Sidney Crosby's next contract

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Sidney Crosby's next contract

Post by FLPensFan »

Curious as to what the board thinks Crosby's new contract will look like when he is eventually re-signed. There are a few different options that could play out.

From what Rossi is saying today, the Penguins want his next deal to take him to retirement. That isn't a given or a must, but it's what they would prefer to do. Friedman and others are speculating in the 10 to 10.5M range.

My thoughts: Sign him to a 5 year deal for 8.7M AAV. If he wants more, fine, you are going to pay him more. But Sid's been a superstitious, routine type of guy and even though he deserves more than that, I think he stays with the same value.

If he goes up into the 10-11M range, he should realize this team has already missed the playoffs 2 years in a row and hasn't won a playoff series since 2018. The more money he takes, the less money available to put better players around him and plug holes. I won't blame him if he takes more...he deserves it, but it will hurt the team.

What does everyone else think?
Southern Fan
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Sidney Crosby's next contract

Post by Southern Fan »

Doesn’t he have another year on his current contract? A stretch to sign him thru 2009-2010 season. Would think 3 years would be more likely. Then he can decide whether he wants to play with the 15-18 guys who currently aren’t on the roster.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

I could see him playing 3 more years. Can't imagine much more than that...maybe 4? I say he takes the same AAV as now.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Fingers crossed on health~ 5. 20 years from first cup final.
I haven't seen Sid's decision on the world championship. Czech Republic will be hosting the tournament; maybe he goes - talks more hockey with Jaromir.
Kyle Dubas has accepted a position on Canada's execs group. After the long season, maybe you don't want to be around your boss.
It would be an opportunity to begin serious contract talks though.
SubtropicalPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by SubtropicalPenguin »

3 years, $8.7 AAV, front loaded to give him time value of money. I can't imagine he would ask for something different after taking $8.7 million per year since his first contact renewal. Any additional years he wants beyond that can be signed on a year-by-year basis.
largegarlic
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by largegarlic »

SubtropicalPenguin wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:33 am 3 years, $8.7 AAV, front loaded to give him time value of money. I can't imagine he would ask for something different after taking $8.7 million per year since his first contact renewal. Any additional years he wants beyond that can be signed on a year-by-year basis.
That's what I'd say too. I think we often expect pro athletes to accept a little less so that they can have better teammates, and then most of the time that doesn't happen. But I think that Crosby genuinely isn't that concerned with maximizing the money and would rather have that couple extra million he could get go towards making the overall team more competitive.
FLPensFan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by FLPensFan »

Antonio wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:55 am I could see him playing 3 more years. Can't imagine much more than that...maybe 4? I say he takes the same AAV as now.
Yeah, I knew he had this year left on his deal, but didn't factor that into when I said 5 year extension. 3 years, plus this year, sounds right.
Puck-Lurker
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by Puck-Lurker »

For Crosby... Pay the man what he wants. I dont care if its 12.5 on a 3 year deal. If he wants to stay, keep him.
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

I am guessing it will be 5 years at 6.1 which is what the other core guys are getting.
Antonio
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Antonio »

I'll be shocked beyond words if he takes 6.1 a year or if they even offer that.
Dynasty1970
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Dynasty1970 »

FLPensFan wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:40 am Curious as to what the board thinks Crosby's new contract will look like when he is eventually re-signed. There are a few different options that could play out.

From what Rossi is saying today, the Penguins want his next deal to take him to retirement. That isn't a given or a must, but it's what they would prefer to do. Friedman and others are speculating in the 10 to 10.5M range.

My thoughts: Sign him to a 5 year deal for 8.7M AAV. If he wants more, fine, you are going to pay him more. But Sid's been a superstitious, routine type of guy and even though he deserves more than that, I think he stays with the same value.

If he goes up into the 10-11M range, he should realize this team has already missed the playoffs 2 years in a row and hasn't won a playoff series since 2018. The more money he takes, the less money available to put better players around him and plug holes. I won't blame him if he takes more...he deserves it, but it will hurt the team.

