You never know who to believe in these battle of "team sources." Around the trade deadline, Taylor Haase spoke to Smith and he seemed to debunk all of the "he didn't want to be here" stuff. I also realize even if it were true, Smith isn't going to come out and say that.

The Smith stories about him being unhappy here have been going on for months. It isn't anything new. He responded to Dan Dingerski about the rumors in early March. See below:

https://pittsburghhockeynow.com/reilly- ... y-baseless

Of course, he's not going to say publicly that he hates being here or he didn't want traded here in the first place, even if he feels that way.

There was also rumors that he was on the trading block before the trade deadline, but Dubas was not able to get what he wanted in return.
From what I heard, rumors mostly so take it for what it's worth, he didn't want to leave Vegas and Vegas was willing to trade him. Either way, he didn't impress me very much. I hope he can be moved in the offseason.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Badger Bob »

stonewizard51 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:11 am From what I heard, rumors mostly so take it for what it's worth, he didn't want to leave Vegas and Vegas was willing to trade him. Either way, he didn't impress me very much. I hope he can be moved in the offseason.
Yeah, who knows what the real deal is, but the way Smith was almost invisible for most of the season sure looks like a possible indicator. Is it "where there's smoke, there's fire" scenario? Maybe. If so, KD needs to get rid of him.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Brayden Yager joining WBS now after team eliminated
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

penny lane wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:27 am Brayden Yager joining WBS now after team eliminated
Great to see a nice infusion of youth with potential. Yager, Pickering, Koivunen, Ponomarev, Poulin. Hopefully KD can keep adding to the prospect pool while trying to remain competitive. We ain't tanking! lol
ahawk9
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Post by ahawk9 »

Moose Jaw-Saskatoon are in WHL Eastern Conference Finals. Yager is 7-7-14 in 9 playoff games. Getting some good experience and doing well. Pickering's Swift Current Broncos lost to MJ in the last round, and he ended up with 1-6-7 and minus-2 in 9 playoff games. Anyone know if he's heading to WBS now?
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

KG wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:32 am
penny lane wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:27 am Brayden Yager joining WBS now after team eliminated
Great to see a nice infusion of youth with potential. Yager, Pickering, Koivunen, Ponomarev, Poulin. Hopefully KD can keep adding to the prospect pool while trying to remain competitive. We ain't tanking! lol
Sorry, but this is incorrect. Yager's team eliminated Pickering's team over the weekend. Yager's team, Moose Jaw, is still playing. Their first game of their next round, versus Saskatoon, starts this Friday.

Yager is 7th overall in playoff scoring in the WHL, with 6 goals, 10 points. His 6 goals is tied with 3 others for 2nd in goal scoring, behind Tij Iginla (yes, Jarome's son).
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

All apologies. :( :? I added Yager's name to Pickering.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

Speaking of Yager. Does anyone know if he is eligible to play in WBS next season? I've seen conflicting opinions. I've seen that the AHL would need to approved him as an exception due to his age.

Would be nice to see him take the next step in WBS.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

ahawk9 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:50 am Moose Jaw-Saskatoon are in WHL Eastern Conference Finals. Yager is 7-7-14 in 9 playoff games. Getting some good experience and doing well. Pickering's Swift Current Broncos lost to MJ in the last round, and he ended up with 1-6-7 and minus-2 in 9 playoff games. Anyone know if he's heading to WBS now?
Pickering is headed to WBS.