What does everyone else think?
I'm pretty sure Sid knows the financial situation already. I don't think he needs more money, I am sure he makes all the money he needs and if you throw in the endorsements he is sitting pretty. I would love for him to retire a Penguin but at this rate I would love to see him win a cup even more. I wouldn't mind seeing him play in Colorado next year. Or Toronto. Anywhere that he will have a legit chance to push the team over the hump and be clutch when needed. I think it would be fun to watch. Face it.....we are not going anywhere in the near future. We tried six ways to Sunday to rebuild on the fly. But this team hasn't even hit rock bottom yet. They can't even admit that Sully is the problem. Until they do that, they won't be able to get to where they need to be. We will still have Letang and Karlsson making idiotic mistakes at an increased rate next year. We will have Malkin a year older and with less drive, Jake won't be back....Stick a fork in em' They are done. Let Crosby go and put up points on another team and get another cup.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Post by penny lane »

Sid is not going to be Colorado 's 2nd Ray Bourque.
Last edited by penny lane on Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by Sams_Dog »

I think it will be longer than most people think. Probably 5 years I bet. Three would make sense. Four is optimistic but whatever, it's Sid. But they signed Malkin and Letang for more years than most people figured (a lot more for Letang) so I bet it's 5, And I bet he takes more money than before. He signed a team friendly deal with the last contract and I'm sure the union wasn't happy about it although he is a special case. Whatever it is, he's worth it. Hopefully he finishes his career un Pittsburgh. 5 x 10.
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Pens4Life »

3 year deal, 8M per - 39 yrs old when contract is up, to retire!?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by Pitts »

Pens4Life wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:17 am 3 year deal, 8M per - 39 yrs old when contract is up, to retire!?
They will take him to at least 40. I'm betting 5 x 8.7.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by Skatingpen »

1 year deal, trade him to a contender next deadline, get a 1st back. Then he resigns for another year with the pens, rinse and repeat!
stonewizard51
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stonewizard51 »

Sounds like a plan. :D
Sigwolf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Post by Sigwolf »

stonewizard51 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:02 pm Sounds like a plan. :D
Honestly, a lousy plan. Sure, the Pens could get some picks with this, but at the expense of Crosby playing his career as a Pen. That is rarified air, obtained by very few generational talents. He deserves that distinction. Crosby has meant the world to this team, and he should end his career without ever donning another sweater.
stonewizard51
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Post by stonewizard51 »

Ergo why I added the smiley face. Probably should have put the rolling eyes instead.
BT87711158

Post by BT87711158 »

Hello all
First time posting long time reader

I am hoping for a 6 X 8.7 extension for Sid

26 year career would match Gordie and Chelios for most all time

Also does Sid have dreams of 2000 points ? I hope he does

7 years to record 404 more points is completely doable assuming this continued "healthy" period of his career

I'd like to take this moment to thanks all of you for great discussions over the years and more specifically FLPensFan for all of his incredible insight and contrabutions
lemieuxReturns
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Post by lemieuxReturns »

BT87711158 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:55 pm Hello all
First time posting long time reader

I am hoping for a 6 X 8.7 extension for Sid

26 year career would match Gordie and Chelios for most all time

Also does Sid have dreams of 2000 points ? I hope he does

7 years to record 404 more points is completely doable assuming this continued "healthy" period of his career

I'd like to take this moment to thanks all of you for great discussions over the years and more specifically FLPensFan for all of his incredible insight and contrabutions

Welcome to the board!

I would be ok with an extension of 6 years as long as everyone understands his last years will not be what we have come to expect from Sid. Sometimes I think fans forget that players get older. There was almost zero grace given to Geno this season (1 year older than Sid) for his decline in play (even with horrendous linemates once again).

I think 8.7 does make sense but I also think he should look to make what Geno and Letang signed for 6M range.

If points are his end goal, then sorounding himself with better linemates is how it will happen. That only happens if he takes less. Although you still need a competent GM who doesn't just go and blow the savings on Graves types.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Post by KG »

I don’t see Sid signi by for 6 years. He’s mentioned going year to year. But I could see 3 x $8.7 to start.
dark_forces
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Post by dark_forces »

KG wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:24 pm I don’t see Sid signi by for 6 years. He’s mentioned going year to year. But I could see 3 x $8.7 to start.
I think he signs a 3 year extension. That gives us 4 more years of Sidney.
All signs point to him mirroring Letang's deal, which has 4 years remaining.
Malkin's deal will run out first—and he'll probably return to play a year in Russia—but I don't think Crosby wants to suit up without either one of them on the team.
From what I've read and inferred over the years, that's the most likely scenario